Affordable Farm For Retiring In The Central Plains?

gregb

I have a friend looking for about 50 - 100 rai to retire on somewhere in Thailand, preferably in the central plains. Went to Lopburi last week to check out a distressed asset at 36,000 baht per rai. Unfortunately, it was next to a teak farm, and the residents of the village made it known in no uncertain terms that the owner of the teak farm would not allow the asset management company to sell it, and if they did, life on that land would not be enjoyable.

Needless to say, he has decided not to make an offer. At a restaurant in a village a few kms down the road, he found someone wanting to sell about 50 rai, but at a 120k per rai instead of 36k, which is really outside of the affordable range.

He asked me for advice on where to go, and I don't really have an answer, so I thought I'd ask the group. Let's say you have about 5 million baht or so, and want to purchase 50 - 100 rai in an area with good, black soil, decent rain and water, then build a comfortable house, and retire in a nice community with good people, where in Thailand would you go? A chanote is required in this instance.

The land needs to be priced reasonably for farming, not for speculation. Off the beaten path away from main roads would be preferred. Just a typical Thai village with a wat.

Anybody have any advice?

I have a friend looking for about 50 - 100 rai to retire on somewhere in Thailand, preferably in the central plains. Went to Lopburi last week to check out a distressed asset at 36,000 baht per rai. Unfortunately, it was next to a teak farm, and the residents of the village made it known in no uncertain terms that the owner of the teak farm would not allow the asset management company to sell it, and if they did, life on that land would not be enjoyable.

Needless to say, he has decided not to make an offer. At a restaurant in a village a few kms down the road, he found someone wanting to sell about 50 rai, but at a 120k per rai instead of 36k, which is really outside of the affordable range.

He asked me for advice on where to go, and I don't really have an answer, so I thought I'd ask the group. Let's say you have about 5 million baht or so, and want to purchase 50 - 100 rai in an area with good, black soil, decent rain and water, then build a comfortable house, and retire in a nice community with good people, where in Thailand would you go? A chanote is required in this instance.

The land needs to be priced reasonably for farming, not for speculation. Off the beaten path away from main roads would be preferred. Just a typical Thai village with a wat.

Anybody have any advice?

just bought 50 rai paid 1 mill going to farm it not sure what yet was a banna plantation has an old house on it, this is up in "thai plat Uttaradit" plenty of land for sale up that way