Young American Marine Dies In Thailand

sriracha john

16804485.jpg

Lance Corporal Steven M. West

Local Marine Dies On Tour In Thailand

Family Members Not Sure How Steven West Died

WILMINGTON, Mass. -- A local Marine died while on tour in Thailand Saturday.

The Lowell Sun reported that U.S. Marine Lance Corporal Steven M. West, 20, of Wilmington, did not die in combat, though his family members have not been told exactly how he died.

West’s body has not been returned home.

West’s father told the newspaper Steven West had been stationed in Okinawa, Japan, for the past eight to 10 months and was on tour in Thailand.

- WCVB Television News (Boston, Massachusetts, USA) / 06-07-08

==============================================================================

Marine dies in Thailand

Few details about how Wilmington man perished

WILMINGTON -- A local Marine has died while on tour in Thailand, and his family and friends were waiting to hear more about the circumstances surrounding his death last night.

U.S. Marine Lance Corporal Steven M. West, 20, of Wilmington, died while on active duty. His father, David West of Nashua, said he did not know the cause of his death, but that he did not die in action.

Selectman Louis Cimaglia, who serves as the veterans agent, said West's body has not returned and did not know the details surrounding his death.

David West said his son has been stationed in Okinawa, Japan, for the past eight to 10 months and was in Thailand on tour. He described Steven West as a talented musician who played jazz. He was an intelligent, friendly man who always had a smile on his face, David West said.

West played bass in the III Marine Expeditionary Force Band in Okinawa, according to the band's Web page on MySpace.com.

The 50-member band performs more than 300 concerts annually while undergoing intense annual training in Korea and providing security for the III MEF Command Elementary during deployments, according to the Web page. They also practice martial arts and rifle marksmanship on a regular basis.

The band comprises five ensembles, ranging from a concert band to a jazz combo. On April 18, JapanUpdate.com, a weekly online news site covering Okinawa, reported that West was set to play the bass guitar in the band's jazz combo at a concert in Koza, Okinawa, on the following night.

The band is one of a dozen fleet musical units in the U.S. Marine Corps, and is located on Camp Foster in Okinawa.

West, who also lived in Billerica, was the son of Jacqueline S. (O'Hara) and her husband Dennis Rooney of Wilmington, formerly of Billerica, and of David G. West and his wife, Rose West of Nashua, N.H., formerly of Tewksbury.

The wake for West will be held on Wednesday, from 4 to 8 p.m., at Nichols Funeral Home at 187 Middlesex Ave., in Wilmington, followed by the funeral on Thursday at 11 a.m. at St. Thomas Church in Woburn.

- Lowell Sun (Lowell, Massachusetts, USA) / 06-07-08

===============================================================================

Semper Fi, Lance Corporal West... Rest in Peace, Marine...

Edited by sriracha john

As a member of the band, I doubt Lcpl West died in a training accident (band memebers tend to do their military-type training at their home base, in this case, Camp Butler, Okinawa). It might have been in a vehicle accident (while a Marine, I lost more men this way than in any other way.) Or it could have been in an off-duty accident. However he died, my thoughts are with his family, friends, and fellow Marines.

If anyone can shed some light on what happened, I would be grateful if he or she could post that here.

Many Marines were at the Independence Day party on Saturday. Not just the guys in uniform; I believe there were some out of uniform there as well.

Just as a reminder,

WILMINGTON, Mass. -- A local Marine died while on tour in Thailand Saturday.

could easily mean that Saturday in Massachusetts really means Sunday here in Thailand.

BTW, only additional info I've found thus far is his brief obituary:

75TQ01600_07062008.jpg

Lance Cpl. Steven M. West

Age 20, of Wilmington, formerly of Billerica, while on active duty in Thailand. Beloved son of Jacqueline S. (O'Hara) & her husband Dennis Rooney of Wilmington, formerly of Billerica and David G. & his wife Rose West of Nashua, NH, formerly of Tewksbury. Complete notice to follow in Monday's edition. Nichols Funeral Home, Inc. 978-658-4744 www.nicholsfuneralhome.com

Published in the Boston Globe on 7/6/2008.

Edited by sriracha john

the Marine Corps has now said something...

Wilmington Marine dies in Thailand

Played in band while overseas

A 20-year-old Marine from Wilmington has died in Thailand on tour with the Third Marine Expeditionary Force Band, a town official and a Marine Corps spokesman said.

Lance Corporal Steven M. West had been serving in Okinawa, Japan, since Nov. 29, 2007, said First Lieutenant Judd Wilson, a Marine Corps spokesman.

