Crackdown On Bangkok Prostitutes

george

I will agree that the current government seems determined to ruin the entertainment industry. Early closings, drug checks in the discos and now driving the ladies out of sight will certainly reduce the number of punters visiting the LOS. If that is the goal, then Thaksin may get his wish.

If I was the Prime Minister of Thailand I would also do all I could to keep sex tourists away from my country. I would draft laws where customers would be arrested for engaging in an illegal activity.

Would you not do the same for your own people ?

To rid Thailand of sex tourists would be a great achievment and would probably get Thaksin the Nobel prize, and I for one would be behind him all the way.

The sooner Thailand is rid of the scum that arrives to exploit her people, the better it will be for all concerned.

Are you for real or in love with seeing your self in print!

Wow, thanks for the contribution to this thread, it was a well thought out and worthy addition. Did you write it all yourself?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to a post as dumb as filippos, but here goes.

You do not see Thai johns with Thai prostitutes for a couple reasons:

1) You have probably never been anywhere in Thailand outside the Patpong-Nana-Cowboy-Patong-Pattaya circuit. It's a big, big country out there;

2) Thai men have parents, wives, colleagues, children, and do not parade around the streets with obvious whores on their arms like tourists do! They are a bit more discreet than that...their shenanigans take place behind the closed doors of windowless massage parlors, short-time hotels, back alley "tea houses" and "cafes", and hidden corners of places like Sanam Luang and Chinatown. More sophisticated Thai Johns make contact with student prostitutes through the internet and phone services, all away from prying eyes.

There was a study a while ago that showed that the vast, vast majority of Thai boys lost their virginity to prostitutes -- many on the introduction of their fathers. It is so deeply ingrained in Thai society, from centuries before the first round eye even stepped foot in this country, that only a small "blip" on the scale would be registered if sex tourism stopped completely.

I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to a post as dumb as filippos, but here goes.

1)  You have probably never been anywhere in Thailand outside the Patpong-Nana-Cowboy-Patong-Pattaya circuit.  It's a big, big country out there;

2)  Thai men have parents, wives, colleagues, children, and do not parade around the streets with obvious whores on their arms like tourists do!  They are a bit more discreet than that...their shenanigans take place behind the closed doors of windowless massage parlors, short-time hotels, back alley "tea houses" and "cafes", and hidden corners of places like Sanam Luang and Chinatown.  More sophisticated Thai Johns make contact with student prostitutes through the internet and phone services, all away from prying eyes.

There was a study a while ago that showed that the vast, vast majority of Thai boys lost their virginity to prostitutes -- many on the introduction of their fathers.  It is so deeply ingrained in Thai society, from centuries before the first round eye even stepped foot in this country, that only a small "blip" on the scale would be registered if sex tourism stopped completely.

The number of prostitues would hardly change if sex tourism stopped tomorrow. But the number of tourists arriving would certainly drop along with the amount of foreign exchange they bring. Thailand seems determined to halt sex tourism and replace it with 'normal' tourism. It is a worthy goal, I am not sure they can make it fly.

It's also worthwhile to note that this good-hearted Minister appears to be cracking down on the lowest rung of the prostitution chain: streetwalkers. In typical Thai fashion, it looks like he cares most about only that which is in plain sight...he and his cronies obviously don't want to give up their Friday afternoon massage parlor visits.

1)  You have probably never been anywhere in Thailand outside the Patpong-Nana-Cowboy-Patong-Pattaya circuit.  It's a big, big country out there;

2)  Thai men have parents, wives, colleagues, children, and do not parade around the streets with obvious whores on their arms like tourists do!  They are a bit more discreet than that...their shenanigans take place behind the closed doors of windowless massage parlors, short-time hotels, back alley "tea houses" and "cafes", and hidden corners of places like Sanam Luang and Chinatown.  More sophisticated Thai Johns make contact with student prostitutes through the internet and phone services, all away from prying eyes.

There was a study a while ago that showed that the vast, vast majority of Thai boys lost their virginity to prostitutes -- many on the introduction of their fathers.  It is so deeply ingrained in Thai society, from centuries before the first round eye even stepped foot in this country, that only a small "blip" on the scale would be registered if sex tourism stopped completely.

The number of prostitues would hardly change if sex tourism stopped tomorrow. But the number of tourists arriving would certainly drop along with the amount of foreign exchange they bring. Thailand seems determined to halt sex tourism and replace it with 'normal' tourism. It is a worthy goal, I am not sure they can make it fly.

