Local Wood Varieties . .

technocracy

Being a son of a joiner as well as a furniture and guitar maker myself I have quite a keen interest in the wood that is available here in Laos (same as Thailand).

After a while of just working and learning certain wood attributes I decided to use the internet and compile a 'comprehensive' list of commonly available timbers (some here aren't that common however!). Please correct my Lao to Thai if different.

Tree Latin Name: Pterocarpus indicus

Local Lao/Thai name: mai doo

Trade Name: Narra

Description: The local beauty wood used mainly for furniture, windows and doors but also used for instruments. An open grain with distinctive scent when working - relatively hard but termite resistant. Red-Orange in colour.

Tree Latin Name: Pterocarpus indicus

Local Lao/Thai name: mai doo fai

Trade Name: Rosewood

Description: Decorative and expensive wood mainly used for instruments and decorative items. Not available

Tree Latin Name: Xylia xylocarpa

Local Lao/Thai name: mai daeng

Trade Name: Pyinkado

Description: Even though a direct tranlation would work out as 'red wood' it isn't, neither is it rosewood. Pyinkado is actually the Burmese name trade name but it covers all wood in Lao and Thai. It is a VERY durable and tough wood which has twice the hardness of teak. Used for railway sleepers, piers and other sub-aqua purposes (15 years life untreated) also excellent flooring. With these properties it is also very heavy when green over 1000kg per Cu m also hard to work. Added to this it's a very decorative pinky red in colour.

Personally I am actually in the process of making a experimental guitar body with it - yes it's heavy but in theory it should have brillant resonance.

Tree Latin Name: Hopea Odorata

Local Lao/Thai name: Some people will call it mai khaen and others mai khaen hua

Trade name: Ceylon/Malabar Ironwood

Description: Malabar Ironwood - pretty much goes by it's name strong but light and durable timber resistant to termites (regardless of what the shops will tell you!). Used to make windows, doors, furniture, boats and roofing struts - well it's actually used for basically anything and everything. Sold in Laos as a 'cheap' alternative to mai doo. Easy to work particularly when green. Quite a bizarre wood when it comes to colour - fresh cut and keep out of sunlight it is a white wood, once exposed to sun it changes to a dark orange colour similar to mai doo.

A very good all-round wood however the lack of seasoning done over here ruins the potential of the wood. People think it's a weak or inferior wood due to working on when it hasn't been seasoned then when it shrinks and cracks due to being held in place they blame the timber! :o

Personally I've used it for decking supports, made hand rails from it and few bedside tables.

Tree Latin Name: Hopea ferrea

Local Lao/Thai name: mai khaen hin (don't confuse for cheaper Khaen Hua)

Trade name: Heavy Hopea (also Giam)

Description: One of my favourite timbers here but not as readily available was mai khaen. This very similar in attributes to Pyinkado, very heavy (1000+kg Cu M) and very strong. The best time to work this wood is when green when dried it is like cutting granite - even more so than pyinkado, jigsaw blades will bend - circular saws is the way. If you want strong arms then handsawing is the way to go! Unlike mai khaen it has very little shrinkage and cracking so working it when green is possible. As with pyinkado it's water and termite resistant. In terms of colour when cut it's a wonderful white colour with a yellow tinge. Used as a decking with rain it will turn a pale grey. Oh and it's resistant to staining . . i.e. it will just wash off in the rain as the wood is so dense the stain doesn't penetrate.

Personally I've used it for the main decking beams (10cm x 10cm) and used it was the decking panels.

As I noted above don't confuse this for the cheaper and lesser khaen hua the only real way of telling is by it's colour and if you have to identical size pieces khaen hin is heavier.

Tree Latin Name: Dipterocarpus alatus

Local Lao/Thai name: mai nhang

No trade name

Description: The stuff you don't want your house to be from - termites love it! Mainly used in as building materials and shuttering when moulding concrete pillar and beams etc. Due to being termites favourite food it's avoided for most things.

Tree Latin Name: Dalbergia cochinchinensis

Local Lao/Thai name: Mai Kha Nhoung

Trade name: Siam Rosewood

Description: As Rosewood above - there is numerous varities of rosewood the only difference between them is the colour of the wood.

Last and in no means least .. ..

Tree Latin Name: Tectona grandis

Local Lao/Thai name: Mai Sak

Trade name: Teak

Description: Well teak is teak! Pretty much everyone is aware of the qualities of teak, it's oily nature and use on boat decks.

