Adobe Building Materials

toopeekaa 1

Does anyone out there know anything about a group called the Pun Pun Community.Supposed to be in the greater Mae Jo area. It is called "The Pun Pun Sustainable Learning Center & Seed Saving Community. They create Adobe clay blocks to be used in the construction of Adobe Clay Houses.

If any one can offer any contact details or information it would be greatly appreciated

A close friend and colleuge of mine worked with students from the CMU Faculty of Architecture on the construction of an adobe house last summer.  When he gets in to the office today, I will ask him if he can provide any specific contacts.

Thomas

"thenewguy" thanks heaps for the above...... the folks looking for the site here have been here for sometime now and unfortunately are leaving this evening..... so if you are able to find the contact details, especially where exactly they are..... it would be greatly appreciated....

To dugdig thanks for the lead , but having been to the web site earlier, I have been only able to find Mae Jo as the closest point of location...

If you would know of the precise site, please post

Thanks again

toopeekaa,

Sory to get back to you so late, but my friend was in a meeting till after lunch.

A few things; first, the PunPun Community is not in Mae Jo, but in Mae Taeng community about one hour north of Chiangmai.

Secondly, my friend has no immediate contact info as the people up there evidently do not even have cell phones.

If you have more time later, I'm sure we could dig into it.

Thomas

To reach us by public transportation, it is possible to take a truck from a small side street near Dawarote market in Chaing Mai that leaves daily at 12 noon. The truck is white, and signs are posted on each side of the truck indicating that it is the one that goes to pun pun. To make sure you have the right truck, look for the signs and ask the driver if he goes to "moo-ban Mae Jo." Note- the driver doesn't speak English, but is very friendly. Make sure the truck is white. There is another town called Mae Jo, and if you ask around people may try to direct you to a red or green truck. These are wrong. The truck is white. There has been some confusion about this in the past. White truck = right truck. We are the last stop on this truck's route. The driver will let you know when you have arrived, it usually takes about two hours, as a lot of loading and unloading of passengers and produce and other products occurs along the way. At some point, the driver may stop at a market and have you get off the truck and wait for him to unload things and come back. Don't worry, you can leave your things on the truck and he will come back. It should be clear when you have reached the road to pun pun, the driver will let you know. Once you are off the truck, walk through the little gate and across the fields, cross two little irrigation ditches, and then turn left on the path to get to the farm. The driver will point out the way for you.

Please contact us for more specific directions and for answers to any questions you might have!

To : "the new guy" Thomas Thanks for all your effort and information. It has been passed on the the interested party. The Adobe homes sound like a very interesting concept and even though the information was for another party, it is also of interest to me harkening back a few centuries to the Pueblo Nation Indian [American] days.

To "dugdig" special thanks to you ... I have given the information to the party interested, unfortunately a train schedule prohibited him from contacting you at this time. His name is Jan, a Dutchman, and he will be in touch in the next few days. He says he will return from Bangkok and then make arrangements to visit you.

When I requested precise, precise is what you gave in your directions...... the only thing I found missing and I'm sure is of major importance, is ........ you didn't say how cm wide the irrigations ditches were....... :o:D

again sincere thanks to you both

as an aside dugdig would you be interested in more publicity re your project or would you rather keep it on the quiet side ??? I mean PR at no charge.

In my hurry to post I did not explain fully that what I posted was from the internet and not my own writing. I'm sorry I didn't make this clearer but I knew you were in a hurry and I was really pressed for time myself. I'm not affiliated with Pun Pun but I have an interest in their work. I'm reasonably sure that they would want their work more widely understood...I certainly think that a better understanding of their work will promote a more humane attitude toward the environment and each other.

I would be grateful if you posted something about their work if you are able to connect with them and feel it is worthwhile...or your friends could do the same...although perhaps this won't work out this time. Visiting them (Pun Pun) has been in the back of my mind for awhile but I've been busy developing an organic garden/farm of my own.

I know of a newly forming organic gardening/meditation place in Isaan. The head gardener is Thai and was trained at an Asoke center. I haven't visited them yet (I've been busy) but have spoken with the land owner and exchanged emails with him. He is just getting organized and I'm not sure if he wants inquiries yet. If you're interested in this I could ask him if I should give you contact info.

• 2 months later...