Any Regrets Moving To Isaan ?

Doctor John

Must say do like living here just outside Korat.In the countryside but civilisation is not to far away if i feel like a pizza or two.

What sort of things do you do to keep busy?

I'm retiring at the end of March after a 32 year Federal career and will move to Korat in April.

I'm pretty good at goofing off (32 year Federal career :o ) but kind of wonder how other folks handle it.

Ah...federal service...you got me beat, I only got 20 years of goofing off practice from the Navy. As was mention earlier, having a hobby to keep you busy is a big help. I have my telescopes and my ham radio to keep me busy when I'm not being a full time dad (late bloomer) while in country. We live half way between Udorn and Nong Khai about 8 km off of Rt 2 out in the rice paddies.

I also have a slight advantage as I grew up on a farm in Oklahoma where our closest neighbor was a mile in either direction. I like my leg room. :o

Eric

Ah...federal service...you got me beat, I only got 20 years of goofing off practice from the Navy.  As was mention earlier, having a hobby to keep you busy is a big help. 

I have a taste of both--21 years in the Air Force and for the last five years I've been working as a civilian contractor with Army civilians!! I've got goofing off down to an artform (like posting to this forum from work)! :o:D

I'm going to be living about an hour's drive outside of Korat (near Pakchong). My avatar should be a good clue what I'll be doing with a lot of my free time!.

Now want to know bad side of Isaan too. Nobody talks about the hot weather there. How is the weather in summer ? I'm a bangkokian but living in Europe, dont like the heat in April in Thailand, trying to avoid not to come during this time. But last year I was in Bkk that time, and it was so hot that I could be like a grilled chicken in Bkk and Isaan has more intensive grill...;-) Dont say that you guys stay the whole day long only in AC rooms. :o

I've got goofing off down to an artform

Please translate "goofing off". :o

Udon: I don't know the Aussie words for it, but "goofing off" basically means being "slack" or not doing anything important. If you "goof off" at work, you're kind of saying you are collecting a paycheck, but not really doing anything much to earn it and you are usually saying it in a joking manner. :D I think the saying came from the character Goofy, in the Mickey Mouse cartoon. So how do you say it in "Aussie"?

I posted this question elsewhere at the Thailand Forum, but was wondering specifically from you guys already living in the Issan: How often you go back to your original countries and whether or not you hold onto property back there as a fallback plan?  :D

Legendarysurfer: Ok, specifically, I seldom go back to the US for a visit. Once every 5 years (maybe). No I do not have property there as a "fall back plan" (unless I count on my sister, and I probably do), but I do keep the majority of my "funds" in the US.

Now want to know bad side of Isaan too. Nobody talks about the hot weather there. How is the weather in summer ? I'm a bangkokian but living in Europe, dont like the heat in April in Thailand, trying to avoid not to come during this time. But last year I was in Bkk that time, and it was so hot that I could be like  a grilled chicken in Bkk and Isaan has more intensive grill...;-) Dont say that you guys stay the whole day long only in AC rooms.  :D

Saothai: Love the heat as long as I don't have to sit out under the sun. And I don't have to.beer2d7be.gif

Edited by Ken

Now want to know bad side of Isaan too. Nobody talks about the hot weather there. How is the weather in summer ? I'm a bangkokian but living in Europe, dont like the heat in April in Thailand, trying to avoid not to come during this time. But last year I was in Bkk that time, and it was so hot that I could be like  a grilled chicken in Bkk and Isaan has more intensive grill...;-) Dont say that you guys stay the whole day long only in AC rooms.  :o

That's the great thing about my house--it's in the Khoa Yai foothills at 400M elevation. It doesn't have the typical Isaan weather. Now my wife's village is on the other side of Khorat and the last two times I visited were in May. After a few days of that I insisted on staying in a hotel with some cold A/c. The one I stayed in during my 1989 trip later collapsed and killed a bunch of folks!

I've got goofing off down to an artform

Please translate "goofing off". :o

Udon: I don't know the Aussie words for it, but "goofing off" basically means being "slack" or not doing anything important. If you "goof off" at work, you're kind of saying you are collecting a paycheck, but not really doing anything much to earn it and you are usually saying it in a joking manner. :D I think the saying came from the character Goofy, in the Mickey Mouse cartoon. So how do you say it in "Aussie"?

