Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

Hello there,

I wasn't one of the original members of the project but thought I'd come and say hi anyway.

I started smoking at 16 and I'm now 31, I was on about 15 a day.

Well, after watching all the video clips on www.whyquit.com from the young woman with cancer, to the guy with the missing jaw, the man with a hole in his neck, just got to me.

That was it I put my cigarette straight out and quit right there and then (actually that's a blatant lie, in actual fact I lit another one straight away) pretty stupid I know, it's just I hadn't decided to quit on the first one so I needed my second cig so that I could tell myself that it was gonna be my last one :o

My quitkeeper tells me that was 6 days 21 hours and 5 minutes ago.

I just want to say congratulations to those who have quit already and good luck to those who will be trying.

RedHotChilli

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RedHotChilli,

close to 7 days, thats cool :o

The worst is behind you, There are already 4 or 5 ex smoker here arround.

I would say that already a nice percentage, considering that these 4-5 person whould not have quit without that forum.

Much luck

h90

Hello there,

I wasn't one of the original members of the project but thought I'd come and say hi anyway.

I started smoking at 16 and I'm now 31, I was on about 15 a day.

Well, after watching all the video clips on www.whyquit.com from the young woman with cancer, to the guy with the missing jaw, the man with a hole in his neck, just got to me. 

That was it I put my cigarette straight out and quit right there and then (actually that's a blatant lie, in actual fact I lit another one straight away) pretty stupid I know, it's just I hadn't decided to quit on the first one so I needed my second cig so that I could tell myself that it was gonna be my last one :D

My quitkeeper tells me that was 6 days 21 hours and 5 minutes ago.

I just want to say congratulations to those who have quit already and good luck to those who will be trying.

RedHotChilli

"How long more you have to suffer without smoking. Just one cigaret..." she is telling me.

"Don't think of tomorrow, next week or next month. Right now just one..." she is trying to outsmart me.

Fortunately, I have learned from my bad previous experience and it is now a question of character.

I'm on my fourth day without a puff, still very vulnerable and ineffective, but not without a hope...

what also helped for me a little bit, to think, that I'll never again smoke one, so this desire for one is out of discussion.

Second if you use the Quit Counter, it shows me how many I did not smoke. Than I imagine, that it would be OK to smoke one, but I also must smoke all the other I did not, without a brake, just one cig after the other, this idea is so ugly that I stop wanting one.

But now day 11 and it already pretty nice feeling, really not hard anymore.

and you are just a few days behind, continue, just one more day and it is getting easier again.

h90

"How long more you have to suffer without smoking. Just one cigaret..." she is telling me.

"Don't think of tomorrow, next week or next month. Right now just one..." she is trying to outsmart me.

Fortunately, I have learned from my bad previous experience and it is now a question of character.

I'm on my fourth day without a puff, still very vulnerable and ineffective, but not without a hope...

Is everyone ready ???

Make a big determination now, that monday is smoke free day, and you will never take another puff. Put lots of Karma and Intention into your resolution.

Make a post stating in no uncertain terms that from Monday you, along with the group, will be ciggie free.

If you keep saying it, and telling people, it will give you added impetus. If you find yourself reluctant to tell people right now that you will never take another puff, right there you are giving yourself a get-out clause. Tell people, post it up, and determine !!!

I will never :o_ a ciggie again. :D to smoking

Edited by Pandit

I have been quit for 4 Days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 25 seconds (4 days). I have saved $6.45 by not smoking 92 cigarettes. I have saved 7 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM.

Uneasiness and nervousness due to continuing and enduring calls for that one cigaret without significant change in status, condition or place.

Like a mechanical impulse, at times a hand acts all by itself (without any command from above) making a search for... I need to be in control at all times.

Condo, it should be decreasing now for you!

Maybe you are a bit late, this 72 hours are just statistics. I drank a lot of beer all the time, maybe that increased speed of the process.

What was for me important: There is no lighter, cig, ashtrap or simillar things arround me. They remind me to smoke.

Just today I found and it is 2 meter left side away from me: a metal case for cigarettes. Which is now already funny, because I have to look there all 5 minutes, it seems the small devil inside me, does not know it is empty, I checked already :D

If you have cigarets at home, give it the security guy of your condo or whoever (not hold it to long in your hand (they might jump straight in your mouth :o ).

Second trick: I reward myself, since I am a child I want to dive. Now when 3 weeks without smoking I make the padi open water diver. I think smoking and diving does not fit together. Thats also a help.

good luck, tomorrow is day 5 for you and I think day 5 is for sure easier :-)

I have been quit for 4 Days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 25 seconds (4 days). I have saved $6.45 by not smoking 92 cigarettes. I have saved 7 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM.

Uneasiness and nervousness due to continuing and enduring calls for that one cigaret without significant change in status, condition or place.

Like a mechanical impulse, at times a hand acts all by itself (without  any command from above) making a search for... I need to be in control at all times.

it seems the small devil inside me, does not know it is empty, I checked already

no small devil that one hehehe

Is no one else left of the group ??? No one making monday their big day ???

