Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

Cheers, i look forward to my question.

Hello again tukyleith,

Thanks to you to for being so patient.

Here is your question.

Complete the following statement:

"I am addicted to a substance that is five times as addictive as cocaine (15% vs. 75%). I may be strong enough to cut back a bit but I'll remain addicted, ..................................................."

.....................the decay will continue and a recent study indicates that my health risks will remain unchanged. Because I am a 2 pack-a-day nicotine smoker and after I quit I decide to smoke just one cigarette, I might as well get ready to smoke the other 7,300 for the year too as full and complete relapse is virtually assured. The Law of Nicotine Addiction is simple - one puff of new nicotine and it's over! Yes, 95 to 97% of those who smoke nicotine from just one cigarette will immediately or soon thereafter experience full and complete relapse back to their prior level of nicotine intake or higher.  My addiction permanently transformed my brain into a highly efficient nicotine processing machine capable of generating a steady output of dopamine. Quitting is a process where my brain learns to function without the extra dopamine but it does not alter My processing potentials.  After quitting, the jail remains but is empty and I'm on probation for life!

Basically...WHEN I quit, Need to remember one thing...NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF

Thanks Malcolm, I really want to quit.

Don't worry, i understand the connection thing. It can be hard for us all at times to stay connected.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wake up call?

A picture says a thousand words...

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/vonBehrens_big.jpg

but seeing as the photo is copyrighted I will not post it here,

The article is "Gruen Von Behrens' Missing Jaw"

This could well be me. I realised that if it was me how could I live?

I have a 14 month old girl, a wonderful wife and a great future.

I am going to quit.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_NicodemonsLies.html

The effects of drinking and stress upon our body's nicotine level are the same. You smoke more when you drink not because you "like" to but because you MUST in order to keep your body's nicotine level within the comfort range, so that it does not experience the symptoms of early withdrawal. When you drink alcohol it causes your urine to become acidic. The acid causes nicotine to be drawn from your blood at an accelerated rate. Thus, the more you drink, the more nicotine you'll need to ingest to avoid the anxiety of early withdrawal. Although early alcohol use contributes to destroying a great many quit attempts, understanding the nicotine-acid relationship can be of benefit in accelerating physical nicotine withdrawal so that quitters can begin feeling relief sooner. Acidic fruit juices, such as cranberry, may help reduce the normal 72 hours of withdrawal required to remove all nicotine from the blood. If at all possible, don't drink during the first few days of your quit. When you do decide to drink, drink at home without cigarettes around before testing your resolve around smokers. By doing so you'll help to break the your mind's psychological link between smoking and drinking, with as little risk as possible. As millions of ex-smokers can attest, your beer or drinks will taste better than ever once your taste buds are allowed an opportunity to heal.

Thanks for the hint and I think this is the correct way to do this. Makes sense as I smoke one right after another when I'm drinking in the bar, but do seem to not do this at home when drinking. I don't drink at home so much but when I do I know I don't smoke as much. Had a bad coughing bout the other day and when I blew my nose there was blood present so it really scared me. I gotta give these frickin things up.

I gave up about 18 years ago and havn't had one since, no patches around then , just determination and will power.

It's not as if you have to do something, it's a matter of not doing something.

Good luck to all who try :o

Now I am back in the widerness and as you can see my internet connection has been restored.

Step 2 will come to an end midnight today, Monday 18th.

Tomorrow, I will post the first non smoking day for those of you who haven't quit already.

Apologies to those that did not receive a question, in any case by now whyquit.com should have answered all your own personel demons.

For those that received a question but did not answer, I shall assume you have either quit or preferred to go through Step 2 anonymously.

Till tomorrow.

................. i smoked less than usuall  ..............smoked one before cooking lunch .......................smoked a cig every 30-40 minutes or so when i took a break  ......................so i at least managed to 'only' smoke 15 cigs yesterday ........................... I only smoke ....................? :o

Hi Elfie,

Thanks for being so patient: I know you've been watching and active in the forum, but that doesn't excuse you from homework!

Your question is:

"Why do you choose to smoke?"

Hi Elfie,

Forgive me if I am jumping the gun.

I was surprised that we did not see an answer to your question "Why do you choose to smoke".

