Payap University: Class Notes

Lithobid

Thanks Lithobid,

A great effort. A little too advanced for me at the moment as I've been lazy with reading and writing Thai, but it has given me a bit of a shove towards starting again and I'll be back when I progress from gaw gai, kaw kai.

• 1 month later...

Sorry boys and gals, but I've been busy, I'm glad Meadish hasn't yanked my pinned post lol.

Here's another one that really urks my chain in usage.

ไม่ค่อย __Adj./Adv./V.__เท่าไหร่(เท่าไร) - This is how you say "Not very X" or "I don't X very much" [adverbs and verbs in Thai are overlapping classes in this respect]

Now in my beginning days I would just say ไม่ชอบ – I don't like, but this isn't the case with most things.

Do you like to eat ผัดไทย? Well, yes, but I don't eat it often, in fact rarely, so to graduate in the language a bit I would say

ใช่ ผมกินผัดไทย แต่ไม่ค่อยบ่อยเท่าไร(เท่าไหร่) - Yes, I eat PatThai, but not very often.

ใช่ ผมกินผัดไทย แต่ไม่ค่อยชอบเท่าไร(เท่าไหร่)– Yes, I eat Pat Thai, but I don't like it very much.

My problem is the ending structure of เท่าไร – how much which here when applied to the end of the sentence, changes it's meaning from "How Much" to "How Often"

This one always racks my brain. Hope this helps some of you, Happy Holidays, and again apologies for not posting for so long.

Cheers,

Lithobid

Edited by meadish_sweetball
Corrected spelling and tried to remove leftover formatting tags.

Please allow me to correct some parts.

ไม่ขอย__Adj./N./v__เท่าไร - this is how you say not very much.

It should be ไม่ค่อย __Adj./Adv./V.__เท่าไหร่(เท่าไร).

ไช่ผมกินผัดไทยแต่ไม่ชอบเท่าไร – Yes I eat Pat Thai, but not very often.

It should be "ใช่ ผมกินผัดไทย แต่ไม่ค่อยบ่อยเท่าไร(เท่าไหร่) - Yes, I eat PatThai, but not very often.

Or,"ใช่ ผมกินผัดไทย แต่ไม่ค่อยชอบเท่าไร(เท่าไหร่) - Yes, I eat PatThai, but I don't like it much.

Please allow me to correct some parts.
ไม่ขอย__Adj./N./v__เท่าไร - this is how you say not very much.

It should be ไม่ค่อย __Adj./Adv./V.__เท่าไหร่(เท่าไร).

ไช่ผมกินผัดไทยแต่ไม่ชอบเท่าไร – Yes I eat Pat Thai, but not very often.

It should be "ใช่ ผมกินผัดไทย แต่ไม่ค่อยบ่อยเท่าไร(เท่าไหร่) - Yes, I eat PatThai, but not very often.

Or,"ใช่ ผมกินผัดไทย แต่ไม่ค่อยชอบเท่าไร(เท่าไหร่) - Yes, I eat PatThai, but I don't like it much.

A million thanks yoot, I appreciate your attention to my F&^%$ up's! Lol that's why I love this language. Please keep up the help in future postings!

Cheers

Lithobid

So we've entered a new year, and some new trials, first of all, as a pilot myself, hat's off to Sully putting her down in the Hudson. But moving on,

I thought I should move backwards a little bit, and talk about some commonly used words, but used in different ways. Most of you should be familiar with the expression เวลาว่าง – Free time. In fact you've probably learned to say คุณมีเวลาว่างไหม – do you have some free time?

Let's start

Some Vocabulary first.

