Curry

fred2007

I guess you guys will hate me for this, but I love indian curry, Yes I love thai curry as well but my favorite

one is indian. Don't get me wrong I am not indian ( and if I where ?) I just love the taste of indian curry and the only place I can find it is Villa market ( if they have it some times) :D Does anybody know

where to get Pataks Curry Paste ( I guess it comes from England) And I am not english either :o

I have tried many places ( like Big C, Tesko and so on) but no one has it. :D Can anybody help me ?

I guess you guys will hate me for this, but I love indian curry, Yes I love thai curry as well but my favorite

one is indian. Don't get me wrong I am not indian ( and if I where ?) I just love the taste of indian curry and the only place I can find it is Villa market ( if they have it some times) :D Does anybody know

where to get Pataks Curry Paste ( I guess it comes from England) And I am not english either :o

I have tried many places ( like Big C, Tesko and so on) but no one has it. :D Can anybody help me ?

Well Mr Fred 2007, I am sincerely hoping I can be of good service to you sir. recently I was having the greatest pleasure of shopping in the wonderful market of Villa near Phrom Pong. And lo and behold sir, there on the shelf near the frozen meat section was a selection of Patak's curry sauces. Vindaloo, Korma etcetera. My mouth was veritably watering at the prospect of a home made lamb Korma.

So be getting yourself off to a Villa market at your earliest convenience and buy some Pataks.

Also Haldirans shop may also be having some of this wonderful curry paste too. Pahurat and Sukumvit I think maybe Soi 10?

http://www.villamarket.com/

A Thaivisa sponsor.

Well Mr Fred 2007, I am sincerely hoping I can be of good service to you sir. recently I was having the greatest pleasure of shopping in the wonderful market of Villa near Phrom Pong. And lo and behold sir, there on the shelf near the frozen meat section was a selection of Patak's curry sauces. Vindaloo, Korma etcetera. My mouth was veritably watering at the prospect of a home made lamb Korma.

So be getting yourself off to a Villa market at your earliest convenience and buy some Pataks.

Also Haldirans shop may also be having some of this wonderful curry paste too. Pahurat and Sukumvit I think maybe Soi 10?

http://www.villamarket.com/

A Thaivisa sponsor.

Well you make my mouth water now but I have been to villa market in the past few weeks, 2 shops I don't know the addresses because I don't life in BKK but both shops did not have any at all and yes I looked over the frozen meat section ( because last time I didn't know till some one told me ) But nothing

Well I guess I have to go back again ( about 110km ) and if I find it I will cook a nice curry for you :D

I guess you guys will hate me for this, but I love indian curry,

I'll break this to you as softly as possible....... try a curry in India ..... you don't like Indian curry, you like English curry.

That is why there are so many crap curry houses in Bangkok, Pattaya etc (yes, I know there may be a couple of good ones, but they are few and far between) they should make all the Indian chefs in Thailand (a very lose description of chef) take an intensive month long training course in either Didsbury or Birmingham and send them away with a shopping list of Pataks sauces.

English curry, where spices are used to create a tasty and aromatic dish (quite rare for English cuisine) and not just a meat preserver (or to hide the taste of meat that has already started to rot)

Can't beat a decent Curry, English style, there are a few decent places in BKK though, and the ones they do in Villa are normally from Novotel Lotus (Soi 33) which IMO are OK. However, I do also like the traditional Indian cuisine as well from my experiences Of travelling there.

I have to admit to not seeing the Pataks sauces, but I will certainly have a look this week when I pop down there to get the usual foods, as it's a dam_n sight easier than making the base sauce from scratch.

one is indian. Don't get me wrong I am not indian ( and if I where ?) I just love the taste of indian curry and the only place I can find it is Villa market ( if they have it some times)

If you're prepared to work at achieving the taste you want, the recipes in the Kris Dhillon book 'The Curry Secret' do make an excellent curry. I'm not sure how easy it is to get all of the spices in Thailand (my folks bought over a supply on their last visit) and I find tinned tomatoes tricky to get hold of where I live, but I'd highly recommend looking out for a copy, even if it's an electronic version such as a PDF.

I'm not an expert on curry since I am neither British nor Indian, but I do love it and agree it is tastier than Thai curry. I buy curries--fresh--from the delicatessen counter section of Carrefour on Rama IV, I believe the stall is run by the Blue Elephant restaurant people. After around 5 pm the prices are halved, I buy quantities of all the kinds they have, take them home and freeze them for later.

