Page Size

MikeWill

George!

This is probably for your consideration.

The resolution of my monitor (and most monitors today) is 600x800. The inside pages are all look good, no horizontal scrolling. But, the main pages of all forums (ie. General, General Topics, etc.) are sized to a higher resolution.

Is it possible to udjust this?

George!

This is probably for your consideration.

The resolution of my monitor (and most monitors today) is 600x800. The inside pages are all look good, no horizontal scrolling. But, the main pages of all forums (ie. General, General Topics, etc.) are sized to a higher resolution.

Is it possible to udjust this?

Maybe you should start thinking about upgrading some of your stuff :D

i'm currently working on 1280 x 1024 , forum looks great :o

Most monitors now are 17" which run best at 1024 x 768, if you have a 17" change your settings , if not buy a new monitor ?

It helps with website design as well :D

In any case, all forum pages should have a uniform size, to the same monitor resolution. Not that the main pages (with forum titles) will be optimized differently than topic dicussion (internal) pages.

I'm confident that George knows the monitor's resolution that is most popular with the board members.

P.S.

Darknight, the worth of your advice couldn't be underestimated.

Re: Monitors' Resolution

This is what the report from SUPERSTATS indicated <

https://www.superstats.com/v3/reports/resol..._sig=2098891861 >

TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/4l9ss

Resolution % Visitors 0 16,385

768 x 600 53.8% 16,385

1152 x 864 27.2% 8,293

1400 x 1024 9.2% 2,812

1600 x 1024 4.3% 1,295

1024 x 1728 1.0% 311

1400 x 1200 <1% 247

768 x 480 <1% 234

1600 x 1200 <1% 207

1600 x 1280 <1% 196

1920 x 1050 <1% 180

2048 x 768 <1% 90

800 x 1024 <1% 40

1600 x 1050 <1% 38

2048 x 1200 <1% 34

800 x 1200 <1% 20

800 x 480 <1% 9

1152 x 1728 <1% 7

1600 x 1728 <1% 7

600 x 800 <1% 5

1152 x 800 <1% 5

1280 x 1280 <1% 4

??? x 480 <1% 4

800 x 768 <1% 3

1152 x 1536 <1% 3

2400 x 600 <1% 3

1920 x 1200 <1% 2

1152 x 240 <1% 1

1400 x 1280 <1% 1

600 x 600 <1% 1

3200 x 1536 <1% 1

800 x 400 <1% 1

1280 x 1728 <1% 1

1152 x 768 <1% 1

BTW, Darknight, next time you present yourself as a prominent Web designer and want to give a worthful advice, just learn the facts first.

Your remarks, at times, are simply frivolous.

"Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"

Re: Monitors' Resolution

This is what the report from SUPERSTATS indicated <

https://www.superstats.com/v3/reports/resol..._sig=2098891861 >.......

768 x 600  53.8%  16,385   

1152 x 864  27.2%  8,293   

BTW, Darknight, next time you present yourself as a prominent Web designer and want to give a worthful advice, just learn the facts first.

Your remarks, at times, are simply frivolous.

"Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"

And if you had checked the yearly statistic, you would have seen that Darknight was right:

wwwsuperstatscom.png

If you can't see the picture, it says:

1024 x 768 28.4 %

768 x 600 22.2 %

etc, etc :o

I have checked stats from July to November 2004, and every month the resolution of 768x600 is over 50%.

RDN, we are speaking here about the width of Web pages, isn't it.

Do you agree, at least, that all pages should be consistent in size?

Would you recommend to udjust the page width to higher resolution?

Even now, when there is a horizontal scrolling bar on the main forum pages, the content of the page is 'framed' (probably by using tables) to the monitors' resolution of 800x600 pixels. The max. page width for that resolution is 768 pixels.

If the page itself and its content will be sized the same, the horizontal scrolling bar will disappear.

And if you had checked the yearly statistic, you would have seen that Darknight was right:

wwwsuperstatscom.png

If you can't see the picture, it says:

1024 x 768  28.4 %

768 x 600    22.2 %

etc, etc  :o

Darknight was not right in any case. The resolution he mentioned was 1280 x 1024, which is about 4% of users.

Oh, I just find out why there is a horizontal scrolling.

On the main pages, there are dropdown menus (with names of forum topics) togerther with the icon descriptions in the same table.

Some names are too long and extend the page width accordingly:

- Jobs, Job search, ecomony, banking, business and investment in Thailand

- Internet, computers, software, communications and technology in Thailand

Make this names shorter or separate the dropdown menus from icon descriptions (i.e. New Replies, No New Replies, Hot Topic (New), etc.) and horizontal scrolling will disappear.

P.S.

Darknight,

Re: "Talk about self dillusion"

Are you referring to a mistaken or unfounded opinion or idea? If so, the correct word is delusion.

English is your native language, isn't it.

On the main pages, there are dropdown menus (with names of forum topics) togerther with the icon descriptions in the same table.

Some names are too long and extend the page width accordingly...

Make this names shorter or separate the dropdown menus from icon descriptions (i.e. New Replies, No New Replies, Hot Topic (New), etc.) and horizontal scrolling will disappear.

RDN,

If you carefully examine the stats for 2004 you referred to, you will see that the monitors' resolution of:

800x600 -- 20.4%

768x600 -- 22.2%

The total is over 40%.

Your last remark rises a qiestion. What is your main concern: defending Darknight, or making the board pages looking good?

Do you suggest to leave the recommendations I made above without a change either?

Some names are too long and extend the page width accordingly...

RDN,

If you carefully examine the stats for 2004 you referred to, you will see that the monitors' resolution of:

800x600 -- 20.4%

768x600 -- 22.2%

The total is over 40%.

