What Is The Name Of That Annoying Bird?

If its the same one that annoys me...... I was siting by the pool trying to have a bit of a relax, but the dam_n thing wouldn't shut up, so as you do, you start to count its chirps. On average it peeped loudly 6-7 times then finished of its lung full of air with an set of decreasingly lower pitched warbles.... If thats the one I want to know what it is too..

PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP stacato warble to close...

annoying little thing it was and LOUD!!

This one is the Plaintive Cuckoo Cacomantis merulinus

Patrick

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I had a Thai class today and showed my teacher the mov I took. She laughed and said that she didn't know what the English name was, but was sure of the Thai.

นก กระจิบ

nók grà-jìp

I looked it up on thai2english.com and the English translation is [ N ] Long-tailed Tailorbird ; Orthotomus sutorius

But the reason why she was laughing is the Thais have an expression for people who talk too much.

เขา พูด ปาน นก กระจิบ

kăo pôot bpaan nók grà-jìp

You speak like bird grajip

So if someone you know starts talking too much, call them a nók grà-jìp :-D

It's almost certainly a Common Tailorbird Orthotomus sutoris .

A small bird 4 1/2 inches or so in length, common in gardens and similar habitats in Thailand.

From "A Field Guide to the Birds of South East Asia":

Voice: loud call notes chw-ee, chw-ee, chw-ee at the rate of 25 times in 10 seconds; at times it sounds like chip, chip, chip (Smythies) ; "shrill, monotonous and rather annoying" (Deignan).

Unfortunately I can't find a Link to a recording at the moment - but you probably would not want to listen to it anyway :o .

Patrick

Again, thanks for your help Patrick!

Although listening to this bird has been annoying, it's been fun.

I do believe I'm going to get out my binoculars (if they still work / even exist), buy a book at SE Asian birds, then camp out on my balcony in the mornings.

Any suggestions for a decent book on birds?

Ok, I had a Thai class today and showed my teacher the mov I took. She laughed and said that she didn't know what the English name was, but was sure of the Thai.

นก กระจิบ

nók grà-jìp

whats up.. you didn't believe me when i told you..? :o

I looked it up on thai2english.com and the English translation is Long-tailed Tailorbird

This is just an alternative name, it appears in the older field guides

anything by my old friend Boonsong Lekagul, Phil Round or Craig Robson..

I do believe I'm going to get out my binoculars (if they still work / even exist), buy a book at SE Asian birds, then camp out on my balcony in the mornings.

good luck.. you'll need it

whats up.. you didn't believe me when i told you..? :o

Ah, see, this is where I'm awful at transliteration in Thai. I glanced through the post and didn't catch that your 'Nok Krajib Thamada' was the same as 'nók grà-jìp'

anything by my old friend Boonsong Lekagul, Phil Round or Craig Robson..

Thanks. I'll check them out on amazon.

good luck.. you'll need it

My condo overlooks an old Thai family compound It's full of trees and bushes and everything that birds like. It supports quite a lot of birds actually. And there's also three power lines that run parallel with my condo, living room level. When I first moved here they annoyed me, but that quickly went when I got to watch all sorts of birds sitting there and looking back at me. It's a start anyway.

Now off to be chirped to by my resident นก กระจิบ ...

Love this topic, maybe someone can help me out with those bird sounds I am living with since 15 years in Thailand and never saw. In Europe we've learned that most birds sleep at night and start singing in the morning. Fair to say singing because the first bird that I like to identify does the following. First note, have step down, half step up again, so three notes per sequence. Next, the same sequenz of 3 notes but half step up, then up again and again aso. I sounds like a singing lesson where your teacher gives you the idea of chromatic scales and patterns.

The other bird doesn't know that he is supposed to sleep at night and also likes chromatic patterns. But it likes to start on a high note, followed by a short rest and then basically loughs itself down using the chromatic (halftone) scale. It can practise for hours a night and maybe it is really loughing about me, the stupid, sleepness listener. Since I am a musician, actually singer, I have to listen and be reminded of my own singing lessons.

Help me out I like to get a picture of those little amazing birds.

The other bird doesn't know that he is supposed to sleep at night and also likes chromatic patterns. But it likes to start on a high note, followed by a short rest and then basically loughs itself down using the chromatic (halftone) scale. It can practise for hours a night and maybe it is really loughing about me, the stupid, sleepness listener. Since I am a musician, actually singer, I have to listen and be reminded of my own singing lessons.

this one is almost certainly 'Asian Barred Owlet'

could you, as a singer, give a better phonetic transliteration of the first bird ? also, is it stictly night time only ?

What about the frogs? I believe there are some small frogs that give short high pitched "chirps" every 15 seconds or so. I'm sure I had one sitting on my window sill a few years ago and I thought my car alarm was playing up.

What about the frogs? I believe there are some small frogs that give short high pitched "chirps" every 15 seconds or so. I'm sure I had one sitting on my window sill a few years ago and I thought my car alarm was playing up.

probably just a jing jok, mai ben rai.. its birds were talking about here... wake up kid.. :o

Edited by Goshawk

this one is almost certainly 'Asian Barred Owlet'

could you, as a singer, give a better phonetic transliteration of the first bird ? also, is it stictly night time only ?

Thanks, will check out the Asian Barred Owlet in the net. The other one is day active. If I put it in notes it would be C, B, C, then C#, C, C#, ...D, C#, D...aso. Guess you'll get the idea just play it on a piano, guitar or whatever instrument. Never heard a bird with such a long pattern. Love to get a picture of it and some more info.

