Jump to content

Two Injured As Mobile Phone Explodes


Recommended Posts

Two injured as mobile phone explodes

KRABI: -- Two people were left in critical condition yesterday after a mobile telephone exploded outside a karaoke bar in Thailand's southern province of Krabi.

Mr. Samrit Engchuan, 59, had been sitting in the karaoke bar in tambon Klong Phon when in the early hours of Wednesday morning when he received a call on his mobile.

Going outside to take the call where he would not be disturbed by the noise of the bar, Mr. Samrit suddenly found to his horror that his telephone had exploded.

Both Mr. Samrit and Mrs. Wassana Ietson, a 27 year-old waitress who had been standing nearby, sustained serious injuries, with shards of metal from the telephone embedded in Mr. Samrit's liver and in Mrs. Wassana's lungs.

Doctors at Klong Thom Hospital said that both patients were now stable.

The cause of the explosion was not immediately clear.

-- TNA 2004-11-11

Link to post
Share on other sites

Either that or the Mossad have gotten into the Thai mobile phone business !

Personally I think its more likely that the karaoke bar exploded. Or that the mobile committed suicide in response to some particularly awful drunken wailing and synth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

it happens all the time you know :D u should get yer phone checked out by a shrink at least once a year, make sure the old bean isnt feeling suicidal :o

would have thought it would have blown the hand off that was holding it aswell, or was his liver doing the talking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Monty Python is alive and well in ....... Krabi!

:D:D:D Are you thinking about "The penguin on top of your TV set is about to explode. Bang! Whoooo! How did he know that?? :D:wub:-_-

But, seriously folks, there seems to be a problem with batteries - not the original batteries, but copies. I have a second battery for my Nokia 8250, but it has got rather 'fat' in the middle, so I don't use it any more - I charge the original battery every night.

I don't know how many batteries have exploded, but I suggest if you have bought a second battery, and it is getting a little fat, you should stop using it. :o

Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't know how many batteries have exploded, but I suggest if you have bought a second battery, and it is getting a little fat, you should stop using it.  :o

Common Sense...?

totster :wub:

For sure! But if you have read half the posts on Thaivisa, do you think our members have a lot of that? :D:D:D (Present company excepted, of course :D ) <exits quickly after donning flame-proof jacket>

Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't know how many batteries have exploded, but I suggest if you have bought a second battery, and it is getting a little fat, you should stop using it.  :o

Common Sense...?

totster :)

For sure! But if you have read half the posts on Thaivisa, do you think our members have a lot of that? :D:D:D (Present company excepted, of course :( ) <exits quickly after donning flame-proof jacket>

:D:wub:

i think that ws kind of what I was getting at... didn't have the balls to come out and say it though.. :)

totster -_-

Link to post
Share on other sites
Monty Python is alive and well in ....... Krabi!

:D:D:D Are you thinking about "The penguin on top of your TV set is about to explode. Bang! Whoooo! How did he know that?? :D:wub:-_-

But, seriously folks, there seems to be a problem with batteries - not the original batteries, but copies. I have a second battery for my Nokia 8250, but it has got rather 'fat' in the middle, so I don't use it any more - I charge the original battery every night.

I don't know how many batteries have exploded, but I suggest if you have bought a second battery, and it is getting a little fat, you should stop using it. :o

Very possible indeed. In my hobby model planes and helis we have a new type of battery since a year called Lithium Poly.

These are gell batteries which give a high and strong output compared to their size. A sigaret pack size battery will give you 12 volts and 3300 milliamps.

When you charge them you have to do it with a special charger otherwise they exploded and burn. When they get a litlle fat it means you've overcharged them and they could explode also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I charge the original battery every night.

Batteries should be used until they are finished!!

Get a second battery, and change batteries when the first one is used up.

Charging the battery every night is dangerous as overcharging can occur, with a resultant explosion.

It also reduces the life of the battery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two injured as mobile phone explodes: UPDATE

KRABI: -- After the accident it was apparant Mr. Samrit Engchuan, 59, had lost his ear, members of the emergency services rushed back to the scene and recovered an ear, the then showed this to Samrit who swore blind it was not his as his had a cigatette behind it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I charge the original battery every night.

Batteries should be used until they are finished!!

Get a second battery, and change batteries when the first one is used up.

Charging the battery every night is dangerous as overcharging can occur, with a resultant explosion.

It also reduces the life of the battery.

That's exactly why I bought the second battery! I would keep a fully charged battery in my wallet, and when the phone's battery died, I would swap it for the charged one. Then I would charge the discharged one and put it in my wallet for use when the current one died.

But I noticed that the second battery (that I bought from an MBK shop), started to get "fat", so I stopped using it.

Sometimes I let the original Nokia battery discharge completely - maybe once every two weeks - and then charge it again. The Nokia hasn't got "fat", yet!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess every year you read these kind of stories. Especially, when nothing exciting happened for the news.

@Astral

Charging the battery every night is dangerous as overcharging can occur, with a resultant explosion.

What you mean by this? I charge my phone every night as it will be empty after a long day of using it. You mean that's dangerous or do I get something wrong?

On the computer-keyboard and mouse as well as camera I use re-chargeable batteries, no problem there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's another reason not to own one and there are a thousand more. Maybe it's a terrorist plot, where was the telephone made-Hewlett Packard in Malaysia? On the other hand a lot of the people I see using these implements do seem to be getting fairly explosive in their conversations! :o

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry. I should have said that charging the battery every night,

"even when it does not need it" is dangerous.

This also goes for you camera batteries.

A good charger will have a function to drain the battery before charging.

This will ensure maximum life and safety.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...