Phuket Tourist Numbers Drop: Downturn Feared

alanmorison

WITH the year half over, newly released TAT figures for the 2008 high season reflect a drop in numbers that indicates leaner times ahead. Resorts and the Phuket economy are likely to suffer as the price of oil pushes up the cost of flying.

-- Reaction and details at www.phuketwan.com

(Sounds from when the journalists arrive in the movie The Right Stuff)

For the life of me, I can not find that sound clip. I am trying very hard to find it, but I may have to buy the dvd and rip it myself.

Rather than highlighting the impact of the current tourism situation, why not reflect on the impact that tourism has on the environment, the eco-system, and the culture. I have an idea why it is not covered, but that is another story. Rather than making up what may happen, why not tell us what IS happening. Speculation, Assumption, Alleging, Indicating... These are powerful words, but are only meant to steer or discourage, not to state actual fact. Every post that I have read from the OP seems like an injection of thought. Just like the Weatherman, unable to predict the weather, somehow the OP can predict the direction tourism is heading based on the OP own personal opinion. "indicates leaner times ahead". The price of oil is falling, and will continue to fall and you say "Resorts and the Phuket economy are likely to suffer as the price of oil pushes up the cost of flying".

Journalism is for fear injection. The words can be sourced or arranged to inject fear into it's readers. Informing your fellow man is done by stating FACTS not indications, speculations, or assumptions. Indicating assumptions is called LEADING. The OP insists on LEADING people into a direction they were not headed in the first place. Although it makes it exciting, it is verbal poison.

As for the rudeness and ugly behavior of Thai's working in Patong, that is because they are not FROM Phuket. They immigrated here from other provinces, and I have found that the Thai's that are actually from Phuket are not the ones you face on the streets of Patong.

Now, just like the idiots in Washington, bailing out the Auto Makers. The only way to solve the problem is to allow them to collapse, and go bankrupt, thus relieving them of the Union Contracts, which is why they are so screwed in the first place. That is what Capitalism is. What needs to happen in Phuket, is a severe fall in tourism, thus allowing the ugly and rude Non-Phuket Thai's to fail and leave, and look for work elsewhere, thus allowing the stranglehold of the mafia, and underworld business dealings to fade away.

I hope that the tourism industry falls so much as to run out some of the farang business owners. They are far worse than the rudest of Thai's. There are so many business owners desperately depending on tourism, that even they can get rude or speak ugly to you. A friend tried to buy some "food products" from one business owner, and because the Nursery his daughter was at had to close, this business owner had a fit and told him to "never try to contact him again" (he still has the email) I hope it happens very soon, because the eco-system, and the beaches are suffering.

This of course is only my opinion, and it is merely that, an opinion.

todd

Tourism is not the biggest industry in Thailand. Visitors may like to think it is, though. What's happening is that the world is slipping into recession, country by country. People may be tempted to abandon their discretionary spending on holidays and travel, so the tourism industry in Thailand will suffer, along with tourism industries everywhere else. Some destinations will do better than others, even within Thailand. But in 2009, millions of people will be thrown out of work around the world, so less money for holidays . . . all this has absolutely nothing to do with the hospitality of Thais, which is culturally ingrained and not likely to change. As a holiday destination, Thailand will continue to compare well with other destinations, in good times or bad. All this nonsense about Thais not smiling as much is . . . well, nonsense.

Change Thailand for Phuket and the story becomes radically different.. Tourism IS Phukets biggest industry effecting almost every part of the Islands economy..

As for the smiling, I disagree, Phuket is changing, and the concept of fair service or fair value for fair pay is increasingly being pushed out in favor of grab as much as you can, as fast as you can, and dam_n the repeat business or customer satisfaction.

WITH the year half over, newly released TAT figures for the 2008 high season reflect a drop in numbers that indicates leaner times ahead. Resorts and the Phuket economy are likely to suffer as the price of oil pushes up the cost of flying.

-- Reaction and details at www.phuketwan.com

Rather than highlighting the impact of the current tourism situation, why not reflect on the impact that tourism has on the environment, the eco-system, and the culture. I have an idea why it is not covered, but that is another story. Rather than making up what may happen, why not tell us what IS happening. Speculation, Assumption, Alleging, Indicating...

