What Is The Name Of That Annoying Bird?

That's the one! :o I was in Phuket at the time, in the rainy season, near a mountain.

ahh.. takes the easy way out of the thread.. :D

I gotta do something! I didn't reckon on the truth not working though. :D

:D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the one! :D I was in Phuket at the time, in the rainy season, near a mountain.

ahh.. takes the easy way out of the thread.. :D

I gotta do something! I didn't reckon on the truth not working though. :(

Amolops larutensis has never been recorded on Phuket.. :D(maybe you should submit your unique 'sighting' to the Nat' Geo' - u could be famous)

you will find it primarily in Peninsular Malaysia, over into Thailand around Hala Bala, Yala & Songkla regions then up the peninsular only, just about reaching Petburi province..

also, it exclusively occurs on boulders and bedrock in and along fast-flowing, clear-water forest streams, from lowlands to highlands. Very doubtfull on peoples window sills immitating car alarms.. :o

are you sure it wasn't this one you encountered :D

Edited by Goshawk

Amolops larutensis has never been recorded on Phuket.. :D(maybe you should submit your unique 'sighting' to the Nat' Geo' - u could be famous)

you will find it primarily in Peninsular Malaysia, over into Thailand around Hala Bala, Yala & Songkla regions then up the peninsular only, just about reaching Petburi province..

also, it exclusively occurs on boulders and bedrock in and along fast-flowing, clear-water forest streams, from lowlands to highlands. Very doubtfull on peoples window sills immitating car alarms.. :o

are you sure it wasn't this one you encountered :D

By an incredible coincidence, while I was locking the front gate last night - at about 3:30 am - I heard three of them beeping to each other. We had a lot of rain yesterday, so maybe they decided to come out of hiding. Or maybe they are avid TV readers and decided to help me out. :D

I wasn't going to do anything as I couldn't see them and only one was clearly audible, but I decided to make a video of them anyway using my camera and will post it on YouTube so you can listen to them. You can't see anything but hopefully you will hear them.

Stay tuned!

Yeah, how did people sleep in the jungle anyway?

For nine months I lived in a new housing community cut out of the jungle. Mine was right next to the jungle. The cicadas were exactly like a chain saw going off. Great fun for a short while, but it was good thing I could close the windows and doors at night to seal them out.

Oooh.. goody, i can't wait for this.. :D

Here you go, Gossy! I heard them again last night and tracked one down to a storm drain. I wonder if a concrete storm drain containing gently flowing water qualifies...:

... it exclusively occurs on boulders and bedrock in and along fast-flowing, clear-water forest streams...

So I took some pictures although I couldn't see what was there, but afterwards I examined the photos and spotted him.

Have a look (and listen :o):

Yeah, how did people sleep in the jungle anyway?

For nine months I lived in a new housing community cut out of the jungle. Mine was right next to the jungle. The cicadas were exactly like a chain saw going off. Great fun for a short while, but it was good thing I could close the windows and doors at night to seal them out.

Yeah, I get them too. I don't mind the noise so much, but I wish they'd stick to leaving their old skins on the tree trunks:

post-35489-1216656570_thumb.jpg post-35489-1216656618_thumb.jpg

Oooh.. goody, i can't wait for this.. :D

Here you go, Gossy! I heard them again last night and tracked one down to a storm drain. I wonder if a concrete storm drain containing gently flowing water qualifies...:

Amolops larutensis - Larut Torrent Frog... it exclusively occurs on boulders and bedrock in and along fast-flowing, clear-water forest streams...

So I took some pictures although I couldn't see what was there, but afterwards I examined the photos and spotted him.

