Crackdown On Bangkok Prostitutes

george

Minister leads round-up of Bangkok prostitutes

BANGKOK: -- Social Development and Human Security Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom today led a police crusade against prostitutes operating in Bangkok's Lumpini Park, rounding up over 30 prostitutes in what he vowed would be the beginning of a concerted government effort to crack down on the local sex trade.

Keen to show that the clampdown was intended for the welfare of the prostitutes, rather than simply a heavy-handed police operation, the minister personally questioned each of the sex workers about their backgrounds.

The picture that emerged was one of poverty, debts and low education.

Some of the prostitutes had been government workers, but had been forced into the sex trade by debts.

Another had given birth only two months previously. Some were men and transsexuals.

Mr. Sora-at said that the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security had set up a team together with the police to solve the problem of prostitution.

He also promised that psychologists would question prostitutes about their backgrounds in an attempt to address the problem at its roots.

However, he conceded that current legislation, with fines for prostitution standing at a mere Bt1,000, did much to encourage the sex trade.

His comments were borne out by the continued presence of prostitutes in Lumpini Park, as he was making his statement at Lumpini police station, a mere 100 metres away.

--TNA 2004-11-12

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some.... had been forced into the sex trade by debts.

He also promised ... to address the problem at its roots.

What is the solution? "fines for prostitution standing at a mere Bt1,000" is too low? Is this the root of the problem? Raising the fines will help the prostitutes to handle their debts?

Is he that thick, or is the article written to make it look this way? The article doesn't mention any suggestions made by Klinpratoom to tackle the root of the problem. To merely establish that "The picture that emerged was one of poverty, debts and low education" you don't need an army of psychologists and social workers, I could have told him this after walking through Lumpini park once, without fining anybody.

Some.... had been forced into the sex trade by debts.

He also promised ... to address the problem at its roots.

What is the solution?  "fines for prostitution standing at a mere Bt1,000" is too low? Is this the root of the problem? Raising the fines will help the prostitutes to handle their debts?

Is he that thick, or is the article written to make it look this way? The article doesn't mention any suggestions made by Klinpratoom to tackle the root of the problem. To merely establish that "The picture that emerged was one of poverty, debts and low education" you don't need an army of psychologists and social workers, I could have told him this after walking through Lumpini park once, without fining anybody.

thick..well he is a Thai minister after all.

I hope Thai officials do read those posts, they will then understand the cause of the problem. My opinion is:

We foreigners created prostitution at the first place by offering Thai's money they could never make that easy by working regurarly jobs. For example a standard price for one night with a Thai is around 1000-1500 Bht; when if the Thai was just working she/he would make around 6000-10000 Bht/month on a six days week, 8to 10 daily. If you do the Maths you will see that that 6 customers equal a full months salary and they can sleep for the rest of the month!

To get out of this:

a) Thai goverment should help Thai's get free college education, including free books! Yes, there are a lot of Thai's who can't afford buying their own books and their farmer parents most likely don't want them educated, they want them on the working on the farm!

:o We foreigners must STOP being SO CHEAP and not offer them money for sex. We're the ones to be blamed for prostitution, especially the "savors" foreigners who take care of "poor" Thai's, for the "Thai's" good! The biggest lie ever! Them are just the cheapest of all! Can't get laid and use their little money (because if they had more they would stay at their countries), to CORRUPT Thai's. Especially all these DISGUSTING old men who makes me want to puke everytime I go to Pattaya or BKK. How much of a low estime do U guys have? No one can like you with out your money? NO ONE??? Going the easy way and have sexual partners which you know that they feel disgusted by your touch??? How low is that? Do U deserve that???? Don't U deserve someone who would appreciate U as you are? What's wrong with U? Just try it!

I hope Thai officials do read those posts, they will then understand the cause of the problem. My opinion is:

We foreigners created prostitution at the first place by offering Thai's money they could never make that easy by working regurarly jobs. For example a standard price for one night with a Thai is around 1000-1500 Bht; when if the Thai was just working she/he would make around 6000-10000 Bht/month on a six days week, 8to 10 daily. If you do the Maths you will see that that 6 customers equal a full months salary and they can sleep for the rest of the month!

To get out of this:

a) Thai goverment should help Thai's get free college education, including free books! Yes, there are a lot of Thai's who can't afford buying their own books and their farmer parents most likely don't want them educated, they want them on the working on the farm!

