Route 22/ Sawang Dan Din

kevin2008

I remember one time sitting at the coffee shop in Tesco with a mate, Farang chap comes along we say hello, he stops and starts chatting, VERY nice bloke, wife suddenly appears, whispers loudly "We have to go, you shouldn't be talking to them!"

I had no idea who she was or why me and my teacher mate had been singled out?

"No honey, nice guys, their just telling me about building houses, you asked me if we shold and they seem to know good prices and stuff"

Errr - Tilac, we have to go now, say good-bye

"No honey, we was going to stay for lunch, hey guys, let's all have lunch together"

Err Darling, no my stomach very sore, I think I am sick, you have to take me home NOW (Said in such a way as to imply any further conjugal visits at night would never happen)

"Err ok - see you guys around"

Off they rushed, never saw him again.

But it's pretty common, a lot of local gals for some reason DON'T want us to mix.

Hmmmmmm

• Like 2

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just went to the Pattaya 3 to have a look. Decent place, but could have been so much more. No people though. Couple of resturants, not much more. Asked if it was ok to go swimming there, no problem they said. Didnt though :) go to the pool in SDD instead. I think i had more hopes of like a buzzing beach spot :) ,that got crushed. Hehe

• Like 1

Ahhh - maybe that is what she means, I haven't seen it myself yet, will investigate further,

There was a farang nutcase in SDD, oddly it's only been Drunk obnoxious Farang's the wife has had to ever throw out of the restaurant, never a Thai, errr had me throw out,

Kevin - your not half cracked but I still think your a good egg, your wife is a great egg though biggrin.pngtongue.pngwai2.gif

Are you still around? I am stuck in Bangkok on a never ending project, wife and kids arrive tomorrow for a few days.

@ CTO...NO, back in the old sod and lousy weather, grey skies,grey buildings, grey roads, but a wise traveler shoulld never depise his own country. Jan reading your post with a big smile on her face. smile.png Hope to move permanently later in the year.
@ diggledunc.........I think the guy is now a born again citizen, and has moved on, so, say no more until you hear more.....biggrin.png
Edited by kevin2008

Just went to the Pattaya 3 to have a look. Decent place, but could have been so much more. No people though. Couple of resturants, not much more. Asked if it was ok to go swimming there, no problem they said. Didnt though smile.png go to the pool in SDD instead. I think i had more hopes of like a buzzing beach spot smile.png ,that got crushed. Hehe

In the day dead. I have heard this site is going to be redevloped in the near future. Farsical what I heard shops, bars, restaurants!!!!!! Don't know how much truth there is in it.

The Kingpin of the Falang meetings in Tesco is old John ( aussie ) He makes a big effort to get falangs talking to each other. sad.png He is there most Friday afternoons. Be ready for a fair bit of sarcasm from him, all in very good humour and if you have car...well, he might ask for a lift home biggrin.png ( 10km )................Draught lager sold in Tesco at the food court.

@ mobile content...........I know of a farang in Phang Khon that is known throughout Sakon Nakhon province as he was beaten up three times in the last 6 months at three different Tawan Daeng. He still try to explain to me that he didn't do anything wrong AND ITS THE LOCALS and I suggested Isaan and Thailand isn't really for him and I had a lough when he told me he wants to go back to Pattaya. cheesy.gif

......Just wondering what a Tawan Daeng is , so i Googled it and found the following laugh.pnglaugh.pnghttp://www.afana.org/tawan.htm

Edited by kevin2008

Nice way to chill out for an evening is a visit to the huge lake/dam south of Phon Khun.....take some beer/food/camera and watch the sun setting over the lake. Beautiful. Going east on 22 take a right in Phon Khun on 227 and take a left past the college.

Boxing is a sport i dislike, Thai or otherwise. Fail to understand how enjoyment/pleasure can be derived from watching two persons face punch or kick the <deleted> out of one another. Sadistic pleasure ? rolleyes.gif

Yes Kevin2008, I am living in that village at the water reservoir. I am often at the dam. Send me a PM when you drop by next time.

• Like 1

Nice way to chill out for an evening is a visit to the huge lake/dam south of Phon Khun.....take some beer/food/camera and watch the sun setting over the lake. Beautiful. Going east on 22 take a right in Phon Khun on 227 and take a left past the college.

Boxing is a sport i dislike, Thai or otherwise. Fail to understand how enjoyment/pleasure can be derived from watching two persons face punch or kick the <deleted> out of one another. Sadistic pleasure ? :rolleyes:

Yes Kevin2008, I am living in that village at the water reservoir. I am often at the dam. Send me a PM when you drop by next time.

Is that a place for swimming or just a nice view/hangout?

• Like 1

Boxing is a sport i dislike, Thai or otherwise. Fail to understand how enjoyment/pleasure can be derived from watching two persons face punch or kick the <deleted> out of one another. Sadistic pleasure ? rolleyes.gif

Is that Nam Oon you are referring to ?

