Elderly Belgian Hospitalized After Roadside Incident

baabaabobo

FRom the Phuket Gazette:

Elderly Belgian hospitalized after roadside incident

PHUKET CITY: A morning cycle ride turned into a nightmare for a 68-year-old Belgian expat who was hospitalized after allegedly being knocked off his bicycle by a pickup truck and then set upon by the driver.

Paul Cassiens was cycling along Chao Fa West Rd yesterday morning when at 6:30 am his bike came into contact with a bronze Toyota Vigo pickup truck, sending him to the ground, said Mr Cassiens' wife, Khun Rattana, who rushed to the scene after receiving a phone call from a doctor based at Bangkok Hospital Phuket who had stopped to assist Mr Cassiens.

A nearby shop owner who witnessed the collision said the driver of the pickup got out of the truck and proceeded to kick and punch the elderly Belgian, alleged Khun Rattana.

K. Rattana said the pickup driver fled the scene after she asked if the police had been called.

Mr Cassiens is being treated in Bangkok Hospital Phuket's intensive care unit for a broken hip, internal bleeding, a ruptured kidney and several fractures, she added.

K. Rattana filed a report with Captain Krirkkrit Ritnueng of Phuket City Police Station.

Although Captain Krirkkri initially said that a warrant had been issued for the arrest of the driver, the Gazette has learned that the vehicle's owner, whom police have tracked down, was not the person alleged to have attacked Mr Cassiens.

Police are now waiting to speak with the owner of the pickup to determine who the driver was.

It was reported in the Phuket Gazette on Wednesday that an elderly Belgian (68) was knocked from his bicycle during his early morning exercise ride. The driver of the offending pickup then got out of his vehicle and proceeded to punch and kick the man while he was on the ground. The Belgian is now in hospital with a broken hip and leg as well as other injuries as a result. The Belgian was attended to on the site by a passing Thai doctor. The reason given for the assault was, "he scratched my truck". This in spite of the fact that the driver was running a red light and was on the wrong side of the road when he hit the cyclist.

What the Phuket Gazette did not say was that the pickup driver was taken to the police Station and then released, whereupon he returned to the accident site accompanied by a group of other people, and proceeded to make sure that the witnesses now have no recollection of the attack. The offender then made a phone call to the Belgian man's wife telling her to "tell the farang to be quiet and not say anything more or they would both be killed". The offender was obviously secure in the knowledge that the police were not going to act further as they had been paid off. Unfortunately for the offender, this news reached the ears of a very senior police general who ordered that the offender be re-arrested at 8am yesterday, and his vehicle impounded. This was done by police from outside the province. The local police captain was heard to apologise to the offender for the arrest but it was that or he would lose his job. This information was given to the Gazette, but of course they will not print it for fear of the repercussions locally. The offender is the owner of a speed boat rental company in Rawai, who makes his living from transporting tourists.

Mods, if this also offends Thai Visa's sensibilities, by all means remove this post.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it's sad.  It's all about who knows the biggest boss.  Unbelieveable the guy beats up an elderly cyclist when the driver hit the guy with a truck disobeying traffic laws.  I hope this guy has to pay out a lot of cash. Driver was the boss of the (in)famous mafia speedboats huh?

Very disturbing to be - yet again - reminded of the pure evil that walks this land. Wasn't solong ago when 2 elderly gents ((70 and 80 years) were beat uncounsious by 2 young Thai psychopaths in Pattaya, in the presence of a senior police person (not man :o ) for acccidently scratching their pickup whilst passing.

What is it with Thai men. They think nothing of savagely attacking elderly farang men and women, or young men and woman if they are in a pack. I think some of the blame has to be alloted to the promotion of nationalism (Thai Rak Thai) and they obviously know from past precidents that killing or maiming ferangs is acceptable :D:D

Jeez, what a horrific crime. The lowest of the low are living on this island. Beating an old man almost to death after knocking him off his bicycle. I'm speechless.