Anyone for anymore? What have you been offered in your local timber yards? Let me know . . :D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably half the lumber sold is sold as teak. It's NOT teak and the people who buy it sell the finished product as teak. How do you tell the difference? I have no idea.

There is an old house built on stilts near us. The owner wanted to sell it so I went and had a close look. Maybe one out of ten floor joists is full of termites and the rest are not affected. The wood looks identical. Obviously I wasn't able to check the weight but as far as appearance, it looks like the same wood.

Probably half the lumber sold is sold as teak. It's NOT teak and the people who buy it sell the finished product as teak. How do you tell the difference? I have no idea.

you smell the difference.

Do you know if the following grows or is available in Thailand: Dalbergia latifolia, commonly known as Indian rosewood and shisham. I like the grain and color and am looking to furnish a home in TL with this.

Thanks for any info.

It's not a local rosewood variety so I'd hazard a guess that it wouldn't be available. The two which are local in Thailand and Laos are the Dalbergia Cochinchinensis and the Dalbergia Cultrata.

:o

you smell the difference.

Well smell is just one thing but unless you are working it the scent isn't so distinstive. . however teak is pretty easy to identify due to it's oily texture. Also it has very wide and distinctive grain - the grain is dark brown in colour and the heart wood is a very pale brown (cream colour).

Easy reference in rough sawn and most common:

Mai Doo - Mid-Orange with a broad distinctive grain

Mai Daeng - Dark Red with a tight fine grain (very heavy)

Mai Khaen - varies from dark orange-brown to grey depending on state of wetness also a fine grain

Mai Nhang - In general pale yellow - cheap!

Also teak with be more expensive than any other!

Forgot to say if it's termite infested I'd say it's cheap crappy mai nhang.

Well if people are interested I can provide pictures of mai doo, mai khaen huu, mai khaen hin and mai daeng in raw and finished states.

I also am trying to source mai doo fai for my mai daeng guitar fingerboard - visiting my friendly timber shop tomorrow. :o

Righty an update and a quick correction to the initial post.

mai doo fai is actually Red Sandalwood - it is mainly white with reddy orange grain and is also called mai doo luat.

mai doo lai is a dark version of it.

I went in the search of Siam Rosewood - Mai Kha Noung . . . and lets put it this way you can't get it. Mind you I don't think it help that I was dressed for work in a shirt and trousers a falang speaking Lao turning up and asking for a relatively rare wood - the shops took one look at me and just said 'nope . . ' I think they thought I was from a NGO or the like check for shops selling rare woods!

One shop who didn't just tell me to either go away or just give me a hard faced 'no have' (seriously asking for this wood gave me the most unfriendly responses I've ever recieved from Lao people!) thought he actually had some and took into his back store room for a good hunt around. He had a large block what look very much like a rose wood or maybe ebony but he chip at it with a knife and declared it was 'mai kham phii' . Which upto this point I'd never heard of and cannot find any information on what this wood could possibly be - it's air dried outside was basically black but when he chip a small piece the inside was dark red.

One shop who initially turned me away came running after me when I got in the car and asked me what I wanted it for and how much of it I wanted. I think they might of clocked that my car has a yellow private registration plate and not a white NGO plate. They took my telephone number and said they'd call me! It was like I was trying to score dope or something . . well actually harder!

Now one thing I forgot ask about is 'mai ching chang' which is Dalbergia oliveri - another rosewood . . well burmese rosewood is the trade name. Now I have seen the name around but I am not sure if 'chingchang' is the trade name or the Lao name - I guess if I get blank looks I'll know which, my wife has never heard of it but she'd never heard of mai kha noung either.

So the search for timbers continues!

I'll provide the pics as previously mentioned sooner or later!

Righty an update and a quick correction to the initial post.

mai doo fai is actually Red Sandalwood - it is mainly white with reddy orange grain and is also called mai doo luat.

mai doo lai is a dark version of it.

I went in the search of Siam Rosewood - Mai Kha Noung . . . and lets put it this way you can't get it. Mind you I don't think it help that I was dressed for work in a shirt and trousers a falang speaking Lao turning up and asking for a relatively rare wood - the shops took one look at me and just said 'nope . . ' I think they thought I was from a NGO or the like check for shops selling rare woods!

One shop who didn't just tell me to either go away or just give me a hard faced 'no have' (seriously asking for this wood gave me the most unfriendly responses I've ever recieved from Lao people!) thought he actually had some and took into his back store room for a good hunt around. He had a large block what look very much like a rose wood or maybe ebony but he chip at it with a knife and declared it was 'mai kham phii' . Which upto this point I'd never heard of and cannot find any information on what this wood could possibly be - it's air dried outside was basically black but when he chip a small piece the inside was dark red.

