• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crosas unveiled at Parkhead in landmark move

Updated: August 10, 2008, 4:06 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Celtic unveiled new signing Marc Crosas in front of their supporters today and revealed more Barcelona prospects could follow the midfielder to Parkhead.

The 20-year-old completed his switch from the Nou Camp this weekend as a special relationship between the clubs came to fruition after four years.

The player, who has signed a four-year deal, was paraded to loud cheers from the Celtic support before the team began their Clydesdale Bank Premier League title defence with a 1-0 win over St Mirren.

The Spaniard, who made his first-team debut for Barcelona in 2006, will cost Celtic an initial £415,000, rising to a potential £1.6million depending on appearances.

The deal is the culmination of talks between the clubs which began under former Hoops manager Martin O'Neill.

The complex transfer gives Barcelona the right to buy back Crosas in two years for £1.65million with the Glasgow club retaining a claim to 25% of any future fee commanded by the player.

If the Catalan club do not take up that option, they would receive 25% of any transfer fee Celtic receive from another club.

Crosas, who helped Lyon win the French league and cup double in a loan spell last season, is the first player to move from Barca under the terms.

But Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has revealed that Argentina forward Javier Saviola and Portugal winger Ricardo Quaresma earlier refused the opportunity.

'We would have taken Quaresma and Saviola but the players decided not to come,' he told the Sunday Herald.

'We have always thought that this formula could be successful, so we have looked at Crosas.

'We are not finally there but that deal is now a structure which will hopefully allow us to add players going forward.

'Hopefully it makes a lot of sense. Not only with Barcelona but with other clubs too.

'A young or fringe Barcelona player could come here, play in our first team, play in front of 60,000 and in Europe and develop as a player. Both clubs could benefit from that.'

• 2 weeks later...
Crosas unveiled at Parkhead in landmark move

Updated: August 10, 2008, 4:06 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Celtic unveiled new signing Marc Crosas in front of their supporters today and revealed more Barcelona prospects could follow the midfielder to Parkhead.

The 20-year-old completed his switch from the Nou Camp this weekend as a special relationship between the clubs came to fruition after four years.

The player, who has signed a four-year deal, was paraded to loud cheers from the Celtic support before the team began their Clydesdale Bank Premier League title defence with a 1-0 win over St Mirren.

The Spaniard, who made his first-team debut for Barcelona in 2006, will cost Celtic an initial £415,000, rising to a potential £1.6million depending on appearances.

The deal is the culmination of talks between the clubs which began under former Hoops manager Martin O'Neill.

The complex transfer gives Barcelona the right to buy back Crosas in two years for £1.65million with the Glasgow club retaining a claim to 25% of any future fee commanded by the player.

If the Catalan club do not take up that option, they would receive 25% of any transfer fee Celtic receive from another club.

Crosas, who helped Lyon win the French league and cup double in a loan spell last season, is the first player to move from Barca under the terms.

But Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has revealed that Argentina forward Javier Saviola and Portugal winger Ricardo Quaresma earlier refused the opportunity.

'We would have taken Quaresma and Saviola but the players decided not to come,' he told the Sunday Herald.

'We have always thought that this formula could be successful, so we have looked at Crosas.

'We are not finally there but that deal is now a structure which will hopefully allow us to add players going forward.

'Hopefully it makes a lot of sense. Not only with Barcelona but with other clubs too.

'A young or fringe Barcelona player could come here, play in our first team, play in front of 60,000 and in Europe and develop as a player. Both clubs could benefit from that.'

Top of the league.... Rangers denied a stone wall goal at Aberdeen though. Old firm next week at Parkhead . Hope its a good match

• 4 weeks later...

Bhoys hope to delay Nakamura Japan return

Updated: September 15, 2008, 9:35 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Celtic appear resigned to losing Shunsuke Nakamura - but they are hoping to persuade him to stay until the end of the season.

The Japan midfielder, 30, has hinted he may quit the Scottish Premier League champions during the January transfer window.

Nakamura's contract expires in the summer, although the club have an option to extend his stay for another season.

However, the player is finding travelling between Glasgow and Japan for international duty increasingly difficult and he wants to return home for the sake of his young family.

Hoops chief executive Peter Lawwell will try to convince him to see out the current campaign but may be fighting a losing battle.

"Celtic would be more than happy for Shunsuke to stay here for as long as he wants and certainly we want him to remain here until the end of the season," Lawwell said.

"But his agent has intimated Shunsuke would like to return to Japan at some point."

United will win the Treble....! :D
Thank you for your confidence Red, but after Friday Nights result, I fear Oxford will hardly win a game, let alone a treble :D

Well who are Oxford Celtic....! :o

redrus :D

Now Now Red, Oxford United, say it slowly, you know you want to, :D United for the treble Ha Ha, I am not sure which type mind

Good Luck

Moss

Samaras enchanted by Parkhead heritage

Updated: September 17, 2008, 11:02 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Celtic striker Georgios Samaras insists money cannot buy the ''history, tradition or heritage'' that characterises the Parkhead club.

