Any Regrets Moving To Isaan ?

Doctor John

Hi guys, I will be building a house in Isaan, for you guys that live there, do you have any regrets about moving up country?

I will be near Phu kradung, in Loei. It is a lovely area, cool in the winter, cold evenings in fact. I do have a Pick up, so I will not be stuck in a village, 2 Hours from Khon kaen taking an easy drive, probably the same to Udon.

I lived in Pattaya for a long time, then I was working away in another country, went back to Pattaya and thought " what a shithole ", so I went up country, and I must say it looks a very attractive place to make a home, I have already bought some land and I will be making a house.

I think I will still keep my place ( rental ) in Pattaya as well, just in case I do need to get away at times, plus I have friends there.

I would Imagine there are many Farangs that moved up country from the main tourist areas, any regrets chaps? Ever wish you had not moved?

I really do think I will like it, but as many guys here have lived up country for a period of time, I would like to get some feedback on other peoples views.

Cheers. :o

No regrets. But then again, it's Adapt or Die. It took some getting used to at first. But now I'm settled in and starting to learn Thai. It is not as easy as in places like Pattaya or Phuket or Bangkok where you can get along with English just fine. You try walking into a restaurant and ordering a grilled cheese & ham sandwich. You can get anything from fried chicken to a plate of boiled rice. It's so much fun :D

The people are friendly and for the most part really helpfull. One thing that I noticed is that the other farangs living in these parts are kind of introvert. They would perhaps smile at you but are not inclined to get into a conversation. I can understand that perhaps they moved to Isaan to get away from all those farang tourists :o

Come join the fun on the farm - you'll like it too.

I agree that it is all about adapting and learning Thai. If you don't you will miss out on many things. I learn from my numerous nieces and nephews (of all ages) and think kids make great teachers!!

I live near Korat and have a lovely house, a beautiful wife and a baby due in a few weeks.

My wife comes from a large family so I have many in-laws to keep me company.

I am lucky enough to have an Aussie who regularly visits his girlfiend on the other side of the village....so plenty of scope for Beer Chang. :o

I stll have to go back to the UK on a regular basis and live in central London so my village life in Issan could not be a bigger contrast :D

To answer your original question absolutely no regrets whatsoever :D

Derek,

Hi my wife and I will be moving back to Thailand in the spring, we have decided to either live korat, kk, or udon. My wifes family lives in a small village between Bua Yai and Chaiyaphum and we have been offered land there, but thought being closer to Korat would be better.

Other than coming to Korat and going to the banks for repo properties any suggestions on buying a house that is already built.

thanks

Derek,

Hi my wife and I will be moving back to Thailand in the spring, we have decided to either live korat, kk, or udon.  My wifes family lives in a small village between Bua Yai and Chaiyaphum and we have been offered land there, but thought being closer to Korat would be better. 

Other than coming to Korat and going to the banks for repo properties any suggestions on buying a house that is already built.

thanks

Hi Bud

I took the land and built in my wife's village. Also a small village and that's what I like. :o

40 minutes from Korat so not too far.

Apart from the bank you could try the Court in Korat. They handle sales of property where the deeds have been used as security.

We purchased 33 rai of farm land that way and it was a very easy process and a very good price.

Best of luck and stay in touch when you get here :D

Derek,

Hi my wife and I will be moving back to Thailand in the spring, we have decided to either live korat, kk, or udon.  My wifes family lives in a small village between Bua Yai and Chaiyaphum and we have been offered land there, but thought being closer to Korat would be better. 

thanks

Hi Bud

I took the land and built in my wife's village. Also a small village and that's what I like. :o

40 minutes from Korat so not too far.

Apart from the bank you could try the Court in Korat. They handle sales of property where the deeds have been used as security.

We purchased 33 rai of farm land that way and it was a very easy process and a very good price.

Best of luck and stay in touch when you get here :D

Thanks Derek will do

Is there any web site other than thekoratpost to get info on korat.

We are familar with khonkaen.com and udonmap.com.