Unlike many of the other posters, you had not once declared that you actually wanted to quit. Yes, you said you hated everything about smoking, but never that you wanted to quit.

Would I be right in saying that you are smoking because it is your choice and you choose to smoke?

If that is the case and that is your answer then whyquit.com says:

" It's a lie and you know it! You lost your "choice" and the ability to simply walk away the day that nicotine feedings became mandatory. The only choice you have now is how EARLY you feed the beast within. The ignorant nicotine addict still believes the "choice" myth pounded into their brain by an endless stream of highly effective tobacco company marketing. All the pretty colored boxes, the displays, the sea of ads, how often have you seen any smoker switch brands? It's a well set trap from teens and a way to keep you from looking at the man behind the curtain - nicotine. You uneducated smoker associated smoking with the newspaper, coffee, travel, stress, other smokers, telephone calls, meals, celebrations, romance, or even as a necessary step prior to walking into a store. The educated nicotine addict sees all nicotine fixes as either mandatory, or an early feeding, in order to avoid the onset and discomfort of chemical withdrawal. You smoke nicotine after a meal because it's time for a nicotine feeding and you smoke before a meal because it isn't polite to feed yourself nicotine and food at the same time. If your regular feedings are spaced thirty minutes apart, at least every thirty minutes you're going to start sensing the need for more nicotine regardless of the activity. "

thats here a kind of sleeping forum. Not much posts for so many people.

Hey guys, how long do you want to consider, read nice academic statements about the sense of not smoking and basically do nothing.

I read about malcoms great idea, agreed with everything, read the WhyQuit webpage and got really bad feeling there, saw this picture of the guy with the broken body. Thought, "enough is enough" and stopped smoking in the hope to do it with the support of a great community.

I am now 7 days 14 hours without smoking and even I am not out of risk, this shows clearly that it is possible. The Quit Counter is telling me, that I didn't smoke 305 cigarettes.

So do you want to stop smoking or do you want to discuss stop smoking.

For everyone who is in the middle of a package or has stock at home, there is no need to finish that first. My staff here are heavy smokers and they happily take donations of opend packages. My last half package LM green was happily finished by them.

I wish you a lot of luck!

The first 3 days are the ######, but now after 7 days, it is not very difficult anymore.

A friend of my mother died from lung cancer and it was real ###### for 6 month, she had no choice anymore, you guys still have the choice 3 days a little bit ###### or 6 month ######- ultra edition -

Step 3 Cessation

By now you should all have realized that it is not smoking you are addicted to but nicotine, cigarettes are just a mechanism for delivering the drug.

You should now realize that you are an addict for life and once you quit you must NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF if you are to remain nicotine free, you will always remain on probation.

I hope the last couple of weeks have been beneficial to everyone, now is the time when you must stand up for yourself and take your own life in your own hands.

I'm setting the first non smoking day for next Monday, April 25th, 2005.

I would say good luck to you all but luck is not the answer, luck cannot quit for you and luck cannot keep you nicotine free.

Only you can do that.

Yeah - I am waiting for the date. Ready and willing to stop along with others. I'm going to set my own date if it is not set soon, but that would be a shame as there is an added impetus if a group do it together.

To be fair, it seems that makcolm is busy and has limited internet access. Lets not lose the momentum....

Here is the status of the forum as I read it today, please check and let me jnow if you disagree.

I reviewed your list and found that I was 7'th to join but quite a few of us have been bypassed with no questions, assignments or other nudges. Clearly, you have been very busy interacting with others, so I guess the only alternative for me and others yet to be addressed is to step forward and say something.

So, how about it? When do you get around to the rest of us? I think that it's great that you've set this up but suggest that you might take a look at your time apportionment, maybe there's too many of us?

For what it's worth, I've gone the cold turkey route from the day I signed up and had all but forgotten about this until today. I may possibly have smoked for more continuous years (56) than any of the candidates and had never seriously tried to stop before.

It hasn't been easy, it helps to be part of a group that's all going in the same direction.

pjallittle: did I get that right, you smoked for 56 years :D

more years than I am old :o

and you stoped now? I am really impressed, how small my problems to stop must have been in compare to yours!

Gratulation!!!!