Post up your dedication to the final quit tomorrow

Peter991

Kringle

Mrs Manum

JockStar

Wilgus

Hajo

Ady277

TallThai

Pjallittle

Ravisher

ray23

wolfie

canadian

h90

mpdkorat

JuniorExpat

mickey

nam

lourens

iceangel

pandit35

pschef

e-rik

tors

RBO

viet60

teco

kon dee

joopderooij

amestigon

thaipauly

Bull

elfe

tukyleith

tywais

Edited by Pandit

Dear Evil Pandit,

if you read my postings before, also pjallittle postings are telling a lot, you'll understand what is going on.

I told you already before in clear words, that you must do it on your own and not sit there with the cig and wait for the others to quit.

Actually I don't know if it was a higher genious strategie from malcom or taksins satelite was falling down so he can not or just rarelly post or he is not able to manage that proper (good dictators are rare these days).

So actually you have 2 choices:

a) you collect all your loved ciggis ligthers (spelled wrong), ash trays and whatever else in the same topic. And complete no exception (specialy on the smokeable things). Go to the security guy at your condo and ask him if he want it as present. Second you take 150 Baht and tell the security guy (or do it yourself) to buy 3 bottle Singha. Which you than drink to celebrate the decision that you do not smoke anymore whatever it comes.

:o you go and buy one more pack LM green and continue smoking. To make it easy, you are not wrong, these guys below did not stop, so you could not and malcom did not help you. The only one who tried to pushed you was your behated (spelling???) friend h90 (nonsmoking friend) and that was not enough.

So that are your decisions. Actually there is no way between. To smoke or not to smoke?

Let me (and the small rest) know your decision tomorrow.

h90

PS.: Successfull stopped:

Condo_bk

RedHotChilli

pjallittle

bronco (but stopped 18 years ago, so maybe out of the statistic)

Wolfie

h90

good luck

it seems the small devil inside me, does not know it is empty, I checked already

no small devil that one hehehe

Is no one else left of the group ??? No one making monday their big day ???

Post up your dedication to the final quit tomorrow

Peter991

Kringle

Mrs Manum

JockStar

Wilgus

Hajo

Ady277

TallThai

Pjallittle

Ravisher

ray23

wolfie

canadian

h90

mpdkorat

JuniorExpat

mickey

nam

lourens

iceangel

pandit35

pschef

e-rik

tors

RBO

viet60

teco

kon dee

joopderooij

amestigon

thaipauly

Bull

elfe

tukyleith

tywais

from everyone who read that and and started with the programm:

who stopped or is stopping on Monday with smoking?

who does not, because give up, lost interest or whatever and want to continue smoking, please also post it! Monday is the day of decision (I hope there are still other people arround, else than pandit and me)

I have been quit for 5 Days, 12 hours, 40 minutes and 42 seconds (5 days). I have saved $7.73 by not smoking 110 cigarettes. I have saved 9 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM

As time goes by, the fight with the urge just intensifies... no visible break as of yet. As probation period with no liberation at sight... Will there be one?

If its any help at all, i'm on day 14 and i think of ciggies maybe around 3 times a day.. but its easy to ignore these mini-cravings.

I guess i will be like this for the rest of my natural life... if so, then i can deal with that.

Dear All

Having been sick with tonsilitus, putting down the cigarettes was made easier. Unfortunately, I am unable to be very proactive on this thread as I simply don't have the time between work, fun and remembering that I am a non-smoker - apologies but there seem to be enuf people out there giving it their all so my ha'penny don't need too much shoving.

My first day back into work and I removed all reminders that I was a smoker, including the lighter I ALWAYS keep for other people's emergencies! The place smells like a dump and I didn't even know that before. I haven't dwelt on smoking but have had to say to myself "it's a 3 minute craving Nam".

So inadvertently, this thread has helped me to stop; as even though I was sick I think I probably would have carried on if it weren't for Malcolm in the Middle starting all this - so a big thank you to you :D

I will still try to be involved in this and I am constantly picking up tips on keeping away from those cancer sticks, might try the ciggi counter if I need it or those horrific pictures again. The boyf wants to stop too so there won't be any in the house......

I don't .......

............... celebrate with a cigarette, instead I use a smile :D

............... ponder with a cigarette, instead I focus my brain :D

............... stress relieve through a cigarette, I now just deal with it :o

............... smell bad! :D

Good luck to all those hoping to stop; aren't the pictures on the packs of Marlboro Lights in Thailand enough already?

Laters....... :D

I have been quit for 6 Days, 14 hours, 57 minutes and 6 seconds (6 days). I have saved $9.26 by not smoking 132 cigarettes. I have saved 11 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM

Its been almost a week since my last puff... and I'm still struggling. The good news - I didn't gain weight, try to eat regularly and mainly vegetables, sea food, fish and lots of fruit. At the moment I try to avoid booze, even beer, as I afraid to loose control...

It is not fun anymore... at least for me.

I am on day 15 and yesterday evening was really hard.

but I eat what I want, mostly meat, drink a lot of beer and stay really happy.

Not a recommendation, but it sounds hard if you stop smoking, but also cut on the food and the drinks, there is not much else left, so I drink more than before eat a lot and today morning was the first day I forgot the first 2 hours complete about cigaretts.