FT, I think you must have been on that Hunter Thompson thread before you wrote this as your post would be what I call "free flow gonzo thought journalism".

You talk of tourism damaging the environment and in the same paragraph discuss the fact that it's "weatherman speculation". How are these connected?

Then onto Thais not from Phuket and how does that relate to the incoming tourist numbers?

"thus allowing the stranglehold of the mafia, and underworld business dealings to fade away." This one made me laugh out loud. I know for a fact that the western view of "mafia" and "underworld business dealings" is looked upon differently in the Thai culture. Thai way of business is to bribe, pay the big boss, be organized (mafia), it's just the way it is. You know what I do, now every time I go to immigration I have to present a product as a gift or I am sent away. You want something done, be ready to hand over the white envelope.......You think that is going to go away? Never bra. 2005 Tsunami year did it go away? Uh-uh.

Lastly , sorry that your one experience with the one farang business owner has given you generalization of all business owners here. There are definitely some emotional people, and these tough times for us who depend on the tourist industry has made our lives really stressful. To the point of overreaction. Mountains out of molehills if you will.

Cheers, not bagging, just discussing. HB

Thailand has simply become too expensive for the "quality" tourists they pretend they want. If you want to stay in four/five star hotels, have a car take you around (not a farm truck or tuk tuk), enjoy a few glasses of wine with dinner then you're going to have to dig deep into your pockets.

I've had family out throughout November. this has meant forking out for 4 and 5 star hotels whilst parents toured some beaches. Meals out most nights and finally a night in BKK.

Overnight for two rooms in a hotel with 10% occcupancy - 25,000b (no meals)

- i contacted 4 season, MO, Pen, Sukhothai, best rate anywhere for two decent rooms

Typical dinner for four with couple bottles average plonk - 9-12,000b

Overnight in 4 star island resort typically 6,000 b a night

(where practically noone speaks "inglit" - how quaint - to see the "real" Thailand)

I'm not prepared to put my parents, both in their 70s, in a taxi with no rear seat belts and a driver who thinks he's Niki Lauder.

A hotel car to drive from river in BKK to Soi Convent was 900b ++ each way.

I note that TG has increased its on-line fare from 3500 quid to 6500 quid for bookings in May 2009 LHR to BKK. Thai logic? No demand so double the price. My parents travelled home to London with only ONE other person in the first class cabin.

Sure - if you want to eat som-tam on the street, travel in a farm truck, sleep with a ladboy - it's really cheap compared to Europe or US (although not Brazil or many other countries in SE Asia). But I did that when I was 18 and had a backpack.

Although I still wonder what beacame of the ladyboy. She pawned her necklace to buy me breakfast in the morning.... :o . I strongly recommend LOS if you're young and wanna see what a third world country looks like. But sophisticated tourist destination? Better value elsewhere and closer to home (but no ladyboys in BVI sadly)

Change Thailand for Phuket and the story becomes radically different.. Tourism IS Phukets biggest industry effecting almost every part of the Islands economy..

As for the smiling, I disagree, Phuket is changing, and the concept of fair service or fair value for fair pay is increasingly being pushed out in favor of grab as much as you can, as fast as you can, and dam_n the repeat business or customer satisfaction.

I could not agree with you more Livin LOS.

Last week I was down visiting the inlaws. The first trip back to Phuket since 04.

Anyway I noticed a marked change in general as well as a selfish attitude of Thais towards us Farlangs.

I was certainly suprised. I feel for any expat living down there as Iam sure the average Thai can

not tell the difference between a tourist and an expat. :o

Sure - if you want to eat som-tam on the street, travel in a farm truck, sleep with a ladyboy - it's really cheap compared to Europe or US. But I did that when I was 18 and had a backpack.

(but no ladyboys in BVI sadly)

Sleeping with ladyboys at 18 huh? That strikes me as a tad bizzarre.........

The rest of your argument is out the window too for if you take the time to look around there are plenty of nice hotels and restaurants between the som-tam cart and your five star hotels. Just like there are plenty of actual women out there, not just a guy dressed up in women's clothing.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=863

item--6-- Phuket Airport shows 22% less flights and 14% less passengers in November.

The Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, which manages Phuket International Airport, have informed Andaman News about their latest statistics from January to November 2008. They showed a total of 34,709 aircraft movements, down 5.11% from the same 11 months in 2007. In November 2008 when the Bangkok airports were blocked at the end of the month, there were only 2,907 flights in & out of Phuket, down 21.64 % compared to November 2007. However the total numbers of arriving, departing and transit passengers in the first 11 months of the year, was still high at 5,246,767 showing an increase of 2.86 % compared to the same months in 2007: These are still the highest ever numbers at Phuket. But in November 2008 alone there were only 438,109 passengers down 13.92% compared to November 2007, as many passengers could not fly to/from Bangkok during the blockades. The total freight for the 11 months showed 16,932 tonnes in and out, only 0.20% decrease. In November alone there was only 1,794 tonnes, down 19.84%. It remains to be seen if the final month of December, the peak of the high season for tourism, will also show large decreases.

Related news also today:

item---7-- 30 new hotels are planned to open in Phuket over next three years.

Bill Barnett, MD of hospitality consulting firm, C9 Hotelworks, informed Andaman News that development of new Phuket hotel properties remains strong, despite ongoing political issues in the country and international financial downturn. 30 new hotels are at various stages of development with over 4,918 rooms due to hit the supply side over the next three years through 2011, according to his market research. Currently on the island there are nearly 40,000 rooms in registered tourism establishments, ranging from guest houses up through to branded hotels with approximately 10,000 of these, or 25% of total supply, being international star rated. Adding in the new inventory there will be an increase by 50% of the existing international standard units, with 47% being upscale and luxury hotels, 41% midscale, 9% budget/economy and 3% extended stay (villas/condos). 2009 is set to see the largest surge in supply with 38% or 1,850 new rooms scheduled to open.

Item –8--- AirAsia embarks on regional campaign in support of Thailand’s tourism.

AirAsia low-fare airline kicked off a massive regional marketing campaign aptly themed "Get Your Baht To Thailand", part of its initiative to support Thailand's travel, trade and tourism by offering 100,000 free seats from its hubs primarily in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia. This proactive campaign is a joint collaboration between AirAsia and Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) aimed to bring back tourists and businessmen by reinstating the core message that it is now safe to travel back to the 'Land of Smiles'. AirAsia Group operates over 400 international weekly flights that directly connect Thailand to the rest of Southeast Asia and China. Within Thailand, AirAsia Group's Bangkok-based affiliate, Thai AirAsia, operates 378 flights weekly. The 100,000 free seats allocation includes all international flights on AirAsia's route network in Thailand from Bangkok hub to Vietnam, Cambodia, Myammar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China and from Phuket to Singapore. Free seats are also available for domestic destinations from Bangkok. The free seats also include routes from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket, Chiang Mai and Krabi. This regional campaign was launched exclusively online at www.airasia.com for the booking period between 17 - 19 December 2008 for travel between 6 January - 31 March 2009.

Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 19 December 2008 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews.com Send comments to [email protected]

I was just curious.... have the things that made Phuket wealthy originally been abandoned for the sake of the Golden Chalice called tourism or do they still exist.

Up until WW II, Phuket was the world's biggest source of tin. LaoPo is quite correct, Phuket (Bhuket) was a very rich province. The second largest income was from rubber. These two products were produced and owned by Thai-Chinese families; five major and two minor.

Tin mining was stopped on the land in the early eighties, but offshore dredging only ended off Bang Tao beach in the early nineties.

As tourism got a foot-hold, the major families carved up the major dealerships amongst themselves, from beer and spirits, through cars and builing materials. They also got into hotels, transport and construction.

When tourism became a huge success, the families got even richer as land prices sky-rocketed. These families still own land from the tin mines and rubber plantations. Many of the disused tin mines have been sold, or, rented and make far more money than extracting tin ever could. The whole of Bang Tao was a tin mine. Look at it now.

Rubber plantation land is slowly disappearing as the price of land makes growing rubber non-sensical.

The families are still thriving and have a big say behind the scenes in what goes on.

I was just curious.... have the things that made Phuket wealthy originally been abandoned for the sake of the Golden Chalice called tourism or do they still exist.

Up until WW II, Phuket was the world's biggest source of tin. LaoPo is quite correct, Phuket (Bhuket) was a very rich province. The second largest income was from rubber. These two products were produced and owned by Thai-Chinese families; five major and two minor.