What is "normal "tourism since I was 14 ( too long ago ) right up to now holidays always meant a time of more sex , with or without the regular partner ( the holiday that is ) , including the real luxury of after lunch specials and pre dinner early evenings ..isn`t that a main part of holidays .?

The % of prostitutes wouldn't change much without falang targeted prostitution.... but the type of girls (poor Issan gals of all ages, single mothers, near retirement age mainstream prostitutes, etc.) who work this section of the industry would certainly have much much less to live on. It could even mean a trend towards mass migration to the west for these types, not unlike migrant Mexican apple and orange pickers from Mexico to the US.

:o

but the type of girls (poor Issan gals of all ages, single mothers, near retirement age mainstream prostitutes, etc.) who work this section of the industry would certainly have much much less to live on.

:D

you are enjoying rubbing it in aren't you

:o

No rubbing. I'm merely agreeing with those who point out that most prostitution is local market, not foreign. But to think that all those 40 year old bargirls on Walking Street can just hop over to Galaxy Bangsaan or Forte to get a job is off the mark as well. They are likely going to go hungry and have to resort to serious crime. Not too many locals give girls opportunities such as:

Joe Falang: "I know your vagina is on the verge of falling out from turning tricks for 20 years, but I think it's just because you didn't finish junior high, and as I've gotten to know you over the past 4 days, I know you have a good heart. So I've arranged to send you to English class and will set up a hair salon for you (which you could've done yourself if you just saved 3 months sex wages in a row at some point in the last 20 years... but hey, who plans that far ahead?). What say you?

Bargirl: "Up to you."

I hope Thai officials do read those posts, they will then understand the cause of the problem. My opinion is:

We foreigners created prostitution at the first place by offering Thai's money they could never make that easy by working regurarly jobs. For example a standard price for one night with a Thai is around 1000-1500 Bht; when if the Thai was just working she/he would make around 6000-10000 Bht/month on a six days week, 8to 10 daily. If you do the Maths you will see that that 6 customers equal a full months salary and they can sleep for the rest of the month!

To get out of this:

a) Thai goverment should help Thai's get free college education, including free books! Yes, there are a lot of Thai's who can't afford buying their own books and their farmer parents most likely don't want them educated, they want them on the working on the farm!

:o We foreigners must STOP being SO CHEAP and not offer them money for sex. We're the ones to be blamed for prostitution, especially the "savors" foreigners who take care of "poor" Thai's, for the "Thai's" good! The biggest lie ever! Them are just the cheapest of all! Can't get laid and use their little money (because if they had more they would stay at their countries), to CORRUPT Thai's. Especially all these DISGUSTING old men who makes me want to puke everytime I go to Pattaya or BKK. How much of a low estime do U guys have? No one can like you with out your money? NO ONE??? Going the easy way and have sexual partners which you know that they feel disgusted by your touch??? How low is that? Do U deserve that???? Don't U deserve someone who would appreciate U as you are? What's wrong with U? Just try it!

................................................................................

I cannot agree with Philippos.

The idea of prostitution clearly preceeds the massive presence of farangs in Thailand.

there is certainly no explicit Buddha teaching on prostitution, a daughter or wife must be obedient and good towards her father husband or respected elders. The fear of eternal damnation I do not thing arises in the same sense as it does in the other major religions.

I do not think Thais consider this as a mortal sin, try the chambermaids in hotels, many sales girls,waitresses, one can really see a very relaxed attitude and furthermore sex for money is on many occasions a recreational type of activity with good humour,laughter and good will from both sides,in my own experiences anyway, devoid of the raw disdain and hatred encountered in similar circumstances with other nationalities.

No, prostitution is an accepted way of life in Thailand.We farangs simply take advantage of an existing regime, we did not create it.

It is in our interest to behave properly, keep a low profile, be reasonably generous and this unbelievable bonanza of fresh splendid women available at one minute's notice for a modest amount, can continue to exist.

The picture that emerged was one of poverty, debts and low education.

Some.... had been forced into the sex trade by debts.

He also promised ... to address the problem at its roots.

What is the solution?  "fines for prostitution standing at a mere Bt1,000" is too low? Is this the root of the problem? Raising the fines will help the prostitutes to handle their debts?

