Bamboo Variety Guadua Angustifolia

Smithson

I am looking for a particular variety of bamboo, Guadua Angustifolia. It is very common in South America and available as a plant in many parts of the world.

I am interest in growing some. Does anybody know if it's available in Thailand and if so where? Any help would be much appreciated.

I am looking for a particular variety of bamboo, Guadua Angustifolia. It is very common in South America and available as a plant in many parts of the world.

I am interest in growing some. Does anybody know if it's available in Thailand and if so where? Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's a comprehensive list of Thai bamboos and I don't see it on the list. May not be available.

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorti..._index.html#Mai

good luck

rgds

Great link somtham.....I've been looking for something like that for a while and also would like to source out more exotic varities of bamboo for planting on my land as landscape specimins and maybe later commercial production. I'm up here in CM and have been on the look-out for non common varities and only see the same same in the plant markets. One that I am looking for is a giant or Hawaiian [as they call it here] bamboo. Also, I've heard about an almost solid core varity that comes from Viet Nam and is actually imported here for furniture making.

When I have time, I'll scour that site and try to find scientific names for what I'm looking for.

Meanwhile, are there any local [Thai] sources of more exotic bamboo varities?? If so, where??

One option is to order them from abroad and I'll look thru my archive for a link on exotic plant ordering and pass it along to this forum.....but what about ag restrictions on bringing in exotic species of plant materials??

Hi Smithson,

I suggest you contact this organization - International Network for Bamboo and Rattan - or search their website to find a Thai bamboo expert and then ask him/her:

http://www.inbar.int/

Please let us know if you find some plants - I just looked it up and it sounds like an interesting plant for making construction materials. I do wonder though if there are some local species with the same qualities? I don't know.

Good luck.

Best regards,

JB.

Thanks for the responses. I'm a member of INBAR, they do some very interesting work, unfortunately Thailand isn't a member country.

I've been doing a lot of research. A good species here is D. Asper, which is common and inexpensive. It has thick walls and is good for construction, however I don't think anything matches the guadua - which has been called 'Gift of the Gods'.

The site with Thai names is very good, however not all species are listed and names for varieties may vary in different regions. We've got a lot of a particular variety growing, but I can't put a scientific name to it.

Did a search and I found your Guadua Angustifolia on this great website on bamboo, but it is out of Florida and no mention is made of international shipping. plant in a 3 gal is $45+shipping, so I can see why you are looking locally. If you find any local sources, please inform.

check it out, if you haven't already.....

http://www.tropicalbamboo.com/bamboo_shopp...Guadua%20Bamboo

BTW, smithson, where are you located in LOS??

Two other bamboo varieties worth looking for are Dendrocalamus sinicus and Dendrocalamus giganteus, some of the largest on the planter. Sinicus can have diameters of up to 15 inches!

Giganteus is already growing in parts of the north, sinicus is from Yunnan, not sure if it's in the north though.

• 3 weeks later...

I am interest in growing some. Does anybody know if it's available in Thailand and if so where?

I have records of an ornamental variety, Guadua angustifolia var. bicolor from Colombia, that a single plant was given by a French biologist to Kasetsart University in Bangkok in 1989, and planted on their grounds. This variety is characterized by green stems with yellow stripes.

... are there any local [Thai] sources of more exotic bamboo varities?

I can offer me as a source for only a few exotic bamboo species, e.g. Bambusa lako from Timor and Gigantochloa atroviolacea from Java, both grown in Chiang Mai from seeds.

I would like to know if there is a plant nursery within Thailand specialized in growing and propagating most or many of Thailand's native and introduced bamboos.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interest in growing some. Does anybody know if it's available in Thailand and if so where?

I have records of an ornamental variety, Guadua angustifolia var. bicolor from Colombia, that a single plant was given by a French biologist to Kasetsart University in Bangkok in 1989, and planted on their grounds. This variety is characterized by green stems with yellow stripes.

