Identifying A Location For Retirement Residence.

onlyme

Hi All,

This is my first post in this section. I've been reading previous Eastern Thailand Forum posts for quite a while now and haven't been able to adequately determine the answers to the following.

1) As a married (non-Thai wife) U.S. retiree, which locations along the coast between Sattahip and the Cambodian border should I consider the better choices for condo or home rental in conjunction with an active, retired lifestyle. That's "better" in terms of access to services, shopping, restaurants, communications (Internet), beaches, reasonably-priced housing and the potential for social interaction with "English-speaking" expats.

2) After extensive searches both within TV and via Google I find very few ads for condo/house rental services or listings, in general, for the areas mentioned in #1. I've found Rayongproperties dot com, but their inventory is pretty small and not far reaching. Are there any other sources that members living in the areas mentioned can provide as resources that can assist in the search?

3) My wife and I expect to come for another visit in a couple of months to investigate the area. What would you suggest as a good base of operations from which to conduct the search? For example, if we stayed in Ban Chang or Rayong could we easily do day trips via motor bike to the various towns. Or should we plan on staying somewhere halfway between Sattahip and Trat?

4) Lastly, which mid-range hotels would you recommend for a visit as described in #3? We're not back-packers, but are also not looking for upscale resort accommodations.

- - -

My wife and I have visited Thailand five times in the past six years and have stayed in Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya during those visits. The Pattaya visit was a three-month trial run of sorts at a residence hotel. It provided a basis for determining that the coastal area identified in #1 is where we should focus our efforts and attention rather than up north or down south. We did day trips to the islands from Pattaya, but never spent much time in any of the coastal towns though. If any of the expat residents of any of the coastal towns would like to convey personal preferences, experiences, recommendations or other feedback via PM, please don't hesitate to do so. It's sometimes much more productive an approach than public postings since there are always a few lurkers who will take any opportunity to incite rather than enlighten. :o

Edited by onlyme

Take a look a the Chanthaburi area. Major hospital's, shopping, beach's. About 3hours from bangkok. This is not a large expat area, but then again the area is much cheaper than the tourist areas or the areas with a high expat population.

I would say a stay in the Banchang area is in order.

We are buying a plot in a project near the beach at Phala and are currently living here in a rental. We like the peace and quiet and less traffic. After living in Pattaya for almost 3 years this place is quite enjoyable.

All of the shopping and other western services are close if we need them.

I think anything west of here is not for us really. All the area west of Utapao to Sattahip is Thai Navy country. Not much in the way of development except commercial for the Navy or the port. There are a few scattered beaches one can enjoy that way.

On the east side of Utapao is Phala, Payoon and Rimnam beaches before you get to Maptaphut .

This area was experiencing a boom back in the early 90's before the crash. You can still see the old shells of the early development that was abandoned. Now the economy is booming again and you can see signs that it is growing again.

There are a few condos that are doing well I think. A person needs to drive around and look. You will see them as they all stick out.

Day trips by motorbike are feasable if you stay in Banchang area. At least trips in this immediate area. The limit would be to Rayong east and Sattahip west.

East of Rayong is not an area I know much about. Ban Phe and east has some nice beaches but not much in the way of services for westerners. There are some nice beaches especially Mae Phim,,,,,,,what Pattaya was 40 years ago. Some resorts and bungalows for rent.

Hope I helped a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All, This is my first post in this section. I've been reading previous Eastern Thailand Forum posts for quite a while now and haven't been able to adequately determine the answers to the following. 1) As a married (non-Thai wife) U.S. retiree, which locations along the coast between Sattahip and the Cambodian border should I consider the better choices for condo or home rental in conjunction with an active, retired lifestyle. That's "better" in terms of access to services, shopping, restaurants, communications (Internet), beaches, reasonably-priced housing and the potential for social interaction with "English-speaking" expats. 2) After extensive searches both within TV and via Google I find very few ads for condo/house rental services or listings, in general, for the areas mentioned in #1. I've found Rayongproperties dot com, but their inventory is pretty small and not far reaching. Are there any other sources that members living in the areas mentioned can provide as resources that can assist in the search? 3) My wife and I expect to come for another visit in a couple of months to investigate the area. What would you suggest as a good base of operations from which to conduct the search? For example, if we stayed in Ban Chang or Rayong could we easily do day trips via motor bike to the various towns. Or should we plan on staying somewhere halfway between Sattahip and Trat? 4) Lastly, which mid-range hotels would you recommend for a visit as described in #3? We're not back-packers, but are also not looking for upscale resort accommodations.

- - -

My wife and I have visited Thailand five times in the past six years and have stayed in Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya during those visits. The Pattaya visit was a three-month trial run of sorts at a residence hotel. It provided a basis for determining that the coastal area identified in #1 is where we should focus our efforts and attention rather than up north or down south. We did day trips to the islands from Pattaya, but never spent much time in any of the coastal towns though. If any of the expat residents of any of the coastal towns would like to convey personal preferences, experiences, recommendations or other feedback via PM, please don't hesitate to do so. It's sometimes much more productive an approach than public postings since there are always a few lurkers who will take any opportunity to incite rather than enlighten. :o

I would recommend the tawan inn on soi tawan in ban phe. Food is good and only 10 min drive to rayong. Also plenty of falang expats including American to give you low down on area.

• 1 month later...

Have lived in Rayong city for over 2 years now, but have only just subscribed to TV forum. Rayong city and province is still typically unspoilt Thai unlike the tourist hotspots such as Pattaya.

My house is situated just off the Sukhumvit in what is IMHO the best 'village' in Rayong, we've got several expat retirees living here and many others lurking in and around town. I have made many new expat and Thai friends so never short of conversation, etc. I seem to be 10 minutes from everywhere - beaches, fishing port, wide choice of eateries, bars, clubs, superstores, shopping malls, markets, bus stations, cinema, hospitals, golf courses, hotels, etc but where I live is quiet and 'nicely' retiring. Ban Chang and Ban Phe (for Ko Samet) 20 minutes, Pattaya 40 minutes, Bangkok BKK 90 minutes.

Lots to explore in the area. Recommended and centrally situated hotels are The President at 600 baht, Star from 800 baht per night for double room including breakfast. Staying longer term you can negotiate cheaper prices or rent an apartment/ condo.

Real estate prices are still cheap but rising rapidly with the expansion of major industrial zones like Maptaphut (twixt Rayong/Ban Chang) and Pluak Daeng.

Feel free to contact me for further information.

I am currently in Sakon Nakhon and am contemplating a move to the Rayong area. Being disabled really need a bungalow, with big garden for my 2 cockers and 2/3 bedrooms would be ideal. Any suggestions? We are going to have a 5 day trip there in November to suss out the situation :o