Used Lap Top

ChiangMaiThai

Go into Complaza, turn to the left inside the front doors and up the stairs and go onto the balcomy along the left side. Third shop down has as near as you will get to reasonable quality and at fair prices.

My point was, as you stated, about the 14K, may well not end up being a saving, since most laptops are second hand for a reason.

I do not intend to try and instruct you outside of to say, look for a box which is relatively clean, including the back/bottom. Check the keyboard functions and check the hard drive size and type in system, looking for an IBM hard drive.

Check RAM as well since XP will need 128 and most prefer 256. If it is 64M ask for a RAM upgrade. Check it with the new RAM installed.

Hope it helps.

Go into Complaza, turn to the left inside the front doors and up the stairs and go onto the balcomy along the  left side. Third shop down has as near as you will get to reasonable quality and at fair prices.

My point was, as you stated, about the 14K, may well not end up being a saving, since most laptops are second hand for a reason.

I do not intend to try and instruct you outside of to say, look for a box which is relatively clean, including the back/bottom. Check the keyboard functions and check the hard drive size and type in system, looking for an IBM hard drive.

Check RAM as well since XP will need 128 and most prefer 256. If it is 64M ask for a RAM upgrade. Check it with the new RAM installed.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the good info. I'll take a look.

Go into Complaza, turn to the left inside the front doors and up the stairs and go onto the balcomy along the  left side. Third shop down has as near as you will get to reasonable quality and at fair prices.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the good info. I'll take a look.

My firend in Hong Kong just picked up a new Compaq. Pentium M. 128 Ram. 20g hard drive. DVD drive. US$550.

Seems like a very good deal? Is Hong Kong the place to buy laptops?

VERY good deal indeed! Especially as it's a brand name AND has the Pentium M processor.

For cheap NEW (not used) laptop options around Chiang Mai, check out the previously mentioned Good Speed computer, they have several braches, the biggest and most cluttered ones are at Computer Plaza, one on the ground floor, one up the stairs on the left. Also there's a branch at the new Chiang Mai Panthip.

Also check Empower computer. They still have some NEW compaq laptops around, I bought one a couple of months ago for like 32K, then upped the memory to 512MB which added a little to the price. Arriced at like 35K I think. It is however NOT a Pentium M processor but a Celeron: Speed wise I couldn't care less, but Pentium 4 / Celeron processors in laptops generate a LOT of heat, meaning lots of noisy fans. So strictly in terms of heat/noise production, I'd spend a litte extra and go for a Pentium M if I had to do it again. Other then that, it's a fine laptop and no arguing about the price.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> a new Compaq. Pentium M. 128 Ram. 20g hard drive. DVD drive.

(Needless to say though, the 128MB memory needs to be thrown out and replaced by one and preferably two 256MB modules for a total of either 256 or 512MB. Xp doesn't run that well on 128MB. Or rather, XP runs pretty well, but as soon as you start doing anything that requires more than, say, Notepad, speed will plummet. :o Or if he already bought it with the 128MB in it then see if you could add a single 256MB memory module for a total of 384MB.. That would be enough, too.

Oh yes, on many cheapo laptops, also name brand ones, video memory may be SHARED with your regular memory. So if you have like 128MB then a 32MB chunk of that goes to your video card memory, leaving XP with just 96MB which would be totally, TOTALLY inadequate. :D Sharing video memory is already a compromise to save cost to begin with, so especially in that case memory needs to be increased.

> What should one pay for an extra 256 RAM?

I don't remember exactly.. It's something in the 2000 baht range I think, but whatever it is, laptop memory is little more expensive than regular memory. Installing it is super-straightforward, you can get to the memory compartment on the bottom of your laptop; it's in the manual, usually just one screw. BUT, at almost any place where you'd buy the memory, you can just have them install it. This will also guarantee that the two memory modules work together, which is not always the case. Trying it is the only 100% sure way to know.

> What should one pay for an extra 256 RAM?

I don't remember exactly..  It's something in the 2000 baht range I think, but whatever it is, laptop memory is little more expensive than regular memory. Installing it is super-straightforward, you can get  to the memory compartment on the bottom of your laptop; it's in the manual, usually just one screw.  BUT, at almost any place where you'd buy the memory, you can just have them install it.  This will also guarantee that the two memory modules work together, which is not always the case.  Trying it is the only 100% sure way to know.

FWIW I just found a Dell Lattitude LT for 800 Australian dollars. If you are interested, PM me.