Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donx: good luck!!!

I am now 98 days without ciggies, it is running good so far, but still I am not out of danger. I was a couple of times near to take a ciggi.

GOOD LUCK??????????????

I was merely trying to provide words of encouragement and did not expect anyone to take the phrase literally. Please accept my apology for the use of the words "good luck".

Thank you for the encouragement h90. It has been 96 days since I had a cigarette, so you must have quit just a few days before me. However, I have not been nicotine free as you have been. I stopped using the Commit lozenges two days ago, so if it takes 100 hours for my body to remove the nicotine from my system, then it will be this Saturday before I can be considered chemically cleansed of the nicotine. So far so good. I really don't have any desire to smoke a cigarette. I do feel the desire to use the lozenges, but I'm not finding it too hard to resist taking them.

Keep up the good work as well!

I just ran into this forum by incident. It reminds me of the fact that I did quit smoking more than 17 years ago, being a heavy smoker at the time. Two months before I did quit smoking I did quit drinking alcohol, never had any drop alcohol ever after. I once thought I was drinking alcoholfree beer, (which I still sometimes drink and which they don't sell here in Thailand) and realized that it had an alcoholpromillage of 0.5 percent, and spat it out immediately. I think it took me about 2 years to fight off the addiction, both alcohol and nicotine, afterwards it became more easy.

I'm a 49 year old English guy living out here for 20 yrs now, have recently decided it's time to quit but ... can't get past that morning smoke

Yes I need help, so I'll think positive about this program.

Paul Wallis :o

For Keda, Mpdkorat, The Nemi, Philrjones, Jingjingna, Netfan, Stl, Geronimo, Johnboi,

Welcome to the "Stop Smoking Forum".

By making a public declaration that you don't want to be a smoker anymore you have all passed the first step to becoming a non smoker. The second step is self education.

Before you can become an ex-smoker you need to understand your addiction. With this knowledge you will then have the confidence to move onto and maintain Step 3, Cessation.

To police your education each of you will be asked a question(s) or given a task, the answer to which you will find within www.whyquit.com , the professional source of information being used by this forum.

Some reminders:

• Be pro-active within the forum.

• Answer the questions asked.

• Complete the tasks given.

• Move to Step 3 when ever you are ready.

The first task applies to all of you.

Read all instructions then take the WhyQuit's Nicotine Dependency Recovery Quiz which can be found at http://whyquit.com/whyquit/Quitting.htm then post your results on this forum within a reasonable time.

Me too, Malcolm.

Male, 55, 39 of which has seen me smoking between 1-3 packs daily for 35 years, then started rolling my own; now about 30-40 daily. Have tried patches, hypnotherapy, acupuncture, Zyban and several other treatments/courses, all with nil success. Am already suffering the consequences with general ill health, and convinced it boils down to raw will power but game to try anything.

Best result yet was with Zyban, which helped me for 10 weeks, some 4 years ago; then reached for my driver's cigs outside Toul Sleng - and been looking back ever since!

I pledged years back to donate for life a token daily consumption sum of £10 (reduced to 100 baht when I came to LoS) to charity, for each day that I do not smoke beyond a month...yes, my 10 weeks of freedom did reap 4k to the Pattaya Orphanage.

keda

Is the registeration still open ??

Please sign me up.

Well am 26 now and have been smoking since i was 17. So its been 9 years approx. I smoke 25 cigg. a day (Marlboro Red)

Like many in here i also tried quitting but it not even lasted for more than a couple of hours. To be frank i have weak will power to quit. I would also like to say something which is not related to smoking....I also was to quit drinking coz i fear am getting too addicted.

Wish to be counted as a non smoker.

Thanx and best of luck to all.

:D

Nope Scamp. Stinky habit :D

I have a few stinky habits including smoking. I wish I could stop, but I like it. I also like some of my other stinky habits too. :o

Hi all,

Yes I think it's about time I gave up. Male 42, only been smoking for the last 8 years at about 17 a day. Ok, I promise to stop having these stupid cancer sticks, and I start tomorrow. I'll get patches tonight then I officially get started (stopping!) tomorrow!

Phil

PS Good luck to us all! Hey it's good knowing I ain't the only one trying to do this!

Am I too late to join in?

I quit smoking just over three weeks ago. I used to smoke a atleast a pack a day and had done so for the past 20 years!

While it has been a bit difficult at times I am pleased that I have been able to stay off  tobacco.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Not sure what's happening with the project, but I too need to quit. 53 years old, stopped for 13 years while in the states, started again within 6 weeks of moving to LOS 7 years ago. Tried a few times to stop. I smoke about a pack a day, but non-filters (break off Marlboro lights).  I have a target date of the 30th July - going to visit my Thai daughter who I have already told that I quit.

