First Test Run Of Thai - Lao Train Successful

george

First test run of Thai-Lao train successful

NONG KHAI: -- The State Railway of Thailand on Friday successfully completed a first test run of train service linking Nong Khai to Vientiane, Laos.

The 3.5-kilometer railway is expected to inaugurate the international service in August. The inauguration service will be presided over by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

Thai and Lao authorities plan test-run services twice per day until July 15. The train fares will range from Bt50 to Bt20 per passenger.

-- The Nation 2008-07-04

NONG KHAI: -- The State Railway of Thailand on Friday successfully completed a first test run of train service linking Nong Khai to Vientiane, Laos.

The 3.5-kilometer railway is expected to inaugurate the international service in August. The inauguration service will be presided over by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

Thai and Lao authorities plan test-run services twice per day until July 15. The train fares will range from Bt50 to Bt20 per passenger.

-- The Nation 2008-07-04

Good news for local expats and in particular those members wishing to facilitate the Thai / Lao immigration run.

Assuming they have / do co-ordinate things to run smoothly at the Nongkhai check points.

marshbags :o

-- The Nation 2008-07-04

3.5 km and test run?

Is it really 3.5 km? That is my 70 year old mother walking every day because she is to lazy to start the car.

Hey George,

Any insight into how visas are going to work?

Assuming the train goes all the way into Vientiane. One would need to have their visa in advance.

Same as one needs to have a visa to take the direct Udon-Vientiane bus. They won't wait for you, while you wait to get your visa.

Hey George,

Any insight into how visas are going to work?

Assuming the train goes all the way into Vientiane. One would need to have their visa in advance.

Same as one needs to have a visa to take the direct Udon-Vientiane bus. They won't wait for you, while you wait to get your visa.

As seems to be increasingly common, a 'Nation' or 'BP' story that gives more questions than answers; has little relevance to farangs; written by a reporter who has no idea of the background & cannot ask follow up questions; lastly slapped into the page by a sub who can't be bothered to push the lazy b....oy into filing a REAL story!

We were told a year ago or more that the railway herewith (partly) reported goes nowhere near Vientiane. It struggles to cross the bridge then peters out in the rice fields less than half distance to the destination it is meant to serve. TIT & TIL.....!

Hope I'm wrong, but this at face value so far looks b.useless to visa trippers.

But they DO quote passenger fares! Wow! We were also told a year ago or more that all services would be goods (cargo) trains ONLY. No passengers.

So maybe both Powers That Be are struggling to puff into the 20th century after all? Yes, I did mean 20th!!

Hope I'm horribly and cynically wrong. If so, correct and update me please!!

I've taken that bus a few times, and if I remember correctly, the bus does wait for everyone to get a visa on arrival before proceeding into Laos and they also wait for eveyone when they come back to Thailand on the bus.

The bus from the airport does. The bus from the city center doesn't ....

^ Given that discussions are apparently going on between Air France and a high speed train operator with a possible view to migrating some traffic from the air to rail under AF's auspices, maybe that should be welcome to the 21st Century after all.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Good news for local expats and in particular those members wishing to facilitate the Thai / Lao immigration run.

Assuming they have / do co-ordinate things to run smoothly at the Nongkhai check points.

marshbags :D

I live 100kms from the Nong Khai bridge, now if the Lao authorities would issue a free 30 days stamp in my passport I would likely visit Vientiane once a month, nice city to have a stroll. No way I will pay 1300 Baht to cross that bridge for just the day :o

And no, I am not driving to Khon Kaen to get that visa neither.

Wondering how they will do the visa thing there with the train?

I live 100kms from the Nong Khai bridge, now if the Lao authorities would issue a free 30 days stamp in my passport I would likely visit Vientiane once a month, nice city to have a stroll. No way I will pay 1300 Baht to cross that bridge for just the day :o

And no, I am not driving to Khon Kaen to get that visa neither.

Wondering how they will do the visa thing there with the train?

Add to the Lao visa, the fee to get a re-entry stamp at Immigration ( assuming it is also applicable in this case as it,s in another country ) it is even more of a ball ache for those on 1 year " O " visa,s.

Should anyone wish to do regular visits across the border it could be a good incentive to get a multi re-entry stamp.

