Govt Launches Crackdown Against Fireworks

george

Govt launches crackdown against fireworks

BANGKOK: -- Less than ten years ago it was common to see Thai youths throwing fireworks indiscriminately during festivals, but today the government tightened its grip on fireworks by announcing that no less than five ministries would work together to help address the problem.

Mr. Issra Shoatburakarn, the Director-General of the Department of Industrial Works, said that the Ministry of Industry would spearhead the drive to control the production, possession, sale and use of fireworks and the raw materials used to produce them.

The ministry will work closely with the Ministries of Interior, Public Health, Defence and Labour to produce a unified set of criteria to be used in granting licenses to fireworks manufacturers and traders.

The five ministers involved will sign a declaration as soon as possible in order that it can be enforced before the Loy Krathong festival at the end of this month.

--TNA 2004-11-13

Once again they arrange the crackdown at a time when all the retailers have stocked up on fireworks for the holiday period. The perfect time to do most harm to those at the end of the chain.

Why oh why can't they get it into their heads to think ahead and plan these things. Don't want fireworks at Loi Kratong, publicise the fact from Songkhran onwards.

Decent words fail me and I don't want to set a bad example, so I will stop here.

Once again they arrange the crackdown at a time when all the retailers have stocked up on fireworks for the holiday period. The perfect time to do most harm to those at the end of the chain.

Why oh why can't they get it into their heads to think ahead and plan these things. Don't want fireworks at Loi Kratong, publicise the fact from Songkhran onwards.

Decent words fail me and I don't want to set a bad example, so I will stop here.

Let's face it, the Thai gov't just cannot get it together, at least by Western standards. I would be thrilled if they banned fireworks from all individuals. I almost lost an eye during Chinese New Year several years ago. Some fool Thai threw a large firecracker right into a group on Walking St. Now I stay in on holidays where fireworks are common. :o

Each year in the U.S. 13,000 people are treated in emergency rooms because of severe injuries from malfunction or careless use of fireworks. Seven of every 100 people injured from fireworks require hospitalization. Over 40% of those injured from fireworks are children ages 0-14. Males are injured three times as frequently as females. The most frequently injured body sites are the hands and fingers (38%) and the eyes (19%). About half the injuries are burns. Also, fireworks can be life-threatening when they cause a house fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, fireworks result in more than $41 million in direct property damage annually. Studies suggest that state laws concerning the sale and use of fireworks are related to the number of injuries incurred. For example, in one state in which the sale of fireworks was legalized, the number of injuries seen in emergency departments more than doubled. Injuries occur around holidays associated with fireworks celebrations, especially Independence Day and New Year's Eve. Two-thirds of all fireworks injuries occur July.

Decent words fail you eh?

Thais can't get it through their heads eh ?

Read up also on firework accidents in your own country. :o

Let's face it, the Thai gov't just cannot get it together, at least by Western standards. 

Each year in the U.S. 13,000 people are treated in emergency rooms because of severe injuries from malfunction or careless use of fireworks.

What western standards do you refer to ?

love the cut and paste, repeat the point style you have adopted johnny boy

Doktor John.

Please read posts before you quote them or, worse, try to pick holes in them. Not doing so only makes you look a fool.

My post concerned the incompetence of the authorities trying to organise a ban a matter of days ahead of the big firework season. Your comments bear no relevance to this whatsoever.

It is taken as read that fireworks cause damage, injury and, yes, loss of life. Therefore there is a reason for a ban here, in the USA, Europe or where ever. Competent authorities would organise this ban before the small retailers had stocked up on goods they will now, presumably, break the law if they sell. The little people are hurt again....

Doktor John.

Please read posts before you quote them or, worse, try to pick holes in them. Not doing so only makes you look a fool.

I never read posts. :D

Haha..It's true, I have just read the original post now. Yes you are right .

I was over excited after my rantings in the prostitution thread and did not read all of your post.

Sorry about that.

Hehehe......... :o

Let's face it, the Thai gov't just cannot get it together, at least by Western standards. 

Each year in the U.S. 13,000 people are treated in emergency rooms because of severe injuries from malfunction or careless use of fireworks.

What western standards do you refer to ?

Switzerland. I was referring to the original post. Thai authorities announcing a ban after all the stores have stocked up on fireworks. Reminds me of the ban on water pipes in Pattaya before Songkran. Heaps of supplies for sale before the holiday, then make half an effort to stop revelers from using them during Songkran. :o

Thai authorities announcing a ban after all the stores have stocked up on fireworks. Reminds me of the ban on water pipes in Pattaya before Songkran. Heaps of supplies for sale before the holiday, then make half an effort to stop revelers from using them during Songkran. :o

That's probably because the vested interests own the manufacturing facilities, import companies, etc. that supply the soon-to-be banned item. Nobody gives a rat's ass about the guy who owns the small shop that ultimately gets stuck with the bill.

This fireworks ban for Loy Krathong is particularly tedious because the same song-and-dance is trotted out every November. It's announced that the authorities are really serious about controlling fireworks this year and needless to say, you'd be hard-pressed to notice a reduction in the overall noise level.

Crackdowns are certainly big in thailand.

good riddance unless in controlled areas i say.

I mean really the waterpipe thing in pattaya is a good example,I personaly dont mind getting water tipped on me by thai people enjoying their day,but fat ,balding ,tatooed,and pissed 50 year old falangs standing on the end of soi13 all day shooting water at motorcyclists on the busy n02 road really want a good slapping and locking up

Thai authorities announcing a ban after all the stores have stocked up on fireworks. Reminds me of the ban on water pipes in Pattaya before Songkran. Heaps of supplies for sale before the holiday, then make half an effort to stop revelers from using them during Songkran. :o

That's probably because the vested interests own the manufacturing facilities, import companies, etc. that supply the soon-to-be banned item. Nobody gives a rat's ass about the guy who owns the small shop that ultimately gets stuck with the bill.

This fireworks ban for Loy Krathong is particularly tedious because the same song-and-dance is trotted out every November. It's announced that the authorities are really serious about controlling fireworks this year and needless to say, you'd be hard-pressed to notice a reduction in the overall noise level.

Crackdowns are certainly big in thailand.

good riddance unless in controlled areas i say.

I mean really the waterpipe thing in pattaya is a good example,I personaly dont mind getting water tipped on me by thai people enjoying their day,but fat ,balding ,tatooed,and pissed 50 year old falangs standing on the end of soi13 all day shooting water at motorcyclists on the busy n02 road really want a good slapping and locking up

I agree with you on this ordeal of Songkran in Pattaya. The rest of the country gets it over with in a few days, Pattaya drags it out for a week. I also will except getting drenched on the proper day of Songkran, but what gets old fast is the idiot farangs who insist on shooting water everyday for entire week. I wish the Thai police would impound their water guns when appropriate. :o