Local Wood Varieties . .

technocracy

Righty an update and a quick correction to the initial post.

mai doo fai is actually Red Sandalwood - it is mainly white with reddy orange grain and is also called mai doo luat.

mai doo lai is a dark version of it.

I went in the search of Siam Rosewood - Mai Kha Noung . . . and lets put it this way you can't get it. Mind you I don't think it help that I was dressed for work in a shirt and trousers a falang speaking Lao turning up and asking for a relatively rare wood - the shops took one look at me and just said 'nope . . ' I think they thought I was from a NGO or the like check for shops selling rare woods!

One shop who didn't just tell me to either go away or just give me a hard faced 'no have' (seriously asking for this wood gave me the most unfriendly responses I've ever recieved from Lao people!) thought he actually had some and took into his back store room for a good hunt around. He had a large block what look very much like a rose wood or maybe ebony but he chip at it with a knife and declared it was 'mai kham phii' . Which upto this point I'd never heard of and cannot find any information on what this wood could possibly be - it's air dried outside was basically black but when he chip a small piece the inside was dark red.

One shop who initially turned me away came running after me when I got in the car and asked me what I wanted it for and how much of it I wanted. I think they might of clocked that my car has a yellow private registration plate and not a white NGO plate. They took my telephone number and said they'd call me! It was like I was trying to score dope or something . . well actually harder!

Now one thing I forgot ask about is 'mai ching chang' which is Dalbergia oliveri - another rosewood . . well burmese rosewood is the trade name. Now I have seen the name around but I am not sure if 'chingchang' is the trade name or the Lao name - I guess if I get blank looks I'll know which, my wife has never heard of it but she'd never heard of mai kha noung either.

So the search for timbers continues!

I'll provide the pics as previously mentioned sooner or later!

I have on;y lived in Ubonratchathani for 3 years, woodturning, but find that Ching Chang is stunning on the lathe and takes a fantastic polish. Most of it, comes as offcuts, because the wood yard owner, tells me ''it is all offered to the King, if he wants it'' but added that he could order it. It is rather heavy. Other than that, I get Sak, now and again, Payung, and lots of Pradoo, or is that Bradoo? dontheturner

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teak is a decorative furniture wood. It is not used for framing studs

Thailand as well as SE Asia in general have a rich history in homes built of teak. I have seen houses where teak is about the only material used from floor to roof and of course framing studs too.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to revive it because I've been working on a new restaurant and I have a lot of really beautiful wood scraps left. Anyone in Chiang Mai need some nice wood? PM me. Lots of Mai Dang, Doo and others.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone help on this one please.

"Mai Tang" - cannot find any reference to it anywhere.

The builder assures me this is the correct spelling - he has used this for the windows.

It is not as "Mai Daeng" which has been used on the deck.

wood variaties can be tricky in Thailand as there are many subspecies and the translation can be difficult to find . IMHO the name you are looking for is mai teng , or teng wood . As far as i know it is balau in a more common western name . It is cheaper then mai daeng , and not as beautiful but is pretty well known as one of the hardwoods . I think and now i am really guessing ( i've looked it all up before but i've forgotten big pieces of it ) , it is more commonly known as mai nua keng ( hardwood ) .

The builder assures me this is the correct spelling - he has used this for the windows.

Mae Taeng a golden hardwood teak, phaeng maak maak.biggrin.png

wood variaties can be tricky in Thailand as there are many subspecies and the translation can be difficult to find . IMHO the name you are looking for is mai teng , or teng wood . As far as i know it is balau in a more common western name . It is cheaper then mai daeng , and not as beautiful but is pretty well known as one of the hardwoods . I think and now i am really guessing ( i've looked it all up before but i've forgotten big pieces of it ) , it is more commonly known as mai nua keng ( hardwood ) .

Thank you. I found more information under balau so appreciate your reply.

• 10 months later...

I just discovered this interesting thread.