One shop who initially turned me away came running after me when I got in the car and asked me what I wanted it for and how much of it I wanted. I think they might of clocked that my car has a yellow private registration plate and not a white NGO plate. They took my telephone number and said they'd call me! It was like I was trying to score dope or something . . well actually harder!

Now one thing I forgot ask about is 'mai ching chang' which is Dalbergia oliveri - another rosewood . . well burmese rosewood is the trade name. Now I have seen the name around but I am not sure if 'chingchang' is the trade name or the Lao name - I guess if I get blank looks I'll know which, my wife has never heard of it but she'd never heard of mai kha noung either.

So the search for timbers continues!

I'll provide the pics as previously mentioned sooner or later!

A very nice thread Techno and I commend you on being able to find the Latin names for these local woods. It's not easy.

Regarding:

Tree Latin Name: Hopea Odorata

Local Lao/Thai name: Some people will call it mai khaen and others mai khaen hua

Trade name: Ceylon/Malabar Ironwood

The Thai name for this wood is "Mai Takhien" and it is commonly used for boat building. Beware there is a spirit that lives in this tree and therefore my wife will not allow me to buy or bring any of it home!

Ching Chan is also a common name in Thai. The wood is beautiful and I've seen furniture for sale made from it. It is the most expensive wood I've come across in Thailand. Used boards >1.5" thickness were selling for B45K per yoke last time I looked.

A couple of other nice Thai woods, not sure of the Latin names, that are termite resistant and with nice grains are Mai Paiyun commonly used for hammer handles around here and Mai Makaa used for tables. The latter being incredibly hard on planer blades!!

I suspect the teak looking wood that GaryA referred to is probably Mai Tabak. It has similar grain to teak but lacks the oils and depth to the grain. I'm in the process of using this wood for a deck. I left some boards on the ground for about 6 months and the termites went after the softwood although the heartwood was fine. Up off the ground it is dong fine with no further damage.

The Thai name for the Mai Doo is Mai Pradoo and is very common for furniture construction.

Some prices for used wood at our local dealer last time I looked per yoke were:

Teak siding ~5/8" thick: B8K

Teak ~1.5" thick: B25K

Mai Tabak ~1" thick: B12K

Mai Makaa ~1" thick: B18K

Mai Ching Chang ~1.5" thick: B45K

Mai Pradoo ~1" thick: B22K

There's a Lao wholesaler I found dealing in local hardwoods that may be of help to you. They can be found at http://www.houseimprovement.info/materialsforsale.asp

rgds

Does anyone know what mahogany is called in Thai local name?

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

PS. Great informative thread!

Thai name: MaHokKaneeBaiYai

Family: Meliacae

Species: Swietenia macrophylla King

From the website http://www.arboretum.ait.ac.th/searchall.cfm#

It was interesting to note that the Neem tree, Sa Dao, is also part of the Mahogany family. I'll have to plane a branch down to see what the grain looks like.

rgds

Does anyone know what mahogany is called in Thai local name?

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

PS. Great informative thread!

Well Lao they call it mai ma hog an nii .. .. :o but I've never seen any for sale.

Cheers for the info Somtham! :( Mai Ma kha (:D) called mai te kha in Lao - Afzelia Xylocarpa, it's next on my list for a guitar body. Very beautiful timber - if you can find the burl even more so!

Talking of being hard on blades try mai daeng it's is literally like working granite. The guitar body I just finish blunted 2 router bits (one spiral bit now has a chipped blade ... most unhappy!) and to get it finished ready for a polish it took several sander belts and 15 hand sheet of cutting paper! But I've got say it looks great and will more so after a polish. Another little snip on Mai daeng I found this website

Don't know what Mai Paiyun is in Lao and never heard of it so can't tell you anything about that.

I have just discovered also that Ebony is Mai Maak Gua in Lao (Mai ma glua in Thai) - so tomorrow I will be trying to find Ebony and Chin Chang for my fret boards.

Yes Mai Pradoo is the thai of Mai doo . . which does end up being turned into the ostentatious and highly ugly side boards and units! They really don't appreciate what timber they've got - I've yet to see any piece of furniture that has been finished to the mirror finish that is possible. It really is beautiful timber . . . the neck for the mai daeng guitar is mai doo and today I started the making a mai doo guitar body. I can't wait finish them and show my wife how good mai doo can look!