For all others:

I do not understand here why everyone is waiting for getting a green light from malcolm. Malcom started this great idea, he can give you a kick, but he CAN NOT stop smoking for you.

If malcoms computer brakes down everyone continue smoking forever.

If you all continue, it is not malcoms lung who get a problem it is yours.

I really not get you guys, you read the whyquit homepage, you are shocked about what you read there, take the next puff and wait if malcom orders you to smoke or not to smoke.

Out of arround 30 people 3 stoped, and the other took as excuse to continue that malcom did not tell to stop.

My idea is, everyone who take that serious: stop smoking, now and post it!

Wolfi did it

pjallittle did it

h90 did it

I guess pandit35 will do it tonight

and it is now up to you to make the list longer

h90: 7 days 19 hours not smoking!!!!

Here is the status of the forum as I read it today, please check and let me jnow if you disagree.

I reviewed your list and found that I was 7'th to join but quite a few of us have been bypassed with no questions, assignments or other nudges. Clearly, you have been very busy interacting with others, so I guess the only alternative for me and others yet to be addressed is to step forward and say something.

So, how about it? When do you get around to the rest of us? I think that it's great that you've set this up but suggest that you might take a look at your time apportionment, maybe there's too many of us?

For what it's worth, I've gone the cold turkey route from the day I signed up and had all but forgotten about this until today. I may possibly have smoked for more continuous years (56) than any of the candidates and had never seriously tried to stop before.

It hasn't been easy, it helps to be part of a group that's all going in the same direction.

Hi pjallittle,

Sorry for that.

When Step 2 started I asked everyone not to sit on the fence, be pro-active and contribute. This is going to be a team effort, support each other, ask any questions you may have and offer any opinions.

Unfortunately, after closing registration a number of members, including yourself, appeared "non active" and I was not sure whether these people were still participating, consequently I did tend to focus on those members who were actively taking part.

No harm done. So that you don't feel left out, how does whyquit.com answer this question.

"It's too late now to heal these lungs"

I give you a clue, the answer starts

" Nonsense! If you have not yet caused permanent lung damage you should ..............................................."

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

I am a cigarette addict since I was ~18, and now am 56 and smoking a pack of Marlboro per day.

Even when 20 or so years ago I had a cardiac event, spend several weeks in hospitals (the treatment of venous blood vessel expansion), sanatoriums, etc. and still was stealing a puff here and there.

I have tried to really stop smoking just once a couple of years ago. The occasion was a birth of my (first child) daughter, she is now two and half. My wife was 6-8 months pregnant at that time. I didn't smoke for maybe a couple of weeks, then one puff after another... and I can't quit completely and revert to smoking even more aggressively.

I need that puff especially when I'm working on my computer, thinking, stressful... can't do it well without a cigarette - the crave is too strong. I also drink a lot of black (turkish) coffee.

I have a motivation (the thought of quitting cigarettes always on my mind) and I wish to have a mental power to quit smoking forever, the same as I did with other addictions.

My "Wake Up Call" is actually my daughter, she is more than enough reason for me to quit smoking.

So, I want to let you know, even as an outsider, I want to join the group of stop-smokers now. Can't sleep, my hopefully last puff was at 03:00 on Wed Apr 20, 2005.

P.S.

h90, would appreciate a link to the program you're using to count the time and saved cigarettes (PM me please, if you can't post it here).

http://www.msnusers.com/FreedomFromTobacco...quitmeters.msnw

and there Harrys Quitcounter.

Hope the link works, else I put it on my server :-)

The software is a bit silly, but I love it!

On the beginning it gratulate I think every hour that you could do it one more hour.

Now I think all 100 THB saved money, what is a bit stupid, because cigs are so cheap here, that I could easily finance my two packs a day.

I had this with the computer also. The trick is to not take one puff and keep the possibility of one puff completely out of your mind. Since I stopped I drink more coffee, all the time green tea, a lot of beer, a lot of soda.

Now all the time I start drinking something instead of taking a cig and the lighter.

Well, the other time I am on the toilet :o:D:D

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

I am a cigarette addict since I was ~18, and now am 56 and smoking a pack of Marlboro per day.

