Thai Language

bucklt

Am moving to Chiang Mai in June 2005 and between now and then want to learn the 'basics' of the Thai language.

Can anyuone recommend any book/tape/cd which they found of help in this matter.

Kind regards

Tony (UK)

As part of my Thai language course, I was given a book entitled "Essential Thai" by James Higbie. It's a large light brown book, foolscap size, and comes with a couple of cassettes. It left me wanting to know more - I guess that's why they gave it as part of the course. It's a start, and there are lots of other "beginners" books out there.

The most useful dictionary I have is by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. It has English to Phonetic and Thai, Phonetic to Thai and English and Thai to Phonetic and English! So, if you hear something, you may be able to find it in this dictionary. It also has a guide to pronunciation, the Thai alphabet and examples of different fonts - which I found very useful as advertisements and everyday products in supermarkets tend to use new fonts, and don't look anything like the formal characters that you learn in the books!

Good luck!

Am moving to Chiang Mai in June 2005 and between now and then want to learn the 'basics' of the Thai language.

Kind regards

Tony (UK)

As part of my Thai language course, I was given a book entitled "Essential Thai" by James Higbie. It's a large light brown book, foolscap size, and comes with a couple of cassettes. It left me wanting to know more - I guess that's why they gave it as part of the course. It's a start, and there are lots of other "beginners" books out there.

The most useful dictionary I have is by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. It has English to Phonetic and Thai, Phonetic to Thai and English and Thai to Phonetic and English! So, if you hear something, you may be able to find it in this dictionary. It also has a guide to pronunciation, the Thai alphabet and examples of different fonts - which I found very useful as advertisements and everyday products in supermarkets tend to use new fonts, and don't look anything like the formal characters that you learn in the books!

Good luck!

I have the Becker dictionary too and can vouch for it's worth. Only complaint I have is the Thai script is shaded so it's a bit hard to read without a serious pair of glasses.

The other book highly recommended is "The Fundamentals of the Thai Language" by James Higbee published by Asia Books. Tried to purchase a copy off Amazon recently that lists the book but they now say it's out of print.

Have it on good reliability that Se-Ed Book Center in Siam Center carries it though. Best of luck! :o

I have the Becker dictionary too and can vouch for it's worth.  Only complaint I have is the Thai script is shaded so it's a bit hard to read without a serious pair of glasses.

:D:D I have a 2 inch magnifying glass on my desk specifically for reading Thai!! :o

The other book highly recommended is "The Fundamentals of the Thai Language" by James Higbee published by Asia Books.  Tried to purchase a copy off Amazon recently that lists the book but they now say it's out of print.

Have it on good reliability that Se-Ed Book Center in Siam Center carries it though.  Best of luck! :D

Thanks for the reminder - I have another book by James Higbie and Snea Thinsan "Thai Reference Grammar - The Structure of Spoken Thai". It's about 450 pages, quite expensive (895 Baht) and designed for "intermediate and advanced level students". I must admit, it's been sitting under a pile of other books and you mentioning Higbie again made me remember it!

I have the Becker dictionary too and can vouch for it's worth.  Only complaint I have is the Thai script is shaded so it's a bit hard to read without a serious pair of glasses.

:D:D I have a 2 inch magnifying glass on my desk specifically for reading Thai!! :o

The other book highly recommended is "The Fundamentals of the Thai Language" by James Higbee published by Asia Books.  Tried to purchase a copy off Amazon recently that lists the book but they now say it's out of print.

Have it on good reliability that Se-Ed Book Center in Siam Center carries it though.  Best of luck! :D

Thanks for the reminder - I have another book by James Higbie and Snea Thinsan "Thai Reference Grammar - The Structure of Spoken Thai". It's about 450 pages, quite expensive (895 Baht) and designed for "intermediate and advanced level students". I must admit, it's been sitting under a pile of other books and you mentioning Higbie again made me remember it!

Thanks Folks for those ideas.

My local library is going to get me 'PDQ Thai' and a 'Linguaphone' course in Thai.

Will give them both a try first before spending money on books which may not turn out to be suitable for me.

In addition,; a Buddhist group has also offered to give me some lessons in both the language itself and Buddhism.

Things are looking up!

p.s would welcome hearing from anyone who is also going to Chiang Mai (or may already be there). Contact me direct.

Thanks again.

Tony

Edited by RDN

Kind regards

Tony (UK)

The best one I found is "Colloquial Thai" A complete language course with 2 cd's (or tapes) and a very good text book. It get's you talking. writing and reading. Particularly worth slogging your way through the written exercises as that's when i found it really sunk in. It's no good just repeating the cd parrot fashion.

If you're still in the UK drop me a PM and i could send you copies of the 2 cd's. The book only costs about £14 if you don't have to buy the set. :o

But, if you're already over, I bought it from Asia Books in Bkk.

Colloquial Thai is dire.

Far better is Teach Yourself Thai by David Smyth (Hodder and Stoughton). It covers all of the essential basics in a clear, consise fashion and unlike many books in the beginners category doen't try to be too clever and therefore doesn't confuse the learner with irrelevent details that you just don't need in the early stages.

Colloquial Thai is dire.

Far better is Teach Yourself Thai by David Smyth (Hodder and Stoughton). It covers all of the essential basics in a clear, consise fashion and unlike many books in the beginners category doen't try to be too clever and therefore doesn't confuse the learner with irrelevent details that you just don't need in the early stages.

An interesting comment!

Where do I go from here then?