As for those prices . .. . :D:D all I can say is timber in Laos is a fraction of them prices!

Edit: Oh forgot say I ain't forgot the photos just been a bit busy - I've currently got mai doo, mai khaen, khaen hin and mai daeng lying around. Hopefully I'll add Chin chang and ebony to that tomorrow. So it'll be a bit of a pictorial for the words. :D

Cheers for the info Somtham! :D Mai Ma kha (:D) called mai te kha in Lao - Afzelia Xylocarpa, it's next on my list for a guitar body. Very beautiful timber - if you can find the burl even more so!

Talking of being hard on blades try mai daeng it's is literally like working granite. The guitar body I just finish blunted 2 router bits (one spiral bit now has a chipped blade ... most unhappy!) and to get it finished ready for a polish it took several sander belts and 15 hand sheet of cutting paper! But I've got say it looks great and will more so after a polish. Another little snip on Mai daeng I found this website

Don't know what Mai Paiyun is in Lao and never heard of it so can't tell you anything about that.

I have just discovered also that Ebony is Mai Maak Gua in Lao (Mai ma glua in Thai) - so tomorrow I will be trying to find Ebony and Chin Chang for my fret boards.

Yes Mai Pradoo is the thai of Mai doo . . which does end up being turned into the ostentatious and highly ugly side boards and units! They really don't appreciate what timber they've got - I've yet to see any piece of furniture that has been finished to the mirror finish that is possible. It really is beautiful timber . . . the neck for the mai daeng guitar is mai doo and today I started the making a mai doo guitar body. I can't wait finish them and show my wife how good mai doo can look!

As for those prices . .. . :o:D all I can say is timber in Laos is a fraction of them prices!

Edit: Oh forgot say I ain't forgot the photos just been a bit busy - I've currently got mai doo, mai khaen, khaen hin and mai daeng lying around. Hopefully I'll add Chin chang and ebony to that tomorrow. So it'll be a bit of a pictorial for the words. :D

I've planed quite a bit a mai daeng but I think the makaa is tougher on the tools. In either case it really helps to have carbide blades. Hope you post some pics of your guitar when it's completed. I had a wood working instructor once tell me "when you think you've finished sanding....start"! Your effort on sanding will show in the final piece. What are you using for a final finish, lacquer?

The Latin name for mai paiyun is Dalbergia cochinchinensis and the common name is Thai or Siam Rosewood. You might want to check it out as I think it would make a nice looking guitar body.

Found this website today while looking for the paiyun Latin name. It has pictures of just about every wood you can think of. What I do is use the "find on this page" function and type in Thailand and hit next. You can then view a picture of the wood.

http://www.rarewoodsandveneers.com/pages/w...ecimenslist.htm

Thanks for the Thai name of ebony. You wouldn't believe the google time I've spent trying to find it about a yera ago. Appreciate it.

Post pictures of the guitars!!

rgds

I've planed quite a bit a mai daeng but I think the makaa is tougher on the tools. In either case it really helps to have carbide blades. Hope you post some pics of your guitar when it's completed. I had a wood working instructor once tell me "when you think you've finished sanding....start"! Your effort on sanding will show in the final piece. What are you using for a final finish, lacquer?

The Latin name for mai paiyun is Dalbergia cochinchinensis and the common name is Thai or Siam Rosewood. You might want to check it out as I think it would make a nice looking guitar body.

Found this website today while looking for the paiyun Latin name. It has pictures of just about every wood you can think of. What I do is use the "find on this page" function and type in Thailand and hit next. You can then view a picture of the wood.

http://www.rarewoodsandveneers.com/pages/w...ecimenslist.htm

Thanks for the Thai name of ebony. You wouldn't believe the google time I've spent trying to find it about a yera ago. Appreciate it.

Post pictures of the guitars!!

rgds

Finish .. french polished - mai deng being so dense just won't hold lacquer well.

mai paiyun aka mai kha nyoung isn't readily available here.

I've just seen on that website that mai kham pii is Dalbergia Cultrata rose wood. Although I had already dedeuced this from a quick visit to a shop today who had a sawn sample and I recognised the grain.

The shop I visited was out of ebony (mai mak gua) however was offer 'mai muun' unfortunately I have to wait until Friday to see it. I am hoping its diospyros mun (Moon Ebony) as this would be just what I am looking for to make the fret boards from - also incredibly beautiful.

I will keep you posted. :o

Ok you want pictures you got'em!

IMG_0522.jpg

First up the samples!

