Tot Adsl - I'm Fed Up, Time For A Change

PattayaDavid

OZEMADE,

Banglamung Cable Net sounds interesting. I have used Banglamung Cable TV for 3 years now and have been very much satisfied with their reliability although the programing could be better. Is the cable modem installed inside in the vicinity of your computer? For 9,090 baht, did you actually purchase the cable modem or is it still only a rental?

You stated "My Download speed today at 3PM was 1820Kbps and Upload Speed was 460Kbps." Where was the speedtest connection performed, was it Bangkok? What kind of connection speeds do you get say to New York and San Francisco.

I checked my speeds with my TOT Gold Cyber recently with the following results:

Thursday night at 2140 hours:

Bangkok 1779 kbps download 343 kbps upload Ping 310ms

San Francisco 581 kbps download 62 kbps upload Ping 999ms

New York 60 kbps download 35 kbps upload Ping 936ms

Friday morning at 1010 hours:

Bangkok 1760 kbps download 383 kbps upload Ping 216ms

San Francisco 1739 kbps download 148 kbps upload Ping 586ms

New York 172 kbps download 91 kbps upload Ping 784ms

No wonder I can't watch Fox News videos with a 60 kbps download being that Fox News is located in New York. I tried to watch Bill O'Reilly's talking points 2 min 50 sec long. It took a good 5 min just to get a picture then another 4 or 5 min followed by an 11 sec playback, another 5 min pause following by 15 sec playback. I figured it would take me 30 - 45 minutes just to watch the full video. A year ago I could watch this same video interrupted by only momentary (few seconds) pauses. Note that downspeeds to San Francisco displayed a notable improvement during the morning hours here.

Could you do me a favor and perform a speed test using www.speedtest.net for San Franscisco and New York for comparisons? Also, could you go to the Fox News link http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html and try to play one of the videos and provide me your results and opinion?

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Is Supernet and Banglamung Cable Net the same or are they two different companies? I live off of Soi Khaw Noi on the east side of Sukcumvit and am presently using TOT Gold Cyber, but have been very disappointed with it's international service and lack of video viewing such as YouTube. I am presently using Banglamung Cable TV so would their cable net be the best route for me to go? Do you prefer the cable modem service over traditional ADSL services in Pattaya? Do you get good international download/upload speeds? Can you view videos such as YouTube and downstream videos from sources such as CNN or Fox News? Can I still use my D-Link 2740B wireless modem/router in conjunction with the cable modem for use with my notebook computer? Where can I find Supernet or who carries it in Pattaya?

Pattayadavid

I went to the TT&T office in CarreFour today and was told that there were no available (free) TT&T phone lines in my area, all were taken. I was told that I would have to wait for a cancellation which may take up to two months. Now, it looks like I may have to choose from either CAT ADSL, if they can use TOT phone lines, or Banglamung Cable Modem ADSL. Is there anyone living off of Soi Khaw Noi who is presently using either CAT ADSL with a TOT phone connection or Banglamung Cable Modem ADSL? If so, could you give me your opinion of your service, in particular, your international connections and steaming video capability?

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Is Supernet and Banglamung Cable Net the same or are they two different companies? I live off of Soi Khaw Noi on the east side of Sukcumvit and am presently using TOT Gold Cyber, but have been very disappointed with it's international service and lack of video viewing such as YouTube. I am presently using Banglamung Cable TV so would their cable net be the best route for me to go? Do you prefer the cable modem service over traditional ADSL services in Pattaya? Do you get good international download/upload speeds? Can you view videos such as YouTube and downstream videos from sources such as CNN or Fox News? Can I still use my D-Link 2740B wireless modem/router in conjunction with the cable modem for use with my notebook computer? Where can I find Supernet or who carries it in Pattaya?

Pattayadavid

I returned to London yesterday and just out of interest I carried out some test from England to Bankok and the speed was as bad as it is in Thailand so it might not all be TOT fault I get better speeds going to Sydney

I'm in BKK this month with True ADSL. No problem getting YouTube. In August I return to Pattaya where I have TOT since February and, unfortunately, no YouTube. I plan to bail out of TOT and go over to TT&T Maxnet. YouTube is just too important a source of information (BBC, EU, CNN, US prez election) and entertainment.

The Loxinfo manager in Pattaya told me that TOT's international internet feed is low grade. Banning YouTube certainly frees up some bandwidth. Plus that obnoxious a**hole and his derogatory clips about the king...

