Australian Passport For A Child - Letter Of Consent

I did search and one of posts, an extract from Oz Embassy web site, says:

Child's Australian passport

Please complete the child's passport application available at www.passports.gov.au Once the application is completed please print it out and sign the appropriate places. You will note that a person who has known your child for 1 year (or since birth) must sign the application & one photograph. Many people find it convenient to have their ob/gyn or family doctor sign the application for an infant child.

One parent must then come in person to lodge the application and be interviewed. We do not need to see the child. The parent must bring with them:

- fully completed application form

- 2 correctly endorsed photographs

- child's original birth certificate and English language translation

- child's original Australian citizenship certificate

- identification for both parents such as Australian or Thai passports (note: the names on the parents ID must match the names on the child's birth certificate)

- if parents current names do not match those on the birth cert you must present evidence of a name change (ie: marriage cert if your wife has changed her surname since the child was born, name change certificate if your name is different etc).

We will only need to see your original birth certificate if you are unable to present your Australian passport to show that you are the person listed as the father on the child's Thai birth certificate.

However, the site itself says :

"Before a passport may be issued to a child the written consent of all persons with parental responsibility for the child is needed. "

Oz Passports in BKK

Is that new?

If both parents turn up to lodge the application, is it still needed?

If it is needed, is there a sample what it should look like and who has to endorse it?

Edited by think_too_mut

Oz Embassy in Tokyo says, in their rules:

My child's Mother/ Father are currently overseas. How should I go about getting their consent.

If one parent lives outside the country in which you are lodging the child's passport, then that parent needs to take their passport into their nearest Passport Office in Australia or the nearest Australian Embassy if overseas. The parent must fill out the consent on the passport application for the child. This will then be forwarded along to Tokyo allowing the passport to be issued.

That means me - I live outside of the country where the application is being logged and I have to write that for an Oz passport althought my Oz citizenship is the very basis for her citizenship and now passport?

I did search and one of posts, an extract from Oz Embassy web site, says:

Child's Australian passport

Please complete the child's passport application available at www.passports.gov.au Once the application is completed please print it out and sign the appropriate places. You will note that a person who has known your child for 1 year (or since birth) must sign the application & one photograph. Many people find it convenient to have their ob/gyn or family doctor sign the application for an infant child.

One parent must then come in person to lodge the application and be interviewed. We do not need to see the child. The parent must bring with them:

- fully completed application form

- 2 correctly endorsed photographs

- child's original birth certificate and English language translation

- child's original Australian citizenship certificate

- identification for both parents such as Australian or Thai passports (note: the names on the parents ID must match the names on the child's birth certificate)

- if parents current names do not match those on the birth cert you must present evidence of a name change (ie: marriage cert if your wife has changed her surname since the child was born, name change certificate if your name is different etc).

We will only need to see your original birth certificate if you are unable to present your Australian passport to show that you are the person listed as the father on the child's Thai birth certificate.

However, the site itself says :

"Before a passport may be issued to a child the written consent of all persons with parental responsibility for the child is needed. "

Oz Passports in BKK

Is that new?

If both parents turn up to lodge the application, is it still needed?

If it is needed, is there a sample what it should look like and who has to endorse it?

Read on here...... http://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Newppt/Consent.aspx

If there is a third parental party.....that persons consent will be needed....the above page covers what is required if the third party consent can not be obtained.

Basically from what I have read is that the natural father doesnt need to be there to lodge the application...but unless he has signed the application then a letter of consent should be obtained...If this cannot be obtained then you will need to show that you have made every effort to obtain the consent.

I was in a similar situation with the mother outside Oz although the application was lodged in Oz.

I forwarded the application form to the mother who signed the form and posted it back to me. I then signed my part of the consent and took the passport application along with my child to the local post office in Oz. They checked the documents and forwarded the application for processing. The passport was issued a week later.

If memory serves me right the parental consent blocks are towards the back of the passport application form. This was maybe 4 years ago

You are right. It's Passport Application question 15. with 2 blocks to sign - for mother and father.

No special form.