Border Run Trat?

sweetchariot

Hi folks,

I need to do a border run tomorrow on my non-o visa from Pattaya, and was planning to drive to Ban Laem, and then down to Koh Chang for 3 or 4 nights holiday.

It occurred to me that I would be better off crossing the border near Trat, but have not heard of anyone doing this, so wondered if anyone could offer some advice.

Thanks.

The Hat Lek border is very quiet. Easy drive from Trat, if you have a bit of time get off the main rod and follow the small roads along the beachfront. Very nice drive.

No queues, no hassles at the border. The longest I have spent in Cambodia is about 10 minutes from the time I got stamped out of Thailand to being stamped back in again. This includes getting a Cambo visa.

But expect to pay 1100 baht for the visa and you might be asked for 300 baht if you are returning immediately to Thailand without wanting to say longer than you have to in Cambodia. Last two times I haven't been asked for anything. Up to you if you decide to haggle, argue or just pay up and go.

There are a handful of guys hopefully trying to sell you ciggies and a few street kids - but it isnt a slum like Poipet. On the Thai side of the border is small market.Nothing wildly exciting to buy unless you need Chinese sunglasses & power tools, bags of Taiwanese dried fruit or bars of cheap Indonesian chocoloate for your inlaws.

Thanks Changian, I have saved your post for the next time I have to go. I actually went up to Ban Laem as nobody responded, and was surprised just how much of a round trip from Chantaburi it actually is!

Had a great few days in Koh Chang, sadly cut short due to the holidays, but will definitely be going back.

Just keep an eye on the messages about borderclosing between Thailand and Cambodia due to the tempel dispute, things are a bit `uneasy` now, donot know if that will go al the way down to Hat Lek.