There is an interesting website where most SEA tree species are described. A PC application with a good database is freely available: you can then keep the info on your PC/laptop ... Beside botanical and common english names, you get also the common names in all the SEA languages (romanised Thai included) as well as a description of the trees. The site is: http://www.worldagroforestry.org/sea/products/afdbases/af/index.asp

Regards

I just discovered this interesting thread.

There is an interesting website where most SEA tree species are described. A PC application with a good database is freely available: you can then keep the info on your PC/laptop ... Beside botanical and common english names, you get also the common names in all the SEA languages (romanised Thai included) as well as a description of the trees. The site is: http://www.worldagro...es/af/index.asp

Regards

Thank you for sharing this! smile.png

Could this thread be pinned in this forum?

We have a 40 year old Thai house in central Thailand. The top part is wooden planks 8-10" wide. Extremely aged on the outside, brownish gray but the inside is a rose color. Can anyone guess what type of wood this might be???? I want to know if the old outside can be sanded and restained/oiled but I need a reasonable guess on what type of wood and if it can become beautiful again. I tried to submit a picture but I'm not that smart.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

post-171583-0-04900700-1357823430_thumb.post-171583-0-53159500-1357823441_thumb.post-171583-0-30660900-1357823472_thumb.I attached a picture of the inside of the house showing the redish look of the wood, a close up picture of the outside wall and a wide picture of the house. The close-up shows the grain and aging of the wood.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know its an old thread. Can anyone answer this? What is the wood called that induces sneezing and cold like symptoms when cutting it? Beautiful wood, but nasty to work with. I live in N. Isaan. They call it mai etheuk or mai elam.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Cool thread !!!

Does anybody know if Cedar or similar woods are available in Thailand ?

I like to use Cedar planks for BBQ and smoking (fish/meats) ...

True Value has them, but they are worth their weight in gold there ....

Thanks !!!

luudee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Where does one actually buy these woods ?

Where are you?

I am in Bkk, round where I live there are about 10/12 local timber stores wood yards.

Most of it comes from "wood street/soi" Bkk out near Chatuchak, or Bang Sue in Bkk.

Do a google search for Thaivisa wood street Bkk.

Where does one actually buy these woods ?

Where are you?

I am in Bkk, round where I live there are about 10/12 local timber stores wood yards.

Most of it comes from "wood street/soi" Bkk out near Chatuchak, or Bang Sue in Bkk.

Do a google search for Thaivisa wood street Bkk.

Thanks- Around me in Samut Prakan there are timber yards but they seem to do recycled pallets into furniture and stain it to look like teak ;)

I'm just about to launch into making shelves with parawood/rubberwood - known as mai para or para board to my friendly locals in Chonburi. The first few shelves will be "practise" runs - to be used out back, so no need to be perfect. Later, when I'm satisfied about my workmanship, I shall try for as perfect as possible. I'm staining some, painting others to see what works best - light colour. Anyone feel other light coloured woods would be better for shelves than para?

I'm just about to launch into making shelves with parawood/rubberwood - known as mai para or para board to my friendly locals in Chonburi. The first few shelves will be "practise" runs - to be used out back, so no need to be perfect. Later, when I'm satisfied about my workmanship, I shall try for as perfect as possible. I'm staining some, painting others to see what works best - light colour. Anyone feel other light coloured woods would be better for shelves than para?

I've been looking for parawood/rubberwood to build a work bench with, care to share where you bought yours ?

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

I am looking for a bit of advice. My girlfriend and I have got lots of wood which came from houses that her father owned in Wang Nam Kheow. The land was inside the national park and the government have now taken the land. Long story short we have about 40-60 tonnes of wood sitting in a shed now. The wood that I know about is Mai Daeng and Mai Maka (sorry about the spelling).

Any ideas about what I should do with this as I dont want it to go to waste.

Also anybody know anything about the price of this wood?

Thanks for any help guys.

• 7 months later...

Archived