File Attachments

RDN

Okay Huski, l'll bite. I also see the File Attachments area that RDN refers to fairly often when l post.

If the Forum doesn't support it, then why does it show up? Is it just a coding problem or something else?

I just saw it again - in the VIP forum. So maybe it's only allowed there. Answers please, huski!

When I post a reply, why is it that sometimes I see a "File Attachments" area, after the "Post Icons" area at the bottom of the page and sometimes I don't? :o

With this post, I cannot see it.

RDN

I've tried using the "imageshack" hosting site you suggested, but must still be doing something wrong as when I tried using it my post showed up with a square and a little red x inside it. I'll try again on this post and see what happens.

beer_2_d.gif

Well "darn" if it didn't work that time. Guess I just didn't do it right the first time I tried it. Maybe hadn't drank enough of that beer?

smiley_thinking.gif

When I post a reply, why is it that sometimes I see a "File Attachments" area, after the "Post Icons" area at the bottom of the page and sometimes I don't? :o

With this post, I cannot see it.

So thanks RDN for the "tip" of the hosting site. Still have to wonder about the "file attachment" option of your original topic here (would be easier than having to first go to a "hosting site"). No real answers seem to be forthcoming.

So thanks RDN for the "tip" of the hosting site.  Still have to wonder about the "file attachment" option of your original topic here (would be easier than having to first go to a "hosting site").  No real answers seem to be forthcoming.

Like I said before, makes me feel like a mushroom (you know, kept in the dark, fed sh1t... :o ).

I think what I may try later, is to upload all my smilies and funny pictures into the "gallery" and see if I can reference them from there. They should be a bit quicker to load, and should not "disappear" if the hosting site is off-line.

OK, maybe I'm missing something here...but I noticed an attachment option and uploaded a pdf to the new 'commercial' section, worked fine. It said something like 'you now have X amount of attachment space remaining'. Quite efficient I thought.

Yes! I just attempted to start a new post (but didn't actually post it) and got the "File Attachment" option. So it must be allowed for that forum too.

But I noticed that I couldn't reply to any post in that forum - I only tried a couple - so it looks like there are quiet a few "flags" that can be set by the admins for each forum :o

OK, maybe I'm missing something here...but I noticed an attachment option and uploaded a pdf to the new 'commercial' section, worked fine. It said something like 'you now have X amount of attachment space remaining'. Quite efficient I thought.

Yes! I just attempted to start a new post (but didn't actually post it) and got the "File Attachment" option. So it must be allowed for that forum too.

But I noticed that I couldn't reply to any post in that forum - I only tried a couple - so it looks like there are quiet a few "flags" that can be set by the admins for each forum :o

Yes, in that forum, apparently we can't reply. That's at the discretion of the admins I suppose but I hardly sense a smoking gun here...(no conspiracy theories spring to mind;) I believe in the commercial forum, they've stated no replies will be posted (similar to the classifieds section). I see some common sense behind this as I've thought a time or two to add a comments section to my site but predictably it 'could' turn into a flame war between buyer/seller or end user/advertiser. In these situations, individuals are better to take disagreements etc offline, in a civilised manner imho, or report to an admin.

Obviously, for the sake of fairplay, if an admin on any board senses some unfairness, the perceived offending party may be cautioned or banned, depending on what's perceived best for the group. Anyone in that 'judgement' seat is subjective. I mean, put yourself there and see how you may react to a perceived pet peeve of one sort or another. Must be difficult to be 'absolutely' objective.

The advent of forums are great for expressing opinions on common subjects, seek help from others, exchanging ideas, or just plain having a bit of fun. But it's not so nice when one individual can seemingly hide behind an assumed 'unreal' identity and shred others who've worked hard and invested alot in a 'real' enterprise. I've seen this kind of unfair flame before and I feel for some hardworking people who get scorched by some anonymous keystroke. Or worse, by someone with an unstated agenda (self perceived competitor etc).

To conclude, most admins on any reasoned board tries their best to put 'soft' measures in place to make it a fair and free playground and we're all human. So, no conspiracy here I believe, just a bit o' common sense imho.