Payap University: Class Notes

Lithobid

Hi all,

I am currently attending Payap University's Intensive Thai Study program in Chiang Mai. I thought it would be a nice idea to give a little back to the helpful members of Thai Visa, and decided to start this class notes thread. These are daily class notes of discussions and vocabulary that we talk about in the classroom.

The program here at Payap consists of 2, 1.5 hr. classes each morning. There is Listening and Speaking from 8:30-10:00 and Reading and Writing from 10:30-12:00. For the L/S section I'll list vocabulary that comes up in discussion. And for R/W I'll try to give examples & usages for any grammatical type vocabulary that comes along.

I am by no means an expert in the language, and even farther from a good typist. I will make daily mistakes I'm sure, but part of this Blog is to practice typing vocabulary to familiarize myself with the Thai keyboard. Hopefully this will inspire some daily contributions of examples and conversation about different usages, and concepts. One great bonus about TV is a diverse member group, which allows us to compare ideas across cultures and languages.

I hope this is helpful to some and brings along some knowledge and insight to the forum. Please feel free to add daily, especially if you are studying Thai elsewhere in Thailand!!

Lithobid :o

P.S. If you do type in Thai on this page, I ask that you please try to use a large font size 4 or greater for those of us learning to read the Thai language. Thank you. :D:D:D

Edited by Lithobid
  • Thanks 1

Class notes

Term 1

30/6/08

Speaking & Listening

General Discussion Vocabulary

ดาว - star

พระจันทร์ –Moon-เดือน

พระอาทิตย์์ – Sun

มีแดดIt is sunny. ("Have sunlight") Just the word 'sunlight' is แดด or แสงแดด

ผิว (skin) + ไหม้ = ผิวไหม้ – sunburn

Geographical Words

ประทศ - Country

ภาค – Region

จังหวัด – Province

อำเภอ – District

ตำบล – Division / District

หมู่บ้าน - Village

รถติด – Traffic

ติด – Translates to sticky, or stuck together

ทะเลทราย – Desert, ทร together makes sound

กระบองเพชร – Cactus

Vocabulary from the forest

ใบไม้ – leaf

ดอกไม้ – flower

กล้วยไม้ – orchid

เฟิร์น – fern

ลำธาร – stream

ชะนี – gibbon

นก – bird

ดิน – soil

หิน – rock

Class notes

Term 1

30/6/08

Reading & Writing

Example Vocabulary and Sentence Structure

เพิ่ง (จะ) – Just, or just finished doing something.

E.x. ผมเพิ่งทำงานเสร็จ (I just finished work) or without เสร็จ to indicate just beginning something

Ex. ผมเพิ่งเรียน (I just started to study)

ขยัน – do emphasize doing something "hard" i.e. work hard (ขยันทำงาน) study hard (ขยันเรืยน)

พักร้อน – vacation time, take vacation often used with ลา (to ask for)

E.x. เขาจะลาพักร้อนเดือนนี้ ( He will ask for vacation this month)

ทั้งคู่ & ทั้งสอง have the same meaning of both

E.x. ทั้งคู่เพิ่งแต่งงานกันประมาณหนึ่งปีและทั้งสองก็ขยันทำงานมาก

(Both just got married, about one year ago and both work very hard)

• Like 1

Have some Corrections for the post on the 30th.

หมู่บ้าน - (correction for Village)

ทะเลทราย – Desert, ทร together makes ฃ sound I think you mean "" "ฃ"

Getting used to the keyboard here!! LOL

As well, thank you David. :o

And

You should change the spelling of country, which you wrote as ประทเศ instead of ประเทศ

Thank you Riga! :D

Just a short note to anyone reading, if you find spelling errors I do appreciate corrections, I think about how many people read this post and did NOT see these mistakes. Please feel free to post corrections to any Class Notes postings.

Class notes

Term 1

Speaking & Listening

Directions

ตะวันเหนือ (North)

ตะวันตกเฉียงเหนือ ตะวันออกเฉียงเหนือ

(West / North) (East / North)

ตะวันตก (West) ตะวันออก (East)

ตะวันตกเฉียงใต้ ตะวันออกเฉียงใต้

(West / South) (East / South)

ตะวันใต้ (South)

Remember Thai expresses the adjective after the noun, so it comes out backwards for us Westerners.

