Curry

fred2007

There are a bunch of pretty good Indian food/curry restaurants in the lower Sukhumvit area of BKK...

Nearby is the Villa Market on Suk Soi 11.... I can't say 100%, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Indian curry makings on the shelves there... There's a big Indian community living/working nearby.

Yes, but let's try to be specific.

Mrs Balbir's, just off the Sukhumvit end of soi 11 is absolutely excellent, India Hut (somewhere a long way away, sorry I forget) was very good a few months back and Himali Cha Cha (closer to correct spelling I think) a few years back - superb!

Has anyone any comments on Rang Mahal, that Very expensive one in a 5 star Bkk hotel? Looking at prices I could only afford their Sunday buffet and I've seldom been in Bkk on a Sunday! So I compensate with their frozen range in Rimping supermarkets up here in Chiang Mai.

And here, restaurant-wise, it has to be Royal India (200m from Thapae Gate) or Le Spice in the Night Bazaar.

Yes... Mrs. Balbir's is on Soi 11-1 just near the Nana BTS station... That's the smaller soi parallel to and just above Soi 11. Very good food, nice atmosphere, and a bit pricy... There also is the newly relocated Dosa King outlet just across on this small same soi.

On the main Soi 11, just before you get to the Ambassador Hotel, there is a Bawarcha (ck spelling)Indian place.

Then directly across Suk Road on Soi 8, which is directly opposite Soi 11, there is the India Garden restaurant just a block down on the main soi and the very well reviewed (but not fancy) Namuskaar restaurant on the first side soi to the left as you walk into Soi 8...

There's others around the neighborhood as well, enough to keep you eating in good Indian food for all your days...

One of the hotels on Soi 11 also does an Indian influenced Sunday buffet brunch... Grand President I think???? Haven't tried it yet...but have been meaning to get there ...if I could only wake up in time on Sunday morning/afternoons...

PS - The ChefsXP.com online delivery service in BKK, which I've had very good experience with thus far, also has about a half dozen different Indian restaurants in their roster....for which they'll deliver to your door at identical menu prices (no markup) for only a single flat fee charge (I believe 60 baht) no matter how much you order or how many different restaurants you order food from in a single order.

• 11 months later...

Discovered the other day that the Cafe 11 Restaurant at the Grand President Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 is no longer offering their very well reviewed Sunday buffet brunch (which always had an Indian food orientation).

Now the restaurant has replaced it with a very good value Monday to Friday buffet lunch for 224 baht. See my review here...

I guess you guys will hate me for this, but I love indian curry, Yes I love thai curry as well but my favorite

one is indian. Don't get me wrong I am not indian ( and if I where ?) I just love the taste of indian curry and the only place I can find it is Villa market ( if they have it some times) :D Does anybody know

where to get Pataks Curry Paste ( I guess it comes from England) And I am not english either :)

I have tried many places ( like Big C, Tesko and so on) but no one has it. :D Can anybody help me ?

Put my vote in for Thai curry...much tasty and healthier......I find the Indian version too oily

may explain why India has one of the highest rates of cardiac problems in the world......

Now a good bagel is tough to find!!

But good curries abound everywhere. It is prolly the only decent, tasty meal the English ever made - boiled beef dont cut it!!

Some of the best curries, bar none, are in London - in fact, next to San Francisco - one of the best in the world for quality/taste.

I am particularly fond of Thai green curry also. The odd 'pucker' Indian restaurant that I have visited has always been a once-off.

Not too much depth and rather bland or singular in the taste spectrum. Almost like a table wine. Drinkable, is all.

Strangely - or no - some of the best pizza in the world was in Italy - at some family owned, wood fired, toilet outside Padova, near

Venice, where they served wine by the water glass, everyone was 'family' and papa served huge slabs of pizza to everyone, until

ya turned the plate over. We had to take a cab back to our hotel, couldnt walk. Amazing place.

Are there any very good (taste) curry houses in Pattaya or Phuket?

BR>Jack

Yes, but let's try to be specific.

Mrs Balbir's, just off the Sukhumvit end of soi 11 is absolutely excellent, India Hut (somewhere a long way away, sorry I forget) was very good a few months back and Himali Cha Cha (closer to correct spelling I think) a few years back - superb!

Has anyone any comments on Rang Mahal, that Very expensive one in a 5 star Bkk hotel? Looking at prices I could only afford their Sunday buffet and I've seldom been in Bkk on a Sunday! So I compensate with their frozen range in Rimping supermarkets up here in Chiang Mai.

And here, restaurant-wise, it has to be Royal India (200m from Thapae Gate) or Le Spice in the Night Bazaar.

There are a couple of Himali Cha Cha's one of which is on Charoenkrung 47/1, not far from the Oriental. Quite good. There is another one somewher on Sukhumvit.

Indian Hut is on Surawong and is the most frequently reccomended by Indian acquantiances. Not sure that makes it the best, just the most genuinely Indian.

• 6 months later...

Hi all you thai visa lovers. I am new to this site and would like your help. Like a lot of you, I also love English style Indian curries

and living on the edge of Chiang Mai have yet to find a restauraant to suit my tastes. Have tried the Le Spice and mmmm! all I can

say is , I hope there is something better.

With regards to your discussions on who makes the best curry, my wife of course (Yes we are both English) but from time to time

we like to eat out. Thanks The Poacher.

• 4 weeks later...

just one small pointer jingthing.

the balti is not an authentic indian dish. it was first made in the industrial working class areas of england( the midlands, lancashire and yorkshire), by second and third generation english/indians. as a quick and easy alternative to a main meal, i.e. the balti itself, rice and naan bread. to be eaten in much the same way as thais stop what they are doing and grab quick bowl of kuteiow or a plate of krapow khai dow, and wait till the evening to eat a full blown feast with the family.

i think it first came about in the late 70s, early 80s, but dont quote me on that. much of the ingridients are the same as you would find in most indian food, but it origins do not come from mainland.

like alot of foreign influenced food the english have taken it to their heart and now regard it as a national treasure.

i think you will find the same can be said of the vindaloo.

• 4 weeks later...