Please include me. I am male, 36 years old and have smoked since the age of 17

also i smook so much and try everything and never stop

smook 3 pack a day

stl

I'm a 49 year old English guy living out here for 20 yrs now, have recently decided it's time to quit but ... can't get past that morning smoke

Yes I need help, so I'll think positive about this program.

Paul Wallis :D

I'm 26 been smoking for about 13 years, living in LOS is taking its toll so I think its time to nip it in the bud. Smoking daily between 20-40.

• 2 weeks later...
Not too good 67%, some interesting facts though.

Hi Johnboi,

Apologies for not coming back to you sooner.

For a score of less than 70% www.whyquit.com tells you:

"Johnboi, smoking kills half of all adult smokers and we don't mean to frighten you but you appear to know very very little about your dependency upon nicotine or the process of recovery. Are you serious about reclaiming your life? If so, then why fight in total darkness when you can turn on the lights? None of us are stronger than nicotine but then nicotine has an I.Q. of zero. Use your mind to take back your life. Let this be a wake-up call."

For your next task, post your answers to the following questions within 14 days, no need to post all answers at one time, you can post them as you find them. Another point, don't rush through the site searching for the answers, read the articles on the way. Also, you can post your answers in any order. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

1. What is Nicotine?

2. Complete the following “ It doesn’t take brute strength or raw courage to quit for the up to 72 hours that may be necessary for our body to become 100% nicotine clean, for 90% of nicotine's metabolites to pass via our urine, and withdrawal to normally peak in intensity. Instead, it takes ……………………………..

3 What are the only two good reasons to take a puff after you have quit?

4. How does whyquit .com response to the following statement:

"It reduces my stress and helps calm me down."

For a clue, the answer starts:

" This health intellectualization is false. The body's pH balance is delicate. Nicotine is an alkaloid and stress an acid producing event. ............................."

5. Complete the two paragraphs that start with "To get a sense of what it feels like to breathe with emphysema ………………………………………."

6. How does Whyquit.com answer the following statement;

"I can't quit alone. I'll need nicotine gum, the patch, hypnosis, acupuncture, magic herbs or other wonder drugs!"

Another clue, the answer starts

"Wrong! The simple truth is that no magic cure has ever " made " any smoker quit smoking nicotine.

7. Post the "Quit Smoking Tip Sheet".

8. Post the date you will quit.

With the exception of Q8, all answers can be found either at or links to

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksBPlanning.html

• 3 weeks later...

I started smoking around 15, if i remember correctly. At 26, after numerous failed attempts, I managed to give it up. It required strong motivation, as in the days and weeks that follow the decision, you will end up justifying everything to yourself very convincingly.

I have always found that the mental addiction is my problem. The habit. Personally i think the physical addiction to nicotine is way overrated, or maybe i'm just lucky that way.

In my mid-thirties the road got very rocky, and i found myself wanting to grab a cig. Eventually i bought a packet, and taught myself to smoke again. It was gross, but somehow i managed to convince myself that it is a stress handling technique. Soon I was happilly on my way to 40-60 a day.

I've just gone through a really bad patch, not being able to eat or drink anything for days, vomiting etc. During this period of course there was no desire for a cig. So nows the perfect time to stop. And I need to.

But i know the mental links remain.. Beer and a cig. Cig in the morn. Coffee. What the ###### do you do with your hands, just sitting there ???

no beat the meat ok...

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

Hi, I'm 55 and my smoking habit is VERY erratic, ranges from smoking as little as 1-2 cigarettes a day but in Thailand I always smoke much more, almost a pack-a-day these days. I haven't tried to quit very much, telling myself that I had it under control but the truth is I don't have it under control. Need help, thinking of trying the patch.

hi Marcgold.sorry your having a problem with the cigs.Its a pity this site dried up because it was a really good idea.I stopped about 3 months ago and although I was stupidly barred from this website at the time,some people gave me some support and good ideas.

I am 50+, previously 40 a day for 30 odd years and was desperate to quit. I tried Quomen[thai version of Zxban] and after a week lost the desire to smoke and so far so good.

Also,it is a good idea to look up whyquit.com .

hi Marcgold.sorry your having a problem with the cigs.Its a pity this site dried up because it was a really good idea.I stopped about 3 months ago and although I was stupidly barred from this website at the time,some people gave me some support and  good ideas.

I am 50+, previously 40 a day for 30 odd years and was desperate to quit. I tried Quomen[thai version of Zxban] and after a week lost the desire to smoke and so far so good.

Also,it is a good idea to look up whyquit.com .

Thanks man I'll buy Quomen today.

I started smoking around 15, if i remember correctly. At 26, after numerous failed attempts, I managed to give it up. It required strong motivation, as in the days and weeks that follow the decision, you will end up justifying everything to yourself very convincingly.

I have always found that the mental addiction is my problem. The habit. Personally i think the physical addiction to nicotine is way overrated, or maybe i'm just lucky that way.