From the previous posts I gather that (please correct if wrong)

1/ TT&T Maxnet has an office in Carrefour. I can't remember seeing it, where is it?

2/ A TT&T phone line is required (with possibly a lengthy wait). My present TOT line cannot be used?

3/ TT&T Maxnet subscribers have not experienced any YouTube censorship?

4/ I once found the TT&T Maxnet website but have lost it. Google brings now only a speed test. Anybody has it?

1/ TT&T Maxnet has an office in Carrefour. I can't remember seeing it, where is it?

TT & T office at Carrefour is on upper floor - same same Carrefour - go up escalators taking you in front of Home Pro - turn right towards Carrefour - continue to bear right - TT & T has an office on an interior wall on your left.

Anyone else experience this problem with TOT on tuesday night?All night long disconnected every 3 or 4 minutes.From 8 pm already and now 02.25 am.Changed modem already,changed settings.Getting wild by now because 1100 service says ofcourse that there is no problem with the connection.But it took me about 45 minutes to get in with them.

Thanks to newbie and monty for the info. :D

As for basjke I'm too experiencing a lot of unusual short and not so short internet cuts with True 4MPS ADSL in Bangkok for the past few days, especially in the afternoon. I don't bother to call True anymore. Every time I complain about internet troubles on the phone they blame my equipment. Eventually the connection reverts to normal, anyway. :o

For info (from yesterday's The Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/1...ia.digitalmedia ):

YouTube, which was founded in California in 2005, was bought by Google just a year later for $1.65bn and has since become the biggest video sharing website on the web.

It has an estimated 72 million users in the US alone, and its videos are watched more than 2.5 billion times each month.

In the UK, YouTube accounted for almost 50% of the 3.5bn video clips watched by web users in March, according to the latest comScore figures.

Anyone else experience this problem with TOT on tuesday night?All night long disconnected every 3 or 4 minutes.From 8 pm already and now 02.25 am.Changed modem already,changed settings.Getting wild by now because 1100 service says ofcourse that there is no problem with the connection.But it took me about 45 minutes to get in with them.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad to see that someone else was having a problem with TOT yesterday and again this morning.  I thought it was just me because yesterday afternoon, I changed my connection IP Address to a static address to setup Port Fowarding for use with Utorrent.  I couldn't understand why my connection speeds had slowed down so drastically especially the international connections.  It seems that TOT always screws up in conjunction to when I make a change in settings therefore I never know whether it was my settings change that caused the slowdown or malfunction or TOT themselves.

Pattayadavid

I'm in BKK this month with True ADSL. No problem getting YouTube. In August I return to Pattaya where I have TOT since February and, unfortunately, no YouTube. I plan to bail out of TOT and go over to TT&T Maxnet. YouTube is just too important a source of information (BBC, EU, CNN, US prez election) and entertainment.

The Loxinfo manager in Pattaya told me that TOT's international internet feed is low grade. Banning YouTube certainly frees up some bandwidth. Plus that obnoxious a**hole and his derogatory clips about the king...

From the previous posts I gather that (please correct if wrong)

2/ A TT&T phone line is required (with possibly a lengthy wait). My present TOT line cannot be used?

3/ TT&T Maxnet subscribers have not experienced any YouTube censorship?

4/ I once found the TT&T Maxnet website but have lost it. Google brings now only a speed test. Anybody has it?

I was at the TT&T office yesterday............yes there is a lengthy wait for a phone line...........I am on a waiting list and have arranged for a Thai friend to call them regularly to assist in bumping it along...........

I have TOT 1MB/512K package which is costing me 2700B/month, I see from the maxnet link that for slightly cheaper I could be getting 4M/1M from them, anybody know what the service is like from Maxnet in terms of how frequently it drops out ?

Also does anybody know if I would have to have a new TOT telephone line or if they would be able to connect to my existing TOT line that I'm using currently with TOT ADSL ?

Monty sounds like your a bit of an expert on this am I correct in thinking that If TT&T don't have a DSLAM within 2Km of my home then download speeds of 4M would not be possible ?

Is it possible to find out from the web or TT&T office where their DSLAM's are located ?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad to see that someone else was having a problem with TOT yesterday and again this morning. I thought it was just me because yesterday afternoon, I changed my connection IP Address to a static address to setup Port Fowarding for use with Utorrent. I couldn't understand why my connection speeds had slowed down so drastically especially the international connections. It seems that TOT always screws up in conjunction to when I make a change in settings therefore I never know whether it was my settings change that caused the slowdown or malfunction or TOT themselves.