I hope the part about the outside cops getting involved is true and they throw the book at this scumbag and the lowlife corrupt cops too.

Sadly though, I don't expect much to happen other than the victim will be forced to relocate to another province/country. What a nightmare...all he wanted was a nice early morning bike ride.

There is a real vicious nasty side to the locals that comes out when they get behind the wheel. Its dam_n near impossible to have a nice relaxing drive anywhere around here. I just came back from a road trip through some other provinces in South Thailand and didn't encounter nearly as much road rage as I do on Phuket.

This incident needs more media attention. Be great if the international media (who aren't afraid of the perp) pick it up.

Very disturbing to be - yet again - reminded of the pure evil that walks this land. Wasn't solong ago when 2 elderly gents ((70 and 80 years) were beat uncounsious by 2 young Thai psychopaths in Pattaya, in the presence of a senior police person (not man :o ) for acccidently scratching their pickup whilst passing.

What is it with Thai men. They think nothing of savagely attacking elderly farang men and women, or young men and woman if they are in a pack. I think some of the blame has to be alloted to the promotion of nationalism (Thai Rak Thai) and they obviously know from past precidents that killing or maiming ferangs is acceptable :D:D

Why turn this incident into a racist slagfest? Why blame ''all Thai men'' for ''the pure evil that walks this land'' over a single incident of road rage? Take on board the point that your response is essentially racist, which is the core cause of hatred everywhere.Your thinking actually mirrors that of the people you condemn. If the story is accurate, this person would have kicked any cyclist, regardless of their nationality or color. A Thai probably would have been treated more savagely. To turn this into an us versus them race issue is to totally miss the point . . .but to be just as guilty as those you accuse.

- 68-year-old Belgian expat

- at 6:30 am his bike came into contact with a bronze Toyota Vigo pickup truck,

- a doctor based at Bangkok Hospital Phuket who had stopped to assist.

- driver of the pickup got out of the truck and proceeded to kick and punch the elderly Belgian

- broken hip, internal bleeding, a ruptured kidney and several fractures

-Traffic is light at 6:30AM. Was the driver able to drive? i.e. was not doped up, inbriated?

-The doctor that stopped was Thai. So, please no generalizations about Thai people as a whole being cruel etc. A Thai lady also came over to intervene.

- Injuries are consistent with either a full impact and/or a subsequent serious assault. If the subject did not receive some of these injuries in the collision, then the injuries inflicted can be considered as attempted murder. These are life threatening injuries for an elderly person, no matter how fit. This guy is going to be in pain and have a reduced quality of life for his remaining years.

The information including unsubstantiated allegations made by capex are serious.

I use the term unsubstantiated allegation, because no source or corroborating evidence is given to support the statements. That being said, it is consistent with the injuries and behaviour of the driver already reported.

If the police and prosecutor do not appreciate the severity of this event, then we're all in danger. If the local captain had to be ordered to do his job, why is that captain still in a position of authority. No I am not naive, but in any other jurisdiction, such conduct would be considered criminal conspiracy.

You just can't run down old guys out for a bit of exercise at an off peak hour and think no one is going to say anything. This does not appear to be an accident and the local authorities are either so arrogant and corrupt that they don't appreciate that once the Belgian papers get a hold of this there will be blowback. This isn't a marital dispute or bunch of druggies getting whacked that can be explained away with a wonderful fantasy story. Once I learn more about this, I intend to express my concern in my own way when I have an opportunity. I would hope others do the same.

- 68-year-old Belgian expat

- at 6:30 am his bike came into contact with a bronze Toyota Vigo pickup truck,

- a doctor based at Bangkok Hospital Phuket who had stopped to assist.

- driver of the pickup got out of the truck and proceeded to kick and punch the elderly Belgian

- broken hip, internal bleeding, a ruptured kidney and several fractures

-Traffic is light at 6:30AM. Was the driver able to drive? i.e. was not doped up, inbriated?