I posted this question elsewhere at the Thailand Forum, but was wondering specifically from you guys already living in the Issan: How often you go back to your original countries and whether or not you hold onto property back there as a fallback plan?  :D

Legendarysurfer: Ok, specifically, I seldom go back to the US for a visit. Once every 5 years (maybe). No I do not have property there as a "fall back plan" (unless I count on my sister, and I probably do), but I do keep the majority of my "funds" in the US.

Now want to know bad side of Isaan too. Nobody talks about the hot weather there. How is the weather in summer ? I'm a bangkokian but living in Europe, dont like the heat in April in Thailand, trying to avoid not to come during this time. But last year I was in Bkk that time, and it was so hot that I could be like  a grilled chicken in Bkk and Isaan has more intensive grill...;-) Dont say that you guys stay the whole day long only in AC rooms.  :D

Saothai: Love the heat as long as I don't have to sit out under the sun. And I don't have to.beer2d7be.gif

In the fields the wind blows, not always but most of the time. In Bangkok the buildings block any real breezes, plus the high-rises with their flashy glass walls reflect the heat, coupled with their air-conditioners blowing out hot air. สาวไทยหาผัวอีสานดีกว่าเเม่นบ่

บ้านนอก

Legendarysurfer:  Ok, specifically, I seldom go back to the US for a visit.  Once every 5 years (maybe).  No I do not have property there as a "fall back plan" (unless I count on my sister, and I probably do), but I do keep the majority of my "funds" in the US.

Thanks, Ken. It's probably unrealistic for me to hold onto property in the US once I move to Thailand, but my eyes are bigger than my wallet. Also, my sons will remain in the US. I can always visit them without having to have a place of my own... :o

When we make the move the only assets we'll leave in the states is a nest egg in the bank. I'm sure we'll inhert some real estate from my parents when that time comes but we don't really have any plans to return.

As far as the bad side of life in LOS, for me it is mixing Laotian with Thai in our part of Issan. I've been learning Thai but everytime we go back I get grilled in mixed Laotian by the wife's family. The weather doesn't bother me at all. I personnally think BKK is much hotter than Issan because of the lack of air flow and the poorer air quality. We built a Gatom in our rice fields for an escape from the poorly built house (farlang style and it didn't breath) in the village where we stay and it was so much nicer out there with a nice steady breeze. The family's old house was very comfortable as it breathed quite well but it was always full of people, like a constant party was going on.

Goofing off is a required skill of military and federal service. You get good at it while waiting for your job to actually come to fruitation. It really does suck but that's life in the hurry up and wait western lifestyle. It could be as boring as siting on the internet all day to doing your college course at work ot spending all day in the gym working out. But when the shi* hit's the fan you had better be ready to jump.

I just saw a news article about some gal sueing her employer, the Sate of New York, for not giving her any work for the past year or so. Apparently that was her punishment for being a whistle blower, some punishment.

Eric

Goofing off is a required skill of military and federal service.  You get good at it while waiting for your job to actually come to fruitation.  It really does suck but that's life in the hurry up and wait western lifestyle.  It could be as boring as siting on the internet all day to doing your college course at work ot spending all day in the gym working out.  But when the shi* hit's the fan you had better be ready to jump.

I just saw a news article about some gal sueing her employer, the Sate of New York, for not giving her any work for the past year or so.  Apparently that was her punishment for being a whistle blower, some punishment.

Eric

Nice post. And "goofing off" in the military, at least when I was in it eons ago, it also sort of meant "looking busy" for the "brass" even if there wasnt anything to do. I remember going out to the huge computer consoles and there was a "press to test" to see if all the flashing lights were working. We were not "goofing off" as far as the bosses were concerned. But you are for sure correct, when the "shi." hit the fan you better know what the f... you are doing and better be doing it.

As far as the bad side of life in LOS, for me it is mixing Laotian with Thai in our part of Issan. I've been learning Thai but everytime we go back I get grilled in mixed Laotian by the wife's family. The weather doesn't bother me at all. I personnally think BKK is much hotter than Issan because of the lack of air flow and the poorer air quality. We built a Gatom in our rice fields for an escape from the poorly built house (farlang style and it didn't breath) in the village where we stay and it was so much nicer out there with a nice steady breeze. The family's old house was very comfortable as it breathed quite well but it was always full of people, like a constant party was going on.

Thanks, Eric. I've had similar thoughts and my wife keeps telling me I'm gonna really like it out on the farm and probably spend a lot of my time there (as much to say, I won't like all the activity at the family house). I had to laugh when you wrote about the "constant party" - not quite that at the family house, but it seems like it's almost a de facto community center quite often... :o