... are there any local [Thai] sources of more exotic bamboo varities?

I can offer me as a source for only a few exotic bamboo species, e.g. Bambusa lako from Timor and Gigantochloa atroviolacea from Java, both grown in Chiang Mai from seeds.

I would like to know if there is a plant nursery within Thailand specialized in growing and propagating most or many of Thailand's native and introduced bamboos.

Dear Oodii,

I am interested in ordering some lako, absolutely beautiful! Is that possible. Could they be send to Kathu, Phuket?

Yes, Rozand, it is possible to obtain some plants of Bambusa lako. Currently, I have one meter tall seedlings which develop well. I shall propagate them, probably not this year, and when I get enough potted plants I give them away for free, or in exchange of Guadua angustifolia or Otatea aztecorum. I do not run a commercial plant nursery. Please, send me a personal email to receive further details.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Oodii,

my personal e-mail **email removed per forum rules. Please PM the poster with your email--sbk*** I hope to hear from you. I cannot help you on any of the species you like, but I am currently raising some Cestrum nocturnum, not too many, but if they do well, would you be interested to trade?

be well,

Roger

Rozand,

Thank you for your offer. If you have Cestrum nocturnum available, I shall be happy to exchange with, as I like plants with fragrant flowers.

I still have two seedlings of "lako", one planted out in the garden, the other remains in pot, and both thrive well. Culms emerged green from the ground, having turned into dark green and, a few parts of the culm, into dark maroon. I suppose to be able to make small propagules from these plants in the first half of next year, before new shoots emerge above ground. Then it will be possible to hand you over a plant.

After having received seeds labeled as "Bambusa lako" from a reliable seed dealer last year, I searched the Internet on flowering records of this species. However, I failed to find any single record on flowering, but I found some articles in which experienced people, e.g. bamboo growers, seriously doubt that this species started flowering, consequently seeds claimed to be Bambusa lako could turn out to be something else. I suppose the seed dealer did not know it better and trusted his source, as we always tend to do as long as there is nothing that indicates a controversial view. The case of "lako" will remain controversial until there is a flowering record of this species published, or the plants derived from "lako" seeds become mature to show clearly their vegetative characters necessary for identification.

Meanwhile, I got in contact with someone abroad who has mature and true Bambusa lako plants, and I was promised to get a propagule later, likely next year. Further, I was told that plants of Bambusa lako were introduced into Malaysia and Thailand some time ago, but have no details and no proof. I am waiting for further news.

Can anyone identify the bamboo in the pics below? Someone has suggested that it's Bambusa Vulgaris, however while it may look similar the properties don't seem to match at all.

The local in Nakhon Nayok really like this stuff, apparently it isn't eaten by borers and can be nailed into without cracking. It also has a varnished look when dried. It looks similar to Liang, but has larger leaves. Diameter is up to 3", with thick culm walls.

Any ideas?

post-25665-1222923905_thumb.jpg

post-25665-1222924022_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smithson

Smithson,

I suggest placing a post in the Bamboo Identification Forum of bambooweb.info. There are bamboo experts (botanists and horticulturists) that might help you in identifying this interesting bamboo. Please, do supply in that Forum more photos, especially photos from those parts of the plant that are helpful/necessary for bamboo identification: a shoot having emerged from the ground, a one year old culm and a mature/old culm, a node of a culm showing the branches, an internode, a culm-sheath (outer side), foliage leaves, habit of the whole plant and approximate height and diameter of its tallest culms, and if the plant is found in cultivation or in the wild, and where. Further, please, supply in that Forum a short description of all the parts of the plant. What characters need to be described and in which way can easily perceived if you read any tropical bamboo species description (e.g. Bambusa vulgaris) from GrassBase, the Online World Grass Flora of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, I just get B. lako (seems to be) from JJ market. They are available in culm, 400 THB ea.

I 'm living in RungSit, 20 min drive from Kasetsart Univ. I will check if any Guadua angustifolia still there and let you know.

