What Is The Name Of That Annoying Bird?

Every morning from around 7am until 9, a tedious bird repeats one short sound. I can hear it right now actually.

It doesn't have a bird sound that I can reproduce with our alphabet (or maybe I'm just not clever enough to figure it out). It's more machine like. And at times it sounds like someone left their car alarm on. For two hours and up.

The same short utterances over and over and over and over.

Grrrrrrrrrr...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't think of a bird that sounds like a car alarm!

But if its whoop whoop :D

it's a coucal

Coucal

Coucals are repetitive like some car alarms I have heard, but have a lower pitch.

I'm getting pretty expert on this I have some nesting just outside my window.

6am whoop whoop whoop ...... :o

it's a coucal

Coucal

Coucals are repetitive like some car alarms I have heard, but have a lower pitch.

'whoop whoop whoop'... poor you!

I believe I know the Coucal (or one of the Cuckoos) from Borneo. Is it large, rust and dark brown, and glides soundlessly?

I got out my digital and took a mov this morning.

Listening to it over and over, it's more like...

Geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip ...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Don't know the name of your bird, but the sound you described matches the description of one that consistently comes to my bedroom window (ignoring all the other rooms of the house) at precisely 6 a.m. each morning. It not only makes the car alarm sound, but it pecks incessantly at its reflection in the window. So, I have a car alarm AND a jack hammer.

If all other problems in Thailand were so small.... :o

Don't know the name of your bird, but the sound you described matches the description of one that consistently comes to my bedroom window (ignoring all the other rooms of the house) at precisely 6 a.m. each morning. It not only makes the car alarm sound, but it pecks incessantly at its reflection in the window. So, I have a car alarm AND a jack hammer.

Ouch. Well, this one roams around a great deal but maybe it's sharing the love?

If all other problems in Thailand were so small.... :o

Problems? What problems? :D

If its the same one that annoys me...... I was siting by the pool trying to have a bit of a relax, but the dam_n thing wouldn't shut up, so as you do, you start to count its chirps. On average it peeped loudly 6-7 times then finished of its lung full of air with an set of decreasingly lower pitched warbles.... If thats the one I want to know what it is too..

PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP stacato warble to close...

annoying little thing it was and LOUD!!

Mine didn't warble. And from the long recordings I have (three), it didn't even come up for air!

But I know the one you mean (I believe). Is it a black, medium sized bird? Either white or yellow around its neck?

I call em "noisy birds". They are welcome in my yard anytime. Love them.

Maybe you can find him here. I think he is a wagtail. Because they do have a long tail they use for balance.

http://www.pbase.com/peterericsson/birds_of_thailand

Dot Com.... Nice website. I am still trying to ID a crake-like bird that I see every morning with three young ones. (It has white around its neck, but black otherwise.) Unreal how many birds there are in Thailand. Thanks for passing along the website and good luck catching up with PB!

it's a coucal

Coucal

'whoop whoop whoop'... poor you!

I believe I know the Coucal (or one of the Cuckoos) from Borneo. Is it large, rust and dark brown, and glides soundlessly?

I got out my digital and took a mov this morning.

Listening to it over and over, it's more like...

Geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip ...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It's almost certainly a Common Tailorbird Orthotomus sutoris .

A small bird 4 1/2 inches or so in length, common in gardens and similar habitats in Thailand.

From "A Field Guide to the Birds of South East Asia":

Voice: loud call notes chw-ee, chw-ee, chw-ee at the rate of 25 times in 10 seconds; at times it sounds like chip, chip, chip (Smythies) ; "shrill, monotonous and rather annoying" (Deignan).

Unfortunately I can't find a Link to a recording at the moment - but you probably would not want to listen to it anyway :D .

Patrick

Koels are another rather noisy bird and they tend to make their calls very early in the morning. I've had a family of them in my yard for many years. There's no sleeping late in my house. Take a look here. Males are black and females and the young are scaly like this image. They're in the cuckoo family.

Wagtails aren't really noisy. Racket-tailed Drongos can be fairly noisy.

Edited by Galong

A small bird 4 1/2 inches or so in length, common in gardens and similar habitats in Thailand.

Voice: loud call notes chw-ee, chw-ee, chw-ee at the rate of 25 times in 10 seconds; at times it sounds like chip, chip, chip (Smythies) ; "shrill, monotonous and rather annoying" (Deignan).

Unfortunately I can't find a Link to a recording at the moment - but you probably would not want to listen to it anyway :o .

Patrick

"loud call... chip, chip, chip... rate of 25 times in 10 seconds... shrill, monotonous and rather annoying"

That's it! And for such a tiny little thing, he's REALLY loud.

I enjoy most birds. Even the ones in Australia that cover every waking space of your day. But this one? It's got me beat. And he lives here. With me. Every morning. For about two hours. Sigh.

I've never seen this bird. I can only hear him every morning.

And this morning, to record the sound, I took movs with an old digital of mine.

You can hear it here (apologies for the lousy pics).

While you are listening, imagine hearing that for two hours. Over and over. Every morning. Without a breath (how does it do that?)

Arrrrrgghhhh. If he lived near me I'd be getting the scatter gun out :o

Youtube of Common Tailorbird

doesn't sound like what you have (unless yours is on Speed), much slower repetition, no less annoying though. Edited by Crossy

Dot Com.... Nice website. I am still trying to ID a crake-like bird that I see every morning with three young ones. (It has white around its neck, but black otherwise.) Unreal how many birds there are in Thailand. Thanks for passing along the website and good luck catching up with PB!

Yeah a 10 second google search turned that up.

Noisy birds are sure not of the cuckoo family.

Patrick

You nailed it my friend. That is the little beauty I see in my trees everyday. They jerk about & use that LONGGGGGG tail for balance.

They are just a delight. Anyone who would kill one of these gorgeous creatures is worse than a hit & run driver who kills a 5 YO kid on a trike.

Thank you Patrick

Anyone who would kill one of these gorgeous creatures is worse than a hit & run driver who kills a 5 YO kid on a trike.

You didn't honestly believe I was going to wave a gun around Bangkok did you? In the direction of my Thai neighbours? (or anybody/thing for that matter)

Although ... 'Thai police run down scatter gun wielding Tailorbird murderer' ... does have a certain something to it.

< wink >

Anyone who would kill one of these gorgeous creatures is worse than a hit & run driver who kills a 5 YO kid on a trike.

You didn't honestly believe I was going to wave a gun around Bangkok did you? In the direction of my Thai neighbours? (or anybody/thing for that matter)

Although ... 'Thai police run down scatter gun wielding Tailorbird murderer' ... does have a certain something to it.

< wink >

Great post! :o

I am still trying to ID a crake-like bird that I see every morning with three young ones. (It has white around its neck, but black otherwise.)

based on that info, probably White-breasted Waterhen

It's almost certainly a Common Tailorbird Orthotomus sutoris

Thai name is 'Nok Krajib Thamada'