There is a swiss expat that lives a little ways from my wifes village, he lives close to one of her brothers, but haven't been able to get in touch with him. he seems to be the only expat in the area.

gone fishin for a couple of days

Bud and Bung.

Thanks Derek will do

Is there any web site other than thekoratpost to get info on korat.

We are familar with khonkaen.com and udonmap.com.

There is a swiss expat that lives a little ways from my wifes village, he lives close to one of her brothers, but haven't been able to get in touch with him.  he seems to be the only expat in the area.

gone fishin for a couple of days

Bud and Bung.

try a PM to Dutch, he has a mansion in Korat and is very familiar with the area, even Jayenram would be helpfull he has lived close for quite a few years.

Good Day all Korat Farangs and Budsc

I am also in Korat, in fact I think Im only about 10-15k away from where budsc wife comes from, and sounds like building a house.

Our new house was started last week, being built by my GF uncle who is the Kanman? of Amphoe Khong. The house is due to be finished by Songkran 05 and I have full confidence in the building crew. I was shown some houses bulit by his company and I must say, I was impressed with the finishings.

The house is in Moo Baan Taj Chun (spelling ?) this is just about 10k north on the A2 from Baan Talad Kae (at the traffic lights, for the turning right to Phai Mai).

I am there from the 20th of Nov for a week, and will be in and out of Korat Town quite alot so if any TV bods want to meet for a beer PM me, would love to meet for a social yak.

Are any of you going to Phi Mai on the eve of the 26th, for Loy Kratong ? its supossed to be a good evening out with the boat races etc, again PM me and Im sure a beer would be in order.

I will post photos of land and house development in the photo section as soon as I get home, complete with details.

Great to know some bods are in and around Korat for those social gatherings.

Any one know MARTIN and THONG (thaihomestay.co.uk) been to see them a few times just to see a White face.

Cheers, hope to catch you later somewhere in Korat.

Richard

(Brit, Still under 50 years old, but only just)

I can't make up my mind to choose between Nonthaburi and Khorat when I rtn.

Can anyone in the Khorat area tell me about the Siri Hotel and Pimai Hotel?

They look like good, inexpensive, bases to find a 2 B/R house to rent.

I've googled them but cannot find any pix of those 2 hotels

udon

udon

I live about 80 Km northwest of Kolat. More specifically, Ban Taco, Amphur Khong. I travel in to Kolat on a regular basis and a great meeting place is the Pasinee Restaurant (next to the Pizza shop). A few like the Pizza shop, but for me the Pasinee is better. The VFW (American Veteran's of Foreign Wars) holds there meeting there and other functions. Lots of Farong of all Nationalities.

The Siri Hotel is/was not nice. Right now it is under construction anyway, so I wouldn't even think about that place. Don't the the Pimai. Cheap hotel would be Tokyo 2. Stayed there once and was "ok". 400 per night. Kolat Hotel looks "ok" for 450 per night, but never stayed there. Lots of places to stay in Kolat, some roach traps and some very nice but expensive 1500 Baht hotels.

Issan is a great place to live, dont expect Pattaya nightlife, there are a selection of expat bars in Udon Thani and Khon Kaen (which is growing at an enormous rate)

I have built a house about 40 km south of Nongbua Lamphu, although have been visiting the area for over 10 years. There are Westerners here, most are not here full time but they are friendly and drop in from time to time for a beer or two. Khon Kaen is 80 km away and takes an hour to get there, mostly minor roads but good. I seem to be well accepted in the area and my wife's family are fantastic, never ever been hands out for money, often the other way around. You do need a hobby or a past time other than drinking if you intend to settle, life can be very quiet especially in the evening. There is an Expat Association that meets in Khon Kaen once a month and plenty of help and practical advice can be got there.

Hope this is a little insight into Issan. Cheers.

Dr John, good thread, thank you.:o

-------------------------------------

Ken,

thanks for the heads-up. anything clean and has aircon in the 300-450b area would be appreciated.

It could take a while to find a good house rental.