Vocabulary

ทิศทาง- Direction, Way ภาค – Region

เฉียง – Slanted (opposite ตรง – straight)

Usage Sentences

1.ประเทศไทยมี 6 ภาค

Thailand has 6 regions.

2.ภาคเหนือมีภูเขามาก

The northern region has many mountains.

3.ภาคตะวันออกเฉียงเหนือกับภาคอีสานเหมือนกัน

The northeast region is also called Esarn.

Cheers

Lithobid :D

• Like 1

A note about the directions post, it appears that I've gotten into a bad habit, and forgot to prefix all the directions with "ทิศ" you'll need to add that in referring to the different directions.

(Giving Directions : Part A)

Vocabulary

ถนน - Road

สะพาน - Bridge

สาม แยก – 3-way intersection

สี่ แยก – 4-way intersection

มุม ถนน – Corner of the road

ห้อง – Corner of the room

ทาง ซ้าย – On your left

ขวา – On your right

ข้าง หน้า – In front of

หลัง – In back of

ตรงไป – go straight

เลี้ยว – Turn

ข้าม – Cross

ผ่าน – Pass

ถึง – Arrive

แล้วก็ – After that

ไปทางไหน – How do I get there? (What is the way)

Sentence Examples:

ร้านตัดผมไปทางไหน?

Where is the barber shop?

1.บนถนนสุขเกษมตรงไปผ่าน 7-11 และเลี้ยวซ้ายที่สามแยก

On Sukasem road go straight past 7 – 11 and turn left at the 3-way intersection.

2.หลังจากนั้นตรงไปเรื่อยๆ

After that keep going straight.

3. ร้านตัดผมอยู่ที่ทางขวาตรงข้ามร้านขนมปัง

The barber is on the right across from the bakery.

Cheers

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

A special thanks to Meadish for pinning this thread, and editing. I try to keep it as neat as possible but that's the side effect of learning. http://ic.payap.ac.th/certificate/thai/about.php This is the URL for Payap's current schedule, tuition fees, and contact #'s. I started this thread in part to peak interest, because I think they have a great program worth every penny. I know when I was searching for a school, it was hard to come by good 1st hand info, so please if you have any questions about the University or the Thai Studies program, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Lithobid :D

Giving Directions (Part :o

I've separated the directions into two sections, part A for giving directions to a place, and part B is more for describing where a place is, in relation.

Notice how กับ (with) is used in most of these words.

In class I noted the unusual dictionary definition for เยื้องกับ, I think a better translation for common usage would be "up, down the street from". David I'm sure you have advise here? :D

เยื้องกับ – Diagonally Opposite

ระหว่าง – Between

ติดกับ – Next to

ตรงข้ามกับ – Across from

ใก้ลกับ – Close to

อยู่บนถนน "___" – On "____" road.

อยู่ในซอย – On the street (Notice how we use บน for road, and ใน for ซอย)

ทางไป – On the way to

อยู่บนถนนทางไป – On the street on the way to…(this is good to use if you don't know the name of the street, but you do know where it goes ex.)

อยู่บนถนนทางไปเชียงใหม่ - (on the road on the way to Chiang Mai)

Example Sentences

I've attached a map to this post. Let's start with the

City Hospital (โรงพยาบาลเมือง).

โรงพยาบาลเมืองอยู่ใหน?

(Where is the City Hospital?)

โรงพยาบาลติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนนMadison Ave. กับ 3rd Street.

(The City Hospital is next to the University, and down the street from the City hall, on Madison Ave. and 3rd Street.)

Now take a look at the map, and try describing a location to your friend!

map.doc

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

In Texas we say "catty-corner from" for เยื้องกับ

catacorner

adj 1: slanted across a polygon on a diagonal line; "set off in

a catty-corner direction across the vacant lot" [syn:

catacorner, cata-cornered, catercorner, cater- cornered

, catty-corner, catty-cornered, kitty- corner

, kitty-cornered]

That's exactly what I was trying to think of! catty-corner, Cheers David :o Knew you'd get it in better terms!

I believe I first heard that term in Wv growing up.