Even when 20 or so years ago I had a cardiac event, spend several weeks in hospitals (the treatment of venous blood vessel expansion), sanatoriums, etc. and still was stealing a puff here and there.

I have tried to really stop smoking just once a couple of years ago. The occasion was a birth of my (first child) daughter, she is now two and half. My wife was 6-8 months pregnant at that time. I didn't smoke for maybe a couple of weeks, then one puff after another... and I can't quit completely and revert to smoking even more aggressively.

I need that puff especially when I'm working on my computer, thinking, stressful... can't do it well without a cigarette - the crave is too strong. I also drink a lot of black (turkish) coffee. 

I have a motivation (the thought of quitting cigarettes always on my mind) and I wish to have a mental power to quit smoking forever, the same as I did with other addictions.

My "Wake Up Call" is actually my daughter, she is more than enough reason for me to quit smoking.

So, I want to let you know, even as an outsider, I want to join the group of stop-smokers now. Can't sleep, my hopefully last puff was at 03:00 on Wed Apr 20, 2005.

P.S.

h90, would appreciate a link to the program you're using to count the time and saved cigarettes (PM me please, if you can't post it here).

Hi pjallittle,

Sorry for that.

When Step 2 started I asked everyone not to sit on the fence, be pro-active and contribute. This is going to be a team effort, support each other, ask any questions you may have and offer any opinions.

Unfortunately, after closing registration a number of members, including yourself, appeared "non active" and I was not sure whether these people were still participating, consequently I did tend to focus on those members who were actively taking part.

No harm done. So that you don't feel left out, how does whyquit.com answer this question.

"It's too late now to heal these lungs"

I give you a clue, the answer starts

" Nonsense!  If you have not yet caused permanent lung damage you should ..............................................."

I'll start by Pasting in what whyquit.com had to say on the subject of "it's too late now to heal these lungs" which is answered as follows:

Nonsense!  If you have not yet caused permanent lung damage you should expect to experience an almost one-third increase in overall lung function within just 90 days of quitting!  It's amazing how much damaged lungs can repair themselves unless disease or cancer have already arrived.  Even with emphysema, although destroyed air sacks will never again function, quitting now will immediately halt the needless destruction of additional tissues!  You only have two options - decay or heal.  Which cigarette in which pack will carry the spark that gives birth to that first cancerous cell ?
With no intention of raining on this parade, bearing in mind that I've now been cigarette free since joining (7'th on the list) I would consider this answer to be intellectually dishonest. After saying that it is Nonsense, the author goes on to make the case that "it's amazing how much damaged lungs can repair themselves unless disease or cancer have already arrived."

Immediately thereafter, the author says that if you already have emphysema that it is essentially irreversible, the destroyed air sacks will never again function. Does that sound like healing?

There is not a single comment which illustrates "healing" as it is clearly the case that he's really only talking about forestalling further pathology and/or decay. But that is not "healing" it is just halting a progression toward the more serious pathological changes that will occur, it won't reverse damaged tissues, it will only "save" those which remain intact. Again, that is not "healing" which connotes a repairing process. The fact is, IT IS TOO LATE as corroborated by the author's own commentary.

With the above in mind, I wouldn't be involved in this project if I didn't believe that the intent, purpose and common sense considerations were not worthy of everyone's attention, of that there's no doubt. But, on the other hand, it always rankles me when advocates resort to this kind of distortion as a means to an end, notwithstanding that the "end" process may be laudable.

Nor do I accept the notion that your inattentiveness to the rest of us who patiently awaited the assignments which you said would be made should be classified as uninterested parties who left you wondering whether we were still participating. That's just blame shifting, you have demonstrably waxed eloquent and deserve credit for doing so........but you could easily have apportioned your time to round out the balance of us who were simply polite enough to wait our turn.

Please don't view this as antagonistic, it's intended to point a few things out to you that, if taken in the proper spirit, will make this project even more satisfying.

^^^^^^^^^^

Someone is getting cranky without their ciggies....

To the contrary, not the least bit cranky, just calling it the way I see it. Credit is given where due and criticism made when justified. Check the record yourself, you can easily see that large numbers of those who joined were ignored. I'm just calling attention to facts, that isn't being a crank.