Is he that thick, or is the article written to make it look this way? The article doesn't mention any suggestions made by Klinpratoom to tackle the root of the problem. To merely establish that "The picture that emerged was one of poverty, debts and low education" you don't need an army of psychologists and social workers, I could have told him this after walking through Lumpini park once, without fining anybody.

thick..well he is a Thai minister after all.

Grupen Furer Thaksin has a cold today and is having a day off, how is a minister to know how to think without the boss telling him. Have a heart :o

I will agree that the current government seems determined to ruin the entertainment industry. Early closings, drug checks in the discos and now driving the ladies out of sight will certainly reduce the number of punters visiting the LOS. If that is the goal, then Thaksin may get his wish.

If I was the Prime Minister of Thailand I would also do all I could to keep sex tourists away from my country. I would draft laws where customers would be arrested for engaging in an illegal activity.

Would you not do the same for your own people ?

To rid Thailand of sex tourists would be a great achievment and would probably get Thaksin the Nobel prize, and I for one would be behind him all the way.

The sooner Thailand is rid of the scum that arrives to exploit her people, the better it will be

Are you for real or in love with seeing your self in print!

Wow, thanks for the contribution to this thread, it was a well thought out and worthy addition. Did you write it all yourself?

The good Doctor is a fine upstanding moralist who would not dream of engaging the services of a lady of the night. :o

No matter what way you look at it, the Thai government are slowly chipping away at the incentives that attract many of the Farangs to Thailand in the first place. They seem bent on getting rid of the type of Farang who visits Thailand for the ladies and bars.

Think about it...First they close the bars early, then arrange high profile random drug tests in bars and night clubs and now they are herding up prostitutes.

the girls in Lumpini mostly go with Thai males not farangs .

they are 500 baht shortimers , and a rough lot too

Update / Related news:

Prostitutes and beggars to face deportation

Over 6,000 prostitutes arrested 

BANGKOK, Nov 12 (TNA) -- Social Development and Human Security Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom today unveiled a new crackdown on beggars and prostitutes, warning that foreign victims of such rackets would face immediate deportation.

Speaking after the ministry's monthly meeting, Mr. Sora-at said that the deportations would follow an agreement recently signed in Myanmar by five countries in the region.

Prior to deportation, all the foreigners will, however, undergo rehabilitation and skills training.

Mr. Sora-at said that liaison with Cambodia on the issue of deportation was currently more advanced than liaison with other countries, with the establishment of a joint committee to address the problem of human trafficking.

He also pointed to a clear division of labour among immigrants from different countries, with Cambodians turning to begging, while people from Myanmar working in local factories, and people from Laos working as domestic servants.

Acknowledging that the problem had been insufficiently studied in the past, the minister promised that from now on, the issue would be tackled at its roots.

"This is offensive action to solve the problem of poverty, in line with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's pronouncements on poverty elimination throughout the country", he said, adding that the crackdown would require close cooperation with local officials.

Last year police from Bangkok's Lumpini district arrested over 4,000 prostitutes, with a further 2,500 arrested from January to October this year. 

--TNA 2004-11-12

Source: http://www.mcot.org/query.php?nid=32756

Prostitutes, beggars, illegal immigrants, poverty, through it all in one basket, and the solution is to deport the lot. That will solve the issue of poverty at its roots. Another fine idea of shameless leader. Another major blunder by the Thai government.

"This is offensive action ..." - indeed.

I hope Thai officials do read those posts, they will then understand the cause of the problem. My opinion is:

We foreigners created prostitution at the first place by offering Thai's money they could never make that easy by working regurarly jobs. For example a standard price for one night with a Thai is around 1000-1500 Bht; when if the Thai was just working she/he would make around 6000-10000 Bht/month on a six days week, 8to 10 daily. If you do the Maths you will see that that 6 customers equal a full months salary and they can sleep for the rest of the month!

To get out of this:

:o We foreigners must STOP being SO CHEAP and not offer them money for sex. We're the ones to be blamed for prostitution, especially the "savors" foreigners who take care of "poor" Thai's, for the "Thai's" good! The biggest lie ever! Them are just the cheapest of all! Can't get laid and use their little money (because if they had more they would stay at their countries), to CORRUPT Thai's. Especially all these DISGUSTING old men who makes me want to puke everytime I go to Pattaya or BKK. How much of a low estime do U guys have? No one can like you with out your money? NO ONE??? Going the easy way and have sexual partners which you know that they feel disgusted by your touch??? How low is that? Do U deserve that???? Don't U deserve someone who would appreciate U as you are? What's wrong with U? Just try it!