Also the many small restaurants around the Indian temple on Silom offer a variety of tasty curries including some very good vegetarian ones.

... or to hide the taste of meat that has already started to rot ...

You silly racist.

a challenge Sir ! I believe the British Army were involved with curries in india during their early days there, specifically as the curry ingredients did actually stop bad meat from getting worse and it remained edible.

Of course if they had refs in those days things may have been different

Edited by nonthaburial

Try going to the area in bangkok were all the indians live, dont know where it is myself but passed through it a few years ago on a bus, for a minute i thought i was in india or back in the UK. Maybe someone knows which area of bangkok it is so they can post it on here

The way Brits talk about curry (as if only they know what is a good curry) reminds me of how Americans talk about pizza. Funny that. Signed, an American who loves curry, bloody INDIAN curry.

Most of the "indian" curries have infact originated in the UK. for example, tikka masala, balti, the list goes on.

Having spent over 9 months in india i can tell you that a curry in the UK is better than curry in india! unless your in goa that is!

The best Indian food I have ever had is in Silicon Valley California USA. Real Indian curries made with prime ingredients, cooked for India's elite engineers and high tech executives and entrepreneurs, who work en masse there. Nothing British about it. My Indian friends there used to tell me the food there was better than they were used to in India, and I guess I will take their word for it. And yes I have been to well reviewed Indian places in the UK and there was no comparison, the Californian was better. The balti is very great stuff though and obviously popularized in the UK, I will give you that. I have not been to India and don't wish to go so much, but I remember an old saying, the further you get from India, the better the Indian food. As the Indian food in Pattaya is so poor, clearly Thailand isn't far enough (though there is great Indian in Bangkok, ha ha).

On second thought, the Indian food in Malaysia and Singapore ain't chopped liver either. They seem to do a very bold version of biryani, hard to find elsewhere (perhaps also India).

Edited by Jingthing

There are a bunch of pretty good Indian food/curry restaurants in the lower Sukhumvit area of BKK...

Nearby is the Villa Market on Suk Soi 11.... I can't say 100%, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Indian curry makings on the shelves there... There's a big Indian community living/working nearby.

American pizza is the best (and maybe Melbourne pizza) and British curry is the best. Indian curry is not bad though.

Barbarian!!! Get thee to either i) Dulios, off Sukhumvit or ii) Scoozies, at Crystal Park on Lad Prao road for a wood-fired totally non-american and most excellent pizza!!!!!

As for curries, you can forget that bottled Patak stuff. You need to find some genuine Indian cooks, wandering the streets in the Indian section of Old Siam is pretty good (and amazingly cheap), or try Himalayachacha (spelling not quite right), several branches but the one near the Emporium is best.

PS: Australian pizza is crap too.

Edited by Crushdepth

There are a bunch of pretty good Indian food/curry restaurants in the lower Sukhumvit area of BKK...

Nearby is the Villa Market on Suk Soi 11.... I can't say 100%, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Indian curry makings on the shelves there... There's a big Indian community living/working nearby.

Yes, but let's try to be specific.

Mrs Balbir's, just off the Sukhumvit end of soi 11 is absolutely excellent, India Hut (somewhere a long way away, sorry I forget) was very good a few months back and Himali Cha Cha (closer to correct spelling I think) a few years back - superb!

Has anyone any comments on Rang Mahal, that Very expensive one in a 5 star Bkk hotel? Looking at prices I could only afford their Sunday buffet and I've seldom been in Bkk on a Sunday! So I compensate with their frozen range in Rimping supermarkets up here in Chiang Mai.

And here, restaurant-wise, it has to be Royal India (200m from Thapae Gate) or Le Spice in the Night Bazaar.

After many years here in Pattaya, missing a curry after a good beer session, I make my own.

Rice is dead easy.

Nan bread: three for 24 baht: Friendship Supermarket, South Pattaya Road.

The Curry

I make a sauce about twice a month and freeze it in six portions (plastic bag) then as and when required defrost and add selected ingredients, beef, chicken, or vegetables. Also throw in a couple of sliced tomatoes then simmer for a while.

The main curry sauce is mainly pureed onions, all the different spices and a bit of fat and I think most importantly a stick of this (see photograph).

Available in Friendship Supermarket: Hot/Medium/Mild

It takes a bit of experimentation, but now I have it perfected.

Good luck!

Photograph courtesy of Libya 115 © 2008

post-26634-1216655464_thumb.jpg