BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
malcolminthemiddle

Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

Female...30 on Wednesday....born with a cigarette in my mouth.....gave up for 2months last year.....LOVE smoking :o:D ....partner HATES it..... tried gum earlier this year but just got belly aches which made me smoke more!! Any help for me???? :D

So you love smoking?

This may be the most deeply engrained rationalization of all as it has a solid basis in the following flawed denial logic. "I don't do things that I don't like to do." "I smoke lots and lots of cigarettes." "Therefore, I must really enjoy smoking," instead of the correct conclusion, "therefore, I must really be chemically addicted to smoking nicotine." Did you enjoy being the unaddicted "you" or have you forgotten what it was like to live comfortably inside a mind that does not crave for nicotine? If you cannot remember what it was like being "you" then what basis do you have for honest comparison? If you truly enjoyed being addicted to nicotine then why are you here reading these words? Is it that you liked smoking or that you liked not having to experience what occurred when you didn't smoke - withdrawal? Studies have long ranked nicotine as a more addictive substance than either heroin or cocaine. In fact, cocaine's generally recognized addiction rate among regular users is 15% while nicotine's addiction rate of over 70% is at least five times as great. Imagine convincing your mind that it " likes " being addicted to the drug that addiction scientists now rank as the most addictive substance on all of planet earth. We are nicotine addicts . A pack a day smoker smokes 7,300 cigarettes each and every year. How many of your last 7,300 nicotine fixes did you really enjoy ? How many of the next 7,300 will bring tremendous joy to your life? Isn't it time to be honest?

From www.whyquit.com

Was smoker for 20 years 20 cigs a day but quit 3weeks back and so far am good and sober.

If you want quit it could - this is my experience. I just quit like that, no planning - nothing. 3 weeks back I said to my self if I can not quit smoking then am good for nothing fella..

My 2.5 year old baby is happy - papa does not smell ciggy any more and my wife is too happy, I bring smile in many faces - just by quitting

I tried on and off for years to quit, zyban, patches, hypnotics you name it. So now after 30 yrs puffing and working up to a pack and a half a day, I found myself gasping for air when swimming with my daughter, coughing badly and generally f**d, xcuse my french.

A week ago I decided that was it, and bought the patches. I decided to reduce my smoking to 10% of my daily intake, which by then gave me 4 a day. ( we all lie about how much we smoke, here I sahre the truth). SO day 1 came and went, I decided not to smoke until 12 mid day, and not after 6, which means no cigs at home either. Day one went fine, so did 2, three I was playing at a blues club, and smoked an extra4 in the evening. Remember I didnt decide to quit, I decided to reduce my intake.

yesterday I hit a full 24 hours without a cig. I didnt plan it that way, it just happened, and today, its noon and I have no real desire for a cig.

I hope this works for me, and just wanted to share it with you guys, I have REDUCED my smoking, so I dont feel guilty for having one, I simply dont want one now. I wont be goign to the local blues jam tonight, so the next challenge will be monday, tomorrow morning at work, and wednesday eve when I am playing ina pub again.

Good luck everyone,

My husband used to cough with black tar mixed in the phlegm when he was smoking now the tar from the cigaratte is no longer seen. He has stopped smoking for about 5 years now.

We used to fight a lot over his smoking habits :D because I don't smoke and I don't like sleeping with an ash tray, I want to sleep with my husband :o

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

Sign me up please and let me know the details etc and when the program starts.

Edited by chiang mai

Chiang Mai,

You have already taken the first step to quitting by declaring you want to quit.

You must now take the second step which is to understand why you smoke.

So why do you? Post your answer here.

You will find the answer here www.whyquit.com

This is a sincere question, if you want help to quit, make the effort to post a genuine answer.

Chiang Mai,

You have already taken the first step to quitting by declaring you want to quit.

You must now take the second step which is to understand why you smoke.

So why do you? Post your answer here.

You will find the answer here www.whyquit.com

This is a sincere question, if you want help to quit, make the effort to post a genuine answer.

