Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Malcolm

Please sign me up. I am currently in outback Australia, heading back to LOS in August. I'm 51, smoke 20 a day of 12mg cigarettes, have been smoking since I was 18. Tried without success a few times, using gum (upset my stomach), patches and Zyban.

I lack will-power, that's the honest truth. Instead of paying 25 baht for a packet of L & Ms in Thailand, I am paying $AU12.60 (378 baht) for a packet of 30s.

Any help offered gratefully received.

Peter

Hi there Malcolm

Please sign me up. I am currently in outback Australia, heading back to LOS in August. I'm 51, smoke 20 a day of 12mg cigarettes, have been smoking since I was 18. Tried without success a few times, using gum (upset my stomach), patches and Zyban.

I lack will-power, that's the honest truth. Instead of paying 25 baht for a packet of L & Ms in Thailand, I am paying $AU12.60 (378 baht) for a packet of 30s.

Any help offered gratefully received.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the group, I'm hoping to get at least 6 people to sign up before closing registration and moving on to step 2. Meanwhile please relax, continue your normal daily routine and feel free to make a post any time.

:o

I've been smoking over 30 years and want,need have to quit because they are really getting to me. Smoke a pack a day here In Thailand and smoke even more when out shooting pool and drinking beer. I'm in to give it an honest effort as I've tried everything except hipno and Zyban but would try that also. Got a 16 month old little girl that I want to be around to see grow up and not have her cpy my coughing. Let me know and I'll watch this thread.

Thanks,

Kringle

I have never smoked even one cig but I was writing the message for my wife.

Anyway.. I am watching this forum for her so sign us up :o

Info: 22 female, 1 pack a day :D

She promised me she would try to stop after Songkran :}

Hi i'm 31 years old and have been smoking since i was 16. I have given up in the past using patches. But i'm finding it difficult to give up in LOS. So cheap. Sign me up. I have cut down from 20 a day to about 7 a day.

I gotta tell you guys, my closest friend stopped smoking 12 years ago after nearly 50 years of smoming, but now, he's looking at a death sentence. He's been diagonsed with lung cancer. He's well educated (had a Phd) and well respected in his field and loved by his wife, children, and grandchildren, yet he's certainly met his match. I give him 18 months at the most. Most likely he will be in poor shape from the surgery when I return to the U.S. in July, and may not be around when I return again in November. IF YOU POSSIBLY CAN, PLEAS STOP SMOKING. It will me a lot more to your family and friends than it will to you. PLEASE.

No kidding. Andt those guys who promote the tobacco products should burn in ######.

RickF

i am not sure what is worse

the smoking or the Thai pollution

I can stop smoking and get clean lungs so i can breath in and really appreciate the Thai Bangkok pollution

or

ideally i should move to the beachside and get lots of fresh air, stop smoking and live a full life

or stop everything and die of stress and boredom

gimme a break

I only smoke 3 sticks a day

do i need to give up?

i am not sure what is worse

the smoking or the Thai pollution

I can stop smoking and get clean lungs so i can breath in and really appreciate the Thai Bangkok pollution

or

ideally i should move to the beachside and get lots of fresh air, stop smoking and live a full life

or stop everything and die of stress and boredom

gimme a break

I only smoke 3 sticks a day

do i need to give up?

3 a day = 21 a week and 1092 a year x 10 yrs = bad health - think about it !!!

Just for those of you who think its impossible. I smoked for 22 yrs, and next week I'll be a full year without so much as a single puff. :o

Two weeks of patches, and about 20km a day on the bike (not the motorised one).

cv

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

Male, age 69, smoking since age 13, approximately a pack a day, sometimes more and seldom less. Do not consume any kind of alcohol due to alcohol allergies.

Cigs in Canada now over $80.00 for a carton, in the USA around $45.00. I just asked via PM what a carton costs over there and if the stores carry the regular non filtered Lucky Strikes.

Have never seriously tried to stop before. All of my friends who did passed away years ago, they were all smokers, they quit and within 5 years, they were gone. That's not an excuse for continuing but it is a fact. Peter Jennings, ABC Network Anchor is a few years younger than me, he quit 20 years ago, now has lung cancer.

This will be a tough one.

I've been smoking over 30 years and want,need have to quit because they are really getting to me. Smoke a pack a day here In Thailand and smoke even more when out shooting pool and drinking beer. I'm in to give it an honest effort as I've tried everything except hipno and Zyban but would try that also. Got a 16 month old little girl that I want to be around to see grow up and not have her cpy my coughing. Let me know and I'll watch this thread.

Thanks,

Kringle

Hi Kringle,

Welcome on board, you are now a registered member of our "Stop Smoking Project" Forum. :o

I have never smoked even one cig but I was writing the message for my wife.

Anyway.. I am watching this forum for her so sign us up :D

Info: 22 female, 1 pack a day :D

She promised me she would try to stop after Songkran :}

Hi Manum,

Sorry, there is no registration by proxy. However you are welcome to watch the thread and pass onto your girlfriend what is being said.

Alternatively, she should register herself and you can act as her interpreter, in this case her posted answers must be her own and we will trust you to make sure that they are.

Sorry for being so harsh, but you cannot quit on her behalf.

Hi i'm 31 years old and have been smoking since i was 16. I have given up in the past using patches. But i'm finding it difficult to give up in LOS. So cheap. Sign me up. I have cut down from 20 a day to about 7 a day.

Hi Jockstrap,

Welcome on board, you are now a registered member of our "Stop Smoking Project" Forum.

34, LM Menthol 1-2 packs per day. Smoking more when borring or stress.

could already stop smoking successfull a couple of times, but started again after 10 days to 3 weeks (or so not sooo successfull). In my office incl. my wife everyone is smoking and cigarrets are all the time in reachable arrea.

Before I made a lot relative extrem sports and I don't want to see the inside of my lung by now......

Please sign me up!

Michael

Hi Malcolm,

Sign me too. I have been smoking for over thirty years. 20 more cigs a day, in fact smoking as I type. Visited my friend in hospital with heart problems yesterday thought I should stop. I saw this post, so I'm motivated TODAY

Similar to a previous poster, I have been a smoker for 20 years, male, averaging I guess a pack a day, ashamed to admit that even having a daughter, who is now 14 months old, has not given me the kick up the arse that I need to quit.

Please register me for the program.

Thanks,

JuniorExpat