As of last evening, the Marine Corps had not informed West's family how their son died, beyond saying he was not killed in combat, Wilmington Selectman Louis Cimaglia said. He said he spoke with West's family and Marine Corps officials yesterday.

West died July 2 at a hospital in Bangkok, where he was visiting as part of a goodwill tour, and the cause of death is still under investigation, Wilson said. West's family could not be reached.

West played bass for the band, Cimaglia said. "He was good; he was a talented kid," said Cimaglia, who didn't know West personally.

He joined the Marine Corps in December 2006 and was promoted to lance corporal on Jan. 1, 2008. He had been awarded the National Defense Service Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Medal, Wilson said.

West leaves his mother, Jacqueline (O'Hara) Rooney, and his stepfather, Dennis Rooney, of Wilmington; and his father, David West, and his stepmother, Rose, of Nashua. Cimaglia said West's body will be flown back to the United States late this evening or early tomorrow. A wake will be held Wednesday from 4 to 8 p.m. at Nichols Funeral Home in Wilmington. A funeral Mass will be said at 11 a.m. Thursday in St. Thomas Church in Woburn.

- Boston Globe

Edited by sriracha john

could easily mean that Saturday in Massachusetts really means Sunday here in Thailand.

That would mean they got the body home in record time. No autopsy? Nothing? Very queer indeed.

Condolences to the family.

Edited by dotcom

That would mean they got the body home in record time. No autopsy? Nothing? Very queer indeed.

Condolences to the family.

actually as per thread title and OP, his body has NOT been returned home as yet and later we have learned he died July 2.

"Death is under investigation" and the non-return of his body thus far would seem to indicate an autopsy would have been done. His wake is scheduled for Wed. (Thurs. in Thailand) in Massachusetts. Presuming his remains will be shipped by then.

The lack of information regarding the circumstances of his death, for the family in particular, must be truly unbearable. It's been my experience that the military is normally very quick and forthright in providing details to the family when a service-member dies in almost all "less than suspicious" situations.

It's possible that there was something very controversial about the way he died that might effect the image of the USMC. That's a conclusion i'd rather not draw but it is extremely odd it's taking them so long to find out the reason if he died in a hospital.

It's possible that there was something very controversial about the way he died that might effect the image of the USMC. That's a conclusion i'd rather not draw but it is extremely odd it's taking them so long to find out the reason if he died in a hospital.

lets have some compassion for the guy's family please - condolences to his family and rest in peace mate.

From your allies and friends from the UK based in Asia

Speculative and insensitive posts have been removed. We have seen in previous topics when a tragedy occurs and posted on TV, family members have come here for information and not speculation. Please keep this in mind, thanks.

Wilmington marine dies in Thailand

Wilmington — A local marine, who was known by many for his love of music, died last week in Thailand while serving on tour with the Third Marine Expeditionary Force Band.

Lance Corporal Steven M. West, 20, of Wilmington, died in a Bangkok hospital on July 2.

“Steven is one of the most talented musicians I have ever known,” said his father, David West, in a statement Monday about his son, who played bass in the band. “The U.S. Marine Corp provided Steven with an opportunity to complete his life performing music, which is what he loved the most and was his passion in life.” Steven made a great impact on and inspired many musicians, including his own father, said David.

While it has been determined West did not die in combat, his cause of death remains unknown to his family.

“We trust that the Marine Corp will do their best to provide information to us as they complete their work,” David said.

David said his son sounded pleasant and upbeat in their most recent conversations.

“He told me directly he was focusing on music and God,” read David’s statement, adding that Steven loved the Marine Corps.

West is survived by his mother, Jaqueline Rooney, and his stepfather Dennis Rooney, both of Wilmington; his father David West and his stepmother Rose of Nashua.

The family is holding a wake at the Nichols Funeral Home, 187 Middlesex Ave., on Wednesday, July 9, from 4-8 p.m. A funeral Mass will be held on Thursday, July 10, at 11 a.m. at St. Thomas Church in Woburn.

- The Daily News Tribune (Waltham, Massachusetts, USA) / 07-07-08

A physical autopsy can be done in a day but cultures and chemical analysis if required can take several weeks or months depending upon circumstances. People that expect instantaneous answers in complicated cases are unrealistic. No one in TV land knows if this is simple or complex.

As for the expectation that a cause of death be immediately released to the public is a bit pushy. Unless there was a crime or it was service related, the public doesn't really have a right to know. It's called privacy.

The family certainly has the right and as of now, they've been kept completely in the dark... for which there is no real justification.