From left to right:

mai doo - a nearly finished piece (I wanted to show the wife what it can look like!)

mai doo - planed not sanded

mai daeng - resawn and held against an 80 grit belt sander for a few seconds

mai daeng - unfinished

mai khaen hin - resawn and same 80 grit belt sander

mai khaen hin - weathered not direct rain but left outside

mai khaen hua - resawn and same 80 grit belt sander

mai khaen hua - believe it or not this is the colour it turns when exposed to daylight the white grain will only last a few hours before darkening.

Oh the decking underneath is full on weathered khaen hin.

IMG_0527.jpg

Close up of the finished mai doo - might be used as a fret board on a later guitar

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

The mid point Mai Daeng guitar, the neck is mai doo - now waiting for parts from the US and once I get some ebony or moon ebony for the fret board it will progress further.

First up the samples!

From left to right:

mai doo - a nearly finished piece (I wanted to show the wife what it can look like!)

mai doo - planed not sanded

mai daeng - resawn and held against an 80 grit belt sander for a few seconds

mai daeng - unfinished

mai khaen hin - resawn and same 80 grit belt sander

mai khaen hin - weathered not direct rain but left outside

mai khaen hua - resawn and same 80 grit belt sander

mai khaen hua - believe it or not this is the colour it turns when exposed to daylight the white grain will only last a few hours before darkening.

Interesting that the last four samples on the right are all the same wood. The first of those four looks very nice.

The guitar is looking sweet. What type of adhesive are you using for the joinery? I used to use Tightbond II in the US but it's not available in Thailand and haven't found a suitable replacement. Please post a pic when you finish the guitar.

rgds

Interesting that the last four samples on the right are all the same wood. The first of those four looks very nice.

The guitar is looking sweet. What type of adhesive are you using for the joinery? I used to use Tightbond II in the US but it's not available in Thailand and haven't found a suitable replacement. Please post a pic when you finish the guitar.

rgds

Well the 2 timbers - Hopea Odorata (Ceylon Ironwood) and Hopea Ferra (Giam) - may be the same tree family but are very different.

Ironwood needs to be fully dried before use as it shrinks - massive shrinkage and cracks with it. Like I said in the first post people don't understand this so when they make windows and doors from it and they deform people blame the timber.

Giam however is totally stable and like you say is very attractive and similar to Ash looks wise - and most importantly for yourself it's not Mai Takhien so no spirits are attacted to it! :o It's nowhere near as common as the ironwood.

A quick update to the interested parties!

Mai Moon I mentioned previously is actually a very dark rosewood which I go and collect tomorrow.

Today however I have aquired a chunk of mai lang dam aka Diospyros embryopteris aka Mun Ebony - absolutely beautiful timber.

Diospyros%20embryopteris,%20Pale%20mun%20ebony,%20Laos.jpg

Oh on the wood adhesive I use Elmers from Homepro it's a US imported brand and does what it says on the tin i.e bonds stronger that the wood. :o

A quick update to the interested parties!

Mai Moon I mentioned previously is actually a very dark rosewood which I go and collect tomorrow.

Today however I have aquired a chunk of mai lang dam aka Diospyros embryopteris aka Mun Ebony - absolutely beautiful timber.

Oh on the wood adhesive I use Elmers from Homepro it's a US imported brand and does what it says on the tin i.e bonds stronger that the wood. :o

That piece of wood looks like a beautiful sunset! Did you find any of the mai mak gua yet?

Thanks on the Elmer's. That's what I've been using and works well but is not waterproof or for exterior use.

rgds

That piece of wood looks like a beautiful sunset! Did you find any of the mai mak gua yet?

Thanks on the Elmer's. That's what I've been using and works well but is not waterproof or for exterior use.

rgds

That's only the sample on that rare woods and veneers site you posted - my chuck has got far more detail in the black - I'll get a picture later.

mai mak gua - pure black ebony - is very hard to get hold of I went to a timber merchants yesterday down town after exhausting my shops (the timber merchant are significantly more expensive as you pay by the Kg). Basically the stump of the tree is only about 6" in diameter and the core has normally disintegrated. In general they cut it up into small chunks for handle carvings. So getting any 18" in length for fret boards ain't easy. However I have seen some samples and it is unreal! You could be looking at a chunk of coal it's absolutely black and has a natural sheen to it.

Yep Elmers is interior - I have used it once outside but it had a protective coating of varnish over it to keep the water away, no problems so far. However that is only on joints of a hand rail (semi circular - so lots of joints) so certainly not structural!

• 2 weeks later...
Great thread i've learned so much!