If you then time visits to coincide with any 90 day reporting that is due, it possibly adds an additional attraction to it.

Personally i,m quite happy to stay this side of the border when i,m in Thailand.

Should it prove to be easier, then i might be tempted.

One additional thought, as a holder of a resident 1 year " O " visa, does anyone reckon we could be allowed the same status and easier less expensive, crossing facilities as those already in place for Thai citizens.

Without putting an additonal post on this in the visa forum, maybe Lopburi or someone from the section may be able to kindly add their experience / imput to advise us.

Edited by marshbags

For those bemoaning that the train is pointless due to Lao visa prices . . . well believe it or not there is about 60 million people in Thailand that don't have to pay for a visa! There is untold amount of them milling around Vientiane most days complete in yellow shirts and with there names on badges . . don't quite know why they feel name badges are necessary?

Add to the fact that it also opens up the route for all tourists (i.e. people holidaying not living in Thailand on holiday visas) visiting Thailand to beable to now sit on a train and go straight over the border to Laos. Believe it or not . . this might surprise people . .. . Thailand and Laos haven't got this train up and running just for you visa runners visiting the Thai Consulate! Although I am sure if you petition the Bangkok Post sufficiently they might consider moving the station to accomodate you along with signposts to the cheapest hotels in town for your one night stay. :o

I would imagine visas will be handled at the termination station when passengers disembark. The station is about 10-12kms outside the Vientiane centre lets face it there isn't a really a route they could of used to get the train to Vientiane centre. Also having an immigration point in Vientiane centre would be a nightmare to police!

The main news on the lao side is they are currently surveying and planning the extension of rail down south and across over and linking up with the Viet rail system.

At the end of it all if the colonial masters had been from a race which did more work than strikes then Laos already of had a rail system and been linked up to the colonial masters neighbouring colony Vietnam. However this is the french we are talking about . . . but I guess Lao people should just be happy for french bread! :D

Oh yes - I live 8 kms from the Friendship bridge and what I'd really like to know is why does it take me longer when I visit Thailand to pass through immigration in a 'democratic' nation than it does in a communist nation?

more information available on the BP article... declaring that it doesn't go to Vientiane, but to Thanaleng. There are, however, "plans" to one day reach Vietianne.... which is 20 km away.... :o

First Thai train crosses border to Laos

The first Thai train crossed the border to Laos yesterday on a trial run before the official opening of the line tentatively set for next month. Thai and Lao authorities, representatives from the private sector and local residents boarded the Bangkok-Nong Khai express train at 9.10am to experience a smooth, 3.5km ride on the new railway track which runs from Nong Khai to Thanaleng station in Laos via the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge. The line took almost three years to build. The construction of the rail line started on Oct 25, 2006, to move passengers and goods between the two countries. A plan to extend the line for another 20 kilometres to the capital Vientiane is under way. The Thai government gave Laos a soft loan and a grant of 197 million baht to build the railway from the middle of the bridge to Thanaleng. Dusit Pramotenee, an engineer who was responsible for the project, said the remaining work comprised an immigration office and a customs office which are still under construction.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/050708_News/05Jul2008_news08.php

Edited by sriracha john

For those bemoaning that the train is pointless due to Lao visa prices . . . well believe it or not there is about 60 million people in Thailand that don't have to pay for a visa! There is untold amount of them milling around Vientiane most days complete in yellow shirts and with there names on badges . . don't quite know why they feel name badges are necessary?

Add to the fact that it also opens up the route for all tourists (i.e. people holidaying not living in Thailand on holiday visas) visiting Thailand to beable to now sit on a train and go straight over the border to Laos. Believe it or not . . this might surprise people . .. . Thailand and Laos haven't got this train up and running just for you visa runners visiting the Thai Consulate! Although I am sure if you petition the Bangkok Post sufficiently they might consider moving the station to accomodate you along with signposts to the cheapest hotels in town for your one night stay. :D

I would imagine visas will be handled at the termination station when passengers disembark. The station is about 10-12kms outside the Vientiane centre lets face it there isn't a really a route they could of used to get the train to Vientiane centre. Also having an immigration point in Vientiane centre would be a nightmare to police!