In my mid-thirties the road got very rocky, and i found myself wanting to grab a cig. Eventually i bought a packet, and taught myself to smoke again. It was gross, but somehow i managed to convince myself that it is a stress handling technique. Soon I was happilly on my way to 40-60 a day.

I've just gone through a really bad patch, not being able to eat or drink anything for days, vomiting etc. During this period of course there was no desire for a cig. So nows the perfect time to stop. And I need to.

But i know the mental links remain.. Beer and a cig. Cig in the morn. Coffee.  What the ###### do you do with your hands, just sitting there ???

no beat the meat ok...

There are two things in play here, triggers, and remaining mental addiction. If you want to try this on your own I have had many people tell me of simply having something in their hand that does something . A small rubber ball to just a rubber band. Making use of your hands seems to distract your mind. I have not researched this but at least it is worth a try. If you cant manipulate what is in your hand it just becomes a object and the distraction is less so they say. If it does work please let me know so I can evaluate it as a supplement to my smoking cessation programs.

Every time I pass this topic on the forum index it's like a subliminal message "Stop smoking, stop smoking"!!!!!

And I always seem to have a cigarette in my hand at the time. I tell myself, when I buy a new pack, this is the last packet and then I stop!!!

I've been here before, many times, and have successfully stopped smoking COLD TURKEY for long periods. I just wonder why I can't achieve this again? Why on earth do I start again? I KNOW smoking is bad for me.

Addicted but not hopelessly and hope to be clean one day soon..... :o:D:D

The secret in quitting is to never stop quitting....never stop quitting...even if you back slide...continue to quit...It took me about 5 years to quit...I was quitting the entire time even though I smoke alot during those 5 years.....quittting is one of the best things I ever did in my life....my quality of life is way way better after quitting....keep it up...never stop quitting...

I have tried and tried to giveup time and time again. Always failed. Always lied to myself "Just one wont hurt"

I'm back in Uk, smoking is expensive. I've told myself that I will give up every day. But if I want a cigarette, I will have one.

This has removed the guilt when I do have a smoke.

I have cut down. From 30 a day to average 12 and reducing.

The thing is that I feel proud of myself, not guilty. Even though I am still smoking.

Maybe I will quit, maybe I wont. But I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

I am finding that the craving is reducing, so fingers crossed...........

The secret in quitting is to never stop quitting....never stop quitting...even if you back slide...continue to quit...It took me about 5 years to quit...I was quitting the entire time even though I smoke alot during those 5 years.....quittting is one of the best things I ever did in my life....my quality of life is way way better after quitting....keep it up...never stop quitting...

I have tried and tried to giveup time and time again. Always failed. Always lied to myself "Just one wont hurt"

I'm back in Uk, smoking is expensive. I've told myself that I will give up every day. But if I want a cigarette, I will have one.

This has removed the guilt when I do have a smoke.

I have cut down. From 30 a day to average 12 and reducing.

The thing is that I feel proud of myself, not guilty. Even though I am still smoking.

Maybe I will quit, maybe I wont. But I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

I am finding that the craving is reducing, so fingers crossed...........

Here is somthing that may or not help you.I have always been very competitive.I have never been competitive with myself, but competitive with/against other people.If I went to the Gym, I would always do lots more with a mate, than I would do with myself.As stupid as it sounds, I now think of ciggies as another person that is trying to beat me.So every craving I get...I tell it/them to sod off.I will not (I hope) let it beat me.

It's worked so far. :o

well done,marcgold.now you have to go to the next step.......name the day.Make up your mind,and even if the first doesnt suceed ,try the next.

Read up a little bit on whyquit.com ,there is a lot of information there.

good luck.

Must say that I am a bit disappointed with not smoking - I thought it would bring benefits. I don't feel any better or worse.

I have always been able to easlily stop for 3 days; or more if necessary (such as going on a meditation retreat). Now I am out of Thailand and decided to not smoke at least until I get back to Bangkok. Which will make about 8 months not smoking (over 3 months so far).

All these sites and whatnot said - 'remember what it was like not smoking' etc... but I don't feel any different.

Over a month now and I still get the urge a couple of times a day to be slightly violent...not with the wife though, as she would kick my arse! :D So I kick one of her favorite pillows around the house...the entertainment value of watching her indoors jump up and down as I do it is great too. :D

got to say though...hangovers are not nearly as bad and I don't cough in the morning anymore :o

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know if this is still a live topic, but would be interested to hear from other people who have stopped. I was a 40-60 a day and stopped on September 1st , (so early days yet I know!) now my cough stopped after about 2 weeks, my sleep pattern was stuffed up for about a week, but my throat still hurts (and it feels more like swollen glands than a sore throat). The worst thing is in the morning, my mouth feels horrible and looks horiible, Im brushing my teeth about 5 times a day and getting through Mouthwash like its going out of fashion...is this normal side effect?