Does anybody know if Mai Khaen the same as the ironwood from Kalimantan in Indonesia?

After a quick bit of googling I found that the Kalimantan Ironwood is Eusideroxylon Zwageri aka Borneo Ironwood so nothing to do with Mai Khaen. The closest thing to it judging by it's colouring and grain is mai daeng which is Burmese Ironwood (Pyinkado) - however Burmese Ironwood is denser than Borneo Ironwood.

• 1 month later...

This is a great reference, thanks technocracy and contributors.

My question: does anyone know Mai Khaen (Mai Takhien) "Tong" (gold)? The wood guy who is a friend of our builder says it's more expensive than teak and has better qualities. I'm skeptical...as was said...teak is teak! Any info appreciated.

This is a great reference, thanks technocracy and contributors.

My question: does anyone know Mai Khaen (Mai Takhien) "Tong" (gold)? The wood guy who is a friend of our builder says it's more expensive than teak and has better qualities. I'm skeptical...as was said...teak is teak! Any info appreciated.

Kai Khaen Tong . . new one on me - I only know of hin and huea. I'd be very skeptical - particularly being price more than Teak. Easy thing to do is just go to another timber yard and ask them if they have it and how much it is.

I've found this Thai lists:

Mai sisiet nua = Akazie (Acacia catechu)

Mai makha = Monkey Pod Tree (Afzelia xylocarpa)

Gaang luang = Coffin Wood (Albizia chinensis)

Mai krabak yai = Krabak (Anisoptera costata)

Mai saake = Brotfrucht (Artocarpus communis)

Mai kanun = Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)

Mai ngiu = Flamboyant / Flame of the Forest (Bombax ceiba)

Mai chayapruek = Laburnum (Cassia fistula)

Mai ma prao = Kokos (Cocos nucifera)

Mai daang = Rosenholz (Dalbergia parviflora)

Mai ma klua = Ebenholz (Diospyros mollis)

Mai yang = Yang / Gardschan Balsam (Dipterocarpus)

Mai yukalip = Eukalyptus (Eucalyptus sp)

Mai ni krot = Banyan / Feigenbaum (Ficus bengalensis)

Mai dton bo = Bodhibaum / Feige (Ficus religiosa)

Mai para = Gummibaum / Rubber wood (Hevea brasiliensis)

Mai takhien = Takhien (Hopea odorata)

Mai tong bung = Kempas (Koompassia)

Mai ma muang = Mango (Mangifera caloneura)

Mai champa = Magnolie (Michelia champaca)

Mai dton son = Pinie (Pinus kesiya, merkusii)

Mai pradu = Nara Wood (Pterocarpus indicus)

Mai ching chun = Siamese Rosewood (Pterocarpus macrocarpus)

Mai gong gang = Mangrove (Rhizophora mucronata)

Mai cham churee - Chamchuree (Samanea samana)

Mai daang = Burmesischer Sal Baum (Shorea obtusa)

Mai rang = Thai Sal Baum (Shorea siamensis)

Mai gong gang = Mangrove (Sonneratia sp)

Mai makam = Tamarind (Tamarindus indica)

Mai sak = Teak (Tectona grandis)

Mai daeng = Ironwood (Xylia xylocarpa)

Which apparently from a book called Thai Wood by Mark Graham in 1996 and was posted on a german thai website hence some of the german names.

In terms of having better properties than Teak . . . well it depends on what it will be used for since Teak isn't a hugely strong or dense timber however it's water resistant qualities are second to none.

My thai is not that good and the thread seems to be well done with the thai names.

It would be good to put the farang pronunciation where appropriate, since this is the first problem for somebody new.

For instance , presume Mai Daeng = pronounced "mai teng"

Might sound a bit pedantic but this was one that most confused me because I wasnt thinking about d pronounced t.

jojo

Very good thread Techno!

Very interesting and useful... Maybe I try to find a lot of these woods here in Chiang Mai...

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

PS: and the guitar?..

The guitar . .. . well I've got a few in the works at the moment but I am in the UK visiting family for a month - they'll be finished in Oct. :D

Pictures will be provided once finished :o

JoJo - personally I'd avoid mai nhang (yang - to the untrained ear is what it sounds like but you have to be careful since yang mean what . . well it does in Lao not sure about Thai) - mai nhang is termite fodder they consume it with ease!

Also for those interested I've done some tests with Elmers Interior glue in terms of water resistance and basically if your joint is good the water won't penetrate it even after 2 days! That is fully submerge in water - not just rained on!

Archived