-The doctor that stopped was Thai. So, please no generalizations about Thai people as a whole being cruel etc. A Thai lady also came over to intervene.

- Injuries are consistent with either a full impact and/or a subsequent serious assault. If the subject did not receive some of these injuries in the collision, then the injuries inflicted can be considered as attempted murder. These are life threatening injuries for an elderly person, no matter how fit. This guy is going to be in pain and have a reduced quality of life for his remaining years.

The information including unsubstantiated allegations made by capex are serious.

I use the term unsubstantiated allegation, because no source or corroborating evidence is given to support the statements. That being said, it is consistent with the injuries and behaviour of the driver already reported.

If the police and prosecutor do not appreciate the severity of this event, then we're all in danger. If the local captain had to be ordered to do his job, why is that captain still in a position of authority. No I am not naive, but in any other jurisdiction, such conduct would be considered criminal conspiracy.

You just can't run down old guys out for a bit of exercise at an off peak hour and think no one is going to say anything. This does not appear to be an accident and the local authorities are either so arrogant and corrupt that they don't appreciate that once the Belgian papers get a hold of this there will be blowback. This isn't a marital dispute or bunch of druggies getting whacked that can be explained away with a wonderful fantasy story. Once I learn more about this, I intend to express my concern in my own way when I have an opportunity. I would hope others do the same.

In response to your understandable scepticism hence your reference to "unsubstantiated allegations", I have to say that while I was not personally there, I don't doubt the probity of the person from whom the information came, in this case, the police general. The reason for bringing Special Branch police from outside the province is nothing new and is always done when the local police are suspected of collusion. The general himself, notified the Belgian Embassy because under Thai law, where an Embassy is involved then the police must investigate the case to a conclusion, which was not going to happen in this case unless this action was taken.

I can completely share your outrage that this should happen to anyone at this age, or anyone's age for that matter. The general has taken a personal interest in this case and I would expect an outcome contrary to the one planned by the speed boat owner and his friend at the station. I would doubt that there will be much further publicity about it as that is not the way it done, buy I feel certain that there will be an acceptable outcome for the Belgian guy.

Why turn this incident into a racist slagfest? Why blame ''all Thai men'' for ''the pure evil that walks this land'' over a single incident of road rage? Take on board the point that your response is essentially racist, which is the core cause of hatred everywhere.Your thinking actually mirrors that of the people you condemn. If the story is accurate, this person would have kicked any cyclist, regardless of their nationality or color. A Thai probably would have been treated more savagely. To turn this into an us versus them race issue is to totally miss the point . . .but to be just as guilty as those you accuse.

Great that you inform us about how cruel life is here but to cover the driver and attacker behind the word racism is quite ironic. Especially here.

BTW, This is not the first time here. Have happen to me and many others. And the fact is it was a "Thai man" behind the steering wheel. What surprise me is that the Thai man not also asked for compensation for driving down the old chap. That is also more usual than unusual here.

we're all in danger

We are all in danger here . Everywhere where the population have no rights there is danger. Plain logic, no rights, nowone responsible.

You just can't run down old guys out for a bit of exercise at an off peak hour and think no one is going to say anything

This sort of things happen all the time with the local people, what rights do we have as they not have. Our Embassies....yes they will visit us at hospital / prison.

but in any other jurisdiction, such conduct would be considered criminal conspiracy.
Sorry but take a look at the traffic. Do it seems that to drive as a maniac in Thailand is considered criminal? Well there we go.......

BTW, no personal punch to you intended. Just surprised that so many who seems to have lived here for years still not have seen both sides of LOS.

we're all in danger

We are all in danger here . Everywhere where the population have no rights there is danger. Plain logic, no rights, nowone responsible.

You just can't run down old guys out for a bit of exercise at an off peak hour and think no one is going to say anything

This sort of things happen all the time with the local people, what rights do we have as they not have. Our Embassies....yes they will visit us at hospital / prison.

but in any other jurisdiction, such conduct would be considered criminal conspiracy.
Sorry but take a look at the traffic. Do it seems that to drive as a maniac in Thailand is considered criminal? Well there we go.......

