Cheese Prices In Thailand

I think you have the wrong supplier.

As I am involved in this trade I see that a few suppliers are taking advantage of the current situation.

Many imported and local food products are getting more expensive, but not that much.

Gerd

I noticed a while ago that my favorite Cheddar (small package) doubled price in the supermarkets.

The other cheeses also went up.

I don't know the real european cheese as it was always so expensive that I feel rip off and didn't buy them.

Dont know why the large hike in imported cheese,but it was always 40-50% dearer than prices in the UK,which I always thought was due to imported tax prices,these new prices are making it a need to boycott at these astronomical prices,for what is a basic food.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

I've just been to TOPS in Chiang Mai to buy some cheese. It's now a "luxury"! The price for my BEGA (good OZ cheese) works out at about 4 times the price of the same product in Melbourne! 

Can anyone explain why? All the retailers here seem to offer similar prices. Is it price-fixing collusion or import duties? I would just love to know!

• Like 1

That and it's a highly perishable item with difficult transport and storage requirements and they may only sell a small portion of what they bring in due to spoilage and low demand. They probably aren't making much money off supplying you that cheese.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:30 PM, Sam Lin said:

That and it's a highly perishable item with difficult transport and storage requirements and they may only sell a small portion of what they bring in due to spoilage and low demand. They probably aren't making much money off supplying you that cheese.

If the above is correct then why is cheese in Penang Malaysia so much cheaper?

Pilgrim Mature cheddar 350 gram packet 10 ringgit equals  75 Baht.

Happy Cow cheese spread (the wife likes it) 180 grams 7 ringgit 53 Baht

Castello Brie 200 grams 8 ringgit 60 Baht

Prices as of last month