Edited by Lithobid

A special thanks to Meadish for pinning this thread, and editing. I try to keep it as neat as possible but that's the side effect of learning. http://ic.payap.ac.th/certificate/thai/about.php This is the URL for Payap's current schedule, tuition fees, and contact #'s. I started this thread in part to peak interest, because I think they have a great program worth every penny. I know when I was searching for a school, it was hard to come by good 1st hand info, so please if you have any questions about the University or the Thai Studies program, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Lithobid :D

Giving Directions (Part :o

I've separated the directions into two sections, part A for giving directions to a place, and part B is more for describing where a place is, in relation.

Notice how กับ (with) is used in most of these words.

In class I noted the unusual dictionary definition for เยื้องกับ, I think a better translation for common usage would be "up, down the street from". David I'm sure you have advise here? :D

เยื้องกับ – Diagonally Opposite

ระหว่าง – Between

ติดกับ – Next to

ตรงข้ามกับ – Across from

ใก้ลกับ – Close to

อยู่บนถนน "___" – On "____" road.

อยู่ในซอย – On the street (Notice how we use บน for road, and ใน for ซอย)

ทางไป – On the way to

อยู่บนถนนทางไป – On the street on the way to…(this is good to use if you don't know the name of the street, but you do know where it goes ex.)

อยู่บนถนนทางไปเชียงใหม่ - (on the road on the way to Chiang Mai)

Example Sentences

I've attached a map to this post. Let's start with the

City Hospital (โรงพยาบาลเมือง).

โรงพยาบาลเมืองอยู่ใหน?

(Where is the City Hospital?)

โรงพยาบาลติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนนMadison Ave. กับ 3rd Street.

(The City Hospital is next to the University, and down the street from the City hall, on Madison Ave. and 3rd Street.)

Now take a look at the map, and try describing a location to your friend!

I've been in the habit of putting a อยู่ before all the location placement words in your sentences. Do they teach it without the อยู่?

e.g. (โรงพยาบาล

อยู่ติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนน Writing it out again I see that I would actually use the อยู่ before the first one but not repeat it for a second phrase in the same sentence. What do they say about the use of อยู่ in sentences like that?

Edited by CSS

I've been in the habit of putting a อยู่ before all the location placement words in your sentences. Do they teach it without the อยู่?

e.g. (โรงพยาบาล

อยู่ติดกับมหาวิทยาลัยเมืองและเยื้องกับศาลากลางบนถนน Writing it out again I see that I would actually use the อยู่ before the first one but not repeat it for a second phrase in the same sentence. What do they say about the use of อยู่ in sentences like that?

Well, you're in the right habit :o I talked with my instructors, and they said either way is correct, though using อยู่ is better. I've heard them leave it out in conversation if they are speaking quickly, although speech tends to be much less formal, so many Thai words spoken one way, and written another.

Lithobid :D

A quick note on question words, and replies, looking at this sheet really helped solidify how and when to use the question words. Soometimes I find when learning (even a simple topic) I tend to get quite confused and quick review sheets like these really help.

Question Word------How to Answer

อะไร------------------------Noun

กี่ + บาท(Clf.) -------------Number + บาท(Clf.)

เท่าไร-----------------------""

กี + Clf.--------------------Number + Clf.

เป็นยังไง--------------------Adjective

ใคร-------------------------Person

ที่ไหน-----------------------Place

Verb + ไหม----------------Verb or (ไม่ + Verb)

ใช่ไหม----------------------ใช่ or ไม่ใช่

Question Word + บ้าง-----Multiple answers using conjunction กับ

Noun (หรือ) Noun----------Chose one

Again, I know these are basic, though language is progressive, and review never hurts. Especially seeing something presented in a different way.

Enjoy

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

Learned some great things today, including what and what not to say adressing family members! In class we drew out family trees, although, having much trouble already copying and pasting Word text into TV, I thought I'd just run some lists for this.

Starting with Generations – รุ่น

Thai separate the family into two categories by father and mother. In English we'd say mom's mom, and dad's mom, but Thais have unique words for each person (for the most part).

ปู่- Grandfather, father of father

ย่า – Grandmother, mother of father

ตา – Grandfather, father of Mother

ยาย – Grandmother, Mother of mother

The grandfather or grandmother of either of the parents is "ทวด".

This first generation is known as (รุ่นปู่ย่าตายาย) they are addressed individually by these names because of their singularity in this position, similar to English, Grandma, Grandpa Ect.