I also ordered some Moso (P. pubescens) from ebay. Will let you know when the seeds arrive.

Smithson, do you happen to have some Makinoi?

Smithson,

I suggest placing a post in the Bamboo Identification Forum of bambooweb.info. There are bamboo experts (botanists and horticulturists) that might help you in identifying this interesting bamboo. Please, do supply in that Forum more photos, especially photos from those parts of the plant that are helpful/necessary for bamboo identification: a shoot having emerged from the ground, a one year old culm and a mature/old culm, a node of a culm showing the branches, an internode, a culm-sheath (outer side), foliage leaves, habit of the whole plant and approximate height and diameter of its tallest culms, and if the plant is found in cultivation or in the wild, and where. Further, please, supply in that Forum a short description of all the parts of the plant. What characters need to be described and in which way can easily perceived if you read any tropical bamboo species description (e.g. Bambusa vulgaris) from GrassBase, the Online World Grass Flora of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

Yes, more info please. I want to use some in construction, inside use such as: rafters for a lightweight roof, stile, railing, some stuctural supports here and there, etc. Has anyone found the Guadua commercially in northern Thailand? Used it?

I have used some local stuff, don't know the name, for decorative purposes, seems to get those bugs that leave "sawdust" residue form the bamboo. Would another local variety do the job for my needs? What would be the local name, I know that can vary from area to area. I have been told that the best for furniture is the solid type from Burma, often painted black I believe.

I am trying to build as green as possible and have seen pictures of immense bamboo structures, so it may be possible here.

The bamboo in the pics is called something like Mai pai baa, it grows wild around here specially near water,

Its a hollow bamboo, up to 7inch diameter and near 30mtr high, nice and straight.

Its normally sold by the metre and thin-stripped for tying rice bundles, in effect, a bit like wire without the corrosiveness, [dont need to knot it].

its possible to eat the new shoots at about 9in high, but be quick!

Cheers Lickey.

post-41116-1225384946_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1225384975_thumb.jpg

I was told that plants of Bambusa lako were introduced into Malaysia and Thailand some time ago, but have no details and no proof. I am waiting for further news.

Meanwhile I got proof that Bambusa lako (Timor Black Bamboo) is available in Thailand. In Chiang Mai, I found three plant sellers at the Khamthiang Market offering potted plants of Bambusa lako as ไผ่ดำ (phai dam), big ones at 2,500 Baht, small ones at 400 Baht.

Last year, I bought "Bambusa lako" seeds offered via Internet. The seeds germinated and I got some seedlings, which are now big enough to identify this bamboo to be definitely not true Bambusa lako. Therefore, be careful when buying seeds from Internet sources.

I just get B. lako (seems to be) from JJ market

mrissara, you can check from the following two blogs, each with a bamboo photo set, if you received true Bambusa lako:

http://BamboosBaanSammiThailand.blogspot.com

http://BamboosChiangMaiThailand.blogspot.com

Images: Bamboos in Chiang Mai, Bamboos at Khamthiang Market

The Thai name, ไผ่ดำ (phai dam) ["dam" means black], has been applied not only to Bambusa lako, but also to Phyllostachys nigra, and other species with black stems (culms) as well. For a first approach in identifying your plant, look at the internode. The internode is round in cross section in B. lako, whereas it is grooved or flattened in Phyllostachys. Further, foliage leaves of B. lako are larger than those of P. nigra.

Has anyone found the Guadua commercially in northern Thailand?

IraqRon, I have not seen any Guadua species grown in northern Thailand. The introduced plant, Guadua angustifolia var. bicolor from Colombia (mentioned in a previous post) is an ornamental variety, suitable for a large garden, and is unlikely to be planted commercially in Thailand. However, I got records that the wild form of Guadua angustifolia, which is one of the most commercially important bamboo species in northern South America, has recently been introduced to Central Thailand.

