Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

Male, age 69, smoking since age 13, approximately a pack a day, sometimes more and seldom less. Do not consume any kind of alcohol due to alcohol allergies.

Cigs in Canada now over $80.00 for a carton, in the USA around $45.00. I just asked via PM what a carton costs over there and if the stores carry the regular non filtered Lucky Strikes.

Have never seriously tried to stop before. All of my friends who did passed away years ago, they were all smokers, they quit and within 5 years, they were gone. That's not an excuse for continuing but it is a fact. Peter Jennings, ABC Network Anchor is a few years younger than me, he quit 20 years ago, now has lung cancer.

This will be a tough one.

Hi pjallittle,

Welcome on board, you are now a registered member of our "Stop Smoking Project" Forum.

Please relax, you are not alone.

:o

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

Dear Malcolm

If it is not too late, I would like to register :o

I often find that, despite trying to give up, it only happens when I want to i.e. when I have consciously and subconsciously decided and make myself aware of my actions.

I am a 34 year old female and currently smoke less than a pack of Marlboro Lights a day. I have given up on a few occassions, mostly when I am changing my daily routine; such as going on a visa run, flying to another country, or completely changing my whole timetable (including not seeing friends for social drinks - I have gone that far before!). I read The Easy Way to give up Smoking by Allan Carr and stopped for 3 months, but didn't take his advice of keeping the book with me at all times - I leant it to my sister so she could give up too!

I am hoping this thread will give me the inner power to quit these cancer sticks. Thank you for helping me with this chance as I know my willpower won't pull me through alone.

Nam

Sign me up.

I am 60 and smoked since I was 13. Had a quad bypass at 48. Now have emphysema and smoke 30 cigarettes per day.

I have quit a few times for a few weeks or few months but find I can't stand the misery. It does not get easier for me as the time goes by, it gets more difficult, even after 9 months. I quit for 9 months after the bypass out of fear. But the misery outweighed the fear.

Tried most things, even hypnotism... It is not the quitting that is so difficult, it is living with the craving that I cannot stand.

Ravisher.

Hi Ravisher,

Welcome on board, you are now a registered member of our "Stop Smoking Project" Forum.

SIGN ME UP!!!

I'm a 31 yr old female from Victoria, Australia. I smoked for 6 yrs then gave it up but started again after my marriage dissolved! Now i can't stop, i think it's lack of support or the actual motivation but i hate it!

Kate

Sign me up... with reservations - I want to know what the program is first.

I'm 35, male, and get through a pack of LM Greens a day same as Michael (h90) - and if he can do it, so will I.

I regularly stop for a few days, but it is mostly boredom that makes start again. There's just nothing to have/do without a smoke.

Hi Dear Malcolm

If it is not too late, I would like to register too. I am 56 have smoked 1 pack per day since I was a kid, just moved to a new job in Lao( not stressful but I am away from family) Just another reason to smoke more. I do suffer problems from chest, but still cant give up the coffin nails. :o

as a smoker for 27 years, i tried different ways to stop it. nothings worked. than i found a book about positive thinking. and i could stop the smoking within 1 minute. and never smoking now for 18 years. very easy to say : "i am a non-smoker." or: "why do i hold a cigarette? - i am a non smoker", or "i am free and there is no need for me to burn this waste."and it works.

Hello, please sign me up for the programme;

I am 35 years old, smoke since I was 16 and recently succeeded to stop for 3 months, but unfortunately started again in a period of stress;

so I could use some help...

3 a day = 21 a week and 1092 a year x 10 yrs = bad health - think about it !!!

i think 3 minutes prathumwan is more as one box cigarettes .. hehe

anyway .. iam smoking 1,5 box per day (31 years old) since iam ~16 ...

no plan to stop .. but maybe the "test" will change taht ...

Hi i'm 31 years old and have been smoking since i was 16. I have given up in the past using patches. But i'm finding it difficult to give up in LOS. So cheap. Sign me up. I have cut down from 20 a day to about 7 a day.