Tin mining was stopped on the land in the early eighties, but offshore dredging only ended off Bang Tao beach in the early nineties.

As tourism got a foot-hold, the major families carved up the major dealerships amongst themselves, from beer and spirits, through cars and builing materials. They also got into hotels, transport and construction.

When tourism became a huge success, the families got even richer as land prices sky-rocketed. These families still own land from the tin mines and rubber plantations. Many of the disused tin mines have been sold, or, rented and make far more money than extracting tin ever could. The whole of Bang Tao was a tin mine. Look at it now.

Rubber plantation land is slowly disappearing as the price of land makes growing rubber non-sensical.

The families are still thriving and have a big say behind the scenes in what goes on.

:o Thanks for the -additional- information !

LaoPo

Tourism is not the biggest industry in Thailand. Visitors may like to think it is, though. What's happening is that the world is slipping into recession, country by country. People may be tempted to abandon their discretionary spending on holidays and travel, so the tourism industry in Thailand will suffer, along with tourism industries everywhere else. Some destinations will do better than others, even within Thailand. But in 2009, millions of people will be thrown out of work around the world, so less money for holidays . . . all this has absolutely nothing to do with the hospitality of Thais, which is culturally ingrained and not likely to change. As a holiday destination, Thailand will continue to compare well with other destinations, in good times or bad. All this nonsense about Thais not smiling as much is . . . well, nonsense.

where? I don't see it... In more cases than not I see the money grab dumb farang attitude, only in about 30% of the places do I see smiles, and a good attitude...

Edited by MyphuketLife

30 new hotels are at various stages of development with over 4,918 rooms due to hit the supply side over the next three years through 2011, according to his market research.

How does one go about obtaining the list of these properties?

Would Mr. Barnett share the info? If not here can you PM me?

Thanks, HB

Just a personal experience - I recently went down to Singapore and Changi airport looked half empty and understand they are now offering big discounts in landing fees for airlines (sounds desperado)

We landed back at Phuket airport with aircraft packed full of Singaporeans. With all the doom and gloom forecasts, I was expecting Phuket airport to be empty, but no, it was as packed as last year. 2 planefuls of Finns and Swedes had arrived at the same time and Immigration was as packed as I've seen it. Took us an hour to get through Immigration (same as last year). I don't know if this was just a fluke but certainly Finns, Swedes and Singaporeans are still coming in.

There are some fascinating points in this discussion. Phuket has come through the tin mining era and the rubber plantations. Both these have left their marks, but not in the same kind of way as tourism. There are two Phukets, the coast and the rest. Development around the coast is proceeding rapidly, and bringing tourists at a fast pace, with as many negatives as positives. The hinterland is less desirable but smart developers are opening it up to the tourism workforce, and to locals who are prospering and prefer to own a home. The point is that tourism is a far more permanent wave of prosperity than tin mining or rubber plantations. Some serious issues need to be sorted before too much more time passes. As for the attitudes of Thais, most of those I encounter around Phuket City are delightful. But then, I don't go to Patong often. As for phuketwan's reporting of the Andaman and its issues . . . we are journalists, not judges. Anyone who reads our stories is better informed.

30 new hotels are at various stages of development with over 4,918 rooms due to hit the supply side over the next three years through 2011, according to his market research.

Thanks, HB

Anantara Phuket Resort & Spa

Renaissance Resort & Spa Phuket

Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort

West Sands Outrigger Resort Phuket

Dewa Phuket Resort

Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort and Spa

Angsana Phuket Resort & Spa

Shangri-la's Phuket Resort & Spa

The Palm Beach Club

Dalar Resort Bangtao Beach

Courtyard by Marriott Phuket at Kamala Beach Hotel

Andara Resort Residences

Cape Sienna Phuket Hotel and Villas

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa at Kamala Cove

Langham Place Miora Resort & Spa

Wyndham Vacation Resort Pantipa Phuket

Courtyard by Marriott Phuket at Patong Beach

B-Lay Tong Hotel

Ibis Kata Phuket

Centara Grand Phuket Beach Resort

Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort Phuket

Taj Exotica and Spa Resort Phuket

Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket

Radisson Plaza Resort Phuket Panwa

Regent Phuket Cape Panwa

Four Points by Sheraton, Makham Bay

Jumeirah Private Island Resort

The Yamu

Baan Yamu Residences by Twinpalms

Raffles Phang Nga Resort & Residences

Source: C9 Hotelworks Market Research

For more details see http://deliveringcommunications.com/campai...rt_11-12-08.pdf

Thanks, HB

Source: C9 Hotelworks Market Research

For more details see http://deliveringcommunications.com/campai...rt_11-12-08.pdf

:o Most of them due for opening in 2009 and the rest 2010.....

