Few Word, Many Thanks

monkeyinthesugarbowl

Could someone be so kind as to assist me with the following:

lg. family style plate = ???, dish over rice = lat khao (I know)

msg = two-rowht (correct?)

what is the Thai proper name for clear water fish?

what is the general name for Thai 'sweets'?

noodles = mie?

money=ngoen (I cannot get the pronounciation down so i say satang when poss). Can you help?

walk = dern larn (I cannot get the pronounciation down. Can you help?

Can anyone give me some hardcore 'old asia hand' type thai/local tips for buying food in the market? How come I can never find mee krob?

What do I call a woman my age (45) who I am not interested in or is a service worker? What do I call a woman 25-50 who I am interested in? Is it ok to call an older woman 50-60 mae or ma-ma? How would I address her? Calling people men/women Khun always struck me as odd, as in hey you.

'Thainess'=

impolite (rude, not forward) =

return= klap mah (correct?)

look=

bed =

new=

old=

seat=

Many Thanks

Sweets = Khanom

Noodles depends on the kind of noodles. Ba Mee and Guay ti oh, are the most common. Can't stand the things my self.

Money = 'Dang will do. Ngoen can be loosly rhymed with 'learn'

to Walk = Dern (Dern layn is 'to stroll lit. Walk for fun)

As for finding food in the market. Ask a vendor 'Mee ....... Mai Krap/Ka?'

eg 'Mee Mee Grob Mai Krap'

The best way to find out whats what is by trial and error if you want to get a wire range of Thai food under your belt.

Another useful phrase to learn is 'Nee arai Krap?' (whats this?)

If you're not sure of the correct pronoun always use Khun unless there is a very clear gap in social status eg when addressing a child or a servant. A nice get out clause it to ask their name ('Cheu arai Krap?') and substitute that as a pronoun.

Thainess = Kwahm ben Thai

Return is correct there.

Bed = Tee Norn

New = Mai (low tone)

Old = Gair (for a person) Gao (for an object)

Seat = Tee Nang.

Could someone be so kind as to assist me with the following:

lg. family style plate = ???, dish over rice = lat khao (I know)

msg = two-rowht (correct?)

what is the Thai proper name for clear water fish?

what is the general name for Thai 'sweets'?

noodles = mie?

money=ngoen (I cannot get the pronounciation down so i say satang when poss). Can you help?

walk = dern larn (I cannot get the pronounciation down. Can you help?

Can anyone give me some hardcore 'old asia hand' type thai/local tips for buying food in the market? How come I can never find mee krob?

What do I call a woman my age (45) who I am not interested in or is a service worker? What do I call a woman 25-50 who I am interested in? Is it ok to call an older woman 50-60 mae or ma-ma? How would I address her? Calling people men/women Khun always struck me as odd, as in hey you.

'Thainess'=

impolite (rude, not forward) =

return= klap mah (correct?)

look=

bed =

new=

old=

seat=

Many Thanks

MSG - phong[R] choo[M] rot[H] OR 'ayinomoto' (the Japanese name, well known and used in Thailand)

Fresh water fish - plaa[M] nam[H] jeut[L] (fresh water - nam jeut).

I have never heard of "clear water fish", but unless you actually mean "fresh water fish", you could improvise with "plaa[M] nam[H] sai[R]" sai=clear

noodles - guay[R] tiaow[R]. Instant noodles= maa[M] maa[F] . Egg noodles = ba[L]-mee[L]... there are different names for different sizes and manner of noodles, collectively referred to as sen[F].

Impolite = mai[F] su[L]phaab[F] (best) or, stronger, sia man[M]ra[H]yaad[F]

look= doo [M] (see = hen[R])

bed = tiang[M] OR thii[F] nawn[M]

seat= thii[F] nang[F]

M= mid tone

F= falling tone

R= rising tone

L = low tone

H = high tone

I should actually indicate the vowel lengths too since they are important to the meaning of a word (example maai[long, falling] does not mean the same things as mai[short, falling]), but I dont have time right now. 'maai' means 'to burn' and 'mai' is a negation word - not, no, un- and so forth.

meadish_sweetball: Thank you for the time and effort. Well done.

fart: Thanks as well

No, I can order a wide range of food, just always ordered for one or if I am with two, they always just bring the dish.

bartender100: I always try to speak local language even if I am in the country a few days. I am sure I will return to Thailand and even use it as a hub. That said, the days of living here, esp in Pattaya are indeed over for me. Thanks for your concern and help on the topic. You seem to be good like that.