• Like 1

@ mobile content...........I know of a farang in Phang Khon that is known throughout Sakon Nakhon province as he was beaten up three times in the last 6 months at three different Tawan Daeng. He still try to explain to me that he didn't do anything wrong AND ITS THE LOCALS and I suggested Isaan and Thailand isn't really for him and I had a lough when he told me he wants to go back to Pattaya. cheesy.gif

......Just wondering what a Tawan Daeng is , so i Googled it and found the following laugh.pnglaugh.pnghttp://www.afana.org/tawan.htm

they'reclubs with Thai bands on usually. Been to Udon good, want to go to PK but willstopnight if I can find hotel/room

• Like 1

There's a whole series of Tawandaeng nightclubs in Bangkok and
various cities upcountry, mostly around Isaan as best as I can gather.
Not sure if they's all owned by the same parties, but they tend to have
the bull horns logo.

Popular places for Thai
country music, usually with restaurant that serves pretty good Thai
food. So they're a popular place for Thais (and farangs) to go for a
relatively inexpensive night out of live bands playing Thai country
music, lots of beer and Thai whisky, food to eat, and usually dancing at
the tables.

The one in Udon is on a sidestreet
adjoining the Central Plaza mall there. There's also at least four of
them in Bangkok, two on Soi Pattanakarn, one on Rama III and another up
north on the road heading toward Rangsit. The one on Rama III is more
upmarket and farang oriented, whereas the Soi Pattanakarn ones are more
like the ones upcountry.

• Like 1

Wife Tells me Nam Oon is correct and just somewhere to hangout early evening, as im not sure if there is any street lighting after dark, but looking at all the used condoms on the ground around the tyres...say no more .....tongue.png...... There is a small hotel in PK , name of PUTACHAD, located to the rear of the Farmers bank.

Edited by kevin2008

Wife Tells me Nam Oon is correct and just somewhere to hangout early evening, as im not sure if there is any street lighting after dark, but looking at all the used condoms on the ground around the tyres...say no more .....tongue.png...... There is a small hotel in PK , name of PUTACHAD, located to the rear of the Farmers bank.

Yes, Nam Oom is correct. Used condoms ? Have been living here for two years at Nam Oon and never saw one YET but the banging happen at the waterfall according to my wife. Their are three resorts in PK and one called Nam Oon Resort which is around 6 km from Nam Oon dam. Their is one resort about 1km from Nam Oon which was bought by an English chap two months ago for 3 million Baht (way to expensive). The best resort in PK seems to be Thewa Grand Resort Hotel but the Nam Oon Resort is around 450 Baht per night and the best of its class. Their is a Wat that can arrange the rental of a boat to the other site of the dam for BBQ parties and Nam Oon has now a large scale restaurant with free Wifi.

A lot has changed over the past 2 years.

• Like 1

Is that a place for swimming or just a nice view/hangout?

Swimming happens only at the waterfall during Songkran, where thousands of locals are flooding to Nam Oon to celebrate Songkran.

• Like 1

@diggledunc

I take it they're Udon, Sakon and PK. Now that is a big area to get a reputation in. Is he going?

He went to Pattaya and Europe and the bad news is he is coming back next week. He has a lot of cash and like to invite people's that he met in Pattaya to come stay with him in PK. Many of those friends he meet in Pattaya think that Pattaya is Isaan, so they can behave in the same way they do in Pattaya as well in Isaan. It really doesn't take long before they get beaten up because Macho's is the last thing we need here in Sakon/Isaan.

• Like 1

Nam Oon was a nice place, i'll be up there for fishing later. But anyone in here got any tips for fishing in a lake? What bait to use and that stuff? My only fishing experience is from the ocean. Done almost none lake/river fishing before.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier somebody mentioned the Chang Noi resort near Nong Mek. Went to have a look last Friday and it was closed, had been for a year apparently.

Just thought I would post so that it might save somebody a trip to find the gates are closed.

Yes - it was for sale, but I don't think ever sold.

Nice lady owned it but a long way from anywhere

Earlier somebody mentioned the Chang Noi resort near Nong Mek. Went to have a look last Friday and it was closed, had been for a year apparently.

Just thought I would post so that it might save somebody a trip to find the gates are closed.

• 1 month later...

The Kingpin of the Falang meetings in Tesco is old John ( aussie ) He makes a big effort to get falangs talking to each other. sad.png He is there most Friday afternoons. Be ready for a fair bit of sarcasm from him, all in very good humour and if you have car...well, he might ask for a lift home biggrin.png ( 10km )................Draught lager sold in Tesco at the food court.

Talking about how far reputations reach...I'm in AUSTRALIA and I know who you're referring to ;) John also holds court in Nong Khai once a month or so when he goes up there to clear his mailbox :)

• 1 month later...

The Old Bjorn Steak House, opp High School, can't remember new name, now has a Steak all you can eat buffet, 149 baht, seems a great deal!

Have you been yet. Called in Saturday before last and couldn't find anybody to serve a beer til I went round the back. Went about 4pm and they hadn't really got the food out and they're supposed to be open from 4pm. They said open from 11am but the food changed to buffet at 4pm. Supposed to be going next Saturday afternoon after driving range so will see. Not confident they do what they advertise.