The next step is the papa's and the mama's (note: all of these are from your prospective)

This generation is known as (รู่นพ่อแม่ลูงป้าน้าอา)

พ่อ - Father

แม่ - Mother

ลูง - Brother of Father (older)

ป้า - Sister of Father (older)

อา - Sister / Brother (Father's side younger)

น้า – Sister / Brother (Mother's side –younger)

Some extra words for you.

หย่า – taken to mean divorce or separated, you can also use แยก

เลี้ยง – use in front of แม่ or พ่อ for step-mother/father

ลูกกำพร้า – orphan

(พ่อ/แม่)บุญธรรม – one who has adopted a child out of Poomsan Becker บุญ means good deeds or merit, ธรรม – as Buddhist Teaching, or Dharma.

David, I'd love to know what is a layman's take on this word บุญธรรม to me there is something there that western culture doesn't address in the meaning.

That's part of the family for now,

Cheers

Edited by meadish_sweetball
Slight correction (thanks to David).
  • Like 1

Lithobid, if you have the diagrams on your computer you can post the digital pictures as an attachment to your post. But I assume they are drawn by hand so that would not be workable?

I enjoy reading these and I am sure many others find them useful as well.

You're quite right, I have many handouts that I have permission to use online, althought I am awaiting access to the Payap Library where they have a scanner. I shall post them with post references when I get access which should be sometime in the next 2 weeks. As always thanks for your editing help, no matter how much I proof they always seem to get by! Helps a lot to have other sets of eyes wandering round the page!

Cheers!

Lithobid

Hope all had a nice holiday! I know I did with an enjoyable bike ride up to Chiang Rai.

Some vocab from last week that has yet to make it on, they started out with body parts for humans, and then today we studied some animals along with verbs in speaking class. Today in writing class we put together sentences using the body parts we'd learned to describe humans, and supplemented those "special" parts for animals.

Humans - Body Parts

จมูก - Nose

ตา - Eyes

หน้าอก - Chest

ปาก - Mouth

ฟัน - Teeth

ไหล่ - Shoulders

หน้า - Face

หู - Ears

นม - Breast

ผม - Hair

หัว - Head

เอว - Waist

ริมฝีปาก - Lips

คิ้ว - Eyebrow

ขา - Leg

ลิ้น - Tongue

ขนตา - Eyelash

เข่า - Knee

แก้ม - Cheek

คาง - Chin

สะโพก - Hips

คอ - Throat

แขน - Arm

สมอง - Brain

มือ - Hand

นิ้ว - Fingers

ก้น - Butt

เล็บ - Fingernails

ท้อง - Stomach

หลัง - Back

ข้อ – used for jointed parts ข้อมือ – wrist ข้อศอก – elbow ข้อเท้า – ankle

For extra practice, try and describe your friends, or family, using these nouns, and add some adjectives, ใหญ่ เล็ก สีดํา สีเทา to describe their body parts, I find this really helps solidifying the body parts in my mind. Even recite it in your head about strangers that you see. More Later

Cheers

Lithobid! :o

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

Class Notes

Animals and Animal body parts

To extend the vocab of body parts we discussed some animals. They are classified into several logical categories.

สัตว์ + เลี้ยง – Pets

แมว, กระต่าย, หมา, ม้า

* ไก่, เป็ด, แพะ, แกะ (Farmed animals are classified under สัตว์เลี้ยง)

สัตว์ + ป่า – Wild

งู, สิงห์โต, เสือ

สัตว์ + นํ้า – Live in water

ปลา, ปู, กุ้ง, ปลาหมึก

สัตว์ + ปีก – That Fly, or have wings

ไก่, นก

สัตว์ + บก – Live on land

วัว, ควาย

เลี้ยงสัตว์ – to take care of animals

คุณเลี้ยงสัตว์อะไรบ้าง?

Body parts are similar as for humans, although there are some special words.

หาง – Tail

เขี้ยว – Fang or Canine tooth

หนวด – Whiskers

เล็บ – Claws or Nails

ขน – Fur, body hair, including feathers for birds.

งวง - Trunk of Elephant

งา - Elephant Tusks

For practice here, describe animals you see, or pets that you take care of, and again try and use as many adjectives as you can for further practice. More later!

Cheers

• Like 1

We have been reviewing for the last few days, although today we hit some new material. Here are some new vocabulary words.