Listings only seem to concentrate on the 1000b+ range.

cheers,

udon :D

udon

Some more info:

Sri Pattana

346 Suranari Rd. [180 rooms: 450 - 1200 Baht]

Phone: 044 - 251 652 ~ 4

A number of my friends have stayed here at the 450 or less price (included breakfast). Said it is an "ok" hotel. Located very close to the Pasinee Restaurant I previously mentioned (with walking distance).

K.S. Pavillion

245 Mittraphap Rd. [59 rooms: 600 - 2000 Baht]

Phone: 044 - 261 943 ~ 5, 044 - 263 039

I've stayed here at the 600 Baht rate. Nice "cheap" hotel located on the "main drag" in Korat. Included buffet breakfast (but breakfast was no big deal in my opinion).

Also I have a best friend (British), who bought a house in Korat in a housing development behind "Macro". There are a lot of "big" houses for rent in this development. He said there is one for rent near his house, I think the going rate was 4000-5000 Baht per month. Nice area.

I second the K.S. Pavilion as a nice place to stay. Not a lot of english speaking staff, but very helpful people. I had a suite for 1050bt a night, and the extra room would be nice for a possibly extended stay while house hunting.

Our house is south of Korat about 13 kilometers on A2, in the Land and House development. Nice area, and can't get too developed due to the nearby Army and Air Force bases. Not a lot of farangs at all. The air is clean, but the water isn't potable. So we all drink bottled water from our water coolers, and get refilled bottles from the truck that comes round every afternoon. 25 baht.

The clubhouse has a pool and restaurant. The restaurant is under new ownership since I was there, and the menus are being translated into English as well as Thai. I was forced to learn quite a bit of Thai just to get what I wanted to eat...

I recommend that you take the time to learn Thai.  You will enjoy the experience of living here 1000% more.

Nothing worse than having to rely on the wife to do everything and will encourage you to feel as though you are belonging instead of visiting.

Totally true , and I don't even live there yet!

After 7 years plus marriage , In can't imagine not being able to converse with my better half in kind. On my many visits/stays in Ban Nok I love to sit and eavesdrop the chats between in-laws whilst I sit and sup Lao Khao as you do.

:o

I have lived in Surin (3 km from town) for over 5 years and no regrets.

It was difficult at first as my Thai was almost non-existant (not much better now). Regular ventures outside the area generally consist of shopping trips to Khorat, Bangkok or Pattaya, however these are becoming less frequent as the local superstores (Makro, Tesco Lotus and soon to open Big C) are stocking a wider variety of foreign foods.

I would reckon that the cost of living here is around 60% of that in Bangkok or Pattaya obviously depending upon your life style.

I personnally recommend building a house on land outside of the wife's/gf's village if it is affordable. Unfortunately, some marriages do break up and it is virtually impossible for the farang to remain in the village built house afterwards.

• 4 weeks later...

udon

Actually the Royal Princess in Korat pound for pound (or ฿ for ฿) is one of the best hotels I have ever visisted.I have been to plenty more expensive and elegant but for real value it is great. Fantastic buffet in the evenings and great breakfast to match.

udon

Actually the Royal Princess in Korat pound for pound (or ฿ for ฿) is one of the best hotels I have ever visisted.I have been to plenty more expensive and elegant but for real value it is great. Fantastic buffet in the evenings and great breakfast to match.

I have to agree with you lampard about the Royal Princess , very nice place .

Expect to pay about 1650 baht a night . The problems with the RP is that you are away from everything and you cant walk anywhere . Good to use it as a base for the first night and look around " downtown " I think the OP was looking for something a little less pricey . I saw some nice looking hotels there but never checked inside . We will stay at the one that someone supplied a link to in this forum , I forget the name ( will check back later ) for a few days in January until the house is finished .

Hi everone

I to will be a new Isarn resident next year and will start to build a house in Ubon Ratchatani in March. :o

I have been married to wonderful Thai woman for 33 years most of which was spent in Australia and now we are in a position to spend some quality time in retirement there. We have been back and forth to Thailand over the last 6 years and are always drawn back to Isarn. :D

Anyway would love to get some feedback on Ubon,like is there an expat association and meeting place, are there good english speaking doctors around town, where to get the best deals on building materials, how dificult is it to get the phone and town water connected etc.

