Help

murni

Do any of you knowledgeable people know where I can buy proper oxygenators for ponds. I have tried the plant market & all the fish shops there, but no joy. My ponds are beginning to look like pea soup & the fish are not very happy!!

Thank you

What do you mean by "proper oxygenators"? Anything that disturbs the water will help oxygenate it, whether it be a revolving paddle or a fountain. Build a little waterfall with a circulation pump, this tends to work very well.

The "pea soup" problem sounds like an excess of nitrogen and will almost certainly have to be controlled by an anyi algae treatment, available from all good pond suppliers. Otherwise, empty the pond water, Scrub down well, using bleach and rinse extremely well before replacing with clean, non-clorinated water. Test with a chemical kit before you re-introduce your fish.

Do any of you knowledgeable people know where I can buy proper oxygenators for ponds. I have tried the plant market & all the fish shops there, but no joy. My ponds are beginning to look like pea soup & the fish are not very happy!!

Thank you

Any fish tank oxygen generator will work, and there are many different sizes and styles...I can't imagine why you say they won't work for you. If you don't change your water often, you might need a fish tank filter setup and, again, many sizes/styles to fit your needs.

As P1p says, a waterfall is an excellent way to add oxygen to your water, and if the waterfall is designed well, it can also help to clean your water- to a point.

If you have a lot of direct sunlight, this will heat the water and expel oxygen, posibly faster than you can replace it via a waterfall. Adding live plants increases your chance of algae, but it also helps to add oxygen. I have a 1000 liter fish pond with a 10 foot waterfall that cascades over rocks down into the pond. I also have quite a few water plants. I never have algae problems, but dirt does collect in the pond after awhile. I have pretty good water circulation through an outflow valve that either diverts more flow into the waterfall, or back into the pond. I'm guessing that this outflow back into the pond is a key help to the algae issue. I also have a swimming pool, and it gets algae sometimes, even with cholrine added and an excellent filtration system....But, the algae always starts in the corners, where there is much less waterflow moving around... The pond gets good waterflow, and there are no corners...and no algae, as I mentioned, so I think getting some more water movement in your pond will help...