Sickness – ความเจ็บป่วย Symptoms –อาการ

คัดจมูก – Stuffy Nose

ปวดหัว – Headache

เป็นไข้ – Fever

ท้องเสีย – Have Diarrhea

เพลีย – Have no energy, listless

ปวดท้อง - Stomach Ache

จาม – Sneeze

ไปห้องน้ำบอยๆ – Goto the toilet often

น้ำมูก – Runny Nose

เป็นลม – To faint

เบื่ออาหาร – Not hungry (Literally "bored of food")

ท้องเดิน – To have Diarrhea

สั่น- Chills, to shiver

เรอ – Burp

ไอ – Cough

อาเจียน – Throw Up ( Informal - อ้วก)

มีไข้ - To have a fever

Here is some more vocabulary to use in conversation with a Dr. or to talk about health conditions.

ควร- Should

รักษา – Treat, Take care

ดูแล- Take care

สุขภาพ – Health

แข็งแรง – Strong, Healthy

เสมอ – Always

ออกกำลังกาย – Exorcise

สะอาด – Clean

ปลอดภัย – Safe (Opposite – อันตราย)

เจ็บป่วย - To be sick (ไม่สบาย)

พักผ่อน – To rest

เพียงพอ – Enough

ทันที – Suddenly, quickly

ส่วนใหญ่ = ส่วนมาก – Most of

ดังนั้น - So

รีบ – Hurry

ปรึกษา – Consult

คนป่วย = คนไข่ – Patient

More to come enjoy!

Cheers

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

Here's a little reading practice about going to see the doctor. Good for review of health words, and obviously sentence construction. I didn't write this, just copied it for typing practice, hope the mistakes are few and far between. Enjoy!

ไปหาหมอ

เมื่ออยู่ต่างประเทศควรรักษาสุขภาพให้แข็งแรงอยู่เสมอ นักศึกษาควรออกกำลังกายทุกวัน หรือเล่นกีฬาก็ได้และกินอาหารที่สะอาดและปลอดภัย เพราะอาหารทำให้เจ็บป่วย เช่น ท้องเสียได้ การทำงานหนักมากทำให้ปวดหัว และ ไม่สบายได้ นักศึกษาต้องพักผ่อนให้เพียงพอ

เมือไม่สบายควรไปหาหมอทันที ไม่ควรซื้อยาจากร้านขายยามากินเอง จะไปหาหมอที่โรงพยาบาลก็ได้ หรือที่คลินิคก็ได้ หมอคนไทยส่วนใหญ่พูดภาษาอังกฤษได้ดี

ดังนั้นจำไว้ว่าเมื่อปวดหัว ตัวร้อนเป็นไข้ ปวดกล้ามเนื้อ ปวดท้อง ท้องเสีย หรือ เมื่อมีอาการไม่สบาย ควรรีบปรึกษาหมอ

จงตอบคำถามต่อไปนี้

๑ เมื่ออยู่ต่างประเทศ ควรทำอย่างไร

๒ นักศึกษาควนออกกำลังกายหรือเล่นกีฬาหรือไม่

๓ ทำไมนักศึกษาควรกินอาหารสะอาดและปลอดภัย

๔ ถ้าทำงานหนักมาก จะเป็นอย่างไร

๕ เมื่อมีอาการไม่สบายควรรีบไปปรึกษาใคร

Cheers

Source: Payap University Intensive Thai Studies Program

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been a while since my last post, though studies are still going well, and much improvement is happening! I cannot suggest Payap enough for those of you who wish to gain a stronger command of the Thai language. This weeks topic, cleaning house!

ทำความสะอาด

คำศัพท์

เพิ่ง – Just

เลื่อน – Slide

ผึ่งแดด – Hang in the sun

จัด – To straighten things up

วาง – To place

เช็ด – To dust

ถู – To mop

อุปกรณ์ – Equipment or tools

เครื่องนอน – Bedding

กะละมัง – Wash basin

ถังน้ำ – Water bucket

ไม้กวาด – Broom

ไม้ถูพื้น – Mop with handle

ผ้าถูพื้น – Hand mop (towel for mopping the floor)