I'm not trying to win any popularity contests and in objecting to something that ought to be plain as day, if that makes me a bad guy, so be it, but at least I'm being honest about it and won't make any hollow excuses.

Sorry that you don't see it that way, but offer no apologies for suggesting what I have.

pandit35:

You still smoke, right?????

I would (if I would be in your position, but luckily I am not because I stopped smoking already) first stop smoking before I write things like that.

In opposite to you, pjallittle stopped smoking already. Maybe he getting cranky without ciggis.

But you sit with your ciggis in your mouth in a "Stop Smoking Project" and comment how people behalf without their ciggies. Maybe you missed the point of the project, it is a "stop smoking project" not a "stop cranky project".

Somehow when thinking for you I have these 2 old guys from the Mupped (spelled like that??) show in mind, who sit there and giving comments.

^^^^^^^^^^

Someone is getting cranky without their ciggies....

pjallittle:

There is not a single comment which illustrates "healing" as it is clearly the case that he's really only talking about forestalling further pathology and/or decay. But that is not "healing" it is just halting a progression toward the more serious pathological changes that will occur, it won't reverse damaged tissues, it will only "save" those which remain intact. Again, that is not "healing" which connotes a repairing process. The fact is, IT IS TOO LATE as corroborated by the author's own commentary.

sure that is propaganda for the stupid. But sure the function is increasing, alone when the dirt goes away from the surface and I think some place out of function due to blocking will get into business again. Also I am sure some chronical reversible problems will improve. Sure you can call it healing.

There are really a lot of articels which are wrong if you discuss it in the deep (I have a master degree in Biotechnologie). As well it is well known that most studies about smoking (as well for drinking) have their results already before they were made.

But that does not change anything on that fact that it is not good for the body....

pjallittle:
h90 responded saying:

sure that is propaganda for the stupid. But sure the function is increasing, alone when the dirt goes away from the surface and I think some place out of function due to blocking will get into business again. Also I am sure some chronical reversible problems will improve. Sure you can call it healing.

There are really a lot of articels which are wrong if you discuss it in the deep (I have a master degree in Biotechnologie). As well it is well known that most studies about smoking (as well for drinking) have their results already before they were made.

But that does not change anything on that fact that it is not good for the body....

Neither of us would be participating in this group if we didn't truly believe that smoking is not good for our health, or for anyone else around us. And as I think you recognised before, it may very well be the case that I've smoked for many more years than most of the other participants but stopped cold turkey immediately upon enrolling in the group, no patches, no gums and no medications. It did not increase my coffee drinking, change my eating habits, nor make me cranky, either.

But the more I read www.whyquit.com and began to search down definitive information, the more I perceived that the anti-smoking lobbyists resort to unverified and unscientifically supported propaganda including, but not limited to excoriating anyone who attempts to disagree with them. That's just an objective view, I'm not here to upset the applecart.

But I do and will object to any attempts to the offering of false information as a means to an end no matter how worthy the cause. Call me a crank, uptight, or whatever you wish, I'm just an advocate of the notion that honest information is sufficient and ought to be used to the exclusion of uncorroborated sensationalism that becomes truth simply because too few people challenge it.

For example, and I did not write the dictionary, the word healing is very well defined, please look it up yourself. You will find that healing is NOT the same as arresting or forestalling or interrupting, it speaks to Curing.

The article which I quoted from as a followthrough on the assignment tells you in no uncertain terms that cessation of smoking does NOT reverse the pathologies already in place. The article tells you that it MAY prevent further damage.

That is not Healing, and to suggest that it is requires a redefinition of the word.\

And what's wrong with discussing the articles which you too readily perceive to rely upon contrived conclusions in an in depth manner. Simply put, you begin to reach conclusions that are antithetical to the agenda that you support. That is a very slippery slope to avoid.

I entirely agree with your last comment, smoking is bad for our health. But let's not use unreliable means to support one another just as a means to an end.

Not sure whether it is a part of the malcolminthemiddle's quitting strategy or not:

- Give The Man A Privileged Status of Being A Member of Elite Group

- No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain

Be it "Wake Up Call" or not, the story of a "Good Puff" make it for me.