I just get B. lako (seems to be) from JJ market

mrissara, you can check from the following two blogs, each with a bamboo photo set, if you received true Bambusa lako:

The Thai name, ไผ่ดำ (phai dam) ["dam" means black], has been applied not only to Bambusa lako, but also to Phyllostachys nigra, and other species with black stems (culms) as well. For a first approach in identifying your plant, look at the internode. The internode is round in cross section in B. lako, whereas it is grooved or flattened in Phyllostachys. Further, foliage leaves of B. lako are larger than those of P. nigra.

I, indeed, looking for a P. nigra which will run :o , but there was no such bamboo in that day.

They have only the one with round culm, absent of tessellate venation. So I assumed that the culm 's B. lako. So, I bought it as a substitute :D .

Is P. nigra available at KumTiang market or DoiSaKet nursery?

The bamboo in the pics is called something like Mai pai baa, it grows wild around here specially near water,

Its a hollow bamboo, up to 7inch diameter and near 30mtr high, nice and straight.

Its normally sold by the metre and thin-stripped for tying rice bundles, in effect, a bit like wire without the corrosiveness, [dont need to knot it].

its possible to eat the new shoots at about 9in high, but be quick!

Cheers Lickey.

Lickey, I believe this variety is Bambusa Bluemena or Pai Sisuk. We have two large stands of this. It grows very fast and is sometimes used for construction, although the culm walls are a bit thin.

The favored material for construction is Pai Tong (D. Asper), from what I've read it's second only to Guadua. Building with bamboo is possible, however it's important to make sure it's the right variety, is harvested at the right time of year and is between 3-5 years old. It should also be preserved, the most effective and environmentally safe method uses borax.

However, I got records that the wild form of Guadua angustifolia, which is one of the most commercially important bamboo species in northern South America, has recently been introduced to Central Thailand.

This is very interesting, if you have any more info pls post. I was reading your blog, the bamboo I have growing looks very similar to phai khao lam, however the locals call it lum a lok and nobody has mentioned it's use for khoa lam. Also, the walls are quite thick.

I have another mystery bamboo, the Thais refer to it as Pai Ratchini, I've seen it in Nakhon Nayok, apparently it was brought there from Prachinburi by HM (which would explain it's name). It's quite beautiful and covered in a white dust which gives it a gray appearance. Has anyone seen this before?

post-25665-1225427176_thumb.jpg

post-25665-1225427377_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smithson

I have another mystery bamboo, the Thais refer to it as Pai Ratchini, I've seen it in Nakhon Nayok, apparently it was brought there from Prachinburi by HM (which would explain it's name). It's quite beautiful and covered in a white dust which gives it a gray appearance. Has anyone seen this before?

That could be Dendrocalamus membranaceus or "Pai Sang Nuan"

It looks similar, but the Sang Nuan doesn't have the white dust.

It looks similar, but the Sang Nuan doesn't have the white dust.

Could it be Dendrocalamus sericeus "Pai Sang Hmon"? I heard it has kind of dust.

Is P. nigra available at KumTiang market or DoiSaKet nursery?

mrissara, please, enter the post "Bamboos at Khamthiang Market, Chiang Mai" of the blog "Bamboos in Chiang Mai, Thailand", to see what bamboos are currently available on this market. As for Phyllostachys nigra f. nigra, the black-stem variety, has not seen in October 2008, whereas another variety, P. nigra f. boryana, has been available for sale. A photo of f. boryana can be seen in the photo album of that post, "Bamboos at Khamthiang Market", and in the photo album "Bamboos at Baan Sammi". The distinguishing character of f. boryana is an internode with a marble-like pattern: originally green, the stem develops dark-purplish or blackish cloudy blotches, but not into uniform black color. This variety will be propagated at Baan Sammi, which is not a plant nursery but a private resort. Its garden (4 rai) comprises several bamboos, which can be made available (in small or large quantity or size) for anybody on a non-commercial basis, e.g. plant exchange, or guests can obtain plants for free.

the locals call it lum a lok

Smithson, based on the local name "lum a lok" you provided for this bamboo, I rather suppose it is ไผ่ลำมะลอก (phai lam malok), the common name from central Thailand for Dendrocalamus longispathus, a thick-walled bamboo. There are other local names for this bamboo, too. Please check if the description from Kew matches with your plant.