I fear that quite a few of them will be bust before they open, unless heavy foreign/Thai capital is involved. But, even in that case it will be extremely difficult to make them profitable.

WHY?

5,000 hotel rooms x 1,5 persons occupancy (I didn't count 2 people on purpose) x 180 days (50% of 365 days) = 1,350,000 tourists EXTRA in the coming 2 years PER YEAR.

I don't see that happen for Phuket.

I better don't calculate more than 1,5 persons in 1 room (most of them ARE upscale hotels and WILL have couples) or a higher percentage than 180 days.

LaoPo

At least three on that list have already opened: Anantara, Dewa and Courtyard Patong. While the short-term outlook is grim -- an abyss from March until next high season at least, thanks to the airports blockade -- the Phuket brand now has a lot going for it. Calculations based on filling all the rooms may be a little hopeful. It will depend more likely on the number required to break even, or make a small profit, within a specific time frame, or for the deeper pockets, make a good start and make money later. Remember that compared to other destinations worldwide, the Andaman has a lot of attributes. You just have to hope the coral reefs and the beaches don't lost their allure in the process. Who says 'Stop?' And when? That's always going to be the biggest issue.

At least three on that list have already opened: Anantara, Dewa and Courtyard Patong. While the short-term outlook is grim -- an abyss from March until next high season at least, thanks to the airports blockade -- the Phuket brand now has a lot going for it. Calculations based on filling all the rooms may be a little hopeful. It will depend more likely on the number required to break even, or make a small profit, within a specific time frame, or for the deeper pockets, make a good start and make money later. Remember that compared to other destinations worldwide, the Andaman has a lot of attributes. You just have to hope the coral reefs and the beaches don't lost their allure in the process. Who says 'Stop?' And when? That's always going to be the biggest issue.

Have you studied the numbers at "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments" - Phuket ?

Have a look at this link* and go to the Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments to Thailand DATA 2007-2008 for SOUTH; click on the circle, next to SOUTH and on the page you have to open, you will find on the left bottom several THAI remarks (click on them) which will lead you to the various Southern touristic areas, amongst them Phuket.

The pages are DETAILED with numbers as well as the countries of origin of the foreign tourists - as well as Thai tourist numbers !

You will find that in the first 2 quarters of 2008 tourism dropped quite severe versus 2007.

Jan>March -18.74% this is the total percentage; the percentages for Thai and Foreign vary. Thai tourism to Phuket dropped more.

Apr>June -16.29%

The declining numbers from countries like China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan are dramatic (from -25 to -50%) but also from countries like Austria, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, UK (!) -49%, Eastern Europe.

And, these numbers were from the high season Jan>March 2008.

* http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=25

Note: I am not quoting arriving passengers by air; the numbers are "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments" - Phuket "

LaoPo

There are some fascinating points in this discussion. Phuket has come through the tin mining era and the rubber plantations. Both these have left their marks, but not in the same kind of way as tourism. There are two Phukets, the coast and the rest. Development around the coast is proceeding rapidly, and bringing tourists at a fast pace, with as many negatives as positives. The hinterland is less desirable but smart developers are opening it up to the tourism workforce, and to locals who are prospering and prefer to own a home. The point is that tourism is a far more permanent wave of prosperity than tin mining or rubber plantations. Some serious issues need to be sorted before too much more time passes. As for the attitudes of Thais, most of those I encounter around Phuket City are delightful. But then, I don't go to Patong often. As for phuketwan's reporting of the Andaman and its issues . . . we are journalists, not judges. Anyone who reads our stories is better informed.

Good posting IMHO - I agree with all that.

