Solar Power

BOOKEMDANO

Hi.

A question to those of you who have, or have thought about buying solar panels.. In your opinion would you recommend this type of energy and believe this is beneficial :o

OR

Would you say its just not worth it, as it doesn't seem to be very popular with the locals ...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think electricity is too cheep compared to the whole set up of it including a Generator run buy Bio fuel just in case.. as I have looked in to in a lot. I don’t reamer the price but the solar panels where really expensive. But I didn’t do the maths for the long term, so it still might be worth it.

Its really not popular with Thailand at all, but it should be some day.

Photovoltaic panels are very unproductive in the rainy half of the year here in the North. To use them for a minimalist (lights, fan, refrigeration) domestic setup requires an inverter/charger as well as a huge set of deep cycle batteries. As already pointed out electricity is still priced way below it's value at the moment and cost-wise there is just no comparison - you could never recoup your capital costs with solar.

I think the solar water heaters are a good choice here however, and would be far easier to home brew a system.

Photovoltaic panels are very unproductive in the rainy half of the year here in the North. To use them for a minimalist (lights, fan, refrigeration) domestic setup requires an inverter/charger as well as a huge set of deep cycle batteries. As already pointed out electricity is still priced way below it's value at the moment and cost-wise there is just no comparison - you could never recoup your capital costs with solar.

I think the solar water heaters are a good choice here however, and would be far easier to home brew a system.

What about other parts of Thailand ? you think it would be the same in every province? Maybe down south with have more sunlight. I am interesting to get more down on paper as well. That’s a good idea just to boil hot water..

Don't believe the life of solar panels is very long for the money invested. Can't recall how many years they were good for, but it didn't seem like many at the time. Had solar hot water in Australia and it worked brillantly, still as good as new after 10 years of use. Had to replace one valve (leaky) after all that time.

I had a solar set-up in northern California between 16 and 20 years ago. It worked ok, but am hoping the panels and all will come down considerably in price.

I'm now in C.Rai with several properties and would sorely like to get set up with solar. As much as any other reason, I'd love to get off the electric grid. If anyone knows of low priced panels (from China?) or supporting equipment, let me know. Would also like a golf cart. Next best would be DC powered wheels. Does anyone know how to make a DC powered vehicle? I heard it can be sensibly done with a motor on each of the four wheels.

If interested in solar power in Chiang Mai I give a strong recommendation to paying a visit to K. Ad at EngineO. He holds a PhD in Electrical engineering and is very easy to work with. He and his wife are both smart, friendly and honest.

http://www.engineo.co.th/index%20Eng.html

Even if you don't do a whole house system, solar is making more sense for distant power apps due to the cost of copper and aluminum wire shooting up.

i've seen solar panels from china. all kinds of different sizes but they were at AMORN (OHS) in bangkok. Near Phahurat area. The Old Siam shopping center. Did not look at the prices though. The Amorn stores here in chiangmai at ICON plaza and Carrefour do not carry them.

a month or so ago amorn had a whole case of solar panels (45 watt) approx 3 feet x 3.5 ft. wanted 3500 each i think for them. was going to buy a few. not sure still there though you know how that store is...

Edited by INDI12

There is a new technology with solar panels, using another absorber material than silicone that is somewhat promising. forget the $/watt, but it is near 30% cheaper than the standard silicone cell technology and they are being manufactured in Malasia. I almost invested in that company, but found out that their production was limited because of the raw material they used [terellium?] was in short supply.

• 3 weeks later...
i've seen solar panels from china. all kinds of different sizes but they were at AMORN (OHS) in bangkok. Near Phahurat area. The Old Siam shopping center. Did not look at the prices though. The Amorn stores here in chiangmai at ICON plaza and Carrefour do not carry them.

I am from Singapore and looking for shop selling solar panel for my next visit to Chiangmai doing solar farm setup for the villagers.

So my next coming trip will be another 9 more months, any bros know any more of such shop selling these panel?