เครื่องสำอาง – Make-up

บทสนทนา

ก: ห้องสกปรกอีกแล้ว เพิ่งทำความสะอาดเมื่อสองสามวันนี้เอง

ข: เรวช่วยกันทำอีกทีดีไหม อีกไม่กี่วันก็จะถึงวันปีใหม่แล้ว

ก: ก็ดี ทำกันตอนนี้ไหม ผมจะไปเอาอุปกรณ์ทำความสะอาดมา

ข: ฉันจะเลื่อนเตียงกับโต๊ะไว้ก่อน

ค: ผมคิดว่า เราเอาเครื่องนอนไปผึ่งแดดด้วยดีกว่า วันนี้มีแดดดี

ข: ก็ดี เหมือนกัน

ค: หนังสือก็ควรจัดใหม่นะ

ข: กะละมัง ถังน้ำ แปรงสีฟัน หวีและเครื่องสำอาง วางแบบนี้ไม่ได้นะ

ก: อุปกรณ์ทำความสะอาดมาแล้วครับ

ค: ขอไม้กวาดให้ผมครับ ผมจะกวาดห้อง

ก: ผมจะเช็ดโต๊ะและเก้าอี้ก่อน แล้วจะถูพื้นทีหลัง

ข: ดีคะ ทำให้สะอาดนะคะ ฉันจะจัดหนัสือ

ค: เราหารูปสวย ๆ มาไว้สักรูปดีไหม

ก: ก็ดี เอารูปนี้ไหม

ค: ครับ สวยดี

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy all, Study continues, we had an interesting lesson a few weeks ago concerning labeling, and I thought I should share. I'm sure many of you have spent time staring at the backs of shampoo and medicine bottles pondering, perhaps this helps clear some things up.

คำศัพท์

แก้ปวดแก้ไข้แก้ไอแก้เจ็บคอ – Cure – ache, fever Ect.

อาการ – Symptoms

คำเตือน – Warning

ตับโรคตับ – Liver, liver disease

ปรึกษา – Discuss / consult

ปวด – Pain, ache เมื่อย – fatigued tired

แผง – (Clf.) Pack

เกิน Over exceeding -- ไม่เกิน

เป็นพิษ – Toxic มีพิษ – contains poison

ไต – Kidneys โรคไต – Kidney disease (Renal Failure)

แพทย์ – Doctor

เภสัชกร – Pharmacist

อุณหภูมิ – Temperature

รับประทาน – Formal for "eat" (you can see where ทาน comes from)

ไทลินอล

ยาเม็ดลดไข้ แก้ปวด พาราเซตามอล 500 มิลลิกรัม

วิธีใช้ (Directions)

รับประทานทุก 4 หรือ 6 ชั่วโมง เมื่อมีอาการ

ไม่ควรรับประทานเกินวันละ 4 ครั้ง

ผู้ใหญ่ รับประทานครั้งละ 1-2 เม็ด

เด็ก 6-12 ปี รับประทานครั้งละ ½-1 เม็ด

คำเตือน (Warning)

1. ยานี้จะทำให้เป็นพิษต่อตับได้ ไม่ควรใช้ยานี้ติดต่อเกิน 5 วัน

2. ผู้ที่เป็นโรคตับ โรคไต ควรปรึกษาแพทย์หรือเภสัชกรก่อนใช้ยา

3. ห้มใช้สำหรับอาการปวดเมื่อย เนื่องจากทำงานหนัก

เก็บในที่มีอุณหภูมิต่ำกว่า 30 องศาเซียส

แผงละ 4 และ 10 เม็ด

ผลิต 05032008

หมดอายุ 05032009

Translation

Medicine for fever or aches, paracetamol 500 mg.

Directions:

Take every 4 to 6 hours when you have symptoms

You shouldn't take more than 4 pills in 1 day

Adults take 1-2 pills for each dose

Children 6-12 years of age should take ½-1 pill

Warning:

• This medicine can be poisonous if taken for extended periods of time, do not exceed 5 days.
  • If you have liver, or kidney disease you should consult your doctor or pharmacist before use.
  • Stop use if you have severe aches, or fatigue and avoid heavy exorcise while using.

Keep at a temperature lower than 30 degrees Celsius

Packs of 4 and 10 pills

Cheers! Lithobid

Edited by Lithobid

• 4 weeks later...