The Greece international had a loan spell with the Hoops last season, helping Gordon Strachan's side pick up their third Clydesdale Bank Premier League title in a row.

Samaras, 23, resisted other offers to make the deal permanent in the summer, signing from Manchester City for around £1.2 million.

The lanky hit-man has scored five goals in his last three games and that form should see him partner Scott McDonald in tonight's Champions League Group E opener against Danish side Aalborg at Parkhead.

The former Heerenveen striker admits he is more than happy with life in Glasgow.

''Trust me, Celtic is not just a club, it is more than a club,'' Samaras said.

''The important thing is not the money, it is a mentality of the club. Other teams may be able to spend a lot of money but if you don't have the mentality it will not go very well. You cannot buy the history, tradition or heritage of Celtic.

''They really love football here and the passion is unbelievable.

''You can't imagine how many supporters around the world Celtic have. If you are playing against Manchester United, Villarreal or Motherwell, you always have a full house of around 60,000 people.

''I realised that in the game against Barcelona here last season, the atmosphere was crazy. Where in the world will you find a better thing?

''So I am really happy here and I believe that I made the right step in my career.''

Strachan reiterated the draw of the Scottish club and admitted that regular Champions League football is one advantage that many English managers miss out on.

The Celtic boss looked forward to taking the Hoops down to his former club Manchester United later in the section.

The former Southampton and Coventry chief said: ''If anybody gets the chance of being Celtic manager, they should take it.

''The Champions League nights are a huge, huge bonus. You can look back over the last few years and say these are nights you'll never forget. Hopefully, the fans will never forget the nights here.

''I had been to Old Trafford lots of times as a manager but never in the Champions League.

''The whole world is watching and it's different from sneaking in with Southampton or Coventry and sneaking out again.''

This season's team is not doing it for me, to be honest.

Paul Hartley is the only shining light in my opinion. Far, far better than Brown.

Don't know what Strachan was doing replacing Hartley at the Old Firm game.

Guess he's too wee to see right across the park!

Usually I have a few favourites in the team, but it's not happening right now.

Early days. Let's hope I am more enthusiastic after October and we're sitting

pretty in Scotland and Europe.

CelticBhoy

Samaras looking the part, 7 goals and Spl top scorer. Rest of the team look out of sync to me. Away to Villareal a week on wednesday will be very tough. They finished above Barcelona in La Ligue last season . Looking for a draw at most.

Celtic chase US goalkeeper Cervi

Cervi has applied for an Italian passport to ease a move to Europe

Celtic have confirmed they are close to signing 22-year-old American goalkeeper Dominic Cervi.

Cervi, a University of Tulsa graduate, rejected the chance to sign a contract with Major League Soccer after being selected by Chicago Fire.

He had a trial with Portsmouth without being offered a deal and has most recently been training with Celtic.

The Scottish champions had targeted Cervi, capped at under-23 level, after their pre-season tour to the USA.

Cervi, who spent time with Tulsa Golden Hurricane and Michigan Bucks, played for his country at the Toulon Under-21 Tournament and was part of the US squad for the Olympics in Beijing.

His parents are Italian and he is applying for a passport that would allow him to play in Europe without having to receive a work permit. MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to Celtic's interest in Dominic Cervi

Celtic are looking for more competition for Poland goalkeeper Artur Boruc.

Mark Brown, formerly of Inverness Caledonian Thistle, is currenlty Boruc's understudy.

Meanwhile, Celtic have refused to say whether Aarau's Switzerland midfielder Sandro Burki is also a target.

• 1 month later...

I said earlier in this forum that this season's team weren't doing it for me,

so I better go ahead and eat my words since we've just gone 9 SPL wins in a row!

But I was right about Hartley. He is coming on leaps and bounds. He's my favourite still.

Hamilton toworrow. Could be the 10-in-a-row we've always fancied!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hibs just took us away from a 13-in-a-row. Beaten 2-0.

The wee man took off Hartley AGAIN. I don't know what it is that he's not seeing in him.

He had a blinder of a first half; with a narrowly missed 25-yard effort.

Should be allowed to stay on the pitch for a good few 90 minute spells to make him really settle in.

The Gers had a lucky win against Hamilton :o , but we're still 4 points clear.

Got 3 points, finally, in a European match! Shame it was our last!

Anyway, back to the SPL today. The Jambos should be up for this

after their decent result against the Gers last week. It's our last

home game for 2008 so let's hope it's a good yin.

P.S. Hartley played the full 90 minutes midweek.

Let's hope that continues on today.

No matter what the result is at next Saturday's Old Firm

we (the mighty Glasgow Celtic) will enter 2009 atop the Spl.