If I put it in notes it would be C, B, C, then C#, C, C#, ...D, C#, D...aso.

3 notes progesively getting higher and louder over a prolonged period ??

if so, its a male Common Koel - a member of the cuckoo family

clip here

clip here

My fav bird song ever, it makes my day when I hear it.

There's another one just as loud (I just heard it). It goes... chirt, chirt, chírt, chírt chírt.

(last three rising in tone)

probably just a jing jok, mai ben rai.. its birds were talking about here... wake up kid.. :o

Cheeky bugger! :D I know what jin-joks sound like :D. This was a frog - I saw it when I went outside to investigate my car alarm. And thanks for calling me "kid" - made my day. :D

:D

This was a frog - I saw it when I went outside to investigate my car alarm. And thanks for calling me "kid" - made my day. :D

sorry old man :D but more than a likely a toad.. :o

Sorry, kiddo :D, but maybe my one was related to this one:

a1070_1744.jpg

A concave-eared torrent frog.

Concave-eared torrent frogs are small and brown. They make a variety of noises, including some that people can hear. Their calls sound like bird whistles and chirps.

:D

a1070_1744.jpg

Concave-eared torrent frogs are small and brown. They make a variety of noises, including some that people can hear. Their calls sound like bird whistles and chirps.

allow me to quote a little bit more from www.sciencenewsforkids.org :D

Concave-eared torrent frogs are found on a mountainside next to a rock-filled stream at China's Huangshan Hot Springs

i think we can safely rule this one out.. :D

next... :o

clip here

There's another one just as loud (I just heard it). It goes... chirt, chirt, chírt, chírt chírt.

Thanks for identifying and yes it is my favorite bird song too, ever. Played the pattern to a Thai musician and he said that bird is of high value in captivity. There are competitions between bird owners which one sings best and the value of such a bird is at least around 100.000 Baht. Kind of blessed to have them singing for me, not in captivity or for money.

Thanks for identifying and yes it is my favorite bird song too, ever. Played the pattern to a Thai musician and he said that bird is of high value in captivity. There are competitions between bird owners which one sings best and the value of such a bird is at least around 100.000 Baht. Kind of blessed to have them singing for me, not in captivity or for money.

glad to be of service & i agree, they are a smart bird.

they're also incredibly common all over Thailand but notoriously difficult to actually see - prefer to heard..

i can believe the story of certain captive bred 'singers' attaining high values among the genuine Thai 'bird keeping' elite.. but just in case any chump reading this thinks.. 'ooh, i'll just go out catch a few wild birds and flog 'em for mega baht..' Don't bother - your efforts would be totally worthless.

clip here

that is the one I call the annoying whoo whoo bird. They seem to enjoy sitting outside my window and calling first thing in the morning :o

a1070_1744.jpg

allow me to quote a little bit more from www.sciencenewsforkids.org :D

Concave-eared torrent frogs are found on a mountainside next to a rock-filled stream at China's Huangshan Hot Springs

i think we can safely rule this one out.. :D

next... :o

We certainly can - which is why I said "...maybe my one was related to this one" which, strangely, you deleted from my post when you quoted it. :D

Next!

i think we can safely rule this one out.. :o

We certainly can - which is why I said "...maybe my one was related to this one" which, strangely, you deleted from my post when you quoted it.

the only frogs related to that species that actually occur in Thailand are..

Amolops larutensis - Larut Torrent Frog (restricted to Southern Thailand)

Huia aureola - Phu Luang Cliff frog (newly discovered in Loei Province, only a few recorded)

Huia melasma - threatened species with no common name

Odorrana nasica - Long-snout Torrent Frog

all these are Torrent or Cascade Frogs and, as the name suggests, they inhabit moist tropical lowland or montane forests with fast flowing streams or rivers with 'torrents'.. That is why they call at such high frequencies so to be heard over the raging din..

Now, unless you live in prime forest or up a mountain beside a waterfall i seriously doubt that 'your frog' is related to a concave-eared torrent frog :D

next... :D

...Amolops larutensis - Larut Torrent Frog (restricted to Southern Thailand)

all these are Torrent or Cascade Frogs and, as the name suggests, they inhabit moist tropical lowland or montane forests with fast flowing streams or rivers with 'torrents'.. That is why they call at such high frequencies so to be heard over the raging din..

That's the one! :o I was in Phuket at the time, in the rainy season, near a mountain. :D

Thank you so much for your research! :D

Next! :D

that is the one I call the annoying whoo whoo bird. They seem to enjoy sitting outside my window and calling first thing in the morning :o

I love the sound of the birds (well, except for the motor-mouth) but if any of the loud ones started off right close to me way too often, I just might change my tune. That piercing range would go right through my ribcage and stomach if too close.

I used to own two Myna birds (purchased in Sarawak as babies). I loved the sound but they can get really loud too. My neighbours has me move the cage to the other side of the house as they were scaring their son.

I learned how to call like a Myna. That way, when one escaped I could call it back. I was even able to call several Mynas to me from the 7th floor of my condo in Bangkok. It was exciting really. Me calling. Them coming. Me calling over to them as they sat on a condo roof opposite, calling back to me.

Btw - after a short while, I set my Borneo Mynas free... it was a great experience, but they were no longer babies and could take care of themselves, so time for them to go.