I think in these uncertain times though, those in the tourism business need to follow the money carefully. Singaporeans are certainly still travelling and spending and Phuket is just a short hop on the plane. In the Euro-zone, it's probably going to be more difficult to attract tourists. Won't even mention the Brits with Sterling down the tube (I am British BTW). I have a friend working in retail at a Northern European airport and she says that Asians are still spending and keeping everything going as generally Asian currencies are at the moment relatively stronger (comparatively speaking)

I think in these uncertain times though, those in the tourism business need to follow the money carefully. Singaporeans are certainly still travelling and spending and Phuket is just a short hop on the plane. In the Euro-zone, it's probably going to be more difficult to attract tourists. Won't even mention the Brits with Sterling down the tube (I am British BTW). I have a friend working in retail at a Northern European airport and she says that Asians are still spending and keeping everything going as generally Asian currencies are at the moment relatively stronger (comparatively speaking)

So much around that's a misconception if one studies the facts.

Jan>March the Singaporeans staid flat in numbers versus 2007, around 8.850

Apr>June showed a drop of almost -30% from 20.900/2007 to 14.650 this year.

Numbers for the 3rd and last quarter are not published yet. The numbers are "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments" - Phuket"

LaoPo

Thanks, HB

Anantara Phuket Resort & Spa

Renaissance Resort & Spa Phuket

Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort

West Sands Outrigger Resort Phuket

Dewa Phuket Resort

Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort and Spa

Thanks a ton !!!

How about the Phuket Convention Center, is that still on the way up at Mai Khao and who will be in charge of that?

Edited by huggybear

So much around that's a misconception if one studies the facts.

Jan>March the Singaporeans staid flat in numbers versus 2007, around 8.850

Apr>June showed a drop of almost -30% from 20.900/2007 to 14.650 this year.

Numbers for the 3rd and last quarter are not published yet. The numbers are "Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments" - Phuket"

LaoPo

Be interesting to see the 4th quarter figures when they're published. All I know is they're in the middle of the big school holidays in Singapore at the moment which seems to have been extended this season to mid January according to a teacher I know. (Has the summer holiday month of June been shortened possibly?)

The airport passenger flight figures published on phuketwan today show a very dramatic decline in numbers, with airport officials tipping that December will be 30 percent down on 2007. This is why your footsteps echo in Patong these days. The decline set in mid-year and accelerated with the first and second airport blockades. These figures, up to December 18, are a far more accurate guide that the accommodation figures, which always run months behind and never accurately reflect the situation. For example, the increasing amount of villa accommodation goes unrecorded. They really need an overhaul. The airport flight stats, on the other hand, record bums on seats coming and going, although without the benefit of nationalities. The decline is likely to continue because tour operators in Europe will have to be persuaded all over again to recommend Phuket. They want their customers happy.

The airport passenger flight figures published on phuketwan today show a very dramatic decline in numbers, with airport officials tipping that December will be 30 percent down on 2007. This is why your footsteps echo in Patong these days. The decline set in mid-year and accelerated with the first and second airport blockades. These figures, up to December 18, are a far more accurate guide that the accommodation figures, which always run months behind and never accurately reflect the situation. For example, the increasing amount of villa accommodation goes unrecorded. They really need an overhaul. The airport flight stats, on the other hand, record bums on seats coming and going, although without the benefit of nationalities. The decline is likely to continue because tour operators in Europe will have to be persuaded all over again to recommend Phuket. They want their customers happy.

It sounds like the day I arrived back at Phuket airport was a bit of a flukey day.

Phuket airport is always going to look busy at this time of year . . . it's the peak season. Even 30 percent down, there is quite a lot of traffic. Once you get out on the island, though, it is evident that fewer people are about. Resorts are telling staff to take holidays - in the high season! March is likely to be catastrophic.

Property 2009: Bill's List Holds Hope

An iconic list of coming hotels indicates a 50 percent increase in supply to Phuket's international star-branded resort market within three years. Is that more hope than one island can handle?

THERE are 30 resorts on Bill's ''Build It and They Will Come'' list, which has recently become Phuket's most significant talisman for better times.

Bill Barnett's list is a reflection of the confidence in the healing powers of Brand Phuket, with its heady mix of great weather, beaches and coral, tuk-tuk rip-offs and exotic nightlife.

With passenger numbers through Phuket airport predicted to plunge by 30 percent in December alone and forward bookings indicating even worse to come, every skerrick of hope is being grasped.

Full report at http://phuketwan.com/property/phuket-property-bills-l