My QUIT TIME: 1 Day and almost 12 Hours. The urge for a cigarette is still present, with ups and downs. I try to wash it down with tomato juice, etc. late lunch is coming. And most importantly, the realization that no compromise is allowed.

The rules of the game should be clear: Never Take Another Puff!

compromise=surrender.

I'm not clear/sure what it is tho' in my case: addiction to nicotine Vs smoking:

No matter how they had stopped, they must still understand the bottom line message, that the only way to stay free now is staying totally committed to never administer nicotine again via any nicotine replacement source and to never administer nicotine again from the original source that likely started the whole process by knowing to Never Take Another Puff!

If the above quote is true, it means that you can't be amongst smokers anymore.

Even confused, I still keep myself of "Good Puff" and other smoker's puffs as well.

Hi Condo,

cool 1 Day+12 hours is a great time!

It might get worse, also what is a bit missleading is that after 72 hours the urge for a cig is not down to zero, it will slowly decrease, but now at 9 days 20 hours there is no real urge anymore.

More that stupid thinking now I could try what happens if.

What helped me was the Quit counter and there it shows how many you not smoked.

And when I would like to smoke one, I always imagine, how it would be to smoke all these ciggis one after the other, without a brake. After that the wish for a ciggi disappears :-)

By the way I drank a lot of beer instead of juice. But might be dangerous, as your will might get weak.

quote:

sure many of these group things are working on that. Hitler made his short time empire out of it. This other forum connected with whyquit.com is based on that. No membership within the first 72 hours, kick out if you take one puff. Not allowed to question the methodes or to speak about other methodes.........

Good luck Condo, just 1 1/2 days and it gets easier......

h90

Not sure whether it is a part of the malcolminthemiddle's quitting strategy or not:

- No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain

Be it "Wake Up Call" or not, the story of a "Good Puff" make it for me.

My QUIT TIME: 1 Day and almost 12 Hours.  The urge for a cigarette is still present, with ups and downs. I try to wash it down with tomato juice, etc. late lunch is coming. And most importantly, the realization that no compromise is allowed. 

The rules of the game should be clear: Never Take Another Puff!

compromise=surrender.

I'm not clear/sure what it is tho' in my case: addiction to nicotine Vs smoking:

No matter how they had stopped, they must still understand the bottom line message, that the only way to stay free now is staying totally committed to never administer nicotine again via any nicotine replacement source and to never administer nicotine again from the original source that likely started the whole process by knowing to Never Take Another Puff!

If the above quote is true, it means that you can't be amongst smokers anymore.

Even confused, I still keep myself of "Good Puff" and other smoker's puffs as well.

pjallittle:

Neither of us would be participating in this group if we didn't truly believe that smoking is not good for our health, or for anyone else around us.  And as I think you recognised before, it may very well be the case that I've smoked for many more years than most of the other participants but stopped cold turkey immediately upon enrolling in the group, no patches, no gums and no medications.  It did not increase my coffee drinking, change my eating habits, nor make me cranky, either.
That with "cranky" was not me, it was Pandit35. :D
But the more I read www.whyquit.com and began to search down definitive information, the more I perceived that the anti-smoking lobbyists resort to unverified and unscientifically supported propaganda including, but not limited to excoriating anyone who attempts to disagree with them.  That's just an objective view, I'm not here to upset the applecart.

Exactly my feeling! They take it like an unquestionable religion. I read some "real" biochemical studies about nicotin. And there are some "positiv" facts, but as well cocain and heroin has some positive facts. That are biochemical facts, which are true even the rest of the facts will kill you. They simply cut that things out, so people will not get leaded in the wrong way and just point on one minor point and tell that smoking is not that bad.....

Different than other fanatic :o they are at least not bombing :D:D:D

Also the style is a bit religous pathetic which I don't like (maybe I am wrong, english is not my language and I am technican and not linguistic specialist)

But I do and will object to any attempts to the offering of false information as a means to an end no matter how worthy the cause.  Call me a crank, uptight, or whatever you wish, I'm just an advocate of the notion that honest information is sufficient and ought to be used to the exclusion of uncorroborated sensationalism that becomes truth simply because too few people challenge it.
Not kill me, but instead of "an advocate of the ........." I call you a dinosaur.

Which books/newspapers are you reading, which TV are you looking?