I agree the family should be kept informed as soon as details become available. But, that may take longer than expected. I don't know the procedures for something like this in Thailand, but in the middle east they didn't do an autopsy until the body reached a base in the U.S. It took about 10 days for a friend to be returned to his family, and weeks to get the autopsy report.

Condolences to the friends and family.

STILL no explanations given to the family other than he his body is being shipped back... too late for his wake's original schedule....

Wilmington Marine Coming Home

You could say that Steven West had music in his blood.

His paternal grandfather, Robert West, played guitar in a military band while stationed with the U.S. Army in Guam. His paternal grandmother, Elizabeth West, has composed hundreds of songs and musicals. Both are part of the West & MacRae music-writing team.

His father and three of his paternal uncles, meanwhile, run West Brothers Music, a network of music schools that teach everything from piano and guitar to percussion and singing.

"Steven grew up to have a love of music," said Bruce Gertz, a professor at the Berklee College of Music, who taught West as a young teenager. "He was a quick learner, a very talented musician, and a very sweet kid -- the kind of person you don't want to lose."

But the music community in Greater Lowell and beyond was left with no choice but to mourn Steven West last week, when word spread that the 20-year-old Marine lance corporal had died in Thailand.

West had been on a goodwill tour with the Third Marine Expeditionary Force Band at the time. He played bass for the elite band, which is based out of Camp Foster in Japan, and was a member of its jazz combo.

He was pronounced dead at a hospital in the Bangkok area on July 2. The Marine Corps has refused to release any details about the circumstances of his death, saying that it is still under investigation.

After days of uncertainty, his family finally received confirmation from the military that it would be flying West into Boston's Logan Airport tomorrow, Veterans Agent Lou Cimaglia said yesterday.

A procession of state police and Wilmington police cruisers is expected to accompany his casket from the airport to the Nichols Funeral Home in Wilmington, where visiting hours will take place on Sunday from 4 to 8 p.m.

A funeral Mass will then be held on Monday at noon in the town's St. Thomas of Villanova Church. Internment will follow at Wildwood Cemetery.

Gertz said he was "in total shock" when he learned of West's death. He remembers West's father, David, asking him to write a recommendation letter for Steven when he was first preparing to enter the Marines. West joined the Marines after attending Billerica Memorial High School and Wilmington High School.

Gertz, who had taught one of West's uncles the electric bass in the 1980s, said West was a hungry learner with an uncanny musical ability. "It took him a day and a half to learn the 'Musical Sonata' on a guitar that he had just picked up," he marveled. "He was shy at first, but once he got comfortable, he couldn't stop. He was a natural."

Although he quickly settled on the bass as his instrument, West was curious about other musical styles. Barbara Morash, who runs the Music Is Art agency in Stoneham, remembers him sitting by quietly as his father once took a voice lesson with her. "I found him to be quite precocious in a most charming way," she wrote in an e-mail. "He smiled throughout the lesson and shook my hand afterward, letting me know he enjoyed meeting me and observing. I was very impressed with Steven's social ability and charisma."

West quickly immersed himself in the music scene, participating in Strings Attached programs -- he taught younger students at some of them -- and performing as a member of the Lowell Philharmonic Orchestra. There, he played bass alongside Billerica resident George Bibler in 2003 and 2004. Bibler remembers him as a "very serious, very quiet" young man. "By choosing to play in an orchestra, he was definitely wanting to push himself to a higher level," Bibler said yesterday. "I thought it was unusual for a younger person, especially a high-school student, to commit to this instrument and to stick with it for so long. It's pretty difficult."

That dedication is also what helped West successfully audition for the U.S. Marine Corps Band. He attended the Armed Forces School of Music in Virginia after completing basic training on Parris Island.

"Steven is one of the most talented musicians I have ever known," his father said recently. "We were very proud of his service to our country."

Memorial donations may be made to the Steven M. West Memorial Fund, c/o Lowell Five Savings Bank, 240 Main St., Wilmington MA 01887.

- Lowell Sun (Lowell, Massachusetts, USA) / 10-07-08

Edited by sriracha john

West remembered as a dedicated musician

Family and friends are preparing to lay to rest on Monday a boy many have called the greatest player they have ever heard.

Steven West, 20, had an ear for music at a very early age. West, who was accepted in into the United States Marine Corps band in 2006 after a 15-minute audition, died last week in Thailand.

The recently promoted Marine Corps Lance Corporal was on a goodwill tour in Thailand, when he was pronounced dead at a Bangkok hospital on July 2.

“[steven was] a gifted musician and still the greatest bass player I have ever witnessed,” wrote West’s uncle, Jim O’Hara, in a MySpace.com posting. “It was rare see Steven without an instrument. This was true from his earliest days on. While his peers were rapping and rocking, Steven was listening to [the known electric bass players, Victor] Wooten and Jaco Pastorius.”