Pattayadavid

Well let's have an update on my problem.As I reported before,since 8 pm tuesday,my adsl connection disconnected every 4 minutes for about 2 minutes.Every 6 minutes I got a new ip address from tot.I reported it to the 1100 customer service at 2 am wednesday.However when I woke up an wednesday the problem was still excactly the same.At 1 pm I call again to 1100 and they tell me that there seems to be no problem with their line so it will be my modem.You have to know that I switched modem 3 times already during that time.At about 2.30 pm,I still get disconnected every 4 minutes,I remember that the day before in the morning a techinician from tot called my mobile to know if ny connection was ok :D .So i look up that number and call it.Again same s-hit about the modem.At that point I get realy upset and tell them that if the problem is fixed in the next 30 minutes I will be at the TOT office and it will not look nice when I arrive.Mysteriously my adsl hasn't disconnected once since that phone call.So who are they playing with the b*lls as they first can't fix a problem for 24 hours but when you get realy mad they can fix it within less then 4 minutes. :o

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad to see that someone else was having a problem with TOT yesterday and again this morning. I thought it was just me because yesterday afternoon, I changed my connection IP Address to a static address to setup Port Fowarding for use with Utorrent. I couldn't understand why my connection speeds had slowed down so drastically especially the international connections. It seems that TOT always screws up in conjunction to when I make a change in settings therefore I never know whether it was my settings change that caused the slowdown or malfunction or TOT themselves.

Pattayadavid

Well let's have an update on my problem.As I reported before,since 8 pm tuesday,my adsl connection disconnected every 4 minutes for about 2 minutes.Every 6 minutes I got a new ip address from tot.I reported it to the 1100 customer service at 2 am wednesday.However when I woke up an wednesday the problem was still excactly the same.At 1 pm I call again to 1100 and they tell me that there seems to be no problem with their line so it will be my modem.You have to know that I switched modem 3 times already during that time.At about 2.30 pm,I still get disconnected every 4 minutes,I remember that the day before in the morning a techinician from tot called my mobile to know if ny connection was ok :D .So i look up that number and call it.Again same s-hit about the modem.At that point I get realy upset and tell them that if the problem is fixed in the next 30 minutes I will be at the TOT office and it will not look nice when I arrive.Mysteriously my adsl hasn't disconnected once since that phone call.So who are they playing with the b*lls as they first can't fix a problem for 24 hours but when you get realy mad they can fix it within less then 4 minutes. :o

Thank God you got it fixed today.  With the Buddhist lint holiday beginning tomorrow, you probably wouldn't have been able to contact the TOT office until Monday.  This happened to me during Songkran this year; my ADSL service was out for over a week.

I have TOT 1MB/512K package which is costing me 2700B/month, I see from the maxnet link that for slightly cheaper I could be getting 4M/1M from them, anybody know what the service is like from Maxnet in terms of how frequently it drops out ?

Also does anybody know if I would have to have a new TOT telephone line or if they would be able to connect to my existing TOT line that I'm using currently with TOT ADSL ?

Monty sounds like your a bit of an expert on this am I correct in thinking that If TT&T don't have a DSLAM within 2Km of my home then download speeds of 4M would not be possible ?

Is it possible to find out from the web or TT&T office where their DSLAM's are located ?

Why does your TOT ADSL package cost 2,700 baht; do you have a business package?  I have TOT GoldCyber package (2 gigibyte download, 512k upload) and I only pay slightly over 1,000 baht.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad to see that someone else was having a problem with TOT yesterday and again this morning.  I thought it was just me because yesterday afternoon, I changed my connection IP Address to a static address to setup Port Fowarding for use with Utorrent.  I couldn't understand why my connection speeds had slowed down so drastically especially the international connections.  It seems that TOT always screws up in conjunction to when I make a change in settings therefore I never know whether it was my settings change that caused the slowdown or malfunction or TOT themselves.

Pattayadavid

I have the TOT goldcyber service too and the past few days the service has been horrible, off and on, off and on.

Yesterday morning there was no connection and after a few hours I did a "system restore" to an earlier to time in case a Windows update caused the problem. Immediately after the restore I got a connection.