Usages of the verb ไป and มา

These two little verbs, are fairly straight forward, unless they are combined with other verbs such as โทร (to call) or เอา (want,take,bring)

Here are some common sentence structures that are used in speaking, and I feel setting them side by side makes it a little easier to remember which is which.

Basic Structures

A:

เอา__(n.)__ไป = to take something somewhere

Ex. พรุ่งนี้ผมจะเอาหนังสือไปโรงเรียน

(Tomorrow I will take my book to school.)

เอา__(n.)__มา = to bring something somewhere

Ex. ตอนบ่ายคุณควรเอามือถือมาที่นี้อีกครั้ง

(In the afternoon you should bring your phone here again.)

*นำ is substituted for เอา for a more formal spoken language*

นำ_(n.)_ไป

นำ_(n.)_มา

*Note that these structures are used with nouns and they must be things. Do not use this structure with people, or animals, พา should be used instead.

B:

ไปเอา_(n.)__ to go to get something

Ex. ตอนนี้ผมไปเอาอาหารไทย

(Right now I am going to get some Thai food.)

มาเอา_(n.)__ to come and get something

Ex. เธอมาเอาหนังสือวันนี้

(She will come get the book today.)

C:

โทรไปหา_(Obj.)

โทรมาหา_(Obj.)

โทรมาหา- to get a call from someone, used

1. if talking about someone going to call you

Ex. เอธจะโทรมาหาผมวันนี้

(She is will call me today)

2. If talking about a call from someone,

Ex. แม่ทโทรมาหาผมที่เชียงไหม่

(Mom called me in Chiang Mai)

โทรไปหา – To call someone

Ex. ผมจะโทรไปหาเพื่อนเกี่ยวกับไปเที่ยวคืนนี้

(I will call my friend about going out tonight)

I learned these structures separately, and found it much easier to get straight when they are put together. Hope this helps solve the ไป มา usage confusion. (Unless I'm the only one confused! Lol)

Cheers

Lithobid

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Usages of the verb ไป and มา

These two little verbs, are fairly straight forward, unless they are combined with other verbs such as โทร (to call) or เอา (want,take,bring)

Here are some common sentence structures that are used in speaking, and I feel setting them side by side makes it a little easier to remember which is which.

Basic Structures

A:

เอา__(n.)__ไป = to take something somewhere

Ex. พรุ่งนี้ผมจะเอาหนังสือไปโรงเรียน

(Tomorrow I will take my book to school.)

เอา__(n.)__มา = to bring something somewhere

Ex. ตอนบ่ายคุณควรเอามือถือมาที่นี้อีกครั้ง

(In the afternoon you should bring your phone here again.)

*นำ is substituted for เอา for a more formal spoken language*

นำ_(n.)_ไป

นำ_(n.)_มา

*Note that these structures are used with nouns and they must be things. Do not use this structure with people, or animals, พา should be used instead.

B:

ไปเอา_(n.)__ to go to get something

Ex. ตอนนี้ผมไปเอาอาหารไทย

(Right now I am going to get some Thai food.)

มาเอา_(n.)__ to come and get something

Ex. เธอมาเอาหนังสือวันนี้

(She will come get the book today.)

C:

โทรไปหา_(Obj.)

โทรมาหา_(Obj.)

โทรมาหา- to get a call from someone, used

1. if talking about someone going to call you

Ex. เอธจะโทรมาหาผมวันนี้

(She is will call me today)

2. If talking about a call from someone,

Ex. แม่ทโทรมาหาผมที่เชียงไหม่

(Mom called me in Chiang Mai)

โทรไปหา – To call someone

Ex. ผมจะโทรไปหาเพื่อนเกี่ยวกับไปเที่ยวคืนนี้

(I will call my friend about going out tonight)

I learned these structures separately, and found it much easier to get straight when they are put together. Hope this helps solve the ไป มา usage confusion. (Unless I'm the only one confused! Lol)

Cheers

Lithobid

I wondered why not just say โทรไปถึง well apparently some people say that the หา used to be necessary when there were not a lot of 'phones to go round and it was a question of finding the person. When telephoning a house 'phone we still say ขอสายคุณ...... the reply is often คุณ.....พูดคะ

Great post, Lithobid. It is interesting to see that Thai in the "ไป" "มา" structure retains some of the flavor of the English "bring" and "take" model, a distinction often lost in commonly spoken English.

Your information will be very helpful to us learners. Thanks again.