Lost passport in bangkok

lumar

I have made many trips to Thailand and have never had a problem until this trip.

Monday, 30 Dec 2002

While staying in Bangkok at the Tai Pan Hotel, 25 Sukhumvit, Soi 23, I found that my room safe had been broken into and all contents removed. (Drivers License, Credit/ATM Cards, Airline Tickets (e-ticket), Passport and about $100 USD). My vacation cash was stored in a secret compartment so this was only an inconvenience. I quickly cancelled the Credit/ATM Cards, ordered a new Master Card and printed an e-ticket. Next, I called the US Embassy and found that they were closed until 2 Jan (Office Hours 8-11, 1-4). I was scheduled to depart BKK on 5 Jan. so, no problem.

Tactical Error #1 – Hotel security/management indicated that it was not necessary to report the theft to the police because the only real loss was the $100 and I concurred. Wrong, a lost/stolen passport must be reported to the police and you will not get a replacement without a written police report.

Thursday, 2 Jan 2003

I arrived at the US Embassy Main Building at about 9 AM. The only ID I had was a copy of my passport and a wallet size ID that I had made several years earlier by scanning, reducing, printing and laminating my passport data page. Security looked at the ID and let me in.

The citizen services office – small, drab, grey walls, plastic floor tile, 3 rows of metal chairs on the left for about 25, two windows on the right with one line, a third window in a still smaller room where they call people to give them news that may cause them to burst into flames or tears as the case may be. There was a prominent sign directing people with VISA questions to the next room. I took my place in line and when it came my turn to plead my case I was told: 1) “Fill out a lost passport form, don’t sign.” 2) “Fill out an application for a new passport, don’t sign.” 3) “Pay the cashier at window thirteen $85 USD, cash only, Thai or USD. Is that a problem?” (no) 4) “Bring forms and receipt back to this window.”

When I returned with the forms and receipt she asked if I had a copy of my passport. She took it, made a copy and then directed me to the Kodak Photo Shop in the Sindhorn Building, across the street, for passport photos. I obtained the photos, handed them over and took a seat. A few minutes later I was called to the window in the crying room. There I was informed that I would need to file a police report and was given directions to the Lumpini Police Station, a short walk down Wireless Rd.

The Lumpini Police Station is a dirty little shit hole. After talking to two different people I found myself being interrogated by a very tough looking officer with more silver on his epaulets than a 5 star general.

Tactical Error #2 – If you claim complete ignorance the police will write the report here but if you know where the loss occurred, which I did, then they will direct you to the appropriate precinct to file the report. When given the news I politely asked the officer to write the address in Thai for the taxi driver, he did, I thanked him and departed.

I repeated the previous interrogation with an equally tough looking but less decorated officer in an equally dirty shit hole at the Sukhumvit, Soi 55 police station and was rewarded with the requisite police report. Afterward I returned to the hotel for lunch, shower and fresh clothes and found that my new Master Card had arrived (3 days after I called).

At about 1 PM, I handed in the police report at the US Embassy and took a seat to watch the parade. The crowd seemed to be equally split between people who had lost their passport and people who needed additional pages in their passport. There were at least 3 people there who had gone to the airport without a passport because the Embassy was closed and discovered that you don’t get on a plane without one. There were several people who had lost all their cash and couldn’t pay the $85 for a new passport. They wondered off, probably to make collect calls to friends and relatives for help. And then there was a guy who came rushing in just after 1 PM saying that he had to catch a flight that night. He had to jump through all the hoops but when he came to the window he received immediate attention and he had passport in hand before I. Finally, they called my name and at 3:03 PM I had my new temporary, good for one year, passport and was good to go. (NOT) My new passport did not have an entry stamp so I had to go to the Thai Immigration Office for a Visa.

After a short taxi ride and two information booths, I found myself on the 4th floor of Thai Immigration at a door with Lost Passport on it. When I entered I was directed to a sign which said that I needed; 1) my new passport and a copy of the data page 2) original police report and a copy 3) a letter from the US Embassy. Go downstairs, across street by 7-11 for copies. When I returned with the copies I was directed to another sign; 1) fill out form 2) take number. The form was basic entry exit information. When they called number 33 I handed over the required documents and after about 10 minutes my passport had a 30-Day Visa stamped in it. The whole process took from 9 AM to 4 PM. I suddenly found myself very thirsty and took a taxi to NaNa Plaza for a couple of beers.

The Immigration Office is another shit hole and I would not want to show up there and be wanted for some violation for they are ready, willing and able to haul you off to jail.

Live the Life

Dave at pattyalovers dot com