This morning again no connection. I turned off the firewall on my McAfee Security Software and I got a connection. The firewall turned itself back on and I couldn't access anything. Turned it off and everything was fine again. Now it's turned itself on again and there's no problem.

Have no idea why, but especially at start up the firewall seems to be preventing a connection being established or maybe it's just an amazing coincidence in timing.

Why does your TOT ADSL package cost 2,700 baht; do you have a business package? I have TOT GoldCyber package (2 gigibyte download, 512k upload) and I only pay slightly over 1,000 baht.

Yes it's a business package but it still uses goldcyber as the username in my modem setup, so to be honest I don't really know what benefit I'm supposed to have with this business package as it's slower than your goldcyber account. Are you limited to a certain amiunt of downloaded data per month or something ?

BTW my TOT has been dropping in and out terribly over the last 2 or 3 days, usually only for a few mins to 10 mins but very annoying, be interesting to know if this has only been limited to TOT or if other companies have been dropping in and out which would suggest that there is a problem with CAT as I beleive all internet in Thailand eventually connects internationally via CAT.

• 2 weeks later...

Pattayadavid

Thank God you got it fixed today.  With the Buddhist lint holiday beginning tomorrow, you probably wouldn't have been able to contact the TOT office until Monday.  This happened to me during Songkran this year; my ADSL service was out for over a week.

I have TT&T 2 Gig and I pay 690 a month.

Barry

Pattayadavid

I have TT&T 2 Gig and I pay 690 a month.

Barry

If you are only paying 690 per month then you much be using TT&T's Indy package; good for local connections, but if you want better international speeds then you should opt for the Premier package.  The Indy package has 20 people sharing a server whereby the Premier package has half as many (10).

Why does your TOT ADSL package cost 2,700 baht; do you have a business package? I have TOT GoldCyber package (2 gigibyte download, 512k upload) and I only pay slightly over 1,000 baht.

Yes it's a business package but it still uses goldcyber as the username in my modem setup, so to be honest I don't really know what benefit I'm supposed to have with this business package as it's slower than your goldcyber account. Are you limited to a certain amiunt of downloaded data per month or something ?

BTW my TOT has been dropping in and out terribly over the last 2 or 3 days, usually only for a few mins to 10 mins but very annoying, be interesting to know if this has only been limited to TOT or if other companies have been dropping in and out which would suggest that there is a problem with CAT as I beleive all internet in Thailand eventually connects internationally via CAT.

I think that the primary advantage of the business package is that there are fewer connections sharing a server so you shouldn't experience as much of a slowdown or dropouts, but what you have written, it doesn't seem to be working very well for you.  Actually, my TOT ADSL has been working much better over the past few days.  I got great connection and download speeds this morning.  Yesterday morning was fairly good also, but after around 11:00 AM, there is a serious drop in speed and I begin to get internet dropouts.  Videos have been downloading over YouTube this past week, but sometimes they won't play, hangs up after a few seconds of playing although the bar at the bottom of the video window indicates that downloading is progressing.  Other times, videos play nicely as they are downloading; I really don't know why they play sometimes and at other times they do not.  Can anyone tell me if they experience the same symptoms viewing YouTube with other ISP's such as TT&T?

Pattayadavid

I think that the primary advantage of the business package is that there are fewer connections sharing a server so you shouldn't experience as much of a slowdown or dropouts, but what you have written, it doesn't seem to be working very well for you. Actually, my TOT ADSL has been working much better over the past few days. I got great connection and download speeds this morning. Yesterday morning was fairly good also, but after around 11:00 AM, there is a serious drop in speed and I begin to get internet dropouts. Videos have been downloading over YouTube this past week, but sometimes they won't play, hangs up after a few seconds of playing although the bar at the bottom of the video window indicates that downloading is progressing. Other times, videos play nicely as they are downloading; I really don't know why they play sometimes and at other times they do not. Can anyone tell me if they experience the same symptoms viewing YouTube with other ISP's such as TT&T?

Pattayadavid

I don't believe it !!! After months,someone sent me a news item with a link to Youtube .Oh ! I thought waste of time ,but to my surprise it worked.Went on to my account ,favourites worked,no problems.

Usually it allows me on to the site,one up from last year when it just said 'site unavailable',then after selecting a video,'sorry this video not available'.

Lets see what happens tomorrow !

Try it out (TOT user)