ว่าง - free

ด่ำ - evening

เรา – we. us

กินเลี้ยง – to banquet

สโมสร – a club

เมา - to get drunk (I think we've all heard this one before hehe)

ดื่ม – to drink

Example:

ก. ค่ำนี้คุณว่างไหมครับ

ข. ว่างค่ะ

ก. ค่ำนี้เราจะทานบาร์บีคิวสเต๊กกัน คุณมาทานด้วยกันกับเราสิครับ (that word is English for Barbecue and steak [บาร์บีคิว] [สเต๊ก] )

ข. ดีจังเลย ตกลงฉันจะไปค่ะ

Translation:

A. Are you free tonight?

B. Yes. I am free.

A. Tonight we are having barbecued steak. Why don't you come and eat with us?

B. Suits me fine. I'd love to come.

** Taken from class notes at Payap University's ITP Program.***

Cheers

Lithobid

Edited by meadish_sweetball
  • Like 1

Just finished a refreshing shower, if that’s what you should call it. I lived in Phuket for 2 years, and never had anything but a bowl and a 50gal trash bin in the bathroom. This morning, was cold in Chiang Mai, and the balance has changed a bit, I turn the power of the water heater to Nuclear and then allow single drops of water to flow from the faucet. This way I can get luke-warm water. Oh well, never mind my hygiene troubles on to the next problem at hand.

ทำไม_sbj.__ไม่ – why don’t __sbj.___

ทำไมเราไม่ – Why don’t we……..

ผมได้อยู่แล้ว – It’s ok with me.

These two are great next level speaking phrases, and are also more polite than the beginning mutterings most of us learn.

ทำไมเราไม่ไปกินข้าวกัน – “why don’t we go and eat together”. This is a really polite way to invite someone to go and eat with you.

ผมได้อยู่แล้ว – “It’s ok with me” This phrase is one I’ve begun to use rather than saying ผมบอกคุณแล้ว – “I’ve told you already.”

I know those of you who work with Thai’s 11:59 comes along and you can feel the tremor through the floor of legs shaking in anticipation of LUNCH! What would most commonly happen is, one member of staff would ask me if Id like to join in, and I’d say ได้ครับ , and then the next member of staff would ask the same thing. After being asked 20-30 times, I would get a little โมโห “angry” and say ทำไมคุณถามผมบ่อยๆ ผมบอกคุณแล้วอยากไป!!! –“Why do you keep asking me I told you already I want to join for lunch!”

Now, in my aged, wiser years, I’ve found the best response to repeated questions of the same subject matter is, ฉัน/ผมได้อยู่แล้ว and have actually found, if I use this phrase, I’m not asked repeatedly.

Hope this helps some of you along, never give up, and never do too much in one day, after all this is Thailand.

Cheers

Lithobid

ทำไมเราไม่ไปกินข่าวกัน

ทำไมเราไม่ไปกินข้าวกัน

Boy if you had a nickle for every time, you'd be a rich man by now, Thanks again.

P.S. I thought that looked funny when I typed it.

Lithobid

Just a short one today, for I have an appointment with my teacher soon.

Expressions with ไปส่ง – “to see someone off”

Vocab:

เมื่อคืน- last night

เธอ- you (woman) she/her

ไปส่ง- to see (someone) off

สนาม - Field

บิน – to fly

สนามบิน – the airport

เพื่อน - Friend

ราวๆ / ประมาณ – Approximately, about

Conversation

ก. เมื่อคืนนี้เธอไปอยู่ที่ไหนมา – Where were you last night?

ข. ฉันไปส่งเกร็กที่สนามบิน – I went to the airport to see Gregg off.

ก. อย่างนี้นี่เอง – Oh, I see

อย่างนี้นี่เอง – This is a great expression, if you happen to be confused and then the light bulb comes on!

Cheers

Lithobid

Another good expression to know is

ไม่ล่ะ – better not

I find this quite handy when Thai’s want me to do something, that I have no interest in I.E. drinking เล่า in the middle of the day or going far to eat or whatever.

Another funny one is

โธ่ – Oh! (which you think would be โอ้)

Follow this short conversation.

ก. ไปข้างนอกหาอะไรกินกันไหมเธอ – How about going out for some food?

ข. ไม่ล่ะค่ะ – I better not

ก. โธ่ มาเถอะน่า ไปกันเถอะ – Oh. Come on. Let’s go!