Tony

Head to Waterstones and have a look for yourself and see which suits your learning style.

I agree that Teach Yourself Thai is a good beginner's book. Actually the best I have seen so far. ,There are some reservations though:

1. The transcription, based on English spelling, looks terrible and is very far removed from the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). If your ONLY goal is communication and learning Thai specifically, this is not a problem, but if you want to get serious with your Thai studies, the best dictionaries and sources use IPA-based transcriptions. IPA is a great learning aid for other languages too.

Of course, if you learn the Thai writing system, you will not have to worry too much about the transcriptions afterwards, but this typically takes a while.

2. The spoken part of the course escalates very quickly, and after two or three chapters, the dialogues are at almost natural speed, which can be discouraging for a beginner. You could of course argue that this is the best preparation for what awaits you in everyday life situations, but I think a slower progression would have been good. The pace for learning the Thai letters on the other hand, was very good to me.

Still, I recommend this one before the others I have seen, simply because it is restricted to relevant information and introduces natural Thai phrases and discussions about subjects you are bound to encounter in Thailand, both as an expat and as a tourist.

IPA is even more confusing to the non linguist.

It was Smyth's intention to give a simple user friendly transliteration guide which I for one found a lot easier and a lot closer to the mark then other systems used. When used with the tapes (or CDs) as a pronunciation guide, the reliance on the transliteration lessens as well.

One way around this is to work through the script lessons first and then go back and tackle the lessons.

It was Smyth's intention to give a simple user friendly transliteration guide which I for one found a lot easier and a lot closer to the mark then other systems used. When used with the tapes (or CDs) as a pronunciation guide, the reliance on the transliteration lessens as well.

One way around this is to work through the script lessons first and then go back and tackle the lessons.

For non-native English speakers, Smyth's system is impractical, because you first have to suss out the likely RP English pronunciation of his letters, and then try to adapt these to Thai - inevitably inviting minor, and possibly major, pronunciation mistakes (non-trilled, burry ร , vowel glides instead of constant vowel sounds, too deep ("fAther") or too open ("bAd") "อา" sounds etc.)

Tony is from the UK though, so you are probably right this system is more suitable in his case.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a cd-rom from panthip by Eurotalk and it's a fun game style system which is a bit beyond beginners but has some easy parts to it. lots of speaking to improve the listening skills.

For beginners I reccomend the new Becker cd-rom set that goes with the book "Thai for beginners" goes through each chapter with lessons and exercises. makes the book a whole lot better than if used just with the cd/tapes.

poolcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Closing in on 2 years with the missus. I have more intellectual conversations with most bargirls I meet, their English is much better than 'er indoors and my Thai is appalling.

I put the success of our relationship down to the fact that we can't communicate. Basically we're both hiding behind the facade of lust masquerading as love!!! (oh, and she likes the penny benefits as well)

I remember about a year ago some ###### on the other site going on about his Thai ability and how enriching it was understanding Thai talk shows on the telly. Me, I'd rather practice chat up lines with danbo's ISO.

Of course being an aussie pretty much limits the realm of 'interesting and substantial' conversation.

"G,day mate"

"G'day"

"She's farkin hot today"

"Yair farkin hot"

"How's them Crows, ey?"

"Yair farkin Crows won again"

"See ya round"

"Yair, see ya"

"Pom yaak gin hoi"

hmmmmmm

I have been very happy with James Higbie's Essential Thai and Thai Reference Grammar. I am also using Courage Interactive's software, version 1. I find it excellent for learning the Thai alphabet, and working on my reading. It is slow process as I do not put in enough time. Courage has a 2nd version out and I will be ordering it soon. Check out the bookstore at learningthai.com, they have some screen shots from the program. The forums on learningthai.com also have lots of good information.

I have been very happy with James Higbie's Essential Thai and Thai Reference Grammar.  I am also using Courage Interactive's software, version 1.  I find it excellent for learning the Thai alphabet, and working on my reading.  It is slow process as I do not put in enough time.  Courage has a 2nd version out and I will be ordering it soon.  Check out the bookstore at learningthai.com, they have some screen shots from the program.  The forums on learningthai.com also have lots of good information.

You might find these web sites useful:

http://lexitron.nectec.or.th/ - for translating a single word to Thai or English

http://www.thai2english.com/ - for translating a word phrase from Thai to English

Tony is from the UK though, so you are probably right this system is more suitable in his case.

The other problems with non-IPA systems is that there is too much variation in them. For example, to use the transliteration search at thai-language.com, I have to consult the vowel chart. It was for this reason that Sabaijai suggested that we base our transcriptions here on the official transcription. Incidentally, those of you who drive and navigate in Thailand, do you use the transliterations or the Thai? Even as a passenger, I still find it difficult to read the Thai on the signposts quickly enough at road junctions.

To learn IPA you need to not only learn the IPA alphabet but also use a tape to make the correct sounds for some of the characters so its somewhat pointless and over complicated to use IPA to learn Thai.

Why not just use a tape and a decent transliteration system like David Smyth's to learn Thai and get away from depending on the romanisation ASAP?

To learn IPA you need to not only learn the IPA alphabet but also use a tape to make the correct sounds for some of the characters so its somewhat pointless and over complicated to use IPA to learn Thai.

Why not just use a tape and a decent transliteration system like David Smyth's to learn Thai and get away from depending on the romanisation ASAP?

Spoken solely from an English perspective, yes. Not for the other millions of people whose only option is to learn Thai from English-based learning media.