Could it be Dendrocalamus sericeus "Pai Sang Hmon"? I heard it has kind of dust.

Locals of Chiang Mai consider ไผ่ซางหม่น (phai sang mon) as a synonym of ไผ่ซางราชินี (phai sang rachini), which means it should be the same species, Dendrocalamus sericeus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

mrissara!

... have some Makinoi?

Phyllostachys makinoi was introduced by the Royal Project, Doi Ang Khang, mountainous northern part of Chiang Mai Province. Yesterday I saw plants offered at the Royal Project Fair, 13-16 Dec 2008, Chiang Mai, Convention Hall of the Chiang Mai University.

Google for: "bamboosthailand7.shutterfly.com" to see photos; there is also a link for text information.

Moso (P. pubescens) seeds arrived last week. Let me know if you are interested to grow some.

Moso Bamboo, Phyllostachys edulis, synonym P. pubescens, from China and Japan, was introduced by the Royal Project, too. I was told, this bamboo thrives well at Doi Ang Khang, and I saw a small plant at the Royal Project Bamboo Collection in Chiang Mai were it survived but does not thrive at all (perhaps due to the hotter climate and long pronounced dry season of the Chiang Mai plain). Also, it is said that propagules of this species often will need many years to get established and will then start growing well. So be patient with your Moso seedlings.

Many thanks for such a good and bad news. I wish I could visit Doi AngKang soon, could be in Jan. I 'm looking for a Moso garden on my little land in the next 10 years. This is a looooong term project.

I went to Kasetsart U. last week. Only problem is I do not know the exact location for the Guadua angustifolia. I asked people at the herbarium (belong to ministry of agri and forest, located in the campus) but they do not heard of the boo. Would you mind to share more detail regarding to the record, such as faculty or person who was the recipient?

Mrissara,

Here my sources of information on Guadua angustifolia var. bicolor, a variety of Guadua angustifolia with yellow stripes on its green stem:

"Introduced from Colombia into Switzerland and France in the late 1980's. One plant was given to the Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand, in 1989, and planted on its grounds" (The Bamboos of the World, by D. Ohrnberger, 1999, page 353. Published by Elsevier, ISBN 0-444-50020-0). Claude Rifat, a French plant collector and biologist, traveled through Southeast Asia and brought this plant, under the name Guadua angustifolia cv. Joseph de Jumonville, to the University ("cv." = cultivar = cultivated variety). As C. Rifat was rather a pharmacologist than a plant taxonomist, he might have had contacts with members of the Faculty of Pharmacy, or related faculties, and the plant could be on their grounds.

Claude Rifat published his variety of Guadua under the name as mentioned before in the Journal of Bamboo Research, volume 8 (no. 4), 1989: pages 37-39. This Journal is published in China; I read C. Rifat's contribution many years ago but do not own a copy.

Yesterday, I searched the Internet and got to know of C. Rifat's untimely death, so we can't ask him about his plant introduction.

Ximena Londoño (Instituto Vallecaucano de Investigaciones Científicas, Cali, Colombia, South America) published the same Guadua variety under the name Guadua angustifolia var. bicolor in the same year: "Una nueva variedad de Guadua angustifolia Kunth de Colombia" in Revista de la Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Exactas, volume 17 (65), 1989, pages 379-381. This bamboo was introduced into the USA under this name, has become established and is now well-known in horticulture, and many links can be found if you google for "Guadua" + "angustifolia" + "bicolor". Hence, if anybody is interested in this yellow-striped Guadua variety, or in its wild, green-stem variety, it should be easiest obtainable from the USA or Colombia.