I have been quit for 6 Days, 14 hours, 57 minutes and 6 seconds (6 days). I have saved $9.26 by not smoking 132 cigarettes. I have saved 11 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM

Its been almost a week since my last puff... and I'm still struggling. The good news - I didn't gain weight, try to eat regularly and mainly vegetables, sea food, fish and lots of fruit. At the moment I try to avoid booze, even beer, as I afraid to loose control...

It is not fun anymore... at least for me.

I have been quit for 1 Week, 8 hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds (7 days). I have saved $10.28 by not smoking 146 cigarettes. I have saved 12 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM

Sure, there are times that you don't think of cigarets. The problem tho' when you are... and during the day there are more and more times you are desperately need one.

Smoking is definitely not good for the body, but what about the soul?

In your case it might be less the problem with the nicotine than psychologic, you need some rewards or some reason to brake your work.

Maybe you should find something else, like a glass of expensive wiskey or some special food which you love, or anything else than a cig.

Because if you stop smoking, you try to avoid drinks and fun because it might lead you to a cig and try not to eat too much for not getting fat, so your live is getting really boring.

But in fact you want to stop smoking and not getting Thailands best mong.

For the urge for a cig

These times that you don't think of cigarets are getting longer every day. Not a big change per day, so you don't recognize the change easily. As well the times when you want one. This "want one" not only get shorter and less times it also loose the power.

I have been quit for 1 Week, 8 hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds (7 days). I have saved $10.28 by not smoking 146 cigarettes. I have saved 12 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM

Sure, there are times that you don't think of cigarets. The problem tho' when you are... and during the day there are more and more times you are desperately need one.

If its any help at all, i'm on day 14 and i think of ciggies maybe around 3 times a day.. but its easy to ignore these mini-cravings.

I guess i will be like this for the rest of my natural life... if so, then i can deal with that.

If you can deal with it, great. But for me, after two years without cigarettes, my craving is GONE. It really is. Not even three times per day anymore. It really does get better with time. :o (I smoked over 20 per day for 16 years before quitting).

My two baht for what's it worth

quit 3 years ago - had been a twopacker for about 35 years - went cold turkey

do I still crave? YES

(just 2 days ago was tempted by a visiting 'smoking' friend to try 'just one' but didn't give in -phew!)

Do I feel better? (that's the wrong question) - can I breath, smell, taste,*censored* again? Yes and it feels great :o

Condo,

You are now a non smoker, not a smoker trying to quit.

Do not punish yourself for quitting, congratulate yourself.

Do not think so much about your past life as a smoker but to your future life, free of the addiction.

You are now a non smoker, not a smoker trying to quit.

Do not punish yourself for quitting, congratulate yourself.

malcolminthemiddle,

It seems that the only way (I can think of) to reward myself is by that "good one" - there is no better reward.

And as the matter of truth, I do not think at all about my past life as a smoker, not now, nor ever before quiting. This thought has never crossed my mind - you just smoke, never think of smoking. Same as now, I am not looking for any rewards for quitting smoking. I just don't want my daughter to smell...

The usual place for my smoking was the balcony (because of my baby). When I get out to the balcony now, I can't stay there more than few seconds... When my mouth is empty..., when I see someone smoking..., and many other things that were just normal..., now, I really don't know what to do, where to hide.

Should I put a sign "I am now a non smoker" on my forehead and look at myself in the mirror?

Edited by Condo_bk

• 2 weeks later...

Please sign me up. Tried to stop 3 times and decided to give it another try. Am 34 years old/ F. Smoke 1 pack a day since 16

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

Wow, what a topic and what a forum!

I just stumbled across this today... it looks like a lot of action went on whilst I was away over Songkran.

Had I been here I would have probably joined in too... a team effort is a great idea, and my congratulations to Malcolm for getting the momentum going.

So guys'n gals... how many of the original 38 registered attemptees stuck it out?

Any others?

How many of you are now non-smokers?

I am non smoker since 24 days, for the others I don't know.

Wow, what a topic and what a forum!

I just stumbled across this today... it looks like a lot of action went on whilst I was away over Songkran.

Had I been here I would have probably joined in too... a team effort is a great idea, and my congratulations to Malcolm for getting the momentum going.

So guys'n gals... how many of the original 38 registered attemptees stuck it out?

Any others?

How many of you are now non-smokers?

Not sure if I am already a non smoker, but...

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 13 hours, 30 minutes and 21 seconds (17 days). I have saved $24.57 by not smoking 351 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 5 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/20/05 4:09 AM

Still suffering a lot, and at times even catch myself smoking in my dreams.

I am now smoking more than I was before!

I am very glad to have read all I did on this thread and really am thinking and wanting to stop in the near future, honest.

I know it is probably the wrong thing to do, but I am waiting for a stress- free time to appear and then I will give it a go.

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

Hi Malcolm

Please include me in the program.

I started to smoke when I was fourteen, that is 46 years ago. I am really desperate, I can use any help I can get. I smoke about 30 a day.

Please sign me up

Thanks

Marios