And it was West’s budding talent and passion for music that landed him a spot in the Lowell Philharmonic Orchestra at the age of 15.

“For a such a young person to want to join an adult group and play is kind of remarkable,” said George Bibler, who played bass with West in orchestra in 2003 and 2004. “It showed his strong interest in having a musical career. Here is a 15-year-old that comes and keeps coming back for rehearsal after rehearsal. I was quite intrigued by his enthusiasm and his dedication and seriousness in playing the bass.” Bibler remembers West as a quiet and serious boy.

While it has been determined that West did not die in combat, the cause of his death is still under investigation.

West was stationed in Okinawa, Japan as a full-time musician in the Third Marine Expeditionary Forces band, which specializes in playing for foreign dignitaries all over the Pacific Rim, according to O’Hara’s posting. West was preparing to play with his fellow band members at the United States Embassy in Bangkok.

West is survived by his mother Jaqueline Rooney, and his stepfather Dennis Rooney, both of Wilmington; his father David West and his stepmother Rose of Nashua.

The family is holding a wake at the Nichols Funeral Home, 187 Middlesex Ave., on Sunday, July 13, from 4-8 p.m. A funeral Mass will be held on Monday July 14 at 12 p.m. at St. Thomas Church in Wilmington.

- Wilmington Advocate / July 12, 2008

My deepest sympathies & prayers go out to the family of this young man. I did not know him but certainly can relate to the pain they must feel as I first came to this site in search of answers of my own marine who suspiciously died in Thailand last month. Its such an overwhelming tragedy to get that phone call my heart truly breaks for his loved ones. I concur with those who ask everyone to keep comments tasteful as family & friends do often refer to these sites for furthur information. Unfortunately in my own experience, answers do come few & far between when it comes to the military, and most of Thai's reportings are indeed "trash", as someone else stated. Closure does not come easy but may God grant them the serenity to accept the things they cannot change & the wisdom to know the difference. Another brave young marine gone far too soon...... God Bless & Semper Fi.

207d0b20d243.jpg

Jacqueline and Dennis Rooney, mother and stepfather of Lance Cpl. Steven West, place flowers on his casket.

Honoring Steven M. West at funeral

Standing alongside Middlesex Avenue Monday were dozens of Wilmington residents, holding U.S. flags of various sizes.

An ornate horse-drawn carriage marched down the center of the street, followed by a group of Marines in their formal uniforms.

After they went past, those watching from the side joined the march, with everyone arriving at St. Thomas Church, 126 Middlesex Ave., to pay tribute to a local Marine.

Lance Cpl. Steven M. West, 20, of Wilmington, died in a Bangkok hospital on July 2. He had been serving in Okinawa, Japan since Nov. 29, 2007, and was visiting Thailand on a goodwill tour with the Third Marine Expeditionary Force Band. The cause of death is still under investigation.

Steven’s family was in attendance Monday, including his mother and stepfather, Jacqueline and Dennis Rooney, of Wilmington, formerly of Billerica; and his father David West and his wife, Rose, of Nashua, N.H., formerly of Tewksbury.

At the start of the funeral service, after the congregation entered the church, the Marines silently led West’s casket into the main chapel and down the center aisle. Several people in attendance started crying as the solemn organ music played.

A white garment was placed over the casket, which Rev. Paul Flammia of St. Thomas said represented West’s baptism.

After the introductory rites and the entrance procession, Edward Hunt presented a reading from the Book of Ecclesiastes, including the passage “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under Heaven, a time to be born, and a time to die.”

Flammia said this passage is familiar to most people, not just because of it was turned into popular song in the 1960s, but also because people recognize the truth of it. Everything listed in Ecclesiastes, he said, is a good thing, representative of God’s love.

Flammia said in his remarks that the key difference between life on Earth and life in Heaven is that on Earth, people are imperfect, and in Heaven, they achieve perfection. The sadness and uncertainly felt about West’s death, he said, is part of the imperfect human condition. He assured West’s family and friends that West is in Heaven.

“He’s saying to you, ‘I’m OK, now I want you to be OK.’”

Flammia said West’s mother had told him she believed God had taken Steven for a reason. Flammia chose an alternate way to look at it.

“God does not take, he gives,” Flammia said. “God didn’t take Steven, God gave him a new life.” Flammia said God always gives, and that is His nature.

After Flammia’s remarks, he and the other ministers prepared and served the Holy Communion.

The service contained performances of several hymns, including “Shepard Me, O Lord,” “You Are Near,” and concluding with “Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory.”