BTW, no personal punch to you intended. Just surprised that so many who seems to have lived here for years still not have seen both sides of LOS.

Well said Felt 35. I feel sorry for the bloke. Hope he is OK.

If the Phuket Gazette did not run the Net News about the accident then I doubt there would have been a shake up for justice.

Gazette reporters interviewed the police on several occasions both by phone and in person regarding the case.

The police intially claimed that the owner and driver were different people. It turns out that the police man in question was telling porkie pies.

The Gazette has pressurised many departments into giving justice and there are so many cases that they cannot all make the paper.

Those that wish to criticise the reportage should reveal their names and publications so that everyone can see how it should be done.

The Gazette is the only english language newspaper on the island - it attacks all kinds of corrupt officials and ministers all over the nation, a Rawai beach thug is so immaterial that he is hardly worth mentioning in the news.

He has been twang slapped and the police have now got him by the short and curlies.

nuff said.

If the Phuket Gazette did not run the Net News about the accident then I doubt there would have been a shake up for justice.

Gazette reporters interviewed the police on several occasions both by phone and in person regarding the case.

The police intially claimed that the owner and driver were different people. It turns out that the police man in question was telling porkie pies.

The Gazette has pressurised many departments into giving justice and there are so many cases that they cannot all make the paper.

Those that wish to criticise the reportage should reveal their names and publications so that everyone can see how it should be done.

The Gazette is the only english language newspaper on the island - it attacks all kinds of corrupt officials and ministers all over the nation, a Rawai beach thug is so immaterial that he is hardly worth mentioning in the news.

He has been twang slapped and the police have now got him by the short and curlies.

nuff said.

Cyberak, I must tell you that the original story was sent to you by somebody closely connected to the police general because they were horrified that it looked as if this guy was going to get away with this act of bastardry. It is only through the continued efforts of your news paper, that justice may be seen to be done (perhaps). Your paper was not the originator of the story, but I sincerely hope that it will continue its good efforts as beleive me, there are a large number of people out there, both Thai and foreigners, who wish to see and end to this sort of thing.

A nearby shop owner who witnessed the collision said the driver of the pickup got out of the truck and proceeded to kick and punch the elderly Belgian, alleged Khun Rattana.

K. Rattana said the pickup driver fled the scene after she asked if the police had been called.

Mr Cassiens is being treated in Bangkok Hospital Phuket's intensive care unit for a broken hip, internal bleeding, a ruptured kidney and several fractures, she added.

K. Rattana filed a report with Captain Krirkkrit Ritnueng of Phuket City Police Station.

I despise bullies of any and all nationalities, although Thailand does seem to have its disproportionate share.

But I think hats off to Khun Rattana for calling the police. Especially if the perp is caught and learns who turned her in.

There really are some decent and fair minded Thais out there who also abhor this type of senseless violence...

It was reported in the Phuket Gazette on Wednesday that an elderly Belgian (68) was knocked from his bicycle during his early morning exercise ride. The driver of the offending pickup then got out of his vehicle and proceeded to punch and kick the man while he was on the ground. The Belgian is now in hospital with a broken hip and leg as well as other injuries as a result. The Belgian was attended to on the site by a passing Thai doctor. The reason given for the assault was, "he scratched my truck". This in spite of the fact that the driver was running a red light and was on the wrong side of the road when he hit the cyclist.

What the Phuket Gazette did not say was that the pickup driver was taken to the police Station and then released, whereupon he returned to the accident site accompanied by a group of other people, and proceeded to make sure that the witnesses now have no recollection of the attack. The offender then made a phone call to the Belgian man's wife telling her to "tell the farang to be quiet and not say anything more or they would both be killed". The offender was obviously secure in the knowledge that the police were not going to act further as they had been paid off. Unfortunately for the offender, this news reached the ears of a very senior police general who ordered that the offender be re-arrested at 8am yesterday, and his vehicle impounded. This was done by police from outside the province. The local police captain was heard to apologise to the offender for the arrest but it was that or he would lose his job. This information was given to the Gazette, but of course they will not print it for fear of the repercussions locally. The offender is the owner of a speed boat rental company in Rawai, who makes his living from transporting tourists.