I'm voting for fillipos for prez.

Stop paying for prostitues today!! Demand free service!! :D

Poverty, debt and low education was mentioned as reason for prostituition.

Well it is correct, so we know where to change.

Offer better education and the present actors will be replaced by poor, low educated immigrants. In a sense this does exist in Thailand, already, neighbours from poorer countries come in.

The Thais in the business who want to make more money, move to other neighbour countries. Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan come to my mind.

Still, with a better education you get rid of prositution forced by poverty. You will not get rid of prositution as such, just increase the price.

Where there is a demand there is a supply.

To blame the foreigners is nonsense. They do not come here to establish the system, they come here to make use of an existing supply line at resonable prices.

To repat, offer education and you lead a certain percentage of the profession to other income sources. The rest will be free lance, highly educated and expensive or low IQ and still expensive. Final result, prices like Hong Kong, Taipei or Japan where a farang just cannot take part in the game anymore, to pay the prices only local people acccept.

To get out of this:

a) Thai goverment should help Thai's get free college education, including free books! Yes, there are a lot of Thai's who can't afford buying their own books and their farmer parents most likely don't want them educated, they want them on the working on the farm!

:D We foreigners must STOP being SO CHEAP and not offer them money for sex. We're the ones to be blamed for prostitution, especially the "savors" foreigners who take care of "poor" Thai's, for the "Thai's" good! The biggest lie ever! Them are just the cheapest of all! Can't get laid and use their little money (because if they had more they would stay at their countries), to CORRUPT Thai's. Especially all these DISGUSTING old men who makes me want to puke everytime I go to Pattaya or BKK. How much of a low estime do U guys have? No one can like you with out your money? NO ONE??? Going the easy way and have sexual partners which you know that they feel disgusted by your touch??? How low is that? Do U deserve that???? Don't U deserve someone who would appreciate U as you are? What's wrong with U? Just try it!

<<<< :o SUFFERING CATS!!>>>>

several people, several meanings! i am living on the countryside. here are a small numbers of farangs, but a lot of prostitutes. we farangs didnt create the prostitution, we are using it. thats all. and we cant destroy prostitution. and not the law or a government. because its a part of the thai-life style. and if the minister likes to go to the roots, he must forbid motorbikes, television, aso. this is not possible. so i must tell the minister, sorry, you are talking about circumstances, which you never understood. so, please, let the thai people do theit own life! you are not a part of this life. you are wealthy and without knowledge. sorry, to say this. but its the truth. please, forgive me.

Poverty, debt and low education was mentioned as reason for prostituition.

Well it is correct, so we know where to change.

Offer better education and the present actors will be replaced by poor, low educated immigrants. In a sense this does exist in Thailand, already, neighbours from poorer countries come in.

The Thais in the business who want to make more money, move to other neighbour countries. Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan come to my mind.

Still, with a better education you get rid of prositution forced by poverty. You will not get rid of prositution as such, just increase the price.

Where there is a demand there is a supply.

To blame the foreigners is nonsense. They do not come here to establish the system, they come here to make use of an existing supply line at resonable prices.

To repat, offer education and you lead a certain percentage of the profession to other income sources. The rest will be free lance, highly educated and expensive or low IQ and still expensive. Final result, prices like Hong Kong, Taipei or Japan where a farang just cannot take part in the game anymore, to pay the prices only local people acccept.

To get out of this:

:D We foreigners must STOP being SO CHEAP and not offer them money for sex. We're the ones to be blamed for prostitution, especially the "savors" foreigners who take care of "poor" Thai's, for the "Thai's" good! The biggest lie ever! Them are just the cheapest of all! Can't get laid and use their little money (because if they had more they would stay at their countries), to CORRUPT Thai's. Especially all these DISGUSTING old men who makes me want to puke everytime I go to Pattaya or BKK. How much of a low estime do U guys have? No one can like you with out your money? NO ONE??? Going the easy way and have sexual partners which you know that they feel disgusted by your touch??? How low is that? Do U deserve that???? Don't U deserve someone who would appreciate U as you are? What's wrong with U? Just try it!

<<<< :o SUFFERING CATS!!>>>>

Thaksin is a Pussycat compared to what laws and crackdowns I would unleash on all that come to Thailand to abuse the laws and exploit the people.