The Marines then slowly carried West’s casket out of the chapel, with the congregation following.

Outside, a bagpiper played “Amazing Grace” as the casket was placed inside an ornate horse-drawn carriage, which led the way to Wildwood Cemetery on Middlesex Avenue.

The congregation followed, some in cars and the rest on foot.

Moving north on Middlesex Avenue, the procession walked beneath a gigantic U.S. flag, hanging over the street off of two fire truck ladders.

Throughout the afternoon, police rerouted traffic around the town common so as not to interfere with the funeral procession.

For those who wish, memorial donations in West’s name may be made to Steven M. West Memorial Fund, c/o Lowell Five Savings Bank, 240 Main St., Wilmington, MA 01887.

- Wilmington Advocate / July 14, 2008

================================================================================

YouTube Video of the funeral of Lance Corporal Steven M. West

20080715__TLocalp2.jpg

A horse-drawn caisson carries the casket of Marine Lance Cpl. Steven West under a giant American flag held up by two fire-engine ladders on Middlesex Avenue in Wilmington yesterday en route to Wildwood Cemetery.

20080715__TLocalp1.jpg

A Marine Corps honor guard carries the casket of Marine Lance Cpl. Steven West to his final resting place at Wildwood Cemetery in Wilmington yesterday. West, 20, died in Thailand on July 2.

20080715__TLocalp3.jpg

Members of a Marine Corps honor guard fire a salute at Wildwood Cemetery at the conclusion of the graveside ceremony.

'We will see Steven again soon'

WILMINGTON -- They still don't know how or why he died.

But Marine Lance Corporal Steven West's relatives and friends found some solace as they met amongst the rolling hills of Wildwood Cemetery yesterday.

"It's very sad for me to think that Steven will be away from us for a while," his father, David West, said as he stood by his son's flag-draped coffin. "But Steven has not died. He has simply fallen asleep in Christ. I trust you, Lord, will take care of our son. ... We will see Steven again soon."

Yet, saying goodbye was heart-wrenching.

As the melancholy notes of Taps washed over the gathering of relatives, friends, fellow Marines, and honor-guard members shortly after, many of them could not hold back tears.

Their lips quivered as two Marines knelt before his parents, presenting them with two neatly folded flags, one of which had just been lifted off his casket.

Jacqueline Rooney, West's mother, clutched the bundle tightly against her chest, until one of her younger sons clambered up onto her knees.

In a letter to the 20-year-old West that was read during his funeral Mass, Rooney described her son as "a special soul."

"I believe it is your strength that is getting me through all of this and that comforts me," she wrote. "Your time here may have been short, but you squeezed a whole lot of living in such a short time. It was as if you knew you had to complete the journey quickly."

West also has been praised by local musicians, ever since he died under mysterious circumstances in Thailand on July 2.

He started playing the bass as a young teenager and quickly immersed himself in the area's music scene, participating in Strings Attached programs and performing as a member of the Lowell Philharmonic Orchestra.

While enlisting in the Marine Corps in 2006, he clinched an audition and was sent to the Armed Forces School of Music in Virginia shortly after.

On Nov. 29, he touched down in Japan, officially a member of the III Marine Expeditionary Force Band.

"He never settled for simplicity. Everything he did was about shock and awe," his father said yesterday. "The Marine Corps gave Steven the ability to complete his life doing what he loved."

West was on a goodwill tour with the band in Thailand when he died. The Marine Corps has refused to release any details about the circumstances of his death, saying that it is still under investigation.

"The greatest question is: 'Why? Why is Steven no longer here with us?'" the Rev. Paul Flammia asked yesterday during his homily. "The answer is difficult and mysterious and unknown to us. But we cannot lose hope or faith."

And so, Wilmington gave its fallen son a magnificent homecoming.

Dozens of local police officers helped a handful of Marines escort the horse-drawn caisson carrying West's coffin from St. Thomas of Villanova Church to Wildwood Cemetery. The roars of the Patriot Guard Riders' motorcycles filled the air, interrupted only by the clatter of horse hooves.

Handfuls of onlookers gathered on Town Common, holding flags or laying their hands on their hearts. As it approached the cemetery, the procession passed under an enormous archway made out of two fire-engine ladders.

Between them, Old Glory fluttered in the wind.

Nearby sat a large sign painted in red, white and blue.

"Welcome Home Lance Corporal Steven West," it read.

Memorial donations may be made to the Steven M. West Memorial Fund, c/o Lowell Five Savings Bank, 240 Main St., Wilmington, MA 01887.

- Lowell Sun / July 15, 2008