The main news on the lao side is they are currently surveying and planning the extension of rail down south and across over and linking up with the Viet rail system.

At the end of it all if the colonial masters had been from a race which did more work than strikes then Laos already of had a rail system and been linked up to the colonial masters neighbouring colony Vietnam. However this is the french we are talking about . . . but I guess Lao people should just be happy for french bread! :D

Oh yes - I live 8 kms from the Friendship bridge and what I'd really like to know is why does it take me longer when I visit Thailand to pass through immigration in a 'democratic' nation than it does in a communist nation?

I can only see two posts that are highlighting " Lao visa prices "

While i cannot speak for tartempion I can assure you i am not bemoaning the visa charges as in complaining.

What i am doing is giving my personal take on the fact the I do not think it is worthwhile from my perspective to take advantage of the planned new service.

I might add also I am well aware of the benefits it will have for the people you list and would also like to add the benefits re the transporting of goods and the like also. ( Both ways )

Just to remind you, I for one am an expat and i therefore express my humble opinion based on this and for you to assume wrongly that we are ignoring the benefits to others this will bring, is way off the mark.

The part of your post i have highlighted in red is your own personal view and is coming across as rather sarcastic and possibly a little bitter for some reason.

Maybe you have a grudge against visa runners.

If i,m interpreting your post wrongly as you have mine, for one, I apologise for doing so.

When i say it will be a ball ache I am referring to the negatives in relation to 1 year " O " visa holders and me personally for one and others, that it,s not going to be worth the effort.

" signposts to the cheapest hotels in town for your one night stay. :D "

You obviously do not think to much of those living on the Thai side and that,s for sure, who have to do this dreaded run to comply with Immigration rules.

As for me and many others that do not need to go over the border for visas, we do not, and would be visiting for tourism reasons ect. only.

marshbags :o

It may " surpise you ", but many of the unfortunates who do visa runs, are just ordinary respectable,unassuming individuals, many with families, who are subject to this dreaded business as and when it is deemed neccessary, to be able to legally live with them in their respective Thai abodes

Edited by marshbags

Last time I went it was about 12-14km from Lao side of the bridge to Vientiane centre.

Maybe it lets you off in the middle of a rice paddy?

Maybe Vientiane has grown somewhat since your last visit!!!!!!! 555

I was last there in February... just in time for a cold snap!

I did notice a lot of improvements in Vientiane though since my last visit 3.5 years before - cleaner, nice sidewalks and the riverside restos had gone upscale (menus! who'd a thunk it!.

At the end of it all if the colonial masters had been from a race which did more work than strikes then Laos already of had a rail system and been linked up to the colonial masters neighbouring colony Vietnam. However this is the french we are talking about . . . but I guess Lao people should just be happy for french bread! :o

Ever been on French trains?

They work real good!

so after disembarking at that Lao railway station, whats next ? you still have to take an overpriced wreck which shouldnt dare to call itself a "Taxi" with no air-con and no brakes working to get to downtown Vientiane ?

sorry, maybe I miss something, but what is that train good for, as long as it doesnt go at least to downtown Vientiane....

Thank you for the information. I had not known about the 6.5 km track for a cargo train in the south.

and henceforth modify my post as below:

As it is their first passenger train and on behalf of train aficionados world-wide, I extend to Laos a very hearty,

"Welcome to the 19th Century!"

:o

Edited by sriracha john

• 7 months later...

First rail service linking NE Thailand and Laos opens March 5

BANGKOK: -- The first passenger rail service linking the northeastern Thai border province of Nong Khai and the Lao border town of Thanaleng will officially be opened on March 5, State Railway of Thailand (SRT) governor Youdtana Tupcharoen said on Friday.

The opening ceremony of the rail service will be presided over by Thai Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, he said.

A total of four passenger train services -- two leaving from Nong Khai and two from Thanaleng -- will be offered to passengers daily and travelling time will take 15 minutes, Mr. Youdtana said.

The train fare for an air-conditioned second class journey is Bt80 per trip, while for ordinary third class it is Bt20, he said.

It is projected that revenue from train fares would be more than Bt10 million during the first year of service.

-- TNA 2009-02-28