Big C Sukhothai

amsterdammer

Any news on the Big C Superstore opening in Sukhothai?

I happened to be in Sukhothai on July 5th last year progressing a land purchase of my own, when it appeared that the deal had been struck between Big C officials and a number of local land owners for the construction of the latest superstore.

I was at the local government land registry dept. making the necessary land transfer tax payments etc at the time. I expected the overly bureaucratic process to run at snails pace, but I did not envisage so many other people making similar land transfers and tax payments in front of me in the queue.

Next it was into the Sukhothai branch of Bangkok Bank, and this too was packed with locals carrying large wads of cash. The manager looked flustered to say the least, and the bank-note counting machines where working overtime. I met the manager of the Toyota dealership in the hotel restaurant that evening, and he said he wished his office had a revolving door that day as he sold so much stock. I imagine the liquor store done good business that day too! :o

I was told that the new Big C store would be located on the Jarodwithithong Road between Sukhothai old and new towns and that it would be open within the year.

I can imagine that a large superstore opening up in the neighbourhood cannot be good news for some of the local small traders. Don't know how small proprietorships can compete on price or convenience, I guess locals and tourist alike prefer to do their shopping in large air conditioned superstores rather than traipsing around hot and dusty streets, plus of course you get KFC and Dunkin' Donuts, but that’s progress I guess.

Chock Dee my friends

Thanks for this. I probably should have researched a little and found the info myself.

I guess I am just a little surprised how quickly such a store can be built and become operational when considering building permits, land fill, levelling and compacting, construction, shop-fitting, stocking and staff recruitment. Just goes to show how quick projects can come to fruition when the right incentives are applied.

Any visitor reports? The map shows it pretty much equidistant to Sukhothai old and new towns (around 6 clicks each way). How are the local traders bearing up? I do recall a small scale campaign organized in an attempt protect local traders interests from the powerful incumbent

I can't get back into town until end of this year to check it out for myself, and dunk some donuts (not) :o

Cheers!

Thanks for this. I probably should have researched a little and found the info myself.

I guess I am just a little surprised how quickly such a store can be built and become operational when considering building permits, land fill, levelling and compacting, construction, shop-fitting, stocking and staff recruitment. Just goes to show how quick projects can come to fruition when the right incentives are applied.

Any visitor reports? The map shows it pretty much equidistant to Sukhothai old and new towns (around 6 clicks each way). How are the local traders bearing up? I do recall a small scale campaign organized in an attempt protect local traders interests from the powerful incumbent

I can't get back into town until end of this year to check it out for myself, and dunk some donuts (not) :o

Cheers!

Quite a nice sized store but not as big as Tesco's in Phitsanaluk.I spotted one other falang eating ice cream in Swensons but the rest were wide eyed local yokels.