Moralists are all the same . . . they'd like to force the entire world to live according to their own personal ideals and values. What they don't like they'd happily and stupidly illegalize if it were within their power. Fortunately, it's not.

What's next, Dr. John, book burnings? Kill all the intellectuals and free-thinkers? Censorship of anything you don't agree with based on your set of morales? How many times has that philosophy miserably failed throughout history? And for good reasons, too.

The core problem with the line of thinking that moralists take is who among the world's population gets to make up the rules of life for the rest of the world to follow? If you were honest with yourself, Dr. John, I think you'd readily admit that you wouldn't want to be forced to live your life according to someone else's preferences. You'd much rather choose your own. And neither would many people want to live by yours standards.

As long as people want prostitution it will be there. As long as people make those choices they will create the outlets to express those choices. Nothing you or anybody else will ever be able to do about it. Your only real and practical choice is to get your own life and live it the way you see fit; for yourself.

Thailand is a mecca for people who enjoy the freedom of sexual proclivity that exists here. Nothing wrong with that! How prostitution started, what the ratio truly is between farangs and khon Thais who engage in it, and all of the other factors relating to it, none of that is neither here nor there. Just don't pretend to know what the experience translates to on the part of the Thai girls. You couldn't possibly know.

A few farang sex tourists crucified on the Beach Road in Pattaya may help deter sex tourists.  :o

I can't understand what's the fuss about sex tourists. In the end you don't really know a foreign country until you've shagged the locals and as such sex tourists contribute to a greater cultural awareness among countries.

You really are a &lt;deleted&gt;, try looking off the beaten track and you will see as may girls who work only with Thais, of course if you only look at walking street you will see farrangs, its a tourist street.

You sound more like a Thai girl who has been hurt by a farrang, and promised the world for free sex or a Thai man who can't afford to pay for it rather than a serious poster.

Prostitution was here long before the farrangs started coming.

Love ppl being rude when they face reality. I'm a male young farung with two masters and I can afford what ever I want, honestly and all. I had my 2 years LD Thai relationship and I was sick seeing all of his friends with these older FARUNGS, and I heard their stories, slept in their rooms, visiting their families,, and I wasn't contributing a cent, we spent as much as we both could afford. Like a normal relationship.

The way U talk and your quote under each of your message shows that you obviously are an ugly middle age forung who can't have a gf without paying for her. You freak out with the idea of prostitution banning because your sex life will have an early death. The truth is that since U depend on prostitution for sex, your sex life is already dead and I'm sorry for that. Sex isn't about performing, is about sharing emotions. That's something U can't pay for... I'm sorry...

And all the rest who're trying to hold on the who started and the percentages of Thai's/Farungs concerning prostitution, obviously are seeking for excuses. The only truth is that you're HELPING their CORRUPTION; not that it's not their fault too, obviously I'd rather sleep in a tent for the rest of my life than prostituting. But still, there are a lot of Thai's who wouldn't be corrupted if it wasn't so easy because of the huge demand for young bodies on sale.

Guys... You all deserve a healthy relationship, there's someone for U out there. Don't seek the easy solution, beacause this is just a supplement and U know it...

######, I sound like Jesus! :o

[

Oh, come on!  You can't possibly believe that foreigners created, or even support the majority of, Thai prostitution!  There are brothels in every village, town, and city in this country...and they sure as heck aren't serving farangs.

I do actually believe that foreigners playthe bigger part of it. Of course there are locals who look for prostitution as in every country in the world, but trully...

When you walk in BKK or Pataya do U see prostitutes with Thai's or foreigners?

And how much money would a Thai give to his prostitute and how much will a foreigner give? Of course Thailand is a sex- tourism getaway, and of course the foreigners with their western overload of money support it; and most of the times they even go further with fake promises just to get freebies... And this will never change... Unfortunatelly...

What can change is help those young boys and girls to study and offer them better working conditions, and support the agriculture or give them alternative working options.

It's basic economics: the less the demand- the less the production...

Dumb beyond belief..........

That's a very intelligent comment U made... Wow! I'm impressed! BTW, I don't want prostitution banning, this is against democracy. I'm just saying: DON'T COME TO THAILAND FOR SEX! Stop taking advantage of poorer people just because you were lucky enough to be born in a wealthier country, In a few words: GET A LIFE!

I can't understand what's the fuss about sex tourists. In the end you don't really know a foreign country until you've shagged the locals and as such sex tourists contribute to a greater cultural awareness among countries.

You must be kidding! :o

No.