Your last remark rises a qiestion. What is your main concern: defending Darknight, or making the board pages looking good?

Do you suggest to leave the recommendations I made above without a change either?

I'm sure Darknight can take care of himself :o . I just thought some of your statistics were odd, to say the least. I suggest you look here:

# 640x480: this accounts for ~1% of page accesses, a third as many as a year ago. Most users have old PCs. The number will quickly drop as these PCs are retired.

# 800x600: this accounts for ~32% of page accesses. Some users surely have old PCs, with little video memory; the rest likely have PCs whose resolutions are set lower because many new PCs default to a lower resolution: lower resolution displays are faster. The percentage will decrease steadily as higher resolution displays grow more common, but will remain popular for many years.

# 1024x768 and higher: this accounts for ~65% of page accesses. Most new PCs have enough video memory for high resolution displays, but many are set to a lower resolution because many new PCs default to a lower resolution: lower resolution displays are faster. The percentage of high resolution users will continue to grow steadily.

With regards to your analysis of the problem (for 800 x 600 and lower resolution screens) you are quite correct. These two long titles push the menu box over the edge. So I'll check with admin to see if we can shorten them.

I'm glad to hear that you agree with me on the main issue, i.e. the width of pages should be adjusted.

It could be done in two ways:

1. shorten the long titles, or

2. split up the table containing the dropdown menus and icon descriptions.

Re: Boring

I can understand your feelings.

Your emotional sensitivity will be better off, when you change your offensive conduct. Showing respect to other members even if you disagree with their views/opinions, is the way to become well regarded.

And if you want to be a proud speaker of your own country's language, just watch your language.

"Misspellings and grammar errors are considered bad netiquette, please proof read your post by clicking on preview before posting."

I am not sure what the problem is?

I have just resized my monitor down to 600 x 800 and the forum displays quite well. Nothing is missing, it just means the pages are longer as the same info has to be packed in.

I am using Opera Version 7.54.

Perhaps the problem is with the browser or its settings?

With monitor's resolution set at 800x600, just take a look at the main forum pages (i.e. General Topics for example) and scroll down to the table with dropdown menus that allow to jump to another forum. You'll see that that table is too wide and causing the horizontal scrolling to appear.

Do I explained myself clear?

Edited by Condo_bk

Condo-bk. Frankly I can find nothing to worry about concerning issues of screen resolution.

To solve the problem if there is a genuine one, please can you post details of your computer equipment and the spftware you are using. We may then be able to help you.

OK, here is the problem:

Go here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=2 and then set your resolution to 800x600.

Go to near the bottom of the page. Try to get this line at the top of your screen:

" xx User(s) are browsing this forum (xx Guests and xx Anonymous Users) "

3 lines down is a box with " |-- General topics " in it.

You will see that you cannot get to the "drop down" arrow, or to the "Go" button to its left, because it is off the edge of the screen. You have to use the horizontal scroll bar.

Condo_bk's theory as to why this box is off the edge of the screen, is because

1. two forum titles are very long and

2. the drop-down box automatically sizes itself to the longest menu (longest "forum title", in this case).

These forum titles are: "Jobs, job search, economy, banking, business and investment in Thailand"

and: " Internet, computers, software. communication and technology in Thailand".

Both titles can be fairly easily shortened - probably only by an admin - by

1. Deleting " in Thailand" from both

2. Deleting " job search, " from the first (redundant item)

3. Deleting " software. " from the second (redundant item)

Hope this is crystal clear to everyone :o . I now leave it up to admin to decide what and when to do something about it. As a perfectionist myself, I would like both titles to be modified as suggested.

Cheers,

RDN

Buy a condo with a decent pc in it.

It seems that your inclination to attract attention and to become relevant affects your mental attitude.

That's why, to avoid discomfort, it probably would be wise not to bother whether with your values and dispositions to act, or your ability to interpret and respond to situations.

i would say...

What a lot of fuss for a small problem. It's as usual only in Condo's head

1st, you're right, it isn't a major problem. But it is also very easy to corect it.

2nd, who make all that fuss? Sometimes it's helpful to look at mirror. If you don't see well, buy spectacles. You will look less ridiculous.

3d, button up, if you have nothing relevant left to say. It will improve your appetite and sexual state. After all, you are on the isle of women. There are could be better things for you to do.

With monitor's resolution set at 800x600, just take a look at the main forum pages (i.e. General Topics for example) and scroll down to the table with dropdown menus that allow to jump to another forum. You'll see that that table is too wide and causing the horizontal scrolling to appear.

Condo-bk. Frankly I can find nothing to worry about concerning issues of screen resolution.

To solve the problem if there is a genuine one, please can you post details of your computer equipment and the spftware you are using. We may then be able to help you.

I have to agree with P1P.

We need more details of your equipment and sw. 

I have checked again at 800x600 and all is well right down

the whole of the Forum Main page.

I have to agree with P1P.

We need more details of your equipment and sw. 

I have checked again at 800x600 and all is well right down

the whole of the Forum Main page.

There is nothing wrong with my computer or software.

Haven't you read the post of RDN:

OK, here is the problem:

Go here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=2 and then set your resolution to 800x600.

Go to near the bottom of the page. Try to get this line at the top of your screen:

" xx User(s) are browsing this forum (xx Guests and xx Anonymous Users) "

3 lines down is a box with " |-- General topics " in it.

You will see that you cannot get to the "drop down" arrow, or to the "Go" button to its left, because it is off the edge of the screen. You have to use the horizontal scroll bar...

Most likely, you didn't set the resolution of your monitor to 800x600, if you don't see the horizontal scrolling on this page and similar ones.