ข. เอ้า….ไปก็ไป ฉันอยากพักเหมือนกัน – Well, I guess I’ll go, I need to take a break anyway.

Take them as they come, good expression this one, I use it often.

Cheers

Lithobid

*** Class notes taken from Payap University ATP program ***

Edited by Lithobid
  • Like 1

I find this quite handy when Thai’s want me to do something, that I have no interest in I.E. drinking เล่า in the middle of the day or going far to eat or whatever.

เล่า should be เหล้า

I find this quite handy when Thai's want me to do something, that I have no interest in I.E. drinking เล่า in the middle of the day or going far to eat or whatever.

เล่า should be เหล้า

Thanks my friend, I let that one slip.

Cheers

Lithobid

Well, I thought today we’d work on let’s. It’s these little phrases, I find that you can tack on to the end of sentences, or the beginnings, that really make the people your speaking with feel like your understood.

ก็แล้วกัน - Let’s

ก. วันพฤหัสนี้คุณสะดวกไหม – Is this Thursday OK with you?

ข. เสยใจ วันพฤหัสผมจะออกไปนอกเมือง- Sorry, I’ll be out of town on Thursday.

ก. ถ้างั้น สุดสัปดาห์หน้าก็แล้วกัน Well, let’s meet at the end of next week

ข. ดีครับ – That’s good.

Short but sweet enjoy you studies all.

Cheers

Lithobid

** Notes taken from Payap University's ATP program **

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all that information. I will definitely look at that school as Chiang mai looks very interesting. :o

Thanks also for all that Thai vocabulary. Do you feel that you can exchange easily with local people? How long have you been learning at that school yet?

Just one notice that I have to do:

"Remember Thai expresses the adjective after the noun, so it comes out backwards for us Westerners."

Actually, as a French Westerner, it is quite perfect for me because the way to build the sentences in Thai is pretty much similar to French.

Thanks a lot for all that information. I will definitely look at that school as Chiang mai looks very interesting. :o

Thanks also for all that Thai vocabulary. Do you feel that you can exchange easily with local people? How long have you been learning at that school yet?

Just one notice that I have to do:

"Remember Thai expresses the adjective after the noun, so it comes out backwards for us Westerners."

Actually, as a French Westerner, it is quite perfect for me because the way to build the sentences in Thai is pretty much similar to French.

I teach Thai and English private classes here in CM and one of my English students is French, but he has no interest in learning Thai. I said to him "but your grammar structures are identical! it would be so easy" - oy ve

You're right, Thai would be easy for your because of grammar structure, but it will be quite hard tonaly, and also for your pronuciation, unless you've learned english and can return your pallete soud to be quite neutral.

I've been studying at Payap now for 8 months, and am going to continue for another year. They have a wonderful program.

Cheers

Lithobid

• 2 weeks later...

hi Lithobid.

could you please tell me that how and who i should contact to if i want to attend intensive thai classes in payap university? just email the application form or have make appointment with somebody else? thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
hi Lithobid.

could you please tell me that how and who i should contact to if i want to attend intensive thai classes in payap university? just email the application form or have make appointment with somebody else? thank you!

You want to go and register with the application form at the Graduate Building located between the church, and the library, and goto the second floor room 208. There you need to find either, Ajahn Boy, Ajahn Noi, or Ajahn Um and they will level test you. After that you have to pay at the finance office, and you're set begin classes!

Cheers and good luck

Lithobid!

When do you continue with the notes?

Good question! I have stopped studying intensive Thai at Payap, because, I've been hired as an English teacher there. I've also reached a point of study, where I can go on my own, and consult teachers here and there with grammar questions. I will try to keep posting grammar constructions in this forum, though perhaps, we need to change the name of the forum. I highly encourage, all of you other wonderful posters out there, to add to the Grammar here. Perhaps this could becom the "Grammar forum" where different constructs can be discussed. Thanks to all, good luck with your studies.

Cheers

Lithobid!