My last visit of setting up solar farm is not ideal. I brought a few pieces of solar panel and voltage regulator thinking I am able to buy Deep Cycle Batteries over there. But all of the Thais in Chiangmai does not even know where to buy solar product. It was a great disappointment for me and end up I got to buy CAR BATTERY as substitute.

Pls help...

Edited by snookium

3K corp. in Thailand makes a fairly economical equivalent version of the T105 6 volt golf cart battery that is suitable for deep cycle use and can be series/paralleled as needed for your application. Also you can check out the web site for Leonics corp. in Bangkok for other solar products.

I am from Singapore and looking for shop selling solar panel for my next visit to Chiangmai doing solar farm setup for the villagers.

So my next coming trip will be another 9 more months, any bros know any more of such shop selling these panel?

My last visit of setting up solar farm is not ideal. I brought a few pieces of solar panel and voltage regulator thinking I am able to buy Deep Cycle Batteries over there. But all of the Thais in Chiangmai does not even know where to buy solar product. It was a great disappointment for me and end up I got to buy CAR BATTERY as substitute.

Pls help...

http://www.engineo.co.th/index%20Eng.html

What's interesting about this thread is that people post on it but don't seem to read the posts of others.

Edited by lannarebirth

Actually the Amorn store in Chiangmai at ICON plaza doescarry a suitcase-enclosed solar panel system. Was looking at it last week. On the counter on your right as you enter the room extension with sound systems.

Actually the Amorn store in Chiangmai at ICON plaza does carry a suitcase-enclosed solar panel system. Was looking at it last week. On the counter on your right as you enter the room extension with sound systems.

• 1 year later...
For everything that may be coming in the future with regard to solar power:

http://www.nextenergynews.com/sections/next-solar-power.html

As ever, it's always a year or two away....

Well its two years now, what is happening??

nothing happened. although the price of generating energy by photovoltaic means has come down it is still an economic nonsense. but it really makes sense if electric energy is needed where grid supply is not available.

• 6 months later...

In reply to Coludhopper, that is where his head is, mouth in fast forward and brain in reverse, it annoys me to read comments like this when thay do not have a clue about what they are talking about what so ever,Photovoltic the 4th generation to day are now 96% efficent and they do not need sunlight what so ever they still produce a very high output even on the darkest of days as to day the only rely on UV and radiatoin rays from the day light, they do not require battries, charger.Solar is the only way to go.

are you serious or have I missed something?

In reply to Coludhopper, that is where his head is, mouth in fast forward and brain in reverse, it annoys me to read comments like this when thay do not have a clue about what they are talking about what so ever,Photovoltic the 4th generation to day are now 96% efficent and they do not need sunlight what so ever they still produce a very high output even on the darkest of days as to day the only rely on UV and radiatoin rays from the day light, they do not require battries, charger.Solar is the only way to go.

The Amorn shop in the BigC mall on Hang Dong Road had several different solar panels on display last time I was there.

I'm looking for a solar charger or windup charger for an ipad/ipod (so need a 5V USB supply)

Looked in the usual places in CM, surprised that nothing really being sold, all these devices are sourced in China ..... it's not that far!

Edited by sarahsbloke

For everything that may be coming in the future with regard to solar power:

http://www.nextenerg...olar-power.html

As ever, it's always a year or two away....

Well its two years now, what is happening??

Advancements in the technology have been made with the photovoltaic cell making solar panels a little more efficient. Maybe you could contact http://www.smsolar.n...r_products.html here in Thailand to get more information.

Edited by ThaiWx

youd have to run atleast a 400-600 watt system to run a TV at the very least, if you have a washing machine and even a drier, better get a 2000 watt system...god forbid if you want ac, these 3 appliances are the main consumers.

a 45 watt system is good for nothing more than powering lights and maybe a laptop and fan.

the typical high power panel comes in at around 220 watts, so for a 2000 watt system witha steady output youd want to get 10.

in the US these go for $500 each from retail installers, or you can get them for $300 each from places like costco.

so your looking at $3000-$5000 baht just for the panels not including dc to ac invertors, battery bank and wiring.

How long will it take you to recover 100,000-150,000 baht in electric bills ?

• 3 weeks later...