Parliament Passes Teacher Salary Bill

george

Parliament passes teacher salary bill

BANGKOK: -- The House of Representatives has passed the Teachers’ Salary Bill, which has been long awaited by government educators nationwide.

The proposed legislation was amended by the Senate before being sent to the Lower House for ratification.

Most MPs voiced concern over parts of the bill’s text, but the bill was, however, carried by 271 votes to 1.

However, a senior Thai Rak Thai MP, Adisorn Piangket, told TNA that he opposed to the Senate's amendments to the text which contradicted to the government's decentralisation policy, saying that the law permits chiefs of each educational area to appoint school principals and teachers, which could cause the loss of independence of school principals once the law is promulgated.

“The House ratified the proposed bill because we did not want to delay the bill any longer, but I'd like to urge that the chief educationists never abuse their power, but exercise their authority impartially”, said Mr. Adisorn.

The Lower House rejected the bill last year, which sparked outcries from teachers who had been awaiting its ratification to shore up their living standards.

The bill comprises new pay scales that promise higher salaries and benefits for teachers and other education personnel.

The ratified law will be sent to the Prime Minister’s Office to submit for His Majesty the King’s endorsement before being published in the Royal Gazette and becoming law.

--TNA 2004-11-12

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!  As a public-school teacher, I may actually live to see some of those benefits, whatever they are!

"Steven"

I wouldn't count on it having one iota of effect on you. They're talking about Thai teachers, as government employees, and as a farang teacher, it doesn't count for you...

I doubt very much that Thai teachers have much sympathy for their farang counterparts who make upwards of 100% more than they do.

Yes, you're right. I've heard lots of resentment...

But, there are lots of basic differences between Karachakan teachers and farangs...

As example...

Fewer teaching hours at the university level. 9 hours max per week, with a government-mandated 300 baht per hour minimum after that... Farangs teach up to 20 hours in some universities with no extra pay...That in itself can sometimes make up the difference in salary.

Health care benefits for Karachkans is much better than even the SS system, and includes dental, too.

Karachkans get access to special low-interest loans

Karachkans get better rates at hotels and with some airlines. Not sure about trains and buses, but I seem to remember discounts there, too.

Karachkans can get govt housing (I always wanted one of those beautiful 'country homes' for Thai Ajarns on the CMU campus :D )

Karachkans get unemployment benefits and a better pension

Karachkans don't have to go to immigration or pay farang prices

Karachkans also get to be in the thick of all the office politics with no chance to hide... :o

As for Karachkans teaching in the Prathom/Mathayom schools, they all work MUCH harder and longer than the farangs, and though they do get most of the other benefits, I'd still rather be a farang teacher in those schools... :D

I doubt very much that Thai teachers have much sympathy for their farang counterparts who make upwards of 100% more than they do.

Yes, you're right. I've heard lots of resentment...

But, there are lots of basic differences between Karachakan teachers and farangs...

Not to forget, they certainly don't need to spend lots of money and time on

work permits, visas and visa runs. :o

Or expensive girlfriends. :o

Seriosly though a lot of middle class Thais claim to not earn enough money but they also have the benefit of having a family, they probably already own land, a house and have 4 or 5 other people contributing financialy.

Or expensive girlfriends.  :o

Seriosly though a lot of middle class Thais claim to not earn enough money but they also have the benefit of having a family, they probably already own land, a house and have 4 or 5 other people contributing financialy.

Good point. It's often true that Thais have much more of a support system than most farangs do...

Some middle-aged Thai teachers at govt. schools (secondary, anyway) make between 22K and 27K. The 100% differential is when you're comparing some new rajabat graduate who's in their first year of teaching.

Ajarn, did you mention pension? That's extremely important.

The disparity in working hours varies. Last year, I taught 10 contact hours per week. Now, 17 to 19 (upwards of 623 students per week!). But some Thais put in 23, and have to attend meetings we don't. Many of them are so dedicated to the job that they hardly have a life, other than family at home.

But they're not native speakers of English, and that's what 99% of the farang teachers are. Totally different, almost totally. At least, a different market. But if you're teaching 10 hours and they're teaching 21, they don't think you're that different, and then they'll ask you to grade their hardest papers for them, judge the speech contests, etc.

Back to the original post: what is the amount of the payraise? And is this legislation finalized? And since the two job markets are so different, will it have any effect on farang teachers?

Some middle-aged Thai teachers at govt. schools (secondary, anyway) make between 22K and 27K.  The 100% differential is when you're comparing some new rajabat graduate who's in their first year of teaching.

Ajarn, did you mention pension?  That's extremely important.

