23 Yr Old Brit Unsure How To Get A Student Loan To Study At Thai International University?

I am a 23 year old brit looking to study at an international university in Thailand. I have a Thai girlfriend and baby boy and looking to study there to be with her rather than studying in the UK. Good opportunity to learn Thai in my spare time too. Any ideas on how to get a Student loan for a student who wants to study abroad in Thailand. I think most student loan lending companies just do it for UK, US, and Australia etc. Please PM me with any ideas or email me on <<emailed deleted>>, Thankyou. :o

I hear 7/11 does them, along with Noddy Bags. :D

Best your going to be able to do is a sandwich year abroard on a 4yr degree methinks.. Met a lot of international students over here for 6 months / 1yr but can't remember a single one of them being a brit..

Do any British unis actually do a student swap with a Thai uni? :o

Live with your mum and dad and work at McDonald's for 6 months (and save your money!) and you can pay for your education... :o

Although... one of my Thai friends told me that since the princess' death, the government is giving out a lot of scholarships and if you have any kind of average HS grades you probably qualify for one. My friend thought even farang qualified for them. Just write a school and ask.

Perhaps work, save up the dosh and pay for it yourself???? :o

Write to all the internationals ABAC, Mahidol. The course fees are going to be high, hence the scholoarship suggestions by previous posters, and to be honest if you plan at any point to return back to the UK to do further studies, im not sure how high up these Univesities rank on the radar to compare with internationals from say Singaporre.

You could study at Ramkhamhaeng, perhaps part-time, but you would need to get your level up to advanced and sit an exam in thai before applying.

Or study at Thai language school, to get a years visa.

best of luck

Edited by kwarmcheua

It's unlikely but not impossible for a foreigner to be sponsored to study (in return for a healthy contractual obligation to the sponsoring institution), but this is usually at the graduate level. As others have said, work and save money- not that much, compared to foreign universities- or get student loans back home and get a real degree (oops! did I say that?) :o

"S"

or get student loans back home and get a real degree (oops! did I say that?) :D

I realize you have a nice smiley face and there is no malicious intent. Having said that, it must be so nice for all

you lucky teachers here who had the opportunity or the finances to get a western education in your home countries.

Some of us were not as fortunate growing up, and have done the best we can by studying here. I realize that my

Thai issued degree from an international university will not be worth sh!t in many people's eyes. I know how hard

I have worked for this degree, and I really don't care what anybody thinks of it. Maybe it appears that my panties

are in a twist, but I just get very sick and tired of people saying that a degree from Thailand isn't worth the paper

it's printed on (Ijustwannateach, I know you haven't said that, but it's something I come across frequently). :o

To the original poster: There is no guarantee from a Thai lending institution that you would remain in the country

and pay back the loan. As a twenty-three year old, I doubt you have any collateral. Even foreigners who have

permanent residency, a Thai wife and kids have trouble securing a mortgage for a modest home or condo. I would

suggest looking for the loan from an institution in your home country. There are a few European students (German

and Scandinavians) where I study and their governments pay their tuition fees until a certain age. I can't remember

the age. Maybe it's 25 years of age.

Edited by mbkudu

Thankyou all for your advice. Appreciated! Think the best way will to try and save for a few years in order to go and pay for the degree etc and survive with my new familly for the following 4 years. :o

Are you talking about a first degree...?

You'd be mad to do it Thailand. :D

RAZZ