Cheese Prices In Thailand

Can anybody explain the sudden hike in cheese prices throughout Thailand. And I mean hike;

NZ Cheddar..before 630 now 1,400

Whole Gouder...before 2,380 now 4,800

Danish blue..before 85 each now 165

Danish Brie & Camenbert ..before 145 now 265

And it's not only imported

Thai proccessed cheddar..before 450 now 980

Is there a sudden " Cheese Tax" ?

I think you have the wrong supplier.

As I am involved in this trade I see that a few suppliers are taking advantage of the current situation.

Many imported and local food products are getting more expensive, but not that much.

Gerd

I buy most of my cheeses from Belucky, but the biggest increase, NZ Cheddar is in fact Makro. Makro do an Australian Cheddar for around 1,000 and they also do a fairly tasteless ARO Cheddar for around 600 baht.

As I am involved in this trade I see that a few suppliers are taking advantage of the current situation.

Many imported and local food products are getting more expensive, but not that much.

Gerd

I noticed a while ago that my favorite Cheddar (small package) doubled price in the supermarkets.

The other cheeses also went up.

I don't know the real european cheese as it was always so expensive that I feel rip off and didn't buy them.

Joe public ( of all nationalities ) are being exploited big time here in Thailand, not only food related either.

Tesco Lotus seem to be a really big offender ( make that are ) on this and many customers i talk to feel the same.

Even the local markets are at it and putting stuff up on a regualr basis, and not just by the odd baht iether.

I feel very sorry for the genuine poor who are effected once again and cannot afford their usual basic needs.

The cheese situuation is possibly due to it being a non Thai consumer product in general. as i view the situation and without being racial.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Gerd

I buy most of my cheeses from Belucky, but the biggest increase, NZ Cheddar is in fact Makro. Makro do an Australian Cheddar for around 1,000 and they also do a fairly tasteless ARO Cheddar for around 600 baht.

Do you have a Northern Farm up there?

I buy Anchor off the block for about 400B a kg. Parmesan is dearer but they'll cut you as much or as little as you want. Excellent beef hamburgers frozen in packs of 5 for 65B as well.

Joe public ( of all nationalities ) are being exploited big time here in Thailand, not only food related either.

Tesco Lotus seem to be a really big offender ( make that are ) on this and many customers i talk to feel the same.

Even the local markets are at it and putting stuff up on a regualr basis, and not just by the odd baht iether.

I feel very sorry for the genuine poor who are effected once again and cannot afford their usual basic needs.

The cheese situuation is possibly due to it being a non Thai consumer product in general. as i view the situation and without being racial.

marshbags :o

I am not so sure. I think it's the trend on the whole. Don't forget rice has also doubled.

cheese on Koh P doubled about 6 months ago, so I guess count yourself lucky you only got hit with it now :o

We buy our cheese from don's foods (CR forum sponsor) --he has a branch in Samui, the price is reasonable and the cheese pretty good. Mild cheddar, not sharp, but better than nothing.

Dairy products have increased in price worldwide. A friend in New Zealand says it is becoming so expensive there that he now buys very little.

Why should Thailand be different.

And of course the global oil price would have some effect as well.............

From what I have seen in the supermarkets, Thailand has a pretty vibrant dairy (milk) industry.

Now if we can only find someone locally who knows how to make good cheese.

Hopefully its not the same person in charge of making the local wine though.

NZ Cheddar..before 630 now 1,400

Is now back down....... the 2kg block is now 680, so 50baht incress..

Butter, Milk and Yogurt all have come down over the past month

Where do you buy your butter, I have not noticed and price decreases?

Makro have 5 kg butter for 550 baht (you can share with some friend). Del Casaro, an italian brand from Hua Hin sell italian style dairy products for very cheap prices (mozzarella for pizza 270 Baht/kg, cheddar, real fresh mozzarella, mascarpone, feta, cream, spreadable cheeese, etc) and very good quality.

From what I have seen in the supermarkets, Thailand has a pretty vibrant dairy (milk) industry.

I'm very happy with "Caroline"-brand local Feta, cheddar, etc...much cheaper and quite decent!

I'm very happy with "Caroline"-brand local Feta, cheddar, etc...much cheaper and quite decent!

Last night I bought some of the Thai cheese which is now on the on the market for 95 Baht. It's very good.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me how to order from the cheese place in Hua Hin. I have tried e mailing but got no reply and the website isn't that helpful. Maybe you can only buy from shops but it gives the impression that establishments can order.

• 3 weeks later...
i have to agree Caroline is the best value for the money here and also carries a few difficult products of good quality such as Monterrey Jack, heavy whipping cream or sour cream

I am a recent resident in Chiang Mai. Can you please tell me where I can buy these cheeses? I can't recall seeing them in Tops, but perhaps I just missed them? I really miss my cheese and have only seen Philly as something recognisable!

Don's Foods of Phuket, Samui and Chiang Rai. Factory at Bangkok.

Parmesan Half Wheel (Aust) 2 kg 645

Fine Powder Parmesan (Aust) 1 kg 670

Mozzarella Block 500gr 165

Cheddar (Australian) 500gr 210

Sliced Cheddar (Australian) 26pcs 200

Sour Cream (3 kg Containers) 500gr 200

Gouda Cheese (Holland) 1kg 595

Edam Cheese (Holland) 500gr 595

i have to agree Caroline is the best value for the money here and also carries a few difficult products of good quality such as Monterrey Jack, heavy whipping cream or sour cream

I am a recent resident in Chiang Mai. Can you please tell me where I can buy these cheeses? I can't recall seeing them in Tops, but perhaps I just missed them? I really miss my cheese and have only seen Philly as something recognisable!

There must be Bakery Suppliers, or a few of them up there.

Cheapest place for Cheese - Cheddar [2kg block] Edam [2kg block] Butter [2kg block]

As well as the only place I have found Raisins, Sultanas, mixed peel, Cooking Choc, Marzipan again all in 2kg packs..

+ many bakery items, glass ware, alum foil plates/dishes, all types of cake and bread baking tins, cake containers/cake boxes, the list is endless + a lot cheaper than a local supermarket on item supermarkets stock.

How about Smoked dry cure Canadian Ham, Paris sliced off the bone ham, Salami, again all in large 2kg packs, but around 200 baht per kg

Myself live out in the sticks 50km from BKK and there are 3 I use, on the way to BKK…. All 3 in their windows have different sized mixer, the smallest being a BIG home use, to a bake house type.

Edited by ignis

• 8 months later...

What about HomeMade-Cheese Co. ?

they make good products and i understand they are working with 5* hotels and bakeries as suppliers.

they also sell retail and do delivery. I think their price is quite good and the product is made in Bangkok by FARANG'S...

Just give it a try, i know it is much much better quality then the proccesed CAROLINE sh*#t.

www.homemade-cheese.com

Attached is their price and product list...

price_list_ren.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised at run of the mill British Cheddar costing 300bht in Tescos in Thailand when it costs 2gbp (100bht at the time) in England.

Whereas a tin of Thai sourced tuna costs the same in Tescos in England as it does in Thailand 35 bht or 70pence.

Surely shipping costs are the same.

Edited by sanmiguellight

• 6 months later...

Look at Siam Milk. They are in chonburi and sale Tilsiter and Gouda 1kg-Rounds for 345,-/365,- Baht. Also they sale 100g packs for 99,- Baht.

Last week a meet the owner in Pattaya (Carrefour) and it can be that they have in some weeks a small stand inside Carrefour for try the cheese. I like the taste of both, but let it stay some weeks more in the fridge.

Edited by snowgard