Hi Jockstrap,

Its Jockstar by the way. I do hope i can quit. Thanks for this thread.

Hi there

I am a man, age 44,and i smoke abaut 40 pr day. That is Pall Mall

Bjarne

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

Hi

Hi i'm 31 years old and have been smoking since i was 16. I have given up in the past using patches. But i'm finding it difficult to give up in LOS. So cheap. Sign me up. I have cut down from 20 a day to about 7 a day.

Hi Jockstrap,

Its Jockstar by the way. I do hope i can quit. Thanks for this thread.

Aplogies for that, :D

Been smoking tooooo... long, 15 to 20 a day since I was 16 and now I'm 44.Gave up for 1 year before coming to Thailand. Cheap smokes, going to pool bars and drinking more than normal didn't help increase consumption of the dreaded cancer sticks. Not looking for excuses for my weakness.

It's time to give up.

'Sign me up, Scotty.'

Hi! Add me please. I'm 34 yo male, smoke 17 years, now at about 30 cigs a day. Tried to quit 3 times - tried gum :o , patches, and most recent tme - Zyban :D - it worked!!!....for 3 months, and now I'm back. It's a love-hate relationship I have wth cigs - regretfully it seem to last a looooong time.

Please sign me i'm a 20-40 a day or am I a hopeless case, I hope not, but I am willing to go through ###### & HIGH WATER to stop.

I am with you guys.

Peace happiness and a smoke free envirnment because living in CM I'n moking probably the equilavent of 100 a day HELP

I played decent level sport all my younger days, I smoked and was always breathless and gasping after a workout. At 42yo after seeing my best friend have open heart surgery, I stopped smoking and took up jogging to avoid an increase in weight, 12 months later I ran a 3hr 10 min marathon, I can only say one thing about smoking " DONT".

I am 58, from 1-2 packs per day for about 8-years, a few years after I moved to Thailand. Stopped once after a doctor prescribed some pills (found out later they were anti-depressants with significant side effects even though the doc said there were none).

The curious thing is after starting the regime for three months I had absolutely no interest or missed smoking, never figured out why I started again.

great idea mate, gave up about 8 years ago for similar reasons to others young child I wanted to see grow up Keep with the program folks was up to between 40/60 a day didn't think I could do it but haven't looked at a smoke since

This is very simple actually.

Just send the whole group to a poor run down hospital room full of old men dieing of emphysema.

That will drive the point home.

I was trapped in a room all night with 11 other old men in that condition and believe me it was no party.

Watching the doctors cut open the throat of one old man and insert a tube while his whole family was surrounding him only for the man to die shortly after words was quite an experience.

If you still want to smoke after you see this then you are just suicidal and the group should offer a loaded gun to get thing moving a little faster!

I support all people to either stop smoking or at least only do it inside their own homes only!

And only if no children are living in the house only too!

Other wise you are just a selfish suicidal ass hole and should be taken out in the back forty and shot fair and square!

I am 58, from 1-2 packs per day for about 8-years, a few years after I moved to Thailand.  Stopped once after a doctor prescribed some pills (found out later they were anti-depressants with significant side effects even though the doc said there were none).

The curious thing is after starting the regime for three months I had absolutely no interest or missed smoking, never figured out why I started again.

Hi tywais,

Are you asking to be registered? Registration is for people who know thay want to stop, you sound as if you are not sure?

please sign me up as well! female, 36 yrs, smoking since 13, 1-2 packs marlboro lights a day since my early 20's, before a little less. managed to quit once 9 yrs ago for 6 months, did not have any withdrawal problems but started again to overcome exam stress :D

smoke mostly at home when at the puter and after meals, first in the morning, last before sleep, when on a night out, at work, etc etc

hate the smell, hate the look, hate full ashtrays, hate to always needing to carry a bag to put cigs in - hate everything about smoking and find it really stupid but still not enough to quit :D

if this works - :o