Thats bad but normal, these days.

I entirely agree with your last comment, smoking is bad for our health.  But let's not use unreliable means to support one another just as a means to an end.

For me the real facts are enough to stop. And I am sure I'll not start again. I always thought I stop later on. Now is later. I always thought I just smoke now for 2-3 years, but by thinking I find more and more years in which I smoked already, but before 1997 it was limited by lack of funds :D

Jockstar,

When you registered, you said:

........................I have cut down from 20 a day to about 7 a day.

Your homework is to complete the following statement:

"I am addicted to a substance that is five times as addictive as cocaine (15% vs. 75%). I may be strong enough to cut back a bit but I'll remain addicted, ............................................."

Sorry malcolm. I have been away from Tv on vacation. So i will get back to regarding the above statement. I'm currently on Zyban or Quomem as they are called in LOS. I will get back dont worry. Thanks for the help anyway.

h90:

Although Eng. may not be your 1'st language, you have a complete grasp on the whole issue. I will accept the label of 'dinosaur', and realise that you have the best of intentions.

As a trained scientist, you've already recognised the nearly religious fervor employed by the anti-smoking enthusiast instead of the calmer and more moderate application of supportable tested facts.

I'm completely cigarette free now for weeks, not just days. Though the nicotine content may have been eliminated, there's obviously far more to it than just absence of nicotine, there remains a longstanding psychological "need" that still has to be identified and dealt with, I think that more attention needs to be directed at how best to accomplish that part of the process.

As a young 13 year old growing up in Hawaii, smoking was all about peer group acceptance, probably the same reason many of us started drinking beer. I think that tobacco addiction begins very rapidly and had never, until now, wanted to quit, I thought that I enjoyed it too much to stop.

In my initial posting, it was mentioned that so many friend of mine had quit, started again, and some also died within a few years after quitting. This kind of direct evidence left me with the impression that quitting wasn't producing the kind of results that I wanted to deal with. But, of course, that was just a flawed rationale which suited my desire not to quit.

I'm actually surprised at how easy it has been. I'm not resorting to any other changes in habit or lifestyle, replacement enhancements like mints, hard candies, cranberry juice or other fruit juices either, just taking it a day at a time, now more than a week at a time.

Frankly, I never thought that my willpower to stay on the path was strong enough, it really is a mind over matter situation when all is said and done.

By the way, the cigarette that I've always smoked is nonfiltered Lucky Strike, one of the more potent for tar and nicotine content. After 56 years, and being lucky enough to have never had a serious health problem, normal blood pressure and no emphysma, what better time to quit?

I've appreciated your exchanges and hope for your success.

pandit35: how about you? Do you still smoke, or quit already, or do you wait 55 more years now?

After 56 years, and being lucky enough to have never had a serious health problem, normal blood pressure and no emphysma, what better time to quit?

how about 55 years ago.....

pjallittle: Lucky Strike without filter :o

it is a wounder that you are still alive :D

Before I stopped already 3 times "successfully".

There is one trap! Because of that "relativ" easy, you might get that idea to smoke just one after a good beer or good food. Because you feel you are in total control of it.

This was the reason why my previous attempts did fail.

This is somehow hard to accept (for me) that there is no little bit smoking, like 2 cigs an evening, like I can drink 2 beer in the evening without getting a complete alcoholism....

good luck :D

The third day is the hardest one so far, a cigarette is on my mind almost constantly. The usual tricks help for short periods, but can't get it out of my mind. My new game is to play with a lighter... look at the fire as long as my fingers can keep the burns.

I'm well aware that compromise=failure, and that's help.

I kicked out lighter from my area, because they remind me on smoking.

Keep in mind it is the third day, you are somewhere arround the maximum, now it is getting less again. Don't expect it is 0 on the 4th day but it should be less than on the third one. So keep in mind it is only getting better!

I also tried to sleep a lot, as well I drank a lot of beer, but that might be dangerous....

The third day is the hardest one so far, a cigarette is on my mind almost constantly. The usual tricks help for short periods, but can't get it out of my mind.  My new game is to play with a lighter... look at the fire as long as my fingers can keep the burns.

I'm well aware that compromise=failure, and that's help.