This is my first posting and I might sound a little green but I do have good understanding of the Thai physcy and language.

Awaiting your informed replys

Thanks guys

Hello Farfalung ,

Welcome , try doing a search on Udon on this site . Or try reading the posts in this Isaan forum . You will find alot of good information here . Or you could try starting a new thread " Udon questions " Sorry I can't help . Im in Korat and am still learning about this place :o

Edited by Jeff1

Hello Farfalung ,

Welcome , try doing a search on Udon on this site . Or try reading the posts in this Isaan forum . You will find alot of good information here . Or you could try starting a new thread " Udon questions " Sorry I can't help . Im in Korat and am still learning about this place  :o

you would still have a lot to do looking up Udon. The guys moving to Ubon about 500kms from Udon

Hello Farfalung ,

Welcome , try doing a search on Udon on this site . Or try reading the posts in this Isaan forum . You will find alot of good information here . Or you could try starting a new thread " Udon questions " Sorry I can't help . Im in Korat and am still learning about this place  :o

you would still have a lot to do looking up Udon. The guys moving to Ubon about 500kms from Udon

My mistake , I got my b backwards

Thanks to all who found the time to reply and even those who got their B ,s in a knot but yes I am setting up in Ubon Ratchatani as against Udon Thani B,s heaps better than D.

Anyway enough of this nonsense I,m still hanging out for info, contacts etc as explained in original posting on UBON.

Great forum really enjoy reading this stuff

bye

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to all who found the time to reply and even those who got their B ,s in a knot  but yes I am setting up in Ubon Ratchatani as against Udon Thani      B,s heaps better than D.

Anyway enough of this nonsense I,m still hanging out for info, contacts etc as explained in original posting on UBON.

Great forum really enjoy reading this stuff

bye

Hi Farfarfalung

Im living in Ubon now 7yrs and you could not picked up nicer place to live if you looking for peace and no bar's and no one speak's english.

We have lot of foreigner's in here but as i have been trying to get people together so far all of foreigner's are living out of town and bit hard to get some kind of meeting but im still working on it, you can mail me and if you are here lets have coffee some day.

You can also try to check if im in my shop in SK Shopping park by the clock tower in Ubon town, NEO is my shop(Thais call it as 50,60&70thb, shop)

mail or PM me.

[email protected]

also for other foreigner in Ubon already, in SK there is Nice movie theather, in the 3rd floor but DONT go yeat even it's open, they havent adjust the projector and picture is terrible blure,, was there yeasterday.

See you Ubon guys\girls and let's try to get together some day

-Marco-

• 2 weeks later...
I have built a house about 40 km south of Nongbua Lamphu, although have been visiting the area for over 10 years. There are Westerners here, most are not here full time but they are friendly and drop in from time to time for a beer or two. Khon Kaen is 80 km away and takes an hour to get there, mostly minor roads but good. I seem to be well accepted in the area and my wife's family are fantastic, never ever been hands out for money, often the other way around. You do need a hobby or a past time other than drinking if you intend to settle, life can be very quiet especially in the evening. There is an Expat Association that meets in Khon Kaen once a month and plenty of help and practical advice can be got there.

This is good information for me... I currently live in Santa Barbara, California. I'm 56 and plan to retire partially toward the end of the decade in the Issan, in my wife's village where we have some rice land and one full house and one shell. It is a small village not far from Nong Bua Lampu... Full retirement is planned for sometime around 2014... Anyway, more and more of my thoughts are now going to imagining what it is going to be like living in the Issan, speaking very little Thai at first and kind of expecting to be expected to look after everyone financially (which we already do, to a good degree, but whenever my wife is back home, she always says it is worse. I always thought it would be cheaper for her to vacation with her parents and family, but it's always more expensive -- not even counting the flight)... Any tips or observations from any of you would be appreciated... m :o