The disparity in working hours varies.  Last year, I taught 10 contact hours per week.  Now, 17 to 19 (upwards of 623 students per week!).  But some Thais put in 23, and have to attend meetings we don't.  Many of them are so dedicated to the job that they hardly have a life, other than family at home. 

But they're not native speakers of English, and that's what 99% of the farang teachers are.  Totally different, almost totally.  At least, a different market.  But if you're teaching 10 hours and they're teaching 21, they don't think you're that different, and then they'll ask you to grade their hardest papers for them, judge the speech contests, etc.

Back to the original post: what is the amount of the payraise?  And is this legislation finalized?  And since the two job markets are so different, will it have any effect on farang teachers?

Yeah, pensions...I'm supposed to have one- at retirement age or death, but I've never tried to follow-up because I assumed the amounts we'd be talking would be miniscule to me... But The SS Health care I did think was the greatest 'perk' for legal employees in Thailand. I've used that a few times, once hospitalized... Much better than the 30 baht 'scheme' (love this place- lots of big clues everywhere :D ) But, still, not as good as the Government Officials (Karachakans), which would include all government teachers in all government schools... Another plus for many Thai teachers.

But not all. There are still tons of good Thai teachers working in the private sector- sometimes even in government schools. These teachers get (usually) less money anf fewer benefits than anyone except, maybe, the Phlipinos and Indians. And, like all Thai teachers, they have tons of extra time committments- not so bad at the universities, though. But, like you said, there always seemed to be someone chasing me down for something 'extra'. I was rarely successful at staying out of their reach :D

As for the original question, I still sense that these higher salaries are ONLY meant for Karachakans- afterall, the government salary for foreign 'Ajarn Piset' hasn't risen in 10 years, at that was teeny-tiny anyway... I remember my English Dept. head telling me, in response to why CMU is the only government university paying less than the minimum PT wage of 300 baht per hour...."Why should we raise our rate when we have them (farangs) pounding on our door for 200?" She's still right, today. Rarely a shortage of qualified applicants to most decent government universities.

That was in 1994.... CMU, last I heard, still doesn't pay that 300 baht per hour to PT across the board.... But, if a Thai university teacher teaches more than 9 hours per week, they get 300, and often much more.

All in all, I never felt seriously out of balance, even with all the differences... Apples and Oranges, mostly. It's quite a kicked-back teaching life at most universities- unlike most any Prathom or Mathayom school, ime. Everyone complains, and many of the biggest complainers have been in their job for a decade or more. Kinda makes me think they successfully integrated into the Thai Academic Life. :D Outside of the nastiest office politics I've witnessed in any western office, the university is a nice safe life for a teacher, I think... :o

But The SS Health care I did think was the greatest 'perk' for legal employees in Thailand. I've used that a few times, once hospitalized... Much better than the 30 baht 'scheme'

What's this SS health care, who qualifies for it?

Social Security system... It covers ALL legal workers in Thailand, regardless of nationality. It also includes a pension, unemployment insurance(farangs?) and even some dental,or so I've been told.

In addition Thailand has some excellent Labour laws, and the Labour Court seems quite good, favoring the employee in the majority of cases I've known about or heard about over the years. Labour groups in Thailand are very active, politically.

Here is where you can get more details...

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/searc/labourlaw/TH...tion3_frame.htm

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ss...99/thailand.htm (not up to date)

Ajarn,

I'm not 100% sure that SS does cover the average private language school teacher. I did print out the docs that Sumitr man sent me (remember I was going to get them translated?) but the ladies here said it didn't apply (and I'm pretty sure they checked with MoE or Labor Dept!) to us? If you have any proof or info to prove me wrong (and I'd love to be wrong in this matter) let me know and I'll pass it on to them.

Ajarn,

I'm not 100% sure that SS does cover the average private language school teacher. I did print out the docs that Sumitr man sent me (remember I was going to get them translated?) but the ladies here said it didn't apply (and I'm pretty sure they checked with MoE or Labor Dept!) to us? If you have any proof or info to prove me wrong (and I'd love to be wrong in this matter) let me know and I'll pass it on to them.

Ken, all I know is from personal experience... I've used my SS card 3 times. Once in 1991, when I was a teacher in a UN refugee camp, once in 1993, when I was a teacher at CMU, and once in 1998, when I was a DoS in Bkk...

When I used the system, I wasn't working for any private school (the law says "Separate programs for civil servants and private school teachers")

Maybe someone from your company could contact the SS office to find out the program available for private school teachers... It could be that the program mentioned for private schools is the same as for government employees, which would be better than SS, or so I've read....

I'd forgotten about the private school exemption when I'd earlier said ALL legal employees in Thailand are covered :o , but, still, there does seem to be something there for the private school teacher, too.

Good luck in untangling the mess :D