Mods, if this also offends Thai Visa's sensibilities, by all means remove this post.

Im a Belgian and there was almost nothing in the papers here about this incident .I read about this incident in two belgian papers and in one it didnt even say he was punched en kicked after the accident .sounds like somebody was triying to cover up something .

Two pieces of information would be useful:

- The name of the Rawaii boat company, (so that people can boycott this business - hurting the wallet is often the only way to get through to these bullies)

- The name of the corrupt local police captain (who should be removed from his job without delay)

Simon

Im a Belgian and there was almost nothing in the papers here about this incident .I read about this incident in two belgian papers and in one it didnt even say he was punched en kicked after the accident .sounds like somebody was triying to cover up something .

the accident has been recounted in French on that belgium's website and on a few french forumboards :

7sur7

it is just disgusting !

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this incident. The Belgian gentleman is fine, the attacker is still in prison, the attackers truck is living more or less permanently in the Police compound and the Police Captain has lost his job.

Cheers

Just an update on this incident. The Belgian gentleman is fine, the attacker is still in prison, the attackers truck is living more or less permanently in the Police compound and the Police Captain has lost his job.

Cheers

Good result.

Cheers

Good result.

Nice to Hear Justice done! And Most important the Elderly Gentleman (And his Wife!) Are alright!

Thank the minority of Good Siamese "Old School" peoples and thier moral values for it.

Nasty People are growing in numbers in ALL nations just now.Crimes of violence are commonplace in societies which idolize the,Market Consumerism, succsess of wealth and the forever Young.And let our children be Babysat by playing violent video games and Viewing fantasy soap operas(Filled with advertising jingles(Lies) and sound bites)Before mental/Social developement!ALL modern Societies deal with this the new Mental Ilness.

It is sad that a Nation where Tourism/Foriegn investment are vital to the economy,has Developed the Consumtion sector but the Social Judiciary and Rights of the individual.

Tis easy for "US" to only see Farang targeted crime,But I am SURE for every Farang offended there are several if not a Hundred Thai Persons targeted by criminals.And yes Many Thai people are silenced by the fear or knowledge of helplesness.And threat of corruption and Mafia.

And many of us turn a blind eye to the causes in our everyday Cosumercratic lifestyles and purchace judgements.

WE are ALL in this Together in these trying times!Peace!

Two pieces of information would be useful:

- The name of the Rawaii boat company, (so that people can boycott this business - hurting the wallet is often the only way to get through to these bullies)

- The name of the corrupt local police captain (who should be removed from his job without delay)

Simon

Good idea Simon, but I fear that people have extremely short memories (after all it didn't happen to them) and the police pig involved will likely get a promotion which we won't hear about. I have no faith in Thai justice especially when it comes to aliens.

• 2 weeks later...

'Nasty People are growing in numbers in ALL nations just now.Crimes of violence are commonplace in societies which idolize the,Market Consumerism, succsess of wealth and the forever Young.And let our children be Babysat by playing violent video games and Viewing fantasy soap operas(Filled with advertising jingles(Lies) and sound bites)Before mental/Social developement!ALL modern Societies deal with this the new Mental Ilness.

It is sad that a Nation where Tourism/Foriegn investment are vital to the economy,has Developed the Consumtion sector but the Social Judiciary and Rights of the individual.'

you on drugs? or just way out of touch

• 3 weeks later...
you on drugs? or just way out of touch
Agree with you it sounds that way.

He does have a point IMO though, that in the present society, with everybody wanting more and more every day, people tend to loose their perspective. And in the long run it simply does not work, there is not more and more for everybody on this earth available, society is slowly but surely killing itself.