Rats - How To Get Rid Of Them ? Or Make Their Life Unpleasant

sgtpeppers

Ohh rats - my biggest fear in the world. I agree get a couple of cats, I have 6 cats and have never seen a rat or mouse in my house and i leave my door open all the time. When I was in the UK, i use to keep Goats - the rats use to eat away at the thick plastic bins to get at the food, i was petrified, i use to knock on the stable door first to let them know i was going inside, to give them chance to hide. I hate them - if i ever see a rat in my house here, i would move out. Screaming !!!!!!!

• Like 1

I had rats, now i have cats.

It sort of reminds me of the pied piper. Get cats to get rid of the rats. Then dogs to get rid of the cats. Seriously, i did have mice that came in the house. They made nests in the rafters. The glue trays worked but they just kept coming back. Now that i have cats i have not seen a mouse for a long time but some of the cats make a bigger mess than the mice did. They do not carry the disease though so i tolerate the cats.

And Vietnamese to get rid of the dogs!! Problem solved mmmmm yummy.

Loved this post above.

One point about setting traps etc. as implied with the flat tire trick, rodents prefer eating under cover and they also prefer sticking to the cover provided by a wall rather than out in the open. An old cardboard box with two opposite sides cut away is ideal as a short tunnel to set a trap or place poisoned bait.

Out in the countryside having rodents is a great problem as their smell encourages snakes to visit.

As for acids in water pistols - hope you wear goggles.

• 6 months later...
I have a lot of big sloping timbered ceilings with gaps (so the wooden lathes won't twist) and can hear the rats, particularly when it rains. I have a cat and he's very good at demolishing whole any rat coming within his paws. BUT he can't get up a sheer wallface to the 12 metre high ceilings and through the little gaps in the wood. And no, I don't want to start tearing down the wood to make space form him :D I agree that poison is dangerous for the other pets particularly, and the glue thing's old hat, but does anyone know if Thailand has some other creature, ferret/mongoose? which will be able to get through the little holes? I'd invest in one :o

Rats , 2 rats in one year will create a family of ------wait-------12/15,000 rats , that is an average of 1,000 per month , how many do you reckon are in your roof ? You could gas them with a pipe from your vehicle exhaust , but you could not live in your house with the horrific stench of decaying bodies , poison , same deal . They are detered by light , put windows in the ends of the house and use floodlights inside of the roof , mothballs do a terrific job of driving bats out of an attic , rats are of the same family . Where do they get all of the food to feed such a huge number ? You could die from the urine of so many rats , what is the house worth ? Move all of your stuff out and burn the place down , it probably will not be fit to live in soon with the whole roof structure soaked in RATS PISS , thoroughly soak the place in gasoline and have a corn roast . Sound dire ? You my friend are in a dire situation for your future health . :o

• 13 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fighting their entry is a game to them. They don't know you don't want them in there, it's like you are putting a maze out and they are solving a puzzle each time.

The thing to do is put out a platter of food out in the yard at night away from the house. Just try it, swallow your anger. They will stop coming in the house in several days.

Edited by JimTripper

On 7/26/2008 at 3:59 PM, sgtpeppers said:

They have fights in the roof almost every night. They run back and forth at full speed. I wear earplugs.

How awful!

Oh lordy! Just noticed this is from 2008 ...

Edited by BusyB