Have a look (and listen :D):

hey.. good work Jetty..!! top recording.. :o

but that aint a torrent frog :D or any other frog.. :D

it's a toad.. :( an 'Asiatic Toad' to be exact.. they're really common all over Thailand & South East Asia

Thai's call 'em kaang kok

nice vid though dude.. :D

Edited by Goshawk

hey.. good work Jetty..!! top recording.. :o

but that aint a torrent frog :D or any other frog.. :(

it's a toad.. :D an 'Asiatic Toad' to be exact.. they're really common all over Thailand & South East Asia

Thai's call 'em kaang kok

nice vid though dude.. :D

Hmm, the story continues.... :P

I just asked she who must be obeyed about this high pitched frog/toad and she reckons it's a "èung àang" - อึ่งอ่าง , which is the bullfrog, Rana catesbeiana. I said I thought they were much bigger with a deeper tone and she said it was a young female ( :D ). Logical, I suppose. :D

The "kaang-kók" - คางคก - as you say is the toad, and I do get a lot of them too.

Edited by JetsetBkk

I just asked she who must be obeyed about this high pitched frog/toad and she reckons it's a "èung àang" - อึ่งอ่าง , which is the bullfrog, Rana catesbeiana. I said I thought they were much bigger with a deeper tone and she said it was a young female ( :o ). Logical, I suppose. :D

The "kaang-kók" - คางคก - as you say is the toad, and I do get a lot of them too.

the ung ang is so called after its own "ung... ang...." call, and almost always 'sing' in 'groups' of many individuals..

they sound like this and

tracked one down to a storm drain. I wonder if a concrete storm drain containing gently flowing water qualifies...:

interesting thats where you found it (it's where i usually find Asiatic Toads 'squeaking' at night too..) take a look at this page..

Thanks for the links, Goshawk, especially the first two. There's a lot of water - a mini swamp - at the end of my soi and the first link you posted - the noisy one - is exactly what it sounds like after a good rain. And they're all deep calls, not like the squeaky one I recorded.

I can see I'm going to have to get the fishing net out and capture one of the little b*ggers and get a decent photo of him. :o

• 2 months later...

It sounds like a blacksmith plover - we have one in the field next to our aprtment. Stands there at night and geips repeatedly....thank goodness though our bedroom aircon drowns out the sound ....

Can't think of a bird that sounds like a car alarm!

But if its whoop whoop :D

it's a coucal

Coucal

Coucals are repetitive like some car alarms I have heard, but have a lower pitch.

I'm getting pretty expert on this I have some nesting just outside my window.

6am whoop whoop whoop ...... :o

'whoop whoop whoop'... poor you!

I believe I know the Coucal (or one of the Cuckoos) from Borneo. Is it large, rust and dark brown, and glides soundlessly?

I got out my digital and took a mov this morning.

Listening to it over and over, it's more like...

Geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip ...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It sounds like a blacksmith plover - we have one in the field next to our aprtment

highly doubtful.. this bird has never been recorded in Thailand.

if at night (as you say) you are hearing...

Listening to it over and over, it's more like...

Geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip geip ...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

although not so many "geips", you are almost certainly hearing an Asian Barred Owlet.. :o

Edited by Goshawk

• 3 years later...

This bird has been driving me crazy for months. It is so LOUD and continuous.

Does anyone know if they live in the same tree their whole life or do they migrate or something? If not I'll probably have to be the one to migrate, or buy a sniper rifle.

i have seen these bids for the first time this week,2 of them about 20yds.in front of me just as it was going dark,they looked quite big but made a hell of a racket could be mating time.in the morning our dog howls like a wolf when he hears them,iam sure one of them had a big red beak.

i have seen these bids for the first time this week,2 of them about 20yds.in front of me just as it was going dark,they looked quite big but made a hell of a racket could be mating time.in the morning our dog howls like a wolf when he hears them,iam sure one of them had a big red beak.

having looked up "coucal" i see these every day in our garden,so what i saw the other evening was not the black bird with brown wings,the noise from what i saw was simuler to a turkey and continuous loud screaching,i am sure it was no thai bird on 2legs.:unsure:

• 10 years later...

Hi! I know this was written awhile ago, but it's been bothering me and I just found the answer!! It's called a coppersmith barbet because its call sounds like constant hammering. Here's a nice video about it: