What Is Cool To Thai Teenagers ?

spectrum

As I am a Thai teenager, I think I can be of some help to you. I'm currently a 19 years old male studying at ABAC. If you have any other questions you want to ask or you need help with anything, lemme know. I want to help out. *edit. I think you should divide the survey by family income amount because the answers you will receive will vary greatly depending on the social status of the surveyees.

Is the Japanese "kawai" (cute) style still in ?

The japanese style is longer "in". I think the current fashion in Thailand is not the exactly the same as Korean and Japanese fashion. It's more of a bunch of styles combined together such as Euro, Jap, Korean, etc all combined to create "Thai Fashion". For example, the skinny jeans trend right now for guys is "in" and as you can see Koreans and Japanese people don't really wear tight tight jeans like we are wearing currently. I would say that right now we are more inspired by Koreans than Japanese. Hair wise it's all about Korean style hair right now. That's for sure. So to sum it up, no kawai is no longer in.

Are Korean pop stars more the go now ?

Yes, Korean pop stars are very popular right now to Thai females aging from 12-18. People over 18 aren't really into them as much.

Where are the latest trends coming from ?

Latest trends are mostly coming from Europe and Korea. Stuff from Europe are usually brand name clothing such as Topman, Topshop, Zara, Swear Shoes, Cheap Monday Jeans, etc.

Are there any uniquely Thai trends and if so, are they being "exported" anywhere ?

Yes, uniquely Thai trends would be white leather pointy shoes worn with jeansa, skinny jeans, high waist pants and skirts for girls, etc.

Specific questions might be:

What is your favourite pastime?

Shopping, games, golf, clubbing (Nang Len, Jet, Blog 9), eating good food, cars

What is your favourite song/singer/group?

I'm gonna list groups. Tattoo Colour, Lipta, Bodyslam, BoydPOD, Potato

Favourite film ?

Dark Knight, Ironman, Red Cliff

Favourite Magazine ?

Cheeze, Knock-Knock, XO Auto, AutoMobile, RPM

Favourite website?

Facebook, eBay

How many hours per day/week do you use the internet ?

2-3/day

What is the main way you use the internet -- games/email or instant messaging/chatting/blogging/... ?

Reading the news, email, IM, facebook, forums

Do you use English for any of the above activities ?

Yes, I would say that I use 90% english on the internet. I studied abroad since very little.

Edited by niva103

Watch AF and you'll get the idea.

Yep, AF is about the coolest thing going (among Thai teenagers) in Thailand now. My friend said he was dragged along to one of their elimination concerts and although there wasn't an empty seat left, he was the only farang in the place.

LOL, you ain't kidding - we saw you sitting in the audience a few weeks ago :o

However, one has to remember that AF is primarily for Bangkok audiences and those upcountry who have TrueVisions. My daughter has been twice and has a ticket for the final as well. But she still has many friends who don't know about or give a hoot about AF, and that's in Bangkok!

Mind you, this year at least they have started showing the Saturday concert on ModernNine TV so it may be gaining wider public appeal. AF is quite interesting if you follow reality shows, it's something my whole family watches, and this year the contestants are of much higher standard than previous years.

OK, OK, I couldn't hide from the cameras because of where I was sitting. It is one of the very few times I have been to a show in Bangkok where there are a lot of people and found myself to be the only farang. It was a good indication of who this show is popular with. The Saturday night concerts are well done, but I can't see how some kids watch during the week when it is televised 24 hours a day. Boring.

Yep, AF is about the coolest thing going (among Thai teenagers) in Thailand now. My friend said he was dragged along to one of their elimination concerts and although there wasn't an empty seat left, he was the only farang in the place.

However, one has to remember that AF is primarily for Bangkok audiences and those upcountry who have TrueVisions. My daughter has been twice and has a ticket for the final as well. But she still has many friends who don't know about or give a hoot about AF, and that's in Bangkok!

Mind you, this year at least they have started showing the Saturday concert on ModernNine TV so it may be gaining wider public appeal. AF is quite interesting if you follow reality shows, it's something my whole family watches, and this year the contestants are of much higher standard than previous years.

OK, OK, I couldn't hide from the cameras because of where I was sitting. It is one of the very few times I have been to a show in Bangkok where there are a lot of people and found myself to be the only farang. It was a good indication of who this show is popular with. The Saturday night concerts are well done, but I can't see how some kids watch during the week when it is televised 24 hours a day. Boring.

Just to update you guys on this year's AF. This year's AF isn't really popular. The Star stole a majority of AF's spotlight. It has been the other way around for the past 4 years. AF's decreasing popularity this year is due to the lack of talent and uniqueness of the contestants whereas. Nonetheless, theres still a lot of people watching AF just not as much as prior years.

Just to update you guys on this year's AF. This year's AF isn't really popular. The Star stole a majority of AF's spotlight. It has been the other way around for the past 4 years. AF's decreasing popularity this year is due to the lack of talent and uniqueness of the contestants whereas. Nonetheless, theres still a lot of people watching AF just not as much as prior years.

Which means the format is popular among teens. I would be surprised if the popularity of the two shows doesn't also extend to the villages and farms as well.

LOL - right behind the commentators, unavoidable... AF is definitely for the Thais, but I watch along with my kids - during the week, there are occasionally some interesting tidbits, like side plots in a soap opera. But normally I won't pay much attention until Saturday.

Niva, I'm going to disagree about The Star - they are completely different formats. AF is reality programming, while The Star is more like a talent show. Furthermore, the contestants on The Star are far inferior to those on AF.

It is entirely possible AF5's audience is not as big as AF4, and this year the contestants seem a bit less unique and interesting, but lack of talent I completely disagree unless you're talking about Pump, the one person in the contest who has absolutely no talent (though last Saturday's performance was spectacular by his standards). The biggest problem with AF is that the most talented end up going out early because AF is a popularity contest, not a talent contest, and one could also say that it's like the Best Looking Male contest. Nim is a prime example of this problem - she easily has the best voice, but she went out very early.

AF is definitely a show for teens - mostly girls.

The Star is on public TV and undoubtedly is more popular from a nationwide standpoint. But I guarantee that AF is way, way more profitable, and because it allows public participation it will have a more stable future.

Gotta admit though - of the remaining contestants, none of them are particular interesting from my standpoint.

With my 14, soon to be 15, year old son, it is all about computer games. That is the sole purpose of the internet. Forget about email, chatting, or instant messaging. That's for girls, who he has absolutely no use for. All they do is talk about who is doing what to whom, and who is the girlfriend of whom. Boring! And forget about using English. English is only for talking with his parents and some of his teachers, who he also has absolutely no use for. All they do is tell him to do things he doesn't want to do. Annoying!

Good luck. If you use the word education, he isn't going anywhere near it. Now if you use the word game, he may take a look at it.

:D Seems our lads are much the same :o:D

And ours :D Although the older boy(15) is showing an interest in girls.

Interesting comments, all.

Special thanks to Niva :o .

"Kawai" (cute, pink girly) style does seem pretty in still in Chiang Mai, if not BKK. However, that just may be how it appears to my untrained eye. Any comments from people in other areas on that ?

Interesting comments, all.

Special thanks to Niva :o .

"Kawai" (cute, pink girly) style does seem pretty in still in Chiang Mai, if not BKK. However, that just may be how it appears to my untrained eye. Any comments from people in other areas on that ?

Note that it's very difficult for farang to tell the difference between Kawaii vs. Korean vs. Taiwanese vs. 'combination'. :D