Hi, I did look at this thread some time back and thought I should join in at a later date. Anyhow I stopped smoking on August 3 2006 when I flew back to UK for a 5 week break. I was not going to pay those ridiculous prices. Have been helped by the nicorette chewies and up to now all has gone well.But recently returned to my home in Issan after a month in the UK and several months in Bangkok, now settled in my home and begin painting (pictures) again. Suddenly I find I spend a lot of time thinking about a cigarete, I always used to stop work on a painting sit down with a cigarette and think about the work in progress, and I think I miss this. I do not intend to give up the fight now, but is'nt it a strange business....... :o

Just for those of you who think its impossible. I smoked for 22 yrs, and next week I'll be a full year without so much as a single puff. :o

Two weeks of patches, and about 20km a day on the bike (not the motorised one).

cv

Three Years Now :D

I'm on day two without any nicotine. I moved from cigaretes to "snuss" or 'chew' as Americans call it about 6 months ago. What I didn't realise was that it is much stronger in nicotine. I found it much the same as the nicotine patches(which never worked before) in that I could control how much I tapered down with. Yesterday, I decided that I was low enough and cold-turkeyed. I woke up in the middle of the night with the feeling of ants on my face and neck. There were none of course. I had similar withdrawals to that of other drugs. Kinda a mixture between valium and ampetamines. Nicotine is not the worst drug to come off. I believe methadone to be the worst by far, followed by benzodiazepines.

I'm going to search this forum to try to find ways to help stay off.

The thing that got me to quit was probably praying in the mornings for about a week to have the courage to quit.

Right now I'm feeling very agitated and short-tempered - any recommendations or advice?

I've tried eating lots of ice-cream, in fact lots of everything.

14 years. I had one session of hypnotherapy and stopped dead although Allen Carr's book is a good read.

What a great thread! :o

I just happened to quit exactly 2 weeks ago, so I might as well sign up. I had been smoking for 10 years since I was 13 years old, and for the last couple of years, it's been around 30 a day. I was moving apartments and thought of it as a good opportunity to kick the habit. (Also, my girlfriend was nagging me :D ). I guess my goal is to go one entire year without a drag, though at this point, it seems alot easier than 12 days ago.

Currently I'm not smoking or rather very little maybe 2 a week (not 2 packs). I stopped smoking for 3 months in 2006 and I stopped smoking for 2 months this year so far. I have used all the aids but in the end it is always the enjoyment of smoking I given into. I have been smoking between 15 to 30 cigarette's a day for around 28 years on and off. I believe everyones case is different and different techniques work for different people. I think I am more aware of the dangers of smoking than most people and I am aware of the myths but it does not deter me. I worked for a tobacconists when I was in med school and I actually learned a lot about tobacco including that not all tobacco has the same effect on the body, different tobaccos attack different parts of the body but again it has not deterred me in any way. In any event I would very much like to join your group and give stopping completely another chance.

Can one still join the group?

I stopped twice in my life. Once for 2 years and once for 6 yrs. It was easy. Now, I find it difficult to even reduce my smoking from 2 packs a day.

Jerry, Phuket

Currently I'm not smoking or rather very little maybe 2 a week (not 2 packs). I stopped smoking for 3 months in 2006 and I stopped smoking for 2 months this year so far. I have used all the aids but in the end it is always the enjoyment of smoking I given into. I have been smoking between 15 to 30 cigarette's a day for around 28 years on and off. I believe everyones case is different and different techniques work for different people. I think I am more aware of the dangers of smoking than most people and I am aware of the myths but it does not deter me. I worked for a tobacconists when I was in med school and I actually learned a lot about tobacco including that not all tobacco has the same effect on the body, different tobaccos attack different parts of the body but again it has not deterred me in any way. In any event I would very much like to join your group and give stopping completely another chance.

Can you give any significant examples for you knwowledge , it is interesting to learn from that .

Anyway the best is to stop anyway , I also stopped and started again , I enjoy it too but I know it is bad and need to get my mind to tell me I do not like it anymore.

Great thread by the way !