The 3 - 0 demolition of Falkirk yesterday assured this.

Me thinks this 'yellow' away shirt is the key.

Can't wait to see the Bhoys try it on in Europe!

P.S. No sign of Hartley!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with you on Hartley. OK Gordon Strachan does well in fits and starts but as an old-timer myself he worries me with the personal (in my opinion) issues he appears to take with some of his younger, talented players. I think so anyway.

Good news about the highest goal scorer for in SPL Boyd going to Birmingham. He hails from my neck of the woods in Ayrshire and it rankles particularly as Celtic supporters in these parts go from the minority to almost the non-existent.

Well done so far Celtic but don't go to sleep and don't be petty Strachan.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see McGeady is out of the dog house.

Would have been tragic if he hadn't got a game again.

I feared the worst when he was dropped so near

the transfer time.

Playing the 'Dons in a couple of hours.

Fingers crossed - will be a tough one, I'm sure.

:o:D

SPL leaders shocked

A second-half double from Zander Diamond gave Aberdeen a 4-2 win over champions Celtic in a sensational game at Pittodrie.

Scott Brown equalised for Celtic after 25 minutes to cancel out Gary McDonald's headed opener for the home side a minute earlier.

Stuart Duff restored Aberdeen's lead with a clinical finish after 31 minutes before Scott McDonald headed his side back level after the break.

However Diamond's double, both headers from Charlie Mulgrew deliveries, gave the Dons their first win over Celtic at Pittodrie since 2001.

Celtic boss Gordon Strachan made five changes to the side that defeated Dundee in the Scottish Cup with Georgios Samaras, Gary Caldwell, Andreas Hinkel, Paul Hartley and Barry Robson returning to the starting line-up.

Aberdeen only made one change to the side that defeated Kilmarnock midweek with Stuart Duff coming in for Andrew Considine with new signing Javan Vidal having to be content with a place on the bench.

The visitors were dealt an early blow after when Boruc injured his groin in the warm-up and had to be replaced by Mark Brown.

The game started at a frenetic pace with both sides eager to press forward. Aberdeen had an early let-off when Richard Foster was in the right place to clear Scott McDonald's attempt off the line after eight minutes.

But it was the home side who were feeling aggrieved less than a minute later. Darren Mackie latched on to a misplaced defensive header from Caldwell and crossed for the onrushing Gary McDonald who looked to have been bundled over by Scott Brown but referee Douglas McDonald waved play on.

The Dons continued their good start with Scott Severin's header blocked by Caldwell before Darren Mackie had a goal disallowed for offside.

However it was Aberdeen who made the breakthrough after 24 minutes when a pin-point cross from Stuart Duff found McDonald and his looping header gave Brown no chance.

But the Dons' lead lasted less than a minute with Aiden McGeady beating Kerr before crossing for Scott Brown who prodded home a quick-fire equaliser.

Aberdeen got themselves back in front just after the hour mark. With Stephen McManus off the pitch receiving treatment, the Celtic defence only managed to clear a free-kick into the path of Kerr who crossed for Stuart Duff to score his first goal for the Dons with a well-placed first-time shot.

Lee Miller could have increased Aberdeen's lead just before the break but Caldwell was alert to clear the danger.

Celtic started the second half brightly with Severin having to make a last-ditch challenge to block Scott Brown's shot within two minutes of the re-start.

Diamond did well to turn an inviting McGeady cross out of play for a fruitless corner as the onslaught from the visitors continued.

The home side benefited from a touch of fortune after 61 minutes when Hinkel raced away from Aluko before putting in a vicious dipping cross that came back off the upright before being lashed over the bar by Hartley.

Gordon Strachan made his first change with less than 25 minutes to go, bringing on Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink for Samaras.

Kerr picked up the first booking of the day for a strong challenge on Hinkel soon after.

Jamie Langfield pulled off a brilliant save to deny Scott McDonald after 72 minutes but the visitors did not have to wait long for an equaliser. Robson found McDonald with a curling cross and the diminutive striker nodded the ball past home from close range.

However, Aberdeen took the lead for a third time when Zander Diamond headed home a beautiful delivery from Charlie Mulgrew after 75 minutes in front of an ecstatic home support.

The Dons defender then got Aberdeen's fourth three minutes later when he bravely bundled the ball home at the back post from another Mulgrew delivery. The Dons defence held firm until the finish to give Jimmy Calderwood his first home victory over Celtic.

I notice that Senor Jockstar likes to only post the

gloomy news associated with my beloved 'Tic.

We all know what foot he kicks with then . . . . :D:o

I am a Rangers fan. I have never hid that. But if you look back a bit in this thread you will see that i do post positive stuff. :D

The league is yours to lose mate. We just need to keep winning and hope you fuc_k up. :D

Archived