BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
sceadugenga

Malee Fruit Juice

PS just a word of quick appreciation and gratitude.

You guys and gals are bar none the best community of folks on all of Thai Visa, IMHO.

I moderate and cruise about all the fora. Patts, General, Samui, etc.

You are all the best.

I've always considered moving to Chiang Rai- now I know why.

The coolest and most mellow (and forgiving) people live there....

Am I too late to comment that these juices are heavily sugar added? :o

P.S. Reading this thread actually makes me think of orange and I'll go get some now. :D

Edited by jayhech

Am I too late to comment that these juices are heavily sugar added? :D

P.S. Reading this thread actually makes me think of orange and I'll go get some now. :D

I don't think that Tipco adds any sugar (which is why I prefer them). :o

I do wonder about the "added sugar" issue.... and I likewise read the news post here on TV about the Thai study on heavy sugar content in Thai fruit juices and juice blends (without naming any brands).

I stay away from everything that's not labeled 100% juice. I tend to buy Tipco juices, which are labeled as 100% fruit juice or blend of 100% juices. Their kiwi, grape and cranberry blend are pretty good and taste fresh and relatively natural...

However, their 4 or 5 varieties of off the shelf orange juices taste SOOOOOO sweet.... nothing like fresh juice at all... Yet they also are labeled 100% juice.... It really makes me wonder how they do that...and about what an analysis would show on sugar levels????????

Even though it's more expensive, I've taken to buying the refrigerated Nestle brand at Villa and even, when it's sometimes in stock, the Florida's Natural brand, which is NOT from concentrate. The latter, IMHO, is as close to fresh squeezed as you can get.

You guys and gals are bar none the best community of folks on all of Thai Visa, IMHO.

You are all the best.

Heyyhh!! I take that personally :o

I do wonder about the "added sugar" issue.... and I likewise read the news post here on TV about the Thai study on heavy sugar content in Thai fruit juices and juice blends (without naming any brands).

I stay away from everything that's not labeled 100% juice. I tend to buy Tipco juices, which are labeled as 100% fruit juice or blend of 100% juices. Their kiwi, grape and cranberry blend are pretty good and taste fresh and relatively natural...

However, their 4 or 5 varieties of off the shelf orange juices taste SOOOOOO sweet.... nothing like fresh juice at all... Yet they also are labeled 100% juice.... It really makes me wonder how they do that...and about what an analysis would show on sugar levels????????

Even though it's more expensive, I've taken to buying the refrigerated Nestle brand at Villa and even, when it's sometimes in stock, the Florida's Natural brand, which is NOT from concentrate. The latter, IMHO, is as close to fresh squeezed as you can get.

I never drink the orange juice straight JF, sometimes only adding a good dash to a glass of soda water. This cuts the sweetness considerably but I'll admit the Tipco vs Malee argument is personal taste.

The Tipco tomato juice is inferior to Malee in my opinion and, as I said earlier, the one time I tried their OJ I didn't like it.

Edited by sceadugenga

Malee for me with a double vodka, I always ask which brand of orange they use when requesting my tipple

Screwdriver or Bloody Mary?

I like my BMs with a little tabasco and a squeeze of lime.

Sorry just noticed you said orange.

Edited by sceadugenga

You leave this thread for one day and it's all about screwdrivers and bloody marys!

Personally I go for a double vodka with a single Malee/Tipco/Juice or why not with absoultely nothing else just to heed my scandinavian urges. I do have a recipy for a nice liquorice vodka if anyone is interested. Made from local products of course.

I'm quite partial to a Pastis and water which I suspect maybe similar.

Where do you get the local vodka? :o

I'm surprised than none of the bloody mary drinkers have mentioned the spicy version of V8. Should be better than the local TJ, I would think.

And that they haven't substituted Tequila for Vodka for a change of pace. Ole!

Edited by klikster

You are all the best.

Mac, when I lived in CR (back in the 90's), we CR folks worked damned hard to establish a 'wild west' reputation. That reputation had survive an entire decade. We reveled in it .. nurtured it ..

.. and you just ruined it with a single post! :o

Sorry klikster....I'll let you continue being the lone gunslinger in Sergio Leone's "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly", Chiang Rai version.... :o

You're right; in 1975 when I first visited CR, 'twas the Wild West (and I mean that in a Good Way)!

You are all the best.

Come and visit us in CRAPS, Chiang Rai Amateur and Profesional Society, the golfers in Chiang Rai, and you will change your mind quickly.

We are mean, really mean!

Mellow, ha! Forgiving, ha ha ha!!!!

Cool, no, never! The most hot tempered people you can find in SEA!

:o:D:D

Hey guys...this thread has gone seriously off course and subject...

Anyone here still wanting to talk about Thai fruit juices????

Or... take it to another thread!!!! :o