Hey,

how do people rate Payap?

I'm looking to study Thai in Chiangmai and am looking for the best place to learn.

I'm aiming for fluency in speaking, reading, and writing, maybe even sitting for the grade 6 exam.

I'm not after a quick fix, and am looking to put in the hours, but I am looking for the most efficient course available; quality is more important than the cost.

Thanks

Morien

Hey,

how do people rate Payap?

I'm looking to study Thai in Chiangmai and am looking for the best place to learn.

I'm aiming for fluency in speaking, reading, and writing, maybe even sitting for the grade 6 exam.

I'm not after a quick fix, and am looking to put in the hours, but I am looking for the most efficient course available; quality is more important than the cost.

Thanks

Morien

Hi Morien,

Payap is a great place to start, they'll get you going with reading and writing. To get to the grade 6 level takes a lot of work, I don't study at Payap anymore, because they don't have a level high enough for me, but I'm still miles away from passing the P6 exam. I think that after 6-7 months with Payap you will be able to self-study, for another year or so, and then look at taking some university courses in Thai. I've also heard that Chiang Mai university has an advanced 1 year program for Diplomats, but I don't know much about it.

Cheers

Lithobid

Thanks for that Lithobid.

Hmm. Yeah, Payap is sounding more interesting to me now.

Do you know much about it in comparison to some of the other courses on offer? Say Corner Stone?

How would you rank their curriculum?

Perhaps I should start a new thread to ask this..

Thanks a lot

Morien

Thanks for that Lithobid.

Hmm. Yeah, Payap is sounding more interesting to me now.

Do you know much about it in comparison to some of the other courses on offer? Say Corner Stone?

How would you rank their curriculum?

Perhaps I should start a new thread to ask this..

Thanks a lot

Morien

Well, I don't know other schools, but to rank Payap I would have to say that it's wonderful in giving you extra help. If you were lost during a class, they always go the extra mile to help you understand (IF YOU ASK THEM!!!!@!) I only say that because I've seen student after student walk out of a class disappointed, but do they even approach the teacher (NO!). Payap was so gracious to me that after studying Thai for 7 months with them they didn't have a regular curriculum course for me because I was at a higher level and the head of the Thai Language department, taught me for free for two months! They are great people at Payap, the key is, getting into the right level course, and if it’s lower than your level, they will hammer you with writing and reading. If it’s higher, you can be more like a mouse and just enjoy.

For all others that read this who have never taken a language course. In every class, you will always have multiple level’s of students; some good at reading, some at writing, and some at speaking. I strongly recommend surveying Payap to see if it is the right course/style/environment for you.

When it all comes down to me, I always find that it’s “how much time can I put into it” that is the main factor. At Payap, you can be a 3-4 hour a day (self-study ) commitment, or just a 3 hour class, that was fun commitment. It’s up to you.

Cheers

Lithobid!

Hi Lithobid, is there a set of minimum criteria to meet (e.g. degree) before I can take this course? Btw, I have some basic knowledge on Thai. If the ajahns level test me and find me suitable for another level, do I have to wait a month or two for the next class to start? Thanks.

Edited by yeows

Hi Lithobid, is there a set of minimum criteria to meet (e.g. degree) before I can take this course? Btw, I have some basic knowledge on Thai. If the ajahns level test me and find me suitable for another level, do I have to wait a month or two for the next class to start? Thanks.

Lol are you kidding! TIT They'll test you and take your money whenever you're ready...lol

Cheers

Lithobid

Thanks fo the reply, Lithobid. I was worried as their website shows they do not have two adjacent courses starting at the same time and the requirement that the minimum number of students be met before they start.

Thanks fo the reply, Lithobid. I was worried as their website shows they do not have two adjacent courses starting at the same time and the requirement that the minimum number of students be met before they start.

That's their usual protocol, but now I think they're desperate for students, so should be no problem to jump right in, though you may have to wait until the end of the month to start at the "begining" of a level.

Cheers

Lithobid

Edited by Lithobid