:o We foreigners must STOP being SO CHEAP and not offer them money for sex. We're the ones to be blamed for prostitution, especially the "savors" foreigners who take care of "poor" Thai's, for the "Thai's" good! The biggest lie ever! Them are just the cheapest of all! Can't get laid and use their little money (because if they had more they would stay at their countries), to CORRUPT Thai's. Especially all these DISGUSTING old men who makes me want to puke everytime I go to Pattaya or BKK. How much of a low estime do U guys have? No one can like you with out your money? NO ONE??? Going the easy way and have sexual partners which you know that they feel disgusted by your touch??? How low is that? Do U deserve that???? Don't U deserve someone who would appreciate U as you are? What's wrong with U? Just try it!

Oh, come on! You can't possibly believe that foreigners created, or even support the majority of, Thai prostitution! There are brothels in every village, town, and city in this country...and they sure as heck aren't serving farangs.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sorry Prostitution throughout SE Asia is 95% for locals not foreigners. The areas such as Nana. Cowboy and Silom are just but the tip of the iceberg.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sorry Prostitution throughout SE Asia is 95% for locals not foreigners. The areas such as Nana. Cowboy and Silom are just but the tip of the iceberg.

I'd say 99% would be closer to the truth...

Update / Related news:

Prostitutes and beggars to face deportation

Over 6,000 prostitutes arrested

BANGKOK, Nov 12 (TNA) -- Social Development and Human Security Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom today unveiled a new crackdown on beggars and prostitutes, warning that foreign victims of such rackets would face immediate deportation.

Speaking after the ministry's monthly meeting, Mr. Sora-at said that the deportations would follow an agreement recently signed in Myanmar by five countries in the region.

Prior to deportation, all the foreigners will, however, undergo rehabilitation and skills training.

Mr. Sora-at said that liaison with Cambodia on the issue of deportation was currently more advanced than liaison with other countries, with the establishment of a joint committee to address the problem of human trafficking.

He also pointed to a clear division of labour among immigrants from different countries, with Cambodians turning to begging, while people from Myanmar working in local factories, and people from Laos working as domestic servants.

Acknowledging that the problem had been insufficiently studied in the past, the minister promised that from now on, the issue would be tackled at its roots.

"This is offensive action to solve the problem of poverty, in line with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's pronouncements on poverty elimination throughout the country", he said, adding that the crackdown would require close cooperation with local officials.

Last year police from Bangkok's Lumpini district arrested over 4,000 prostitutes, with a further 2,500 arrested from January to October this year.

--TNA 2004-11-12

Source: http://www.mcot.org/query.php?nid=32756

I have friends who work with a charity providing health advice and free treatments to the Prostitues working around Lumpini. They also provide similar help around the bars.

They have repeatedly said that the street walkers are generally people with real problems, they lack the social networks that exist in the bars and they are often from pitiful backgrounds.

This is not to say they are all victims, but to victimise them with police crackdowns only heaps more problems on people who are already struggling.

A typical Manage the Symptoms repsonse from a government bereft of any compassion..

Its a cultural thing, stupid. Historic, embedded. Demand and supply. Demand will always be there. It may be driven off the streets but will thrive behind closed doors. The pimps always find a way. The Dutch approach seems to work well (official red light district of Amsterdam). The minister will grab those who are most readily to hand, give himself lots of nice publicity (its all wonderful salacious media fodder) and use it in a future election campaign. Then the issue will diappear.

More Thai Ting tong.

One day these useless politicians will work out that problems like this will never go away,and their time would be better focusing on the war on poverty,the war on education,the war on drugs ,etc etc.

Some of the headlines really stun me,I mean really ,Is this newsworthy?Will this buy this moron some more political cred??

hmmm Maybe he lives in Lumpini!!!!

To get out of this:

Oh, come on! You can't possibly believe that foreigners created, or even support the majority of, Thai prostitution! There are brothels in every village, town, and city in this country...and they sure as heck aren't serving farangs.

Help fight prostitution,  make them give it away :D

I agree with filippos that the way to go would be to ban all foreigners from Thailand. This would solve 99% of the countries woes. That the hookers (or many of them) would starve who really gives a toss.

And thats about as sick as the rest of these knights in shining armour (in the form of one of the head waiters minions) could come up with :o

To get out of this:

Possibly the dumbest post I have ever read.....

Fillipos, you are funny : we foreigners, are supposed to have "imported" prostitution to Thailand :o

As far as we all know, prostitution has always existed for centuries all around the world.

I came here in 1976 when I was a kid and there already were a lot a girls selling their body to LOCAL people.

I've been traveling a lot in my life, visiting a lot of countries all around the word .... and I've seen prostitution in ALL the countries I've been to.

Prostitution is a part of